‘The Voice’ live shows start Nov. 30 and the top 17 will take the stage for another round of performances. Jim Ranger is one of the frontrunners to win season 19. HL has rounded up 5 key things to know about him.
Jim Ranger, 38, is one of the talented members of Blake Shelton’s team on The Voice. From the very beginning of season 19, Jim has been one to watch. So, who is Jim Ranger? From his childhood to his past with American Idol, here’s what you need to know.
1. Jim is a campus pastor living in Bakersfield, California. He is also a worship leader at his father’s church, according to his NBC bio. He loves his role in the church, but he feels that he has neglected his passion for secular music. He auditioned for The Voice to expand his music career and follow his dreams.
2. He started singing at 4 years old. He learned the guitar when he was 13 years old. Jim spent a large portion of his childhood traveling the country in an RV with his parents, who performed and preached at churches and festivals.
3. He auditioned for American Idol! Jim performed an original song called “Drive” for the judges. He moved on to the Hollywood round, where he was eliminated.
4. Jim and his wife have known each other since they were babies. He married his wife, Camilla, when he was 20 years old. They have three kids together.
5. Gwen Stefani told him that he could win the competition! The judges have loved Jim’s performances, and Gwen even said he’s one to beat. Jim never imagined that he would make it this far in season 19. “I came to this just hoping to make it to the blinds, just to make it in front of the judges and have a chance to sing,” Jim told KGET.com. “To have that experience and then knowing at the end of that round, you know, this is a whole different stage. To be going that far and to have that feedback and to have Gwen Stefani say she’s a fan of mine. It’s all very overwhelming.”