Spoiler alert: Stop reading if — for some reason — you still don’t know who died last week on ‘The Vampire Diaries!’
Death on The Vampire Diaries is a lot like sneezing — it’s rare not to experience it at least a few times a day, and often in rapid succession — but not since Alaric’s passing at the end of season three have fans been this devastated.
The Feb. 21 episode confirmed, as many of us feared, that Jeremy Gilbert (Steven R. McQueen) is dead — and he’s never coming back. But because everything happened so quickly, Elena (Nina Dobrev) and friends weren’t able to properly mourn their fallen comrade, so HollywoodLife.com decided to put together a memorial of our own.
Watch our emotional tribute to Jeremy below:
The Many Deaths Of Jeremy Gilbert
The number I give in the video is arbitrary; the fact is that Jeremy has actually been many times throughout the show’s four seasons, yet managed to cheat death every time. Here’s a quick rundown of just some of Jer’s confirmed deaths:
1. Neck-snapped by Damon: On the second season premiere, in an apparent act of romantic frustration with Elena, Damon (Ian Somerhalder) snapped her little brother’s neck and left him for dead — which, in case you’re wondering, is not the best way to win over the girl of your dreams.
2. Shot by Sheriff Forbes: On the second season finale, a bullet meant for Damon accidentally found its way into Jeremy’s chest. (Lucky bullet!) Bonnie (Kat Graham) called on her witch ancestors to bring him back, but was told there would be “consequences.” This is why he was able to see ghosts in season three.
3. Dessicated by Bonnie: In order to stop Klaus (Joseph Morgan) and save Elena, Jeremy volunteered to let Bonnie temporarily stop his heart from beating, which was just one of the many signs of their supernaturally abusive relationship.
4. Stabbed by Elena: His “sister” may have been inflicted with the Hunter’s Curse, but it was Jeremy who paid the ultimate price. Elena hallucinated that he was actually Connor, and promptly stabbed him to death. It’s like Elena wants to be the only Gilbert left!
5. Neck-snapped by Silas: Jeremy’s final death — and I mean final, final death — came at the hands (and mouth) of Silas, who drained him off his blood and snapped his neck on the Feb. 14 episode. Worst Valentine’s Day ever!
And that’s not even all of them!
How do you feel about Jeremy’s death? Was it a necessary event for Elena’s development, or do you wish they’d found another way around it? And how will YOU remember Jeremy — as a stoner, as a wood-chopper, as a ghost-lover? Watch our loving tribute, then drop us a comment about the dearly departed.
— Andy Swift
More Vampire Diaries on HollywoodLife.com: