DaBaby was arrested in Miami in connection with a dangerous robbery, according to a new report on January 3. Learn more about the situation and the Grammy-nominated rapper.
DaBaby was arrested for battery in Miami on Thursday, January 2, after allegedly robbing a man, according to a police report obtained by TMZ. The Grammy-nominated rapper allegedly took $80, a credit card, and the victim’s iPhone 7 before dousing him in apple juice, the report claims. The victim in question is a concert promoter, who DaBaby said shorted him money for a performance, which led to the scuffle, according to the police report. The victim was not named in TMZ‘s report.
According to the police report, the concert promoter gave DaBaby $20k, however, the rapper said he was owed $30k — and, that’s when things escalated. A second victim was allegedly punched in the face. TMZ has also obtained video of the alleged robbery, as well as footage of DaBaby being taken away in handcuffs and placed in the back of a police car.
DaBaby is currently at police headquarters in Miami, where he is being questioned about the incident, according to TMZ. His bond has been set at $1,500. Here’s five facts about the rapper, as this situation unfolds.
1. He won Best New Hip-Hop Artist at the 2019 BET Hip-Hop Awards. DaBaby released his first mixtape Nonfiction back in 2015 under the name Baby Jesus. He went on to release 12 more mixtapes until releasing his debut studio album Baby on Baby in March under Interscope records. The album’s debut single “Suge (Yea Yea)” quickly went viral online, landing him a coveted spot on hip-hop magazine XXL‘s annual Freshman List! In October, he was named Best New Hip-Hop Artist at the 2019 BET Hip-Hop Awards and didn’t take the honor lightly. “With all these legends in here, I don’t take this lightly at all,” he said in his speech, with his mom proudly by his side.
2. He made Forbes ’30 Under 30′ List. The prestigious magazine named the rapper — born Jonathan Lyndale Kirk — on their elite 2019 list. Dubbing him “no one hit wonder,” the business mag came through with the stats: DaBaby released two albums in one year, both hitting it big on the Billboard charts — March’s Baby On Baby peaked at number seven March and Kirk debuted right at number one. The magazine also noted that his 22-date spring tour earned six-figures per show.
DaBaby wins Best New Artist at the #HipHopAwards
“All these legends in here… I don’t take it lightly at all.” ✊pic.twitter.com/69bgMu7L5L
— XXL Magazine (@XXL) October 9, 2019
3. He’s performed on TV a few times already. The rapper performed at the 2019 BET Hip-Hop Awards in October with Offset, and also appeared alongside his fellow XXL Freshman artist Megan Thee Stallion for her smash single “Hot Girl Summer.” SNL marks his biggest live appearance yet, but based on his fire performance from the BET Awards, we know he’s going to slay!
4. He’s already collaborated with tons of A-Listers. In addition to a song with Lil’ Wayne that’s “on the way,” the North Carolina rapper crossed off a bucket list collab with J.Cole on “Under the Sun,” which was part of Revenge of the Dreamers III. He’s also appeared on tracks with fellow breakout artist Lil Nas X (“Panini”), Offset, Rich Homie Quan, Rich the Kid and Stunna 4 Vegas.
5. He hails from Charlotte, North Carolina. The southern sound in DaBaby’s music pays homage to his roots! Though the rapper was originally born in Cleveland, Ohio on Dec. 21, 1991, his family later relocated to Charlotte, North Carolina in 1999. He graduated from the city’s Vance High School in 2010, and pursued a musical career several years later.