Mary Queen Of Scots: ‘Reign’ Stars Separate Historical Fact From Fiction

Fri, October 18, 2013 10:54am EDT by 81 Comments 15,656 Article Views
Mary Queen Of Scots
Courtesy of The CW

jlc

Posted at 11:19 PM on March 21, 2014

I am fairly certain that she marries both Francis and Bash. Francis first, then when he dies Bash.

Sharryn Fitzpatrick

Posted at 4:38 AM on March 14, 2014

i like that it strays from history as it would make a boring story otherwise. So please stray on.

Kenn Olson

Posted at 5:59 PM on March 5, 2014

It doesn’t bug me that Reign takes some creative approaches to telling Mary’s story. I don’t know many of the details of my grandfather’s life, let alone my grandfathers before him, they could have had illegitimate brothers or sons and disfigured children living in the walls. History is fraught with ambiguity and if it makes it more entertaining to embellish it with subplots, good looking actors and more interesting wardrobes, go for it, as long as the core historical facts are respected. Nowadays people Google for the straight dope, and if it takes entertainment to want us to know the facts, so be it.

History, as much as many of us find it boring, teaches us many lessons, and is important to the future, and I am glad that there is an interest in things historical. It has been said that ‘real life is stranger’ and often more interesting ‘than fiction;’ it’s possible that if the writers had poked around in the libraries and vaults of Europe they’d have found even more interesting historical truths. For now, long live Reign.

tif

Posted at 3:01 PM on March 2, 2014

YESSS Love the creative liberties they are taking, otherwise it would be a really sad and depressing series. Though I LOVE Mary and Francis and I’m so happy they will ultimately get married. Please writers, just let them be in love and happy for a while. Bash and Mary have had more time together than Francis and Mary have… Can’t wait for Francis to come back to the show, it’s so dreary without him, he really adds something important to it

Diana

Posted at 5:12 PM on February 25, 2014

It should have historical liberties!! How many teenage girls do you know who are obsessed with history?? These liberties make the series more enjoyable. Im not saying they should change everything though. I like the fact that this show has history and in a way is educational but it is also creative and entertaining.
I would like mary to wed bash!! Sad to hear she will wed francis instead. Ohh well, he.is hot too.
LOVE REIGN!!!!!

Vanessa

Posted at 9:56 AM on March 4, 2014

I know im sad too maybe they can have them marry in a not legal kind a way..😃

suzy

Posted at 4:48 PM on February 25, 2014

I am so dissapointed to read that mary is going to wed francis and not sebastian.
I love fantasy history. It history but way more interesting. I am all for historical liberties :)

Spark

Posted at 6:51 PM on February 19, 2014

I like d series and am glad its not all totally accurate,but it will make more sense with mary and francis coming back 2geda wit d same amount of love they had at d beginning of d season! Both mary and francis fits perfectly well,so plz make their reunion perfect

jsw

Posted at 5:18 PM on February 10, 2014

ok so its historically wrong and bash didn’t exist…..but what gets me is EVERYONE who knows anything about Mary Queen of Scots knows she was known for her read hair even the day she was executed she wore a red wig. She was interesting enough to make a real show about.

Kate

Posted at 11:03 PM on February 6, 2014

I would have preferred they were accurtate. However, if they are going to stray from history – they may as well run with it and have Mary wed Sebastian. I’m disappointed to read that she won’t.

Kate

Posted at 11:04 PM on February 6, 2014

*Accurate. It would be nice if I could have accurate spelling if I’m going to ask someone else for accuracy.

Casluvskir

Posted at 7:43 AM on February 8, 2014

I agree with everything you wrote! Accurate!! But people make mistakes and spell check too, maybe… :) I really would like to see this show to be based on historical facts and not a remake on what they think society would prefer. It’s a shame really…for those out there who do not know much about the “real” Mary, this is very misleading..but to the younger generation…if you like this show, go and read a book on the real Queen Mary! Very interesting! That being said, I do enjoy the show…fantasy and all. Henry the eighth is a fantastic study as well! Anyone agree??

Amanda

Posted at 2:31 PM on February 4, 2014

I was so excited when I saw this show was going to be on and each episode has disappointed me more and more. Its become more and more ridiculous and moving farther and farther away from History and historical facts from how a queen and princess would have acted to clothing to the story itself. Its just disappointing I had such high hopes for this show since I love This part of History

Sharryn Fitzpatrick

Posted at 4:43 AM on March 14, 2014

Go and read a history book then

Sally Springer

Posted at 5:51 PM on January 31, 2014

As a Scot born and brought up in Edinburgh I was excited when I saw the prospect of seeing on TV a fairly accurate attempt at true Scottish history and so disappointed to find out it was just Hollywood hype. That time in history didn’t need any pretense or inaccuracy. It should have given Americans of Scottish heritage a realist approach to what life in Scotland was like in the 16th century.

nonickname

Posted at 8:45 PM on February 2, 2014

as much as I love history I appreciate the fact that they are straying away from the facts and coming up with “fantasy history” because the truth about how Mary Queen of Scots was treated through her whole life would make a very depressing show. especially the 18 years in captivity. If you want to watch a historically accurate show about Mary and Scotland then watch this history channel.

Kendra

Posted at 11:34 AM on January 30, 2014

I love Reign! It’s amazing!

bouges13

Posted at 2:34 PM on January 24, 2014

It’s times like these that I am happy to have failed to study history as closely as I could/should have… I can watch historical dramas and have no idea what is going to happen while having a vague knowledge of who the characters are. It’s kind of nice, and if the story really captures my attention I am motivated to learn more of the subject.

Lyndsy Shepherd

Posted at 3:28 AM on December 29, 2013

I wish It was more accurate, I like learning… but still entertaining.

Cori

Posted at 3:40 PM on December 28, 2013

Totally love the show. However, It’s tough for me to get use to the non period costuming and the imaginative re-creation of a real history. So does this mean Mary doesn’t get be-headed? Or will this be the finalee?

ramsha

Posted at 6:00 AM on December 19, 2013

im so HAPPY its not following history. i dont want francis to die!!

jmt

Posted at 3:54 PM on December 16, 2013

CORRECTION _ suffered brain fade – Catherine de’Medici was married to Henry (Catherine of Aragon was an English queen) Sorry