Porsha & Kordell Stewart: The Real Reason They’re Getting Divorced

Wed, March 27, 2013 7:09pm EDT by 46 Comments
Kordell Stewart & Porsha Stewart Divorce
Courtesy of Bravo/ABC

‘The Real Housewives of Atlanta’ star wanted more out of life than just being a stay at home wife. A source close to Porsha tells HollywoodLife.com exclusively that when she voiced her concerns to Kordell, the ex NFL star wasn’t having it!

Porsha Stewart has big dreams and wants more out of life than being at Kordell Stewart‘s beck and call. Sources close to Porsha, 31, tells HollywoodLife.com exclusively that the Real Housewives of Atlanta star was “tired” of Kordell’s controlling ways.

“Porsha has dreams and ambition, but her man was just too damn controlling and wanted her home all the time, cooking and cleaning and doing chores,” a source tells HollywoodLife.com exclusively.

“They don’t have any help at that house and its gigantic. He made her do all the work and I think she got tired of it all and confronted him,” the source adds.

Prior to Porsha joining the Bravo reality show, she was subservient to Kordell. In fact, she’s even said on the show how she treats her husband like a king!

Porsha Stewart Reaches Out To ‘RHOA’ Co-Stars For Advice

Now that Porsha has been hanging with her RHOA co-stars, she’s thinking about her future and has solicited the advice of the other ladies.

“She got around all those strong women on the show like NeNe [Leakes] and Phaedra [Parks] and they gave her advice on her marriage and I think she took what they told her – and got on her high horse and took that to Kordell – but clearly he wasn’t having it. Porsha is a cool girl, don’t get me wrong, but she shouldn’t have let these other rich girls get in her ear about her marriage. If she didn’t, she’d still have a man,” the source says.

Porsha Is Blindsided By Kordell’s Decision To File For Divorce

Porsha said she was completely blindsided by Kordell filing divorce papers in Atlanta on Mar. 22. On March 26, Porsha’s rep released this statement below to Us Weekly:

“Mrs. Stewart is disappointed about her husband’s recent filing for divorce. Mrs. Stewart had held off on filing for a divorce herself and remained committed to the marriage because Mr. Stewart promised to work on the marriage with her. Instead, he misled her and she found out about the filing in the media. Mrs. Stewart hopes to resolve these personal issues privately with the support of her family, friends and strong faith.”

Now it’s your turn to sound off, HollywoodLifers. Should Porsha put her dreams aside and attempt to save her marriage?

– Eric Ray

More ‘Housewives’ News:

1. Porsha Stewart: ‘Completely Blindsided’ By Divorce
  2. Porsha Stewart Tried To Save Marriage Days Before Divorce — New Video
  3. Adrienne Maloof Officially Leaving ‘RHOBH’: Why She ‘Won’t Be Missed’

weedhead20

Posted at 4:05 PM on April 8, 2013

women are the biggest hypocrites! If a man married a women with children. And he became famous through being married to that women and got on a reality show and started being out clues of te night you women would advise your girlfriends to lock the doors and file for divorce!
But because hes a man standing up for simple family values hes a tyrant and women oppressor. GTFOOH!

Kenya

Posted at 10:16 AM on April 19, 2013

Says the guy who calls himself weedhead. So much for simple family values.

Kolby

Posted at 6:37 PM on April 6, 2013

He would not “allow” her to do anything but what he expected and wanted. If she was going to be on the housewives show as having her own career then she could not have children because he did not allow her to work and have children–she was to care for their child and only her cause she said well she would get a Nanny when they were filming–he said flatly and loudly NO.

Last Post

Posted at 10:56 PM on March 31, 2013

“In fact, she’s even said on the show how she treats her husband like a king!”
There’s nothing wrong in treating your husband as a king. You should as he should treat you like a queen.
There is always more to the story. However, what has been displayed on RHOA, Kordell should not have a problem of Porsha pursuing her dreams.

This is my last post because this site is not credi… nvm

Tracey Wooden

Posted at 6:44 PM on March 28, 2013

Oh my goodness, Kordell, Kordell, Kordell. I don’t know what your sexual preference is but if you married Porsha for all the wrong reasons (knowingly) that you really want a man. That’s sad, so sad. I really feel for Porsha because she is very childlike for a woman of 31 years of age. Porsha seens like she really do believe in fairytales and she thought she was living a real life fairytale. Yes Porsha agreed to be a stay at home mom at the start of her marriage but people grow and change with time. It’s almost 2 years of marriage and the young lady has simply changed some of her original thoughts on marriage. Kordell doesn’t understand the 80/20 rule. Look up what TD Jakes says about the 80/20 rule. Kordell Porsha was Kordell’s 80%. Marriage and relationships are about finding a common ground and building. If your foundation of your relationship is strong meaning rooted and grounded on the word of GOD when strong forces come into your life and blow you and your mate apart and that 20% (something that you think your really missing in your relationship show up) reevaluate your relationship and start listing what you really need a person and PUSH = (PRAY UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPEN). Both parties have to work at the relationship and Kordell was a man that is in CONTROL, he said that about himself. When a person show you colorful side of themselves, believe them. I just pray for Porsha and Kordell, they need it.

GOD IS LOVE,

LovePorsha

Posted at 6:30 PM on March 28, 2013

I watched the show before porsha and seeing her situation I believe she IS being controlled to a severe extent. The other women were not wrong they were trying to help her see how life really is for her its not healthy. Without the other women she may still have been enslaved into thinking that’s the right way of life because kordell as stated never really let her go anywhere or have too many friends because he feared the worst of just what it became…posha Eyes ears and nose were opened to the TRUTH. live your life porsha. There will be more good men who will treat you better. Believe in God as you have done and follow your dreams. He closes one door to open a better one.

Syn

Posted at 3:49 PM on March 28, 2013

LOL at the friend who said if Porsha had not listened to others “she’d still have a man.” NOBODY CARES ABOUT KEEPING KORDELL. Porsha can get way better men. A real man who knows he can be the leader while still allowing the wife to have freedom and identity.

Kordell was not a real man. He was insecure and needed to oppress people in order to feel big. Now, he’s lost the best woman he can ever get because … look at him. All he has is money. He doesnt’ have looks. When he speaks, he sounds ridiculous. He’s not masculine. And he has a bad personality. He’s mean and condescending.

Everyone should be celebrating that Porsha can get free from this jerk. It’s his loss and her gain.

Patrick

Posted at 5:59 PM on March 28, 2013

Kordell simply gave her a choice. Career or raise a child. Ain’t nothing wrong with that. Nene stayed home for eight years to raise her son whilst Greg held his own as a husband. Kordell is a true man and he sure knows what he wants. Good luck to Porsha in finding a better man if there is one that is single.

mg

Posted at 2:33 AM on March 31, 2013

Agree that Kordell’s attitude emasculated him and had nothing to do with Porsha wanting a career. God enables women to serve beyond the kitchen and if Kordell was a secure true leader he would allow his wife to have freedom and identity instead of using oppressive antics. I may not share most of the Bravo’s housewives choice of fun but agree that NeNee did give her good advice and yes, Porsha can get a better man. In fact, there was no need for her to “get” him from the start. Porsha should have let him be with Tania Richardson and their son from the get go. As per you saying Kordell is not masculine, observe the reruns, his arrogance goes with his masculinity and seemingly becoming to Walter’s taste.

Think Again

Posted at 2:07 PM on March 28, 2013

To all those commending Kordell on being a “strong black man,” please consider how Porsha found out she was being divorced…the media. Strong black men handle their business in a much more mature manner.

Dianne

Posted at 2:04 PM on March 28, 2013

My husband of 27 years was from the West Indies, and he used quietly manipulating moves to control me. The first three years of our marriage should have been themed “let’s fix Dianne.” I jumped through hoops trying to please him. Then realizing He had flaws too, I stood up for myself and told him to get a life. By that time, I had distanced myself from all my friends and had to build new ones. When I turned fifty, suddenly, he tells me that he “found” his soul mate. Imagine that, the woman who birthed your three children and lost her youth was actually not your soul mate! I am now 60, and happy as a lark. ALL YOU YOUNG LADIES out there, if you feel suffocated, trust me, and yourself, that you probably are! Do Not give away your youth!

Gina

Posted at 1:38 PM on March 28, 2013

Ugly man (inside and out). Pretty Porsha can do better.

Diannegt (@Diamnegt)

Posted at 1:10 PM on March 28, 2013

Men always saying they want a good woman, Well Kordell found his good woman and that was not good enough for him. Rumor says he’s gay,( I don’t know for sure) but, maybe he married Porsha just to help disbar the fact that he was being accused of being gay. You know, if he is gay. why lead someone on just because you are ashamed of being who you really are. So now I guess he will find another submissive woman so he continue playing the role of a straight man. umph umph umph. I agree with NeNe and the other girls, Porsha you are young and still have your whole life in front of you. Make your self a career and make your own money, like the other housewifes said. Cause when people have control over the purse strings they think they can run your life and make you do what they want you todo. Stand up girl run your own life, career, etc. and forget the dump sh*t.

ashlee

Posted at 11:48 AM on March 28, 2013

kordell is a tyrant. controlling is something else. I like portia, I think she found a wrong man to treat like a king.

cynthia jones

Posted at 11:05 AM on March 28, 2013

No, a lot of women put their dreams and goals on hold when married, however it comes back to bite them. I think all women should be strong and hold their own without depending on a man. This is a true example of what happens when women choose to let their careers and dreams go. My thing is no matter what, always follow your dreams and goals, why not have both, women do this everyday. I feel that this should have been one of the first topics discuss prior to getting married. Truly i believe that we try to hold on to things that God is trying to remove us from. For what ever reason, life goes on and at some point we have to accept things for what they are. Love you Porsha, stay strong and keep your faith.

lilgrandma

Posted at 9:31 AM on March 28, 2013

Porsha did good but sometimes too good.A king is somebody that will love,respect and treat you like a QUEEN too!! she deserves alot better than him!Can’t wait til he finds out that his other woman not going to be Porsha and that’s when he will pay for what he done to Porsha :) Hang in there Porsha and he wasn’t your king your king still out there :)

Charles E. Hall

Posted at 8:46 AM on March 28, 2013

This is a sad day for marriage. I watch the Real House Wives of Atlanta and Porsha and Kordell were true members. The title states, Real House Wives of Atlanta and half of the women on the show are not married or recently divorce. Now let us look at this problem from a Macro level, the public believe that most black women are not married or have baby daddies, such a ghetto term. When I saw Kordell and Porsha together, to me they represented a strong union. She considered the feeling of her husband and they made decisions together. I understand that we as the viewing audience do not see everything, but it was your choice to put your life on television. So with the information given that was the decision I was able to render.

Married is a blessing from GOD and regardless how successful a person may become; at the end of the day marriage is what it is all about. Your looks will fade and your body will transition to a less than tone state. But what will remain is that spouse whom you have dedicated your life too.

Before someone dismiss this blog and say this person is ($*@# and is not married, so he could not know understand what we are dealing with…. My wife and I are beautiful and we have been married for 15 years.

Mr. and Mrs. Stewart I pray that GOD fix this union, because with GOD everything is possible. Trust me, I know.

Think Again

Posted at 2:17 PM on March 28, 2013

Charles, marriage is indeed a blessing from God. It is great that your marriage is strong. But remember, marriage is God’s idea (not man’s). He designed the institution to be a “three-cord rope” with Him as head, husband and wife submitted to Him, then to one another. If that is not the order, it will not work. God doesn’t have to bless or fix anything that He did not initiate.

Danazceo

Posted at 6:23 AM on March 28, 2013

What Kordell did to Porsha is the equivalent of emotional rape. The Rape the same thing happened to me 12 years ago and I stopped having. Anything to do w/men ever since. My husband unexpectedly walked out on our “happy” marriage stating he had some issues to deal with. But it left me confused, humiliated and so emotionally scared that Ihavent dated in 12 yrs. Because if a man who promised to love you can hurt you that badl I makes you wondering who you CAN trust?. I hope this doesn’t happen to young beautiful Porsha. Kordel IS just one Controlling PIG ? Pig in a sea of controlling pigs. Love Yourself

Pam

Posted at 5:10 AM on March 28, 2013

I think that Kordell wanted a Stepford wife and Porsha went along with that role for a while until she started to hear the opinions of the other wives on the show. Then she started to actually express opinions and K was not having that. His mantra was stay home, serve me, act dumb or ship out. Hence the breakdown of the marriage. Some of these rich jocks are spoiled… it’s their way of the highway!

Marilyn

Posted at 5:01 AM on March 28, 2013

Continuaion….Porsha you never let those single women or jealous women on tht show get in your head. Now, you need a shrink to help you figure out your life, before talking it over with your husband first?…you need to get off that show now. I sure yourfam has told you how silly could b. Wendy Williams weighed in on this she always dish black men on her show, and whbite men can’t do no wrong…Controlling black man is really a sur…I don’t feel sorry for Porsha, she doesn’t even know what she want, an in Georgia, plez…She lost a good man. Is the wife of a lawyer, judge, doctor etc in Georgia working outside the home in GA?…sorry that state nis not LA. Watch Yolanda on rhobh. She says her husband is king of jer home, sbh likes cooking for him and her children. Kyle also, her kids are older, now she works outside d home, but on her and her family schedule. I’m sure Porsha had a husekeeper to clean her large home. She sent the wrong message to black youth n young blk couples who would have aspired to her and Kordell lifestyle. Sad, but saw it coming….stop belittling successful black men in the south. Don’t confuse strong with controlling..

cynthia jones

Posted at 11:10 AM on March 28, 2013

I dont feel as if the other women had anything to do with Porscha decisions, however this was in Porsha all along but she couldnt express herself without hearing other wives who were able to manage both marriage, baby and career. At some point we all have to be true to ourselves.

Sherry

Posted at 5:43 PM on March 29, 2013

Yolanda’s husband has been married 4 times, so I hope she is not number 5. Kordell filed for divorce not her so you are confused.

Nae

Posted at 11:48 PM on March 29, 2013

Ok Marilyn although I barely understood your grammar I can say that I totally agree with what you are saying about the difference between a strong black man and a controlling man. Now what I do not agree with is the fact that you are belittling Porsha because she went to get counseling from a professional so she will know how to step to her man about what t is she wants out of life. If you were watching the show daily you would have clearly seen that SHE DID go to him and express her feelings about having a baby and a career and he shot it down. I too do not see why she cannot have both. I also do agree that she did choose to be a house wife when they first got married, but like another person said people do change with time. If he really did love her having a baby and a career wouldn’t be an issue at all. Just because her man is rich doesn’t mean she have to stay home all the time and only do that. Depending on another source other then GOD does not make you a strong anything, that is considered dependent, which she should not be unless that is a personal choice of hers.

dvlbch

Posted at 1:44 AM on April 1, 2013

spell check please

Marilyn

Posted at 4:30 AM on March 28, 2013

I saw this coming when Porsha allowed those women who want to be in her shoes. She has a successful black man that wants a housewife and a family. She had to know that going into the marriage. She was in a position of not having to work, but togive back with her grandfather foundation. I think she is the ceo of it. I know two of those cast members were jealous of her lifestyle, and her enemy on the show, Kenya, will be the first in line to nab Kordell. Porsha is very immature as a 31yr old black woman. Does she realize how blessed she was not to have to work?…most women in the work place do not want to work outside the home, they have to, bc they are single weomen with children and no man, or wife stressed trying to work outside the home and raise their kids bc they have to. Kordell wasn’t controlling of her. That was NeNe and Cynthia, using that term and it went virtal…To bad she will see how quickly another woman wou like nothing more than be a housewife and mother, plus do charity work. All on their schedule! What is wrong is tyhe order of the world and God’s word…God. family work. Brek the order and this is why 51% of hjouseholds are single women. Maybe it is fame Porsha wants, but at this price, I don’t think so. She had a strong black man that gave her a living she never dreame of. She will never get another opportunity like that in the ATL…so, get a job Porsha, on someone ell

Momto2boya

Posted at 8:56 AM on April 5, 2013

Women go on these shows to fill a void – and yes, I love watching them. It’s about being famous for being famous.

lanino

Posted at 12:55 AM on March 28, 2013

F@ck kordell..Please porsha is a beautiful woman and kordell is ah joke..old fashioned and bossy…I feel bad for her…but god knows get out and get happy porsha

Nadu

Posted at 12:51 AM on March 28, 2013

She kept harping on this so called career she wants, but I’m still confused about what career she was hoping to pursue. The woman is as as dumb as a doorknob, and was unrealistic about wanting to do it all. Yes, some women can do it all, like her mom. But their circumstances were definite motivators. Hard to have real drive when you’re walking around with a huge silver spoon in your mouth,

Is Kordell a chauvinist? Yes. Doesn’t always equate to controlling. He was clear about what he wanted from their marriage and she wanted to deviate from it. Boom, deal broken.

bkisses

Posted at 4:51 AM on March 28, 2013

I personally think Kordell had divorce on his mind for awhile. I totally agree with you before he married her he made it clear he wants her home, and he will be the money maker, she didn’t have any problem with that, now shes running her mouth and making it appear to be the injured party. Did she really think Kordell will stoop to her way and allow her to break the promise she made to him. He is very controlling but this is something she knew before she married him…

Bobbie Woody

Posted at 7:23 PM on March 28, 2013

bkisses..I agree with you. The last time when Porsha was on WWHL (she was wearing a green suit). Andy asked her if she and kordell had talked about her having babies and being a stay at home mother. She said that they were in agreement on that and it was what she wanted, now she wants both. Kordell knows that Porsha would have had a hard time raising a child period, and that she should not have nannies raising her children for her. She said that her mother did it. He told her it was very hard on her mother and her mother did it because she had no other options. She said that he could help her. He said that he is away a lot making the money and bringing it to her and she could not depend on him to help raise the child. He then said that she would have to make up her mind .. career or babies. She is currently pursuing a singing career. Kandi is helping her. I am not taking sides, but Kordell probably told her it was not going to work. He probably told her that were not going to make it and she just believed that she could make him change his mind.I don’t think she was blind sided. He may not have told her when, but I believe he told her that they were a rap.

Tee

Posted at 12:18 AM on March 28, 2013

Porsha,
That man is worth 20 million. You should not let those other housewives wreck your home. You were happy be a stay at home wife until they got in your ear. Save your marriage. Stay with that man. Tell those other women to “kick rocks.” I can understand your wanting to have a life of your own, but you knew what kind of man Kordell was before you married him. You knew he wanted a traditional marriage. You were happy with that until now. Kordell didn’t change….you did!! If you divorce him, you will regret it.

Key

Posted at 2:52 AM on March 28, 2013

Really sad & disgusting comment…even the way you started off talki g about money like that’s more important than respect & happiness.

Pinky

Posted at 7:23 PM on April 2, 2013

Please get your facts straight, she didn’t file for the divorce, he did. Her position is still to be with her husband and work things out even though he is controlling.

AkitaLove

Posted at 11:44 PM on March 27, 2013

Porsha you are a smart, beautiful, and talented women. Kordell Stewart does not deserve you. Women are not full-time maids. He just showed his ugly side.

The WORD

Posted at 11:32 PM on March 27, 2013

EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT. Ne Ne, and the other egomaniacs are jealous. Those girls also don’t have good hearts, meaning hearts that truly belong to GOD. Porsha is a good girl who loves God. She should not be on that show. Proscha seems a little impressionable and those women poisoned her mind. Very SAD. People that value marriage should NEVER go on Bravotv. Poison. Andy Cohen is oblivious to the crap he puts out to the universe. mazel andy.

Jones15

Posted at 2:45 AM on August 14, 2013

I don’t think Nene is jealous she is very successful and beautiful. And if kordell really loved porsha he would’ve supported her %100 in whatever she wanted to do no matter what agreements were made.

Pam

Posted at 11:32 PM on March 27, 2013

BOO Kordell Stewart..never liked you and your attitude to begin with..most dont!! Go away!f

Sadie

Posted at 11:30 PM on March 27, 2013

Porsha needs to get away from that horrible ugly controlling man! She will do much better without him; Kordell was so ugly and tacky. How did he ever even get a date with the adorable Porsha?

The WORD

Posted at 11:35 PM on March 27, 2013

Korsell is not a bad guy. He is a strong man who is traditional. He has values. unlike the bisexual strip clubbing ho’s that are porsha’s costars.

shunnbunn

Posted at 1:25 AM on March 28, 2013

I think this divorce will be Kordel’s loss. There aren’t many women that would deal with him be sooo controlling and too opinionated. If he can’t deal with Porsha having a difference of opinion from him then he isn’t a real man just a boy that needs to control his women to feel like a man. Marriage is work .If he married her thinking it was going to be anything but work then that was his bad. There is lots of compromise in a successful marriage. He didn’t even wait to have a true disagreement before he just called it quits. Makes me wonder if he really was in love with her because you don’t just turn off your feelings for someone over night. Why lead this girl on Kordel? That was a kiddie move.I truly think Kordel would be intimidated by a strong minded women. I think Porsha is guilty of holding on to something that was really never there to begin with or was long gone. She had to see the signs before she got married but fooled herself into thinking she could deal with Kordel. She should have been honest with herself and kept it movin long ago.You can only play someone else’s game for a little while before you start to feel slighted. I think she was beginning to find her voice and was tired of dancing to the beat of his drum and he had a tantrum (typical childish reaction). I liked Porsha on the show. I think she could be a lot happier with someone else. I hope she counts this as a life lesson and learns from it. She is young and can take her time to find the right suiter.