‘Dance Moms’ Star Arrested For Allegedly Attacking Abby Lee Miller

Thu, January 9, 2014 1:27pm EST by 129 Comments
Dance Moms Fight
Courtesy of TLC

Uh oh! ‘Dance Moms’ mama Kelly Hyland allegedly attacked the show’s infamous dance instructor, Abby Lee Miller, after she felt like her daughters were being overlooked by Abby in her talent casting!

Kelly Hyland, mom to talented young dancers Brooke and Paige Hyland, was arrested and booked for “assault and harassment” in New York in Nov. 2013 after getting into an altercation with Dance Moms star, Abby Lee Miller, reported TMZTheir fight allegedly wasn’t just a shouting match: it reportedly even got physical with major hair-pulling!

‘Dance Moms’ Fight: Kelly Hyland Arrested, Allegedly Attacked Abby Lee Miller

Kelly Hyland allegedly snapped at Dance Moms most outspoken choreographer, Abby Lee Miller of Abby Lee Dance Company, but it wasn’t just a typical studio tiff!

Abby’s Ultimate Dance Competition

“Abby was searching for new talent and Kelly was getting p****d off that her kids were being overlooked,” TMZ reported. “When Abby dared to bring a potential pint-sized star by the studio … Kelly freaked out.”

Kelly used to be a dancer at Abby’s studio — she was one of the company’s original members — but her daughters Brooke, 15, and Paige, 13, have since become stars of the troupe.

“Kelly began screaming at Abby and then Kelly allegedly grabbed Abby’s hair and it became a full-on cat fight,” eyewitnesses told TMZ.

Kelly Hyland & Abby Lee Miller Fight On ‘Dance Moms’?

Charges have not yet been pressed in this case, but TMZ reports that three Dance Moms cameras captured the altercation — which means we may likely be seeing exactly what happened on a future episode of the hit Lifetime show!

What do YOU think, HollyMoms? Are you shocked to hear about the Dance Moms fight?

– Kristine Hope Kowalski

More Arrest News:

1. ’16 & Pregnant’ Star Whitney Purvis’ Ex Weston Gosa Arrested Again
  2. Michael Vick’s Brother Marcus Vick Arrested For Driving High
  3. George Zimmerman Arrested For Pointing Shotgun In Girlfriend’s Face

Christine Capstick

Posted at 9:26 AM on July 9, 2014

If I’d been there Kelly I’d of helped you out..the woman is a monster,these girls have put her on TV where she is today…

klonopin

Posted at 6:28 PM on June 24, 2014

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your
stuff previous to and you’re just too fantastic. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you’re
saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable
and you still take care of to keep it wise. I can’t wait to read much more from you.
This is really a wonderful web site.

Kamari Beaver

Posted at 10:59 PM on March 6, 2014

I FEEL BAD FOR YOU YOUR DUORTHERS ARE SO TALENT AND ABBY RONG FOR DOING THAT AND YOUR RIGHT … FROM KAMARI BEAVER

Zoey Fisher

Posted at 9:25 PM on February 25, 2014

Abby needs to give Kelly brook and Paige credit she’s so hard on them and not in a too way Kelly I’m on ur side

Zoey Fisher

Posted at 9:29 PM on February 25, 2014

Oops good way not too way

Chavin

Posted at 9:09 PM on February 25, 2014

I am a follower of the TV program Dance Moms, and I am appalled at what is going on. I think that Abby Lee has forgotten where she was before these moms brought their children to her Dance Studio. It was the girls talent that brought her to where she is today. I stopped watching the show because as a mom and a grandmother, if I were to see her treating any of my grand kids the way she treats those girls, I would have been in jail already. I went to the school of Performing Arts as a child, and the teachers were not obnoxious and vociferous and mean as Abby Lee Miller is with those girls. Good for you Kelly that you did not let her bully you. By the way , Kelly she was in your face, maybe this episode will bring her down to reality. She is working for you mothers. you are paying her for her services. Chavin in Texas

char

Posted at 2:53 PM on February 23, 2014

To people who think Abby should go to jail they actually can’t do anything because she didn’t hit her if she did then Kelly has the right for self defense. The cops see this and think Kelly could have walked the other direction \

Chavin

Posted at 9:16 PM on February 25, 2014

Abby verbally abused Kelly & treats the girls disrespectfully, these moms are paying her for the dance lessons and Abby treats the moms as if she was doing them a favor.

Lori

Posted at 6:14 PM on February 26, 2014

Abby will go to jail, She has a lot she is being sued for from Kelly and her girls, Abby will be in jail for abuse

Alicia Hauck

Posted at 2:30 PM on February 20, 2014

If they didn’t like the way they are treated, they should have left years ago. I have been watching of awhile , and things may have changed a tiny, bit but not much. Kelly and Chritsi have been complaining since day one. Leave then, stop complaining and do it. Don’t leave and come back, as Kelly has done numerous times. Leave and do it for good.

Diane Moore

Posted at 9:39 PM on February 27, 2014

Unfortunately they can’t just leave b/c they signed a contract. Maybe they can get away now that she is being sued for child abuse.

Shannon

Posted at 1:57 PM on February 20, 2014

I think Kelley shouldn’t be arrested. Abby was getting in her face and she wasn’t going to let Abby do that and I wouldn’t either

Alicia Hauck

Posted at 2:32 PM on February 20, 2014

You physically attack someone, you should be arrested. What is you are in a fight and yelling and the other person puts their hands on you? Are you telling everyone that you would not press charges?

Tashianna Bostick

Posted at 4:12 AM on February 28, 2014

To be honest I wouldn’t press charges. I’d just kick them out of my studio. In that situation it can be looked at as Abby intentionally antagonizing Kelly and also she was biting at her fingers which can also be seen in the same light as “taking the first punch.” They are both in the wrong here.

Scarlett

Posted at 2:20 AM on February 19, 2014

I absolutely adore Kelly and her girls and am heartbroken that they are off the show. Abby went way too far by having Kelly arrested and I don’t blame Kelly for filing a lawsuit. What started as a fun show watching these girls dance has turned into a nasty little freak show. We are seeing less dancing and more brought on drama. Is this really necessary? Quit bringing in new people, quit bringing in Candy Apples, focus on the Abby Lee Miller dance team. More importantly, BRING BACK KELLY, PAIGE, AND BROOKE! Also is anybody else concerned about what Abby’s harsh treatment is going to do to these girls emotionally? I often feel like this dance company, tv show, and Abby Lee herself should come with a warning that they may cause a high suicide rate. I know that is a very harsh thing to say, maybe these girls are stronger than I realize, but Abby is just awful to them! Her treatment is definitely a form of bullying, and all of this for a tv show. I couldn’t and wouldn’t do that to children just to boost my ratings. Perhaps Abby should sit down and listen to Whitney Houston’s “The Greatest Love of All” because the children are our future. Let’s not destroy them Abby!

Bonnie Pittenger

Posted at 6:48 PM on June 25, 2014

I agree I miss Kelly & the girls, I also adore Christi & Chloe. I am surprised they put up with so much crap from Abby, who has really gotten a big head.

Geri Manza

Posted at 2:13 AM on February 19, 2014

I think that Abbey Lee is a horrible person, who cares only of herself . I only watch because of the girls. I think what she did to Kelly was horrible after the way she treats these girls. I’ve decided to stop watching the show. It is depressing how awful she is to everyone.

Bertha

Posted at 12:57 AM on February 19, 2014

I know the Dance Mom’s are probably under contract, but I would love to see these mom’s go to another dance studio and leave Abby in the wind.

Renee

Posted at 10:26 PM on February 18, 2014

Abby is a immature bully. It is sad that she feels so bad about herself that she has to act this way towards these talented kids and the moms. She will have to answer one day about how she treated everyone. I will no longer be watching this show either.

Cheryl L. Ford

Posted at 9:57 PM on February 18, 2014

I WISH Black Patsy was still there to kick Abby’s big behind! She treats EVERYBODY terrible!

Sonny

Posted at 9:08 PM on February 18, 2014

Abby tried to BITE Kelly and therefore was the perpetrator. She advanced on Kelly and was snapping at her wagging finger like a dog AFTER Kelly told Abby to get out of her face and to get HER finger out of her face. Abby should have gone to jail. The entire incident was filmed, it is clear Abby was the aggressor Kelly (justifiably) must have felt she had to defend herself from the large, snapping/biting, and ADVANCING Abby Lee. Abby Lee is a documented abuser, all anyone has to do is watch an episode of the show. My blood was boiling in the moments leading up to the slap because Abby was instigating. She intentionally wanted to draw Kelly out and it’s a shame Kelly was immediately considered the perpetrator. I am not a Kelly fan, I can’t say if she was overreacting, but when it comes to the altercation, Abby was the one who physically threatened Kelly, and just because she missed when trying to bite her fingers, doesn’t mean she isn’t the agressor. If someone swings to punch someone and misses, THEY are the aggressor. It the other party defends them self with a punch and lands it, they are within their rights to defend themselves.

powal

Posted at 12:12 PM on February 21, 2014

I think you and I were watching the same show. It’s absolutely ridiculous that Abby wasn’t arrested!! That woman acts like the spawn of the devil. She is more than evil. I blame these moms too, for selling their kids for fame. And seriously, why hasn’t some high profiled therapist or child advocate (Dr. Phil, Nancy Grace, Oprah) or Child Protective Services stepped in to stop this child abuse?!!! Everyone seems to be afraid of this bully and in every interview that I’ve seen of this cow, the interviewer tiptoes around the truth and never calls a spade, a spade.

It’s funny that Kelly gets arrested for defending herself when Abby threatened her by biting at her and forcing her big body in Kelly’s space; Kelly should have gone out with a bigger bang and just wailed on her until the cops came. She should have paid her back for all the abuse that she and her children have suffered. Abby called Christi all kinds of lowlifes when she and that other bully had a fight in New Orleans but she did the same thing to Cathy and ended up crying like a punk after she got bonked with a little purse.

I believe that Abby was the fat little kid that others didn’t want to play with because she was fat, selfish, socially inept and oh did I mention—a bully?!

char

Posted at 2:48 PM on February 23, 2014

They can’t do anything because too Abby. Because she didn’t touch Kelly. Kelly did touch her and that’s against the law if Abby did lay her hands on her then she allowed to to hit attacking in self defense

Jocelyn

Posted at 5:36 PM on February 18, 2014

This is crazy i think Abby as no right to break down these kids each week I’m glad that Kelly did something cause if she didn’t this would of kept happening I really love all the moms and the girls I hope that Paige Brooke and Kelly come back cause if they don’t the show won’t be the same

Jamie

Posted at 9:49 PM on February 18, 2014

I agree. Abbey is a bully and she constantly encourages the kids to disrespect their mothers. I feel sorry for those girls. They are being taught to take whatever from anyone as long as they are winning. One day they will be adults and I wonder what they will take from men in their lives. This behavior can easily lead to low self-esteem. Wake up moms!

Briann

Posted at 8:20 PM on February 15, 2014

The only reason I even watch the show is because of Kelly’s kids and Chloe! Week after week they are verbally abused and belittled and continue to stay and dance with Abby. It breaks my heart. I catch myself hoping Maddie falls so a different girl has a chance to win. The show makes us viewers hate Maddie and her mom. Abby is horrible to the kids and the mom! If Kelly is gone I will not watch it anymore!

Suzanne

Posted at 9:18 AM on February 16, 2014

I totally agree. I will NOT watch any more. I did not watch the “fight” episode, and I have no desire to watch “The Maddie Show.” I love the other dancers, and they deserve a medal for putting up with the insults week after week. An adult would not, and Kelly did not.

CHERYL

Posted at 2:56 PM on February 16, 2014

It is nothing but child abuse. No child should be put to that and be exposed to such abuse. It is like watching the Jerry Springer show. If Kelly is gone she is the only Mom who cares about her girls. The Mom’s who stays are nothing but child abuser. THIS SHOW SHOULD NOT BE ON THE AIR AND SHOULD BE REPORTED TO CPS

Jocelyn

Posted at 5:32 PM on February 18, 2014

I agree with u it’s not fair that Abby gets to yells and break down these kids ever week I think Abby should show all her attention to all the kids not just Maddie I’m glad that Kelly did something to Abby maybe she will now know how to talk to people and treat them I love this show and I hope Kelly Paige and Brooke come back

Marcia Denham

Posted at 1:46 PM on February 13, 2014

Abby, you need to keep the team you have now you do not need a new one at all. You have a great team!

Marcia Denham

Posted at 1:37 PM on February 13, 2014

I feel that Abby provoked Kelly. It was Abby’s fault too.
The show will not be the same without kelly and her girls!
Kelly needs to come back!

Lynn

Posted at 12:21 AM on February 14, 2014

Abby was the first one to make the move against Kelly. They both were at fault. Abby Lee Miller is a female version of Chris Christie. Big fat bully!!!

CHERYL

Posted at 3:08 PM on February 16, 2014

LIFE TIME GET THIS SHOW OFF THE AIR. THIS BIG FAT BULLY IS USING THESE CHILDREN HER OWN FAME. SHAME ON THE MOTHERS WHO ARE LETTING HER DO IT. THIS IS CHILD ABUSE

Alicia Hauck

Posted at 2:36 PM on February 20, 2014

You do realize that by calling someone names, you are verbally abusing them, right? Then stop it! If you don’t like Abby being a bully (and I don’t) do not be one yourself.

calgaldancer

Posted at 5:09 AM on February 13, 2014

Last night’s episode of Dance Moms reached an all-time low. Abby is a bully, plain and simple. She is abusive, rude and hateful to these young dancers and their mothers. I had strict, tough dance teachers from the time I was 3 1/2, but they never belittled me and certainly never talked about replacing me while at a dance competition for their dance school. They rehearsed us hard, and then encouraged us when show time came. Many of us went on to careers in the biz without being bullied or shamed. If a student isn’t getting a concept or a technique, then get up off your butt and off of your cell phone and SHOW them. A good teacher wants the best for her students. All Abby is concerned about is a win for herself and her pet, Maddie. (On a side note, Maddie has stayed the same and no improvement whereas some of her other students have shown growth and could be amazing if given some constructive criticism, but are intimidated and belittled by Abby.) I loved that Kelly called her bluff, and said, then go ahead and replace my kids. Abby threatens these kids all the time. She antagonized Kelly, got in her face, and then when Kelly retaliated (although a bit childish), Abby was upset and freaked out and calling police which is what bullies do. They can dish it out, but they can’t take it. It’s disgusting that they have no respect for these children, and have these knock out, drag out fights in front of them. I will be surprised if many of these kids don’t need therapy after dealing with this company. I realize they are all under contract and getting paid, but this is beyond entertaining. The show has gotten worse. I used to love to watch the students dance at their competitions, but I’ve grown weary of all of the nastiness, pettiness, backstabbing and lying that goes on. I think I’ll have to watch a real dance show.

Staceyb

Posted at 12:00 AM on February 13, 2014

Abby finally got what was coming! This show is absolutely horrendous and lifetime should be ashamed to air such unethical, abusive, exploitation of young children. Obviously this cast is under legal agreement to stay on the show, Otherwise most would have left by now. It’s like the battered wife syndrome, coming back for endless abusive because she has no other choice. Is fame and fortune worth that much to people that they allow their children to be emotionally damaged for years to come? When dance moms becomes yesterday’s news & no one remembers them anymore, these girls will be in therapy trying to heal their trauma. I am a mental health therapist and It is obvious to me that Abby is a raging narcissist! If you know anything about people with this personality disorder than you know that they will never back down and never take responsibility for their actions. These families don’t have a fighting chance with someone like her. It’s just disgusting really. I had a pit inmy stomach after last nights show & I felt ashamed allowing my daughter to watch. We are DONE with this crap of a tv show. I need to protect my own daughter & do the right thing. How can these producers & network look themselves in the mirror?

OncNrsSpursSoccerChick

Posted at 8:12 PM on February 12, 2014

If Maddie & her lying, two faced, backstabbing, step-on-absolutely-ANYONE-to-get-ahead mother of hers WERE ACTUALLY TELLING THE TRUTH & “had NOOOOOOOOOO IDEA” that Maddie & Kalani were in fact going to do their duet & compete against Chloe & Paige…..ummmmm HELLLLLLLOOOOO….. they WOULDN’T’VE HAD THEIR COSTUMES WITH THEM -F-O-R- SAID DUET -W-I-T-H- THEM, now would they?!?!? OF COURSE THEY WOULDN’T!!! ANNNNNNND, Fat Abby, Chloe & Paige absolutely WOULD’VE WON their category, obviously, since they were first runners up to the 2 ‘darlings’ who just so happened, as per usual, to have waaaahhaaay better choreography, music, costumes, etc., etc., etc. it’s just sadly gotten soooooo fake & soooooo scripted that I can’t even watch anymore. It’s all so contrived, all a complete set up & even so…..even though I’m SURE the girls are WELL AWARE OF THIS, I just HATE to see what is has, is & will end up doing to their little psyches & self esteems. VERY SAD.

Monica white

Posted at 2:19 AM on February 19, 2014

I do not hate Mattie nor her success. Kelly n Chloe mom r jealous of Mattie cause she’s more talented than their kids. I’m sick of their whinning. GOOD RIDANCE KELLY

Alicia Hauck

Posted at 2:37 PM on February 20, 2014

Alicia Hauck

Posted at 2:39 PM on February 20, 2014

Then stop watching.

Lizbet

Posted at 7:06 PM on February 12, 2014

It’s one thing to help and guide the girls through there dancing but it’s wrong to degrade a child nationwide and in front of there mother. Shes let fame and power go to her head. If you look at the videos you can notice that Abby is provoking Kelly. Children should not have to go through this. I’m not taking sides this might be a promotional act but whatever it is children should not be involved.

M Hall

Posted at 5:23 PM on February 12, 2014

Abby instigated the fight when intentionally putting Brooke down. Not saying that physical is ever ok however, Abby needs to own up to disrespecting The kids, as she does it more often its a shame she even is allowed to be in that line of work. Abby doesn’t deserve loyalty when she doesn’t know how to teach respect just expects it given to her no matter how she treats anyone else. That’s not good business nor good values. I would tell those mothers, dance to have careers for there kids, there’s other businesses that do great with values they would want for there kids and not all the childish drama Abby Lee dance studio gives. Abby, you don’t deserve the loyalty

OncNurseSpursSoccerChick

Posted at 9:28 PM on February 12, 2014

“Abby doesn’t deserve Lott when she doesn’t know how to teach respect just expects it given to her no matter how she treats anyone else.” That’s one of the very best, clear & concise synopses of Abby’s disposable behavior. Again, I realize how fake & contrived it all is now, & likely has been from the start BUT, regardless of that, YOU’RE ABOSOLUTELY RIGHT…..she DOES!!!! Nor does she EVER-EVER-EVER reflect on her OWN bad behavior, or even let it cross her mind, but rather just wholly, utterly & completely blames moms & girls, as she herself CAN DO NO WRONG!!!!! It’s really a disgrace…& very sad. Last week, when she came storming into the dressing room with ‘New Chloe’s Mom,’ ready to give them a right bloody dressing down for “being rude to & trying to run off another new dancer & mom,” I really, really THOUGHT she’d HAFTA stick up for the moms once she heard whatever-new-mom’s-name-was ((apparently, “The One Week Wonder” mom)) spouting off all her rubbish about ‘slumming it @ ALDC,’ ‘slumming it in PA’ & that her daughter is ‘used to mUCH harder choreography…..course not though, unless it’s still on the cutting room floor.

Archangel1200 (@Archangel1200)

Posted at 3:42 PM on February 12, 2014

I saw Kelly at Walmart Thanksgiving day along with about 900 other parents trying to get in on the black friday deals and she seemed like a nice lady, very polite when told where the end of the line was :)