90210 Recap: An Unexpected Tragedy Leaves Annie Heartbroken

Tue, February 5, 2013 12:49am EST by 21 Comments
90210 Riley Dies
Courtesy of The CW (3)

Just when I thought Annie actually had a shot at happiness, her relationship with Riley takes a fatal turn.

Annie (Shenae Grimes) apparently awoke from her coma crazier than ever, because instead of confessing her love Liam (Matt Lanter) on the Feb. 4 episode of 90210 — color me crazy, but wasn’t that the whole point of her dream?! — she actually decided she was in love with Riley (Riley Smith)! Seriously, did I miss something?

She rushed to the hospital, told him she loved him, and everything appeared to be sunshine and unicorns. But because this is Annie we’re talking about — her fairytale is more likely to end with a fiery boat explosion than a horse-drawn carriage — tragedy was lurking just around the corner.

Riley’s doctor called to tell Annie that, due to complications during his surgery, he passed away. I’m not entirely sure how Riley died — I’m no doctor, let’s be real — but my theory is that a disgruntled “Lannie” shipper snuck into the hospital, dressed like a sexy nurse, and messed with his IV drip.

Real talk, though: I was really sad to see Riley go. He was a fun actor, and had he not been introduced as a love interest for Annie, maybe he would have stood a fighting chance. Heaven got a beautiful new set of wheels tonight.

Naomi & Max Call It Quits — Again

Naomi’s (AnnaLynne McCord) relationship also came to an end this week, though her story wasn’t quite as tragic as Annie’s. Basically, Naomi’s marriage counselor told her and Max (Josh Zuckerman) to focus on themselves for a little while — like Naomi needs anyone to tell her to do that — and the end result wasn’t pretty.

While Naomi realized she wanted to move to Tokyo and become a princess — I don’t have the time or energy to explain that one — Max decided he wanted to move to enroll at MIT. But because Massachusetts is cold, and apparently full of pilgrims, Naomi told him she didn’t want to tag along.

Cue the breakup. Cue Max sending Naomi a tiara. Cue Naomi doing her best impression of a human with real emotions.

Liam’s A Lover AND A Fighter

In what is clearly an early birthday present for me — or late, depending on how you choose to read your calendar — Liam spent the entire episode in full-on cage-fighter mode. I’m talking shirtless, sweaty and fighting. The whole time. “I’m not here to talk, I’m here to hit stuff,” he said, without a hint of irony. (Liam Court, my prince!)

But things got kind of dark when Liam got kicked out of the gym for getting too physical with one of the other fighters. That’s right, someone actually complained about Liam getting too physical with them. I don’t get it, either.

I don’t see this whole cage-fighter story line going very well for Liam — we all remember how well it ended for Ryan on The O.C. — but I’m willing to enjoy the view while it lasts.

Teddy & Silver Play ‘Catch’ With Their Embryos

After Navid (Michael Steger) sent him on an unexpected guilt trip — apparently if Silver (Jessica Stroup) doesn’t have babies now, she never will — Teddy (Trevor Donovan) agreed to let her keep the embryos. But wait, there’s a catch! Silver has to use a surrogate to carry the child, rather than let it live inside her stomach… or wherever babies live when they’re all gross and wet.

So ‘Operation: Make A Baby’ took a drastic turn, but at least it’s still happening. Now there’s just that small issue of how Silver is going to pay for the baby once it’s born. Does she have a job? Has she ever had a job? How much money did Jackie leave her when she died?! These are the tough questions, people.

Everybody Hates Dixon

Dixon’s (Tristan Wilds) plan to get revenge on Adrianna (Jessica Lowndes) for being a super slut totally backfired on him this week. He basically turned her into his beautiful trained monkey, forcing her to sing embarrassing jingles, etc., all the while funneling her earnings into a secret scholarship fund for Megan (Jessica Parker Kennedy.) But when the girls found out what Dixon was up to, they both stormed off furiously.

In summary: Adrianna hates Dixon, Megan hates Dixon, and at this point, I’m pretty sure Dixon hates Dixon too. Good times all around.

What did you think of this week’s episode? Were you shocked and/or saddened by Riley’s death? Do you think all hope is gone for Naomi and Max? And how do you feel about Teddy’s little trick? Drop a comment with your review of the episode!

— Andy Swift

More 90210 on HollywoodLife.com:

1. 90210 Recap: Annie’s Twisted Dream Brings Her Closer To Liam, Sort Of
  2. 90210 Recap: Liam’s Rescue Mission Ends With A Gunshot
  3. 90210 Scoop: Arielle Kebbel Previews Vanessa’s ‘Redemption’ Episode

Sara

Posted at 4:06 AM on February 12, 2013

It was absolutely ridiculous when Riley got killed off. I cried tons! Their relationship was built up so well together, I couldn’t wait for them to come on the screen ever since they got together, I felt happy whenever I saw their romance! It really felt like you were a part of the whole thing. Their romance made me smile, laugh and cry, it was amazing and the most realistic. Liam and Annie had chemistry, but it didn’t work out. I loved Lannie at the time, but after she met Riley nothing mattered anymore. I’m so, so disappointed about Riley dying, it really shocked me. It was the first time in a long time I actually proper cried at a TV show or movie! It’s silly to say this but it actually hurt me when he died, it felt so real! My reaction surprised even myself when Annie was told the news. I wish they would say it was all a joke or a misunderstanding, but I know that can’t happen. Oh well. I guess I should have seen something like this coming, nothing could be that perfect for too long.

Posted at 11:52 PM on February 26, 2013

and then 2 weeks later she’s in love with someone else again and riley is totally forgotten. This show is bollox.

GABY RIBEIRO (BR)

Posted at 7:00 PM on February 7, 2013

naomi and max hated having parted they were perfect together, and I hope that Liam and Annie get together they fomam im cute couple!!!!

sarahC

Posted at 8:35 PM on February 6, 2013

Pulmonary. Embolism. F*$#%ing phone!!!

sarahC

Posted at 8:31 PM on February 6, 2013

Andy please Google Paembolismembolism. Y are people not getting how Riley died? Blood to heart = bad. And death. Look it up. Its ain’t rocket science its medicine.

Alexa

Posted at 6:13 PM on February 5, 2013

At this point they should just make it a parody and resolve complicated relationships by having the ex-flings get hit with a bus, like in Mean Girls. Because that’s how realistic these characters’ emotions and the situations they find themselves in are.

Ray

Posted at 2:55 PM on February 5, 2013

I must admit that it was a very sad moment when Riley died. I’m going to miss the ‘hot and cold’ of Rannie. He’s actually only one of two guest romances of Annie that I liked watching. On a lighter note, Liam and Annie are living together. Oh my little shipper heart!
I really wanted Max and Naomi to work things out. I’m not their biggest fan, but they deserve some type of stability.

Andy Swift

Posted at 3:53 PM on February 5, 2013

I like Max, but again, what a weird fit for Naomi. I was surprised they brought him back, and I was NOT surprised to see them part ways.

Divjot singh

Posted at 1:08 PM on February 5, 2013

What’s the song in the end of episode

Ashley

Posted at 12:03 PM on February 5, 2013

Omg for real!! The only reason I was watching it was because Riley smith was in it he’s such a babe!!! He and Annie were so cute!!! I not watching it anymore!

Jessica

Posted at 5:18 AM on February 5, 2013

Tonight’s episode is sad. I never thought Riley would die. i want to see Rannie happened. I like Riley and Annie right now before Lannie but didn’t know we lost Riley that fast. I actually like Riley. I guess my Lannie is happening soon.

sassy

Posted at 5:05 AM on February 5, 2013

thats so stupid

Anna

Posted at 2:43 AM on February 5, 2013

They wrote off Riley in such a lame way. “A clot went to his lungs”? Seriously? When he was chipper after the surgery? It doesn’t even make me wanna see Lannie happening again. Annie could have matured so much with Riley before eventually getting back with Liam. The whole thing was rushed a la 90210: she loves him all of a sudden after dating him for what? 1 month? Then he died. What’s the point of having Annie date random characters like a drug dealer or a priest, then make them disappear like a genie?

ari

Posted at 7:24 AM on February 5, 2013

i completely agree! i feel like 90210 has gotten to unrealistic. i also feel like theres to much relationship hopping going on first there was austin & naomi then he cheated and disappeared off the face of the earth…then she got back with max..then there was ivy and raj and he died then she moved on 2 diego and he left and she followed..got over that quick!. then dixon is with ade and he almost dies then annie is with liam and they break up and then silver is with navid right after adrianna then silver hooks up with liam and wants to have a baby. i cnt keep up! its to much relationship drama…relationship HOPPING drama. then annie dates riley for a month falls in love and he’s dead!? how unrealistic is that!? im tired of this. its gotten to predictable. i know exactly wat will happen the moment 2 ppl exchange words with each other! thats how predictable & rediculous this show has gotten. like dammit..make the ppl stay with ONE person. i cnt keep up with who was with who its really stupid

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:19 AM on February 5, 2013

Are you suggesting Annie should date a genie next? I could get on board with that.

abe

Posted at 2:02 AM on February 5, 2013

………………..be a lesbian & your heart can’t be broken by an ASSHOLE!!

kate

Posted at 1:38 AM on February 5, 2013

I am a Lannie shipper like most out there, but I was loving the Riley/Annie roller coaster and was willing to ride it for a while longer before Lannie heated back up (cause we all know it will). Seriously, I love Riley and the actor, Riley Smith. I didn’t want him to go. I’m just hoping they don’t glaze over his death and make Lannie happen immediately. I hope we see the recovery process for Annie (the next episode looks pretty light so I’m worried their going to move quickly over this topic).

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:20 AM on February 5, 2013

I agree, I really like Riley Smith as an actor. I wish they’d brought him in for something other than a love interest Annie. We all know how those go…

A

Posted at 1:18 AM on February 5, 2013

I was shocked and saddened when Riley died! I was starting to really like his character and loved him and Annie together. Especially after everything seemed so happy and perfect…..I was not expecting that at all! I actually started yelling at my tv a little bit, not going to lie.

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:37 AM on February 5, 2013

I was sad, too. Like most viewers, I figure Liam & Annie will eventually get back together, but I wasn’t expecting Riley to DIE.

jeniLee

Posted at 8:36 PM on February 6, 2013

Ok so it has to be pointed out that of course Annie is suddenly in love with Riley once she finds out he might die. Convenient timing annie. Secondly I so agree Andy. Wasnt the point of her dream that Liam is the guy she wants? And yes….we havent seen Silver have a job i dont know how she is going to afford a baby haha.

Sad Riley had to die. I liked him and was willing to ride out his relationship w Annie as long as Lannie is endgame!