According to her Season 1 tagline, Mary Cosby loves God, but she’ll also read you like a scripture. She’s also married to her grandmother’s second husband, which Real Housewives of Salt Lake City star Jen Shah thinks is “weird”, however, those are just a few of the many reasons why you should love this Bravo newcomer that made her debut during RHOSLC’s premiere on Nov. 11. Want to know more about Mary? See what we’ve discovered below.
1. Despite her religious tagline, Mary Cosby — unlike her fellow RHOSLC co-stars — is not a part of the Mormon faith. Instead, Bravo says Mary, who also happens to be the only Black cast member, is a “Pentecostal First Lady.”
2. According to Mary’s co-star, Whitney Rose, she also has a backstory that everyone knows about. And that is — Mary’s husband of over 20 years, Bishop Robert C. Cosby Sr., was the second husband of her late grandmother, evangelist Rosemary “Mama” Cosby. So basically, Robert used to be Mary’s step-grandfather. When they married, she was 22 and he was 42. Yes, really. They also share a teen son together.
3. Apparently, Mary married Robert in order to secure her grandmother’s inheritance. At least, that’s what she claimed during the season premiere of the series. With that inheritance came an “empire of churches, restaurants and more”, according to her Bravo bio. Mary feels “blessed” to be married to Robert Sr., as she said in a recent Bravo video: “You’re dealt with the cards that you’re given, and it’s up to you and make it happy. I love my life, I do. I have a blessed life. And I love Robert Sr.”
4. Mary and her husband are both leaders of Faith Temple Pentecostal Church, which her grandmother founded prior to her 1997 death. Just don’t call Mary a “pastor” — she revealed she hates the term during Wednesday’s episode.
5. Mary has a “passion for fashion” — it’s something that’s also revealed in her Bravo bio, and it was evident during the season premiere of RHOSLC. During a lunch date with Whitney, she even boldly wore yellow leggings, which Whitney was quite fond of.
RHOSLC premiered on Bravo on Wednesday, Nov. 11. New episodes of the brand-new series will follow each week on Wednesdays at 10pm. It stars Lisa Barlow, Mary Cosby, Heather Gay, Meredith Marks, Whitney Rose, Jen Shah.