‘Vampire Diaries’ crew member Sarah Jones died tragically at the age of 27 on Feb. 20, and now her peers are petitioning for her to be honored during the Oscars on March 2. We’re sure you’d like to know more about Sarah, so HollywoodLife.com has found five facts about the beloved camera assistant.
Friends, family and co-workers were devastated when Sarah Jones was killed by a train while filming the Greg Allman biopic Midnight Rider in Georgia. Here are five things to know about the much-loved Vampire Diaries crew member.
‘Vampire Diaries’ Sarah Jones Dies — 5 Things To Know About The Tragically Killed Crew Member
1. Sarah started her career as a crew member on Army Wives.
2. Sarah was a beloved crew member on The Vampire Diaries, and the show’s star Nina Dobrev took to Twitter to remember Sarah saying, “(she) had the most beautiful spirit and a smile that lit up our set for years.”
3. Sarah loved bacon and kombucha. On Feb. 26, The Vampire Diaries‘ craft services posted a picture to Facebook of a table stocked with “two of Sarah’s favorite things, bacon and kombucha.” They even spelled out her name in bacon as a tribute.
4. Sarah was an avid photographer and fearless adventurer. Her obituary read, “From the heights of the mountains she hiked, to the depths of the oceans she dove (and never without a camera to record her experiences).”
5. Sarah’s accidental death has prompted an online petition, started by members of the film community, asking that Sarah be included in the memorial section during the Academy Awards on March 2. The petition had over 30,000 signatures as of Feb. 26.
‘Vampire Diaries’ Crew Member Sarah Jones Dies — Nina Dobrev & Ian Somerhalder Tweet Support
Sarah’s death was undeniably tragic, and the fact that she was around the same age of most of The Vampire Diaries‘ cast must have made this an extra hard pill for them to swallow.
The cast — as well as the show’s beloved creator, Julie Plec — showed just how strong the “TVDFamily” is when they all reached out to share their grief, despite the fact that this must be extremely difficult for them, given the sudden and violent nature of Sarah’s death.
“Our #TVDfamily lost a loved one,” Nina wrote. “Beautiful soul. A dear friend. I miss you Sarah. You will always be a part of us… #SlatesForSarah”
HollywoodLife.com sends thoughts and prayers to Sarah’s friends and family during this difficult time.