Zoe Kravitz sadly filed for divorce from her husband, Karl Glusman on Dec. 23, after 18 months of marriage. Here’s everything you need to know about him.
Zoe Kravitz, 32, and her husband Karl Glusman, 33, shockingly called it quits right before the holidays. On Jan. 2, the actress’ rep confirmed to PEOPLE that she filed for divorce on Dec. 23, but didn’t give a reason for the split. The sad news comes after they celebrated their one-year wedding anniversary in June. The couple both took to social media to share touching tributes on the special day, but have yet to speak out about their separation.
In Zoe’s anniversary tribute post, she shared a stunning black and white photo of her and Karl that was taken during their wedding and captioned it, “one year.” Karl also shared a sweet caption with his own post. “One year. *🌀‼️❔*🌀❕Not the year we expected… but I feel like if we can make it through this, we can take on anything,” he wrote. “I love you. More than anything,” it read.
So, who is Karl and what are the details of his romantic history with Zoe? Find out below.
1. Karl is an actor who appeared in a very controversial film. “I was born in the Bronx,” he told The Oregonian in 2015, “but my parents hated living in the Bronx so they moved to Oregon when I was 6 months old. After my parents split up my mother moved to Lake Oswego and I went to Lake Oswego High School. And then finally I went to Portland State University for a year and a half before dropping out and moving to New York. I took my first acting classes in Portland at Portland State University and the Portland Actors Conservatory.”
Karl has appeared in movies like Stonewall, Embers, Nocturnal Animals and The Neon Demon. He also had a lead role in Gaspar Noé’s controversial drama Love, a film depicting graphic sex.
2. He dated Zoe for two years before they got engaged. The two met in 2016, “at a bar with some mutual friends,” according to Rolling Stone. Karl had a crush on Zoe and was “initially too nervous” to talk to her. She hung out outside the bar afterwards, pretending to be on her phone, before inviting him back to her place for an afterparty with friends. They made out – “It was cute!” – and he moved in soon afterwards. “I can be my weirdest self around him,” Zoe said. “It’s so relaxing to be around someone where you can be a hundred percent how you feel.”
Zoe announced their engagement in a 2018 interview. “Oh yeah, I’m engaged,” Zoe told Rolling Stone’s Josh Eells in the Nov. 2018 issue, after Josh noticed “the huge diamond” on her left ring finger. “No, I’m engaged! I haven’t told anyone yet — I mean, I haven’t told the world. I wanted to keep it private.”
3. He was cast in Love after he had his heart broken. “A couple of years ago,” Karl told Variety in 2015, “I had a very intense breakup. I ended up flying to Paris to heal myself, and my friends brought me to this club one night where I met a girl at the door name Ambre who found out I was an actor.
“I told her my favorite movie was Enter the Void,” he added. “She said, “Oh, Gaspar! He’s my friend.” Six months later, she said, ‘Send me a selfie. Gaspar wants an American in his next movie.’ A week and a half after that, he called me on Skype. He asked me how I was doing, and if I was comfortable showing my d–k in his movie.
4. He and Zoe were married in Paris. The lovebirds had their ceremony at Zoe’s famous dad Lenny Kravitz‘s home in Paris in 2019. The guest list had a massive amount of celebrities, including Zoe’s parents Lenny and Lisa Bonet, her stepfather Jason Momoa, Nicole Kidman, Laura Dern, Reese Witherspoon, Shailene Woodley, Sam Taylor-Johnson, Denzel Washington, Chris Pine and Cara Delevingne.
5. He likes Kendrick Lamar, ice cream and gun control. Judging by Karl’s Instagram – which he doesn’t update all that much – he appears to be a fan of Kendrick Lamar. His post on March 24, 2018 – “Protect our youth. Regulate,” he captioned a picture of a protest demanding gun control – shows he’s in favor of further firearm regulation. He also has a few pictures of his fiancée, Zoe, eating deserts, proving that he’s sweet on his sweetheart. Congratulations to these two on finding love!