Emma Corrin is the actress everyone is talking about. The breakout star is playing Princess Diana in ‘The Crown’ season 4. Here’s what you should know about Hollywood’s next big thing.
Emma Corrin is absolutely captivating as a young Princess Diana in The Crown season 4. Emma transforms into the role of the Princess of Wales as she goes from a shy preschool assistant to a global icon. Similar to Diana in the beginning, the spotlight is all on 24-year-old Emma as The Crown season 4 debuts on Nov. 15. So, who is Emma Corrin? HollywoodLife has 5 key facts to know about the star on the rise.
1. The role of Princess Diana is Emma’s breakout role. Emma had a few roles prior to The Crown, including a 4-episode arc on the EPIX series Pennyworth in 2019, but The Crown is her biggest role to date. She is a main cast member in season 4 as Princess Diana becomes a pivotal figure in the royal family. Emma stars alongside Josh O’Connor as Prince Charles and Olivia Colman as Queen Elizabeth II.
2. Emma admitted playing Diana was “incredibly overwhelming.” The actress opened up about taking on the role of the Princess of Wales. “It’s so mad, I think it’s incredibly overwhelming and I feel a huge sense of responsibility because no matter how well we do this it is always going to step on this family’s sense of loss because it is real and it is so sad, the story – and also so recent,” Emma told Netflix. Diana tragically died in a car accident in 1997.
Emma revealed she worked with a dialect coach to nail Diana’s voice, which was a “key part of her.” She also worked with a movement coach. “Those little details helped so much to make it less scary. It is a huge responsibility and also a huge honour,” Emma said.
3. Emma made her film debut in 2020. She starred in the movie Misbehaviour, a historical drama that follows a group of women from the Women’s Liberation Movement seeking to disrupt the 1970 Miss World beauty competition. Emma starred alongside Keira Knightley, Keeley Hawes, and Gugu Mbatha-Raw.
4. She was working in retail before her first big audition. In 2018, Emma was packing boxes of underwear at a retail startup in London when she learned about her first major TV audition for a role in Pennyworth, according to The Hollywood Reporter. She rushed to the audition after nabbing some ’60s era clothes and booked the role of Esme Winikus in the Batman prequel series. The next year, she landed the role of Princess Diana.
5. She won’t be the only actress playing Princess Diana in The Crown. Emma is playing the young Princess Diana from 1979 to 1990. The Crown season 5 will be moving into the 1990s, which were the final years of Diana’s life. Elizabeth Debicki has been cast as Princess Diana for seasons 5 and 6.