Comparing the Finest Blue Shampoos of 2022
MATRIX Total Results Brass Off Blue Shampoo — Best Overall
The Total Results Brass Off by Matrix is a professional clarifying and toning shampoo that works to neutralize brassy hair while refreshing it with cooler, brighter tones. Ideal for brunettes who lighten their hair, this shampoo works by depositing blue-violet pigments that will balance out, reduce, and cancel out those brassy tones. Use this in place of your regular shampoo 1-2 times per week, leave on for 3-5 minutes, and follow with your regular or specialty Brass-Off conditioner.
- This shampoo is suitable for both color-treated and natural hair
- Depending on your hair color, it is advised to use sparingly when first starting out
Joico’s Blue Shampoo and Conditioner set work together to instantly neutralize unwanted orange tones by depositing tone-correcting pigments that attach to the hair fibers and stay attached through multiple washes. Ideal for highlighted or lightened brunette shades, this set will also help keep your color vibrant and brighter longer as each formula infuses hair with hydration and nutrients to make the hair color last. Alternate this formula with your regular shampoo 2-3 times per week and keep on for 1-3 minutes for the best results.
- This formula also delivers complete root-to-tip repair, UV protection, frizz-fighters, and shine for healthier hair
- This shampoo may make your shower dirty but will not stain
Fanola No Orange Shampoo — Honorable Mention
The No Orange Shampoo by Fanola is an anti-orange toning shampoo that has special blue-violet pigments and is ideal for brunette, dark blonde, grey, and platinum hair colors. The specialized blue pigments work to tone down and diminish any unwanted orange and brassy tones and neutralize undesired copper and red reflections. Use this up to twice per week, alternating with your regular shampoo and leave on for 1-5 minutes depending on brassiness.
- This shampoo is also safe for use on extensions
- This is not a sulfate-free shampoo
Aveda Blue Malva Color Shampoo — Contender
Aveda’s Blue Malva Shampoo will add silvery brightness to gray hair and will neutralize brassy tones in all other shades. This divine-smelling shampoo will also gently cleanse your hair and scalp and is fragranced with certified organic ylang-ylang, lemon, eucalyptus, and other pure flower and plant essences. This shampoo should be used every 2-3 shampoos for consistent, long-lasting color enhancement.
- All Aveda products are developed under a rigorous set of environmental sustainability values
- Use a smaller amount if your hair is already chemically treated
Innovation Blue Shimmer Argan Oil Shampoo — Also Consider
Innovation’s Blue Shimmer Shampoo is a professional formula made to enhance the shine of white, blonde, and silver hair. Fortified with silk proteins, vitamin b5, and collagen with added argan oil for shine, this shampoo will remove yellow and brassy tones while revitalizing your color and refreshing any highlights. In addition to color correction, you can expect enhanced shine and soft, lustrous feeling hair.
- A Blue Shimmer conditioner is also available for even better results
- This is not a paraben-free formula
Tressa WaterColors Intense Shampoo-Blue — Editor's Pick
If you are looking for a more intense color payoff or want to change up your color slightly, this Watercolors Intense Color Shampoo is a great option. This shampoo is made to refresh, maintain, and intensify hair that is already in the blue-hued family and will also enhance pre-lightened hair and naturally darker blondes or bright/light red tones as well. Effective on all hair types, this can also be used as an intense toner and will leave hair in great condition with its included natural and renewable conditioners.
- This product contains no salt, no parabens, no sulfates, or peroxides
- This is a very powerful color depositing shampoo, so read instructions carefully
Roffler Thick and Rich Shampoo Blue Formula — Another Option
Roffler’s Thick and Rich Shampoo has been one of the best-kept secrets in the men’s styling industry, yet works great for women as well. Their Thick & Rich Blue Shampoo is a highly concentrated, deep-cleansing formula that removes excess oil and styling aid build-up and the added blue tone will enhance dark brown and blue-grey hair tones. Ideal for oily hair types, this shampoo is gentle enough for daily use and will also control excess oil production.
- The formulation of this shampoo opens the cuticle slightly for a thorough, deep cleansing action
- This shampoo has a slightly higher price point than some other options