Selena Gomez Defends Wearing Bindi For ‘Come & Get It’ Performances

Wed, April 24, 2013 12:26pm EST by 63 Comments
Selena Gomez Defends Bindi
Courtesy of Ellen

Selena has had enough! After facing ongoing controversy surrounding her ‘Come & Get It’ performances, Selena has publicly defended her choice to wear a bindi in a new radio interview on Z100’s ‘Elvis Duran Show’ that aired on April 24. Find out what she had to say below.

Selena Gomez, 20, has been targeted for her artistic freedom, but after an interview with Z100’s Elvis Duran and The Z100 Morning Show, she’s silencing critics by defending her bindi-wearing performances. The starlet first sported the bindi during her Come & Get It performance at the 2013 MTV Movie Awards. Immediately following the Bollywood-inspired performance, Selena’s bindi came under attack by the Universal Society of Hinduism as she was asked to apologize for the use of their spiritual symbol during her performance.

Selena Gomez Defends The Bindi — Addresses The Controversy

Selena didn’t back down after the religious group’s request and instead performed on The Ellen Degeneres Show and Dancing With The Stars sporting the head decoration. Do you think Selena was right for wearing a bindi?

Selena On Why She Wore A Bindi On TV

While sitting down with Elvis Duran on The Z100 Morning Show on April 24, the talented starlet explained her reasoning behind why she wore the beautiful head art repeatedly in her Come & Get It performances.

“I think the song has that Hindu, tribal feel and I wanted to translate that. I’ve been learning about my chakra and bindis and the culture — it’s beautiful,” said Selena.

Now that Selena has publicly expressed her love for using bindis to provide a culturalized feel to her performances, do you think critics will back off? HollywoodLifers, let us know your opinion in the comments below.

– Brittany Chanel Jackson

More Selena Gomez Beauty News:

1. Selena Gomez’s Bindi Battle — Vote For Your Favorite Look
  2. Selena Gomez Wears Another Bindi For ‘Come & Get It’ On ‘Ellen’
  3. Selena Gomez’s MTV Movie Awards Performance: Bollywood Beauty

Nikp3

Posted at 2:53 PM on April 28, 2013

I am an Indian myself and I think she was right in defending her use of the bindi. I think she looks beautiful with it and there is nothing wrong with her wearing it. She is not insulting our culture.

maryam

Posted at 1:44 PM on April 27, 2013

Hi Justin are you love selena gomez? and you selena are you love justin? please answer me….. to gether on your Twitter OK bye i am bieleber and selenator ( together ). Maryam Wali .

maryam

Posted at 1:42 PM on April 27, 2013

Hi Justin are you love selena gomez? and you selena are you love justin? please answer me….. to gether on your Twitter OK bye i am bieleber and selenator ( together ). Maryam Wali from baghlan .

maryam

Posted at 1:30 PM on April 27, 2013

Why Selena Gomez note love Justin Bieber ? i m selenator but i like Justin bieber ( Jelenator)… i can,t hate jelena becuse jelena is always live….. in my heart please Selena go and back to Justin he is your true love…. i am crying :<

missbiebermania

Posted at 9:44 AM on April 27, 2013

aha selena has spider leg eyelashes the dirty slag go die selena….

coldagain?

Posted at 7:37 AM on April 27, 2013

I don’t think she really knows or cares about the Hindu religion. SHe mentions a few catch words like tribal and chakra, and suddenly she claims to be all into it. The song certainly doesn’t need a singer wearing it to promote that crappy music. She will never apologize because she is above us mere mortals – she dates JB, don’t cha know?

Michael

Posted at 8:55 PM on April 26, 2013

Selena you are so pretty I hope you go back on disney

Victoria

Posted at 12:59 PM on April 26, 2013

I don’t think Selena should appologize. Gwen Stefani used to wear bindis for fun all the time during her No Doubt days and she never had to apologize for it. At least SG is trying to appreciate Hindu culture. People are too sensitive these days…

Not in Kansas anymore

Posted at 7:17 AM on April 26, 2013

Bindi or no bindi, she still can’t sing. if it wasn’t for her connection to JB, she would just be another exDisney, although pretty, tv kid show actress wannabe. Sorry, but she can’t sing, and the more she sings, the more I cringe. I hope she gets with Jb, because maybe then she’ll take time out from singing.

bincy

Posted at 4:11 PM on April 25, 2013

bindhi is not a religious thing, every women in India wear Bindhi except Islam.
come on critics. im IndianChristian

SelenaGomezlover:)

Posted at 11:51 PM on April 24, 2013

I think Selena did a right thing, she was having FUN!!!
people need to know that she can do what ever she wants and being rude to her will not help!
if people did not like the bindi she wore all they had to do was tell her but everybody made a big deal, i mean CALM DOWN!!!!!

itgirl

Posted at 11:11 PM on April 24, 2013

I dont even think selwna knows why she is wearing it. First her music was like punk.rock and roll amd she had a band, then she went techno then pop now she is into tribal sounding music with a hindu feel? Does she even know what kind of artist she is? Or does she just put out what the record label tells herto? What happened to the scene, her band? Lol. As far as her performances go, her vocals are weak and she doesnt have a distinct voice. Thats probably why people are more focuses on her outfit than her performance. She is just another disney robot trying to stay relevant after disney. Too bad she doesnt have the talent to back it. At least demi and miley have got some singing pipes on them, especially Demi! Girl can sing!

Powerpuff girl

Posted at 11:07 PM on April 24, 2013

I am also a Hindu, and I think she looks very pretty! The song is very nice too, and it’s truly amazing that Selena went out of her way and opened up to our religion. Very inspiring. :)

total stranger

Posted at 10:42 PM on April 24, 2013

I’ve seen a lot of articles about this and, in every comment section, the Hindu women all said they were fine with it; that the bindi she wore was not the kind that carried religious significance and was merely decorative. They all said she looked great in it and she should keep wearing it if she wanted to.The Indians who commented also said the “religious leader” who complained is not at all respected in the Indian community and that he has no real following. He’s just a guy with a pretty anti-female, anti-equality agenda and most Hindus consider him a joke. The only commenters who were offended were the people who look to find offense in everything and who try to make themselves seem much more enlightened than everyone else.

LissaCaldina

Posted at 8:11 PM on April 24, 2013

Reblogged this on Welcome To My World (My Life My Way ツ. My Destiny) and commented:
I used to wear bindi just for a fashion eventhough Im not a Hindu but I never had aproblem about wearing it. I think this became an issue for Selena just because she’s a celebrity and I am pretty sure more people will use bindi too now for part of the fashion.

ELVIS PRESLEY

Posted at 6:13 PM on April 24, 2013

YOU SHOULD HAVE RESPECT FOR OTHER CULTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU NEED TO LEARN THAT BEFORE YOU MAKE ANOTHER MISTAKE LIKE THAT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rayana

Posted at 5:52 PM on April 24, 2013

Honestly, if it offended the religion, then she should apologize. That would only be out of respect for the religion and their beliefs. Besides, the name or lyrics of the song doesn’t really correlate with anything having to do with Hinduism. It reminds me of people who smoke weed and call themselves “Rastafarian”, but don’t follow or know a thing about it. Hmmm….but that’s just my little rant.

Ananya (@ananya_RM)

Posted at 4:33 PM on April 24, 2013

Wow, shittest excuse for cultural appropriation I have E V E R heard. Her pop-music drivel sounds nothing like classical Indian music – I say “classical Indian music” because randomly throwing the words “Hindu” and “tribal” in a sentence like she has without any actual knowledge of Indian music styles, is ridiculous. Moreover, India isn’t some timeless ~spiritual~, ~mystical~ land for all white people to come and discover their inner-selves, she sounds like Gwen Stefani and Madonna from the 90s. If she really cared about Indian culture, she would realise that it is inappropriate and disrespectful for her to culturally appropriate the bindi and label her dance as “Indian”. The cultural appropriation of the bindi is damaging because it is a religious and CULTURAL symbol in India, and appropriating, de-contextualising and commodifying it is disrespectful and wrong. It’s easy for white people to pick-and-choose cultural and religious items from cultures they deem “pretty” – but they ignore the undesirable aspects – like being racially discriminated against for wearing a bindi. Indian girls are constantly racially discriminated against, abused and bullied for engaging in their culture and wearing cultural/religious regalia such as the bindi and the sari, but when white people appropriate those items, they don’t have to deal with the racism that comes with it, they’re just seen as being ~exotic~ and ~beautiful~.

I’ve lost all respect for Selena Gomez, if she really is a decent human being, then she will apologise for appropriating the bindi, and never do it again.

Rayana

Posted at 5:54 PM on April 24, 2013

Samantha G

Posted at 3:14 PM on April 24, 2013

I’m in favour of it. I am Hindu. I do not believe that the bindi she is wearing is a spiritual Hindu symbol, it is a traditional bindi that we use for decorative means. If it was our round black or red bindi that has specific symbolisms in Hinduism it would have been offensive. I do not believe that she did anything offensive, if anything I admire her for opening herself up to something different. She looks beautiful. I think she would look stunning in a nice sari too! Hollywood should be welcomed by Bollywood and vice versa, if I was a Hollywood singer I would encapsulate some Bollywood into my music, it’s would give me an edge over other singers and open up my fan base to millions of Bollywood lovers!

as741852963

Posted at 3:01 PM on April 24, 2013

I think it is still ofending becuz many celebrites have done the bindi thing but at the same time the music incorporated it, Selena song doesn’t incorporate any of that, like the only Indian thing i heard was the beat mixed with a modern voice, and her voice did not sound good with it, like the song would be 10x better if she left that out of it…and i listen to Indian music and when i say it sounded horrible and a little disrepectful, it really did, so i mean she should still apologize becuz if she wanted to do the whole indian thing and since she says she knows about the indian culture she would know that, that stuff did not belong, and would have left it out…

L

Posted at 3:17 PM on April 24, 2013

Gwen Stefani used to wear a Bindi and a lot of her music had nothing to do with it and the culture. She used to just wear it out as an accessory, so please tell me just why Selena is in the wrong if Gwen Stefani didn’t incorporate in her music either. If anything she just did it with like one song, and it was just incorporated into the beat just like Selena’s song, so next time get your facts straight.

as741852963

Posted at 3:32 PM on April 24, 2013

I actually do know that Gwen Stefani use to incoporate the usage of a Bindi too, it’s just that it was first off many years ago when ppl really probably didn’t see it as offensive, but Selena’s voice does not go well with an Indian upbeat rythme like that..
And if she did Gwen Stefani can actually sing, soo i don’t know what u r talking about and she had the experience to do so, i mean seriously Selena just came out with this whole singing thing, i was like who is she, and when i heard her voice it was like WTF, how did she get famous off of that, but i think if she persued singing first and acting last, then she would have failed epically, but i do like her messages that she gives to young kids..

Larry

Posted at 2:50 PM on April 24, 2013

I agree her to.

tushar

Posted at 12:41 PM on April 24, 2013

yes, i am agree with selena

SANAYA

Posted at 12:57 PM on April 24, 2013

I AGREE WITH SELENA. SHES’ RIGHT TO DEFEND HERSELF. JUST HOPE SHE WILL ALWAYS BE THERE FOR JUSTIN WHENEVER HE NEED HER.

tushar

Posted at 12:41 PM on April 24, 2013

yes i am agree with selena

abe

Posted at 12:32 PM on April 24, 2013

I will say it: COME & GET ME!!

SANAYA

Posted at 12:56 PM on April 24, 2013

YOU MEAN COME AND GET IT.

SANAYA

Posted at 12:32 PM on April 24, 2013

I AGREE. ITS BEAUTIFUL. ONLY SELENA CAN PULL THAT OFF. NO ONE ELSE CAN.