Columbus Short Fired From ‘Scandal’ After Real-Life Domestic Violence

Fri, April 25, 2014 6:38pm EDT by 67 Comments 88,724 Article Views
Columbus Short Leaving Scandal
Courtesy of ABC

Goodbye, Harrison! Actor Columbus Short has been fired from ‘Scandal’, in light of his real life scandals. The news comes after Columbus was charged with battery for allegedly attacking and threatening to kill his wife.

This is one scandalous story that Shonda Rhimes did not write — Columbus Short, who stars as Harrison Wright on ABC’s hit drama Scandal, has officially been fired from the series, after making real-life headlines for domestic violence. Keep reading for all of the breaking details, plus Columbus’s emotional statement.

Columbus Short Fired From ‘Scandal’

The season finale of Scandal suddenly all makes sense — Harrison, an employee at Olivia Pope’s (Kerry Washington) crisis management firm, was held at gunpoint, but was unclearly killed off the series. Well, now it’s safe to say that Harrison will not survive the season’s cliffhanger because the actor has just been axed from the show!

The news, of course, comes just weeks after Columbus Short was charged for battery, after he reportedly violently attacked his wife in their Los Angeles home on April 7, threatening to kill both her and himself, due to her alleged cheating.

In an official statement, Columbus confirmed his firing: “At this time I must confirm my exit from a show I’ve called home for 3 years, with what is the most talented ensemble in television today. Everything must come to an end and unfortunately the time has come for Harrison Wright to exit the canvas.  I wish nothing but the best for Shonda, Kerry and the rest of the cast…”

Fans have vocalized their desire for Columbus to be cut, in light of his shocking real-life crisis.

Columbus Short Charged With Battery After Allegedly Attacking His Wife

Columbus’s wife, Tanee McCall-Short, filed for divorce, after she was allegedly attacked by her famous husband who threatened to kill her and himself on April 7 in their Los Angeles home.

Tuere claimed that Columbus threatened to hit her with a bottle of wine, poured the wine all over her, choked her and then grabbed a knife for a game called “Truth or Truth,” which put her at knifepoint with Columbus threatening to stab her in the leg, if she lied, according to TMZThis was all prompted by Columbus believing that his wife had cheated on him.

This is not the first time that Shonda has fired one of her actors, during the run of a hit series. The show creator cut Isaiah Washington from Grey’s Anatomy, after he made anti-gay slurs at co-star T.R. Knight.

HollywoodLifers, does Columbus Short deserved to be kicked off of Scandal? Will you miss his character? Let us know in the comments below!

– Elizabeth Wagmeister

More ‘Scandal’ News:

1. ‘Scandal’: Will Harrison Be Killed Off After Real-Life Trouble?
  2. Columbus Short’s Wife: ‘Scandal’ Star Threatened To Kill Me & Himself
  3. Columbus Short: ‘Scandal’ Fans Want Him Fired After Alleged Assault

Tshegofatso

Posted at 12:45 PM on October 12, 2014

did the woman lose her job because of the claims of cheating on him? NO! so why does he have to lose his job because of those allegations? I am a woman and I do not promote nor condone domestic violence but his personal life should not interfere with his career. Columbus is really needed in the series, his absence can be felt throughout all those new episodes, I hope Shonda sees reason and somehow returns Harrison to the scenes. I hope it happens that they find out that the body wasn’t his and he’s at some place living a new life with that possibility of returning to the crisis management firm…..Please Shona, please bring him back!

wonderfulyperfect

Posted at 8:16 AM on October 11, 2014

Robinsonbuckler just restored my relationship after 3 years of heartbreak, if you need help contact call Mr Robinson (+)1 971 (512-6745) for urgent help

Chelle

Posted at 10:44 AM on October 10, 2014

So disappointed, that shonda rhimes thinks she’s going to loose ratings because of Columbus’s personal life.

carylon little

Posted at 7:56 AM on October 10, 2014

Yes,he ismissed was a big access to show,reslly not the same without himhis personally life should not afect his job ,do no one would be able to work ,because we all have some flows.

LES SUPERNOR

Posted at 8:37 PM on October 9, 2014

so sick of people being fired for their behavior off the screen, fire him for rude behavior, on the set. Why expect actors to be role models. They are actors, we all know actors are hardly ever role models, if they were, no one would be on a casting couch, lol

chrissy

Posted at 10:21 PM on October 7, 2014

Allegedly is the keyword here!!!!! is there a place record how do you know she’s not lying? You must somebody saw bruises or March sometime??

chrissy

Posted at 10:22 PM on October 7, 2014

*police*

CASHLADY

Posted at 5:10 PM on October 5, 2014

I was very disappointed when he was taken off the show. although no man should ever lay his hand on a woman.

Evette

Posted at 11:53 AM on October 3, 2014

I wish he was never fired he has been a part of Scandal from day one and I do not think this decision was right my cousin was a part of domestic violence that does not mean I love him any less or more we are human and we were made to make mistakes so that we can learn and evolve from them . How can we forgive people if we fire them for their mistakes. Now give that man his job back!!

tonya parks

Posted at 8:27 PM on October 1, 2014

I think that we all have personal issues that we deal with on a daily basis as best we can , and to promote a show called scandal and fire a man over one is an oxymoron .

Calvin mckinnie

Posted at 11:04 AM on September 30, 2014

I feel his personal life is his business and business is business your messing up the show by firing him just because of what went on behind closed doors.

Yon

Posted at 8:50 PM on September 28, 2014

I can’t believe he was fired for personal affairs everybody think they are God what are your secrets that’s may make someone look at you wrong? Right, we all have secrets and he shouldn’t have suffered!

Gill

Posted at 1:39 PM on September 26, 2014

Of course I don’t condone domestic violence, but as long as he doesn’t make it a habit, and is accordingly punished by the law, I don’t see any reason for him to be professionally punished as well.

LovingHim88

Posted at 11:24 AM on September 26, 2014

I don’t feel Columbus should be fired. What goes on behind the doors of his own home is nobody’s concern. I mean tv shows(LHHOA) have drug addicts on the show Majority if the time but they never get fired. He was hurt to find out that his wife betrayed him like What would u do. I know I would be hurt and devastated as well

Deja

Posted at 9:49 AM on September 26, 2014

So… Are you all saying that everyone who commits a crime against another person should lose their job? No, I DO NOT condone violence. And I hold a healthcare license that would be revoked if I were convicted of any form of domestic or any other violence. However, terminating someone’s emoloyment- their ability to make a living, and provide for their family, and pay their bills- because of a mistake made in their PERSONAL life , I feel is wrong. How can someone even be rehabilitated through counseling, if they cannot afford treatment? Every day they are sitting at home, because they have no work, their anger and resentment will only build, because they have nothing else to do. Do you honestly think that’s better for the victim; that it’s going to make things better for them in the long run? And those who are comparing this to the violence on the show….. That’s neither here no there. Sadly, a lot of the things that happen on the show are based on real life occurrences. People in those positions of power, with that type of money, really do cover up these types of “scandals” in real life, all the time. But Yes, I do believe there should be consequences for Columbus’ actions, but mixing personal with work is NOT the way. If that were so, a lot of you wouldn’t have a job either!

Helen Adair

Posted at 2:32 AM on September 25, 2014

I think firing him might make things worse for him cause more harm than good he should be made togo to counseling, by the court, but fired is too harsh, look at the violence on this show, for real Rhonda!!!!!!!!

anomaly

Posted at 11:38 PM on September 25, 2014

Violence on the show isn’t real it’s all drama and completely different from actually hurting a human being, especially one who you’re supposed to love and care for.

dwayne

Posted at 12:20 PM on September 20, 2014

I think his absence will definitely impact the show. And yes it is about race and the images media protrays for/to the public. Harrison was a positive BLACK male role model. His was a good counterpoint to the other Black male on the show who is definitely profrayed as dishonest, self-seeking, power hungry, etc
My question is this Shondra…Will Scandal be hiring another Black actor to replace him as a positive role model or will Scandal join the other tv shows that negatively protray black men or just eliminate them altogether as if they dont exist?

xCajunGirlx

Posted at 2:51 PM on September 25, 2014

Seriously? Of all the comments you could make, you have to throw the race card? He is a person that did harm. They are not firing him because he is black. They are firing him because he abused his wife & it sets a bad image for the show.

angie

Posted at 11:24 PM on September 25, 2014

This isnt about RACE! Im so sick of you idiots pulling the damn race card! This man deserves to lose his job after putting a knif to his wife and treating to take both of their lives! You want to say hes a good roll model for blacks?!!Really?!!! Yes I will miss Harrison! BUT THERE is no man BLACK or WHITE, or purple worth keeping with this reputation! What kind of message are you sending youngmen ? That its ok to beat the hell out a women and treaten to kill her?!! What if it happens next?! Which very likely it could happen! So hopefully they’ll hire another inspiring BLACK Actor!

George Welhaf

Posted at 7:27 AM on September 29, 2014

It’s all about black and white with some people. I realize that this is a definite issue in life but when someone commits domestic violence there should be no consideration given regarding that person’s color. Was Shondra supposed to overlook his death threats just because the black community needs a positive role model on TV? The black community should blame Columbus Short for his actions and his failure to grasp the opportunity to be a positive role model for blacks instead of blaming Shondra for her actions!

p

Posted at 12:56 AM on September 19, 2014

The violence on Scandal is awful. I hope this season I can watch it. Will miss Harrison. They show horrific violence and fire someone for threatening someone…?

Stephanie brown

Posted at 9:39 AM on September 18, 2014

I love this show !!!!!!!keep it going plz

Tina

Posted at 8:55 PM on September 7, 2014

I don’t think Columbus should be fired. I will definitely miss his character on the show of Scandal. What a shame.

Amlah

Posted at 2:06 AM on September 1, 2014

Plssssssss Let Columbus come back. After Hack, he is the second best Gladiator. Every body makes mistake please dont let his Job be a part of his life purnishment. :(

Vanessa

Posted at 12:03 PM on August 27, 2014

He needs mental help

Unity Benson

Posted at 1:05 AM on July 29, 2014

What I get from all this is, this man has a serious temper. He is a very attractive, intelligent, famous, black man. Why not leave her. Separate, or even get some of your own to say the least. Are you really so torn up inside that you can`t control your self? I say put Dianna Ross’s boy on the show. I hear he’s a bad kisser, but man is he good to look at.

keshi

Posted at 2:52 PM on July 17, 2014

Hello its c-short why I watch the show you’all too unfair

Tameka

Posted at 7:58 AM on July 17, 2014

Harrison is the number on Gladiator I dont think he should be fired everyone makes mistakes i think he needs counseling not his job taking away.