- Harry Styles is nominated for six awards at the 65th Grammy Awards.
- He never won a Grammy when he was part of One Direction.
- His album, Harry’s House, won Album of the Year in 2023, beating artists like Bad Bunny, Beyoncé, and Adele.
There’s no denying that Harry Styles is one of the biggest pop stars on the planet. The singer got his start in One Direction but has since come into his own with early hits like “Sign of the Times,” “Adore You,” “Golden,” and “Watermelon Sugar.” With the release of his 2022 album Harry’s House, Harry cemented that status as a solo artist. The Platinum-certified album included hit singles like “Late Night Talking,” “Music For A Sushi Restaurant,” and arguably the biggest hit of 2022, “As It Was.”
Add in his countless sold-out shows and the growing number of Gold and Platinum records, and it’s clear that this man is one of the shining stars in the pop music galaxy. However, his light hasn’t always shone so brightly regarding the Grammy awards. His tenure in One Direction never produced a single Grammy nomination, and it would take him going solo before he ever held the golden gramophone.
“Though 1D have yet to receive a nomination, we just want to point out that the GRAMMYs are indeed boy band-friendly,” Grammys.com wrote in a letter to a fan in a 2014 “Ask The GRAMMYs” column. “After all, two of the biggest boy bands of all time — Backstreet Boys and ‘N Sync — scored seven and eight career GRAMMY nominations, respectively. And One Direction’s Midnight Memories, which was released Nov. 25, 2013, will be within the eligibility period for the 57th GRAMMY Awards.”
Spoiler alert: they didn’t get a nomination.
Harry’s Grammy dry spell ended when he went solo, most notably at the 2023 awards when Harry’s House took home Album of the Year. However, that wasn’t the only Grammy he took home that night. Nor was it his only Grammy win to date. So, how many has he won so far? Read on to find out.
Harry Styles’ 2023 Grammy Nominations
Harry Styles was up for six awards at the 2023 Grammys, which brought his total number of nominations to 9.
- Record Of The Year: Harry’s “As It Was” competed for Record of the Year, alongside Abba’s “Don’t Shut Me Down,” Adele’s “Easy On Me,” Beyoncé’s “Break My Soul,” Mary J. Blige’s “Good Morning Gorgeous,” Brandi Carlile ft. Lucius’s “You and Me on the Rock,” Doja Cat’s “Woman,” Steve Lacy’s “Bad Habit,” Kendrick Lamar’s “The Heart Part 5,” and Lizzo’s “About Damn Time.
- Album Of The Year: Harry’s album Harry’s House pulled off a big win to take home Album of the Year. He competed against Abba (Voyage), Adele (30), Bad Bunny (Un Verano Sin Ti), Beyoncé (Renaissance), Mary J. Blige (Good Morning Gorgeous), Brandi Carlile (In These Silent Days), Coldplay (Music of the Spheres), Kendrick Lamar (Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers), and Lizzo (Special). [Update: Harry took it!]
- Song of the Year: “As It Was” tried to claim Song of the Year. It was nominated alongside “ABCDEFU” (GAYLE), “About Damn Time” (Lizzo), “All Too Well (10 Minute Version)” (Taylor Swift), “Bad Habit” (Steve Lacy), “Break My Soul” (Beyoncé), “Easy On Me” (Adele), “Just Like That” (Bonnie Raitt), “The Heart Part 5” (Kendrick Lamar), and “God Did” (DJ Khaled ft. Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, JAY-Z, John Legend, and Fridayy).
- Best Pop Performance: Harry went up against Adele’s “Easy On Me,” Bad Bunny’s “Moscow Mule,” Doja Cat’s “Woman,” Steve Lacy’s “Bad Habit,” and Lizzo’s “About Damn Time” in the Best Pop Solo Performance category.
- Best Pop Vocal Album: To claim the Best Pop Vocal Album, Harry had to defeat Coldplay (Music of the Spheres), Lizzo (Special), Adele (30), and ABBA (Voyage). Did he?
- Best Music Video: Harry’s “As It Was” was up for Best Music Video, along with All Too Well: The Short Film by Taylor Swift, as well as Kendrick Lamar’s “The Heart Part Five,” BTS’s “Yet To Come,” Doja Cat’s “Woman,” and “Easy On Me” by Adele.
Harry Styles’ Grammy Wins
Album of the Year — Harry’s House (2023)
“I’ve been so, so inspired by every artist in this category with me at a lot of different times in my life,” Harry said when he accepted his award for Album of the Year. “I think – like on nights like tonight – it’s obviously so important for us to remember that there is no such thing as best in music. This doesn’t happen to people like me very often, and this is so, so nice.”
Best Pop Vocal Album — Harry’s House (2023)
Harry won Best Pop Vocal album at the 2023 Grammys for Harry’s House. He accepted the award and said making the album was “the greatest experience of my life.”
Best Pop Solo Performance — “Watermelon Sugar”) (2021)
Harry’s first Grammy win came in 2021 at the 63rd Grammy Awards. He won the Best Pop Solo Performance for his song “Watermelon Sugar.” The song — from Harry’s sophomore album, Fine Line — beat out Justin Bieber’s “Yummy,” Doja Cat’s “Say So,” Dua Lipa’s “Don’t Start Now,” Billie Eilish’s “Everything I Wanted,” and “Cardigan,” by Harry’s ex, Taylor Swift. Taylor was gracious in defeat, applauding and supporting Harry on his win.
“Wow, to everyone who made this record with me, thank you so much,” he said during his acceptance speech. “This is the first song we wrote after my first album came out [2017’s Harry Styles], during a day off in Nashville, and I just want to say thanks to Tom, Tyler and Mitch, and everyone, Rob Stringer and everyone at Columbia, my manager Jeffrey, who has always nudged me to do better and never pushed me. And thank you so much. I feel very grateful to be here. Thank you so much. I feel very honored to be among all of you, so thank you so much.”
“I’m really grateful to be here,” said Harry. “All of these songs are f-cking massive, so thank you so much. I feel honored to be around all of you, so thank you so much.”
- Album Of The Year (Harry’s House)
- Record Of The Year (“As It Was”)
- Song Of The Year (“As It Was”)
- Best Pop Solo Performance (“As It Was”)
- Best Pop Vocal Album (Harry’s House)
- Best Music Video (“As It Was”)
- Best Pop Solo Performance (“Watermelon Sugar”)
- Best Pop Vocal Album (Fine Line)
- Best Music Video (“Adore You”)
Did He Perform?
He did. He performed “As It Was,” the song nominated for Song of the Year and Record of the YEar.
“As It Was” – Harry’s second No. 1 single in the U.S. – spent 15 weeks atop the Billboard Hot 100 in 2022 and remains on the chart at the moment.
What’s Next For Harry Styles?
After doing a handful of dates in Southern California, Harry takes Harry’s House on tour in Australia, Asia, and Europe from the start of February to the end of July. He’ll tour with Wet Leg, the band nominated for Best New Artist in the 2023 Grammy Awards. After that, Harry might give himself a bit of a breather. Between his new album, his Don’t Worry Darling movie, and touring, he might become a homebody….or do another residency at Madison Square Garden. After all, it’s Harry’s House world, and we’re living in it.Click to Subscribe to Get Our Free HollywoodLife Daily Newsletter to get the hottest celeb news.