The Good Wife': Will Gardner’s ‘Last Call’ Was Heartbreaking

Mon, March 31, 2014 4:10pm EDT by 21 Comments 46,698 Article Views
Good Wife Will Gardner Last Call
Courtesy of CBS

Andrew

Posted at 7:17 AM on June 15, 2014

I agree Will is a huge loss, because he was such a compelling presence in the show’s legal machinations. I never actually thought there was real chemistry between Will and Alicia – just didn’t seem right for each other, at least to me. So I miss less their romantic entanglement than TGW’s most interesting and strongest character – Will Gardner. I’ll keep watching though and I thought Will’s death was beautifully handled by the show’s makers, but already I feel like it’s just not the same anymore – a bit like a rock band when it loses its charismatic frontman, but the band continues on without him. Will certainly had charisma.

Deborah

Posted at 11:53 AM on June 8, 2014

As an avid fan of the Good Wife from day one, killing off Will Gardner left me, not just wanting, but angry at the writers who destroyed one of my favorite shows. There is no where to go from here, but off the air. I can’t watch another episode and it has left a void to be filled by some “other” show. I agree that The Good Wife is not Game of Thrones where one would expect this kind of thing. I don’t watch game of thrones because I hate when pivotal characters are killed off with no possibility of return. It always spells the end of my investment in a TV show.

Daniela

Posted at 9:06 AM on May 14, 2014

Well, they first make Alicia go mad. I always admired her for being a character full of values​​, until she decides to kick the tent pole and get fired for stealing clients, that´s so not Alicia. Then they kill Will. WTF! WHY??? What now? A whole 6th season about Alicia’s depression? Good job screenwriters! You are successfully making the audience of the series fall at the speed of light. If you run out of ideas end up the series but don’t ruin it!

Deni

Posted at 6:05 AM on May 3, 2014

I stopped watching now because he will just seem unfinished and Will and Alicia saga kept me watching , like all good series it’s gets bad when they kill off a big main character , don’t like Michael J Fox anyway , annoying

nk

Posted at 12:52 PM on April 28, 2014

I ain’t watching the Good wife again..it was the chemistry between Alicia and Will that got me glued any other character should have died but Will..really?It wasn’t a good closure..main character assassination???

LilyRose

Posted at 8:01 AM on April 20, 2014

Wow… I’m not sure if I’ll keep viewing The Good Wife after Will’s death. Whilst the courtroom drama and controversial cases are entertaining, the chemistry between him Alicia is the reason for keeping most viewers completely engrossed. To kill him off doesn’t do the Will and Alicia storyline any justice. Not sure where they can go from here. Killing main characters (not to mention a love interest) never bodes well.

gwendo

Posted at 6:55 PM on April 19, 2014

I think the will gardner and Alicia theme was the underpinning of the whole show. I thought he was brilliant and I hope it’s not the death knell for the whole show

Anne

Posted at 10:21 PM on April 18, 2014

I loved the chemistry between the Josh and Alicia characters! He is sexy and brought a lot of complexity and interest to the show. Not sure how they are going to make the show as interesting with him gone. I hope they have not “killed” the show along with Josh, because we need more TV like The Good Wife – TV for adults that have a brain! :-)

Jess

Posted at 6:27 PM on April 3, 2014

Did you not read what the creators of the show said? Having Will go off to L.A. or somewhere would mean Will was still a possibility for Alicia, and it wouldn’t be realistic to not have him alive but completely out of Alicia’s life. Would people then not always be asking for him to come back in some way? Killing him makes it definitive.

Sherry Dale

Posted at 6:08 PM on April 2, 2014

I cried through the whole thing. Wasn’t expecting it, wasn’t happy about him leaving the show. Not sure how they are going to fill that space.

'Nette

Posted at 5:34 PM on April 1, 2014

That send-off was great! I think he spent “Dramatics, Your Honour” saying goodbye to the people he loved. It’s not like he knew he was going to die; he parted well with everyone and there were smiles and pleasant last words. The flashbacks are appropriate – the show is about Alicia after all, however much we all liked to believe it was about her love story with Will.

If the Good Wife’s send-off of Will Gardner was unsatisfactory for you, I shudder to imagine how you took the death of Det. Joss Carter on Person of Interest. That was some unsatisfying, incomplete, hashed nonsense! It was quick, grisly and entirely without ceremony and grace. People have vented aplenty about that so I won’t keep flogging that dead horse, but suffice to say, Will was given a proper send-off.

Eileen

Posted at 4:45 PM on April 1, 2014

My husband and I will most certainly miss Josh Charles as Will. His scenes in the show were always our favorites – especially involving Alicia. It really was heartbreaking – wish they could have kept him alive – moved him somewhere.etc. – so there was always a possibility. How about letting us know how Alicia’s brother is taking this. He seemed to like Will very much and knew how much Alicia and Will loved each other. Eileen

Johnny B Good

Posted at 3:04 PM on April 1, 2014

This episode really hit close to home. I had a dear friend pass away and I saved a VM of his for years, just to hear his voice. I honestly was crying my eyes out watching this :( It made me think of how traumatized I was listening the days / weeks after his passing.

I still listen to that VM today, I figured out a way to record it, thank god :) FYI The site was http://www.voicemailsforever.com maybe I can help someone else out.

This episode should win all the awards.

Liz

Posted at 1:40 PM on April 1, 2014

I did not get closure. Will Gardner was my favorite character. I loved his interactions with Alicia, Diane, Kalinda and even Peter, and yes, I wanted him to finally re-unite with the woman he has loved forever. The creators keep saying the show is about Alicia Florrick, but there are many fans who were more invested in Will’s story. To watch him being killed suddenly and brutally was like a slap to the us fans. I feel betrayed and cheated.

Robert Rodvik

Posted at 1:01 PM on April 1, 2014

Don’t know how the producers will ever create the same drama and tension on TV’s most brilliant show with Will out of the picture. I stay poised week to week to view this exceptionally well written drama. Will and Alicia were perfectly fitted.

Michael Fargo

Posted at 12:19 PM on April 1, 2014

Give “Last Call” a Peabody. I was spellbound.

mik

Posted at 11:14 AM on April 1, 2014

A lot of times, there is backstage drama that accompanies a major characters’ being bumped off. It may be that contract negotiations broke down, and the parties involved refused to budge. So, in order to not be held hostage by exorbitant demands, the producers/writers get rid of the problem off camera but getting rid of the character on camera.

N. Parks

Posted at 11:03 AM on April 1, 2014

I think they were trying to capture how it is in real life, when a sudden death occurs. I applaud them for doing that, it was very realistic, sad, heartbreaking. Julianna was fantastic. But…this is TV. I want the happy ending, I don’t want the real life. Therefore, I got no closure from the episode. Still in mourning. Just like real life, I suppose.

Clinton Dawkins

Posted at 10:07 AM on April 1, 2014

Death is not supposed to be satisfying.

Dollie Williams

Posted at 3:46 AM on April 1, 2014

I think cbs was crazy to kill off Will. He and Alisha never really got together as a couple. I’m just not interested anymore.

Aysha Gafai

Posted at 1:10 PM on April 7, 2014

True dat so true. I still cant bring myslf to wtch d episode how can will die ! I dnt thk I will evr go bck to watchin it……