‘Jane By Design’ Creator: What Fans Would Have Seen In Season 2

Tue, August 21, 2012 12:48pm EST by 1,824 Comments
Jane By Design Season 2
Courtesy of ABC Family (3)

Creator April Blair reveals what she had planned for Jane & Billy’s first kiss, Ben & Rita’s race to the altar, and more.

Jane By Design fans were crushed last week when ABC Family announced the show wouldn’t be returning for a second season — I coped with carbs —  but fortunately, creator April Blair was more than happy to give HollywoodLife.com an exclusive breakdown of what we would have seen in season two. And trust me, it would have been awesome.

1. Eli to the rescue: Curious how Jane (Erica Dasher) was going to explain to Gray (Andie MacDowell) and Eli (Bryan Dechart) why she was backstage at a high-school play? “Our idea was that Eli was going to cover for her,” April says. “There were moments in episode 18 where he looked at the costumes crookedly, and throughout the play he pieced it together.”

2. Jane & Billy’s big moment: It sounds like Jane and Billy’s (Nick Roux) shippers would have been very happy with the show’s second season. “For two [finales], we really pulled the rug out from under people,” April admits. “But [in the second season], we wanted to give people that kiss, the moment they both acknowledge they have feelings for each other. We were really excited to do that, and give that to the fans.”

3. Wedding bells for Ben & Rita: April says there was a lot of discussion about Ben’s (David Clayton Rogers) future with Rita (Smith Cho), now that he decided to stay in town: “Do they get engaged? Will Rita become a bit of a bridezilla, obsessed with planning her wedding? We definitely wanted to have Ben propose next season.”

4. Jeremy & India: Things between Jeremy (Rowly Dennis) and India (India de Beaufort) would only become more complicated in season two. “Jeremy would come back and start his own independent label, becoming a competitor for Donovan Decker,” April reveals. “His romance with India would grow, and they would become more serious — but at the same time, they would become professional rivals.”

5. Amanda, please: Amanda Clark (Briga Heelan) may not have found love with Ben, but April says there would definitely have been romance in her future. “We were thinking of maybe having Amanda begin dating Todd [the other teacher originally vying for Rita’s attention], and it would become a competitive couple thing. When you’re engaged or dating, you always have a friend that tries to one-up you. So we’d keep Amanda and Rita’s competition alive, but it would be less about Ben, and more about the rivalry between the two women.”

6. Mom’s back: “We were hoping to have [Jane’s mom] make a reappearance,” April says. Teri Hatcher was contracted to direct an episode of season two, but actually having her appear as Kate in front of the camera “would really be subject to Teri’s availability.”

How do you feel about Jane ending before its time was really up? Which of these potential story lines would you have loved to see? Drop me a comment with your thoughts! (We can get through this together.)

— Andy Swift

More Jane By Design:

1. ‘Jane By Design’ Canceled By ABC Family
  2. ‘Jane By Design’ Season 2: A New Guy For Jane & More I Want To See
  3. ‘Jane By Design’ Summer Finale: Jane’s Secret Is Finally Exposed

Michaela

Posted at 2:14 PM on April 13, 2013

I am really upset that the show was cancelled! It was my favorite show! I watched it every time it was on. I hope they rethink their decision because I really loved it and so did all my friends! Please bring the show back!!

linda

Posted at 3:58 AM on April 13, 2013

I am very upset jane by design was cancelled. I am 36 and I loved that show. I looked forward to watching every week. I rarely get hooked on any shows, but this one got me. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze bring it back!!!!!!!!!! Please! I feel pretty little liars or switched at birth should of been cancelled before this show. Please bring it back!

lyanne

Posted at 5:01 PM on April 12, 2013

I would have loved to see the kiss between Jane and Billy

Jackie

Posted at 1:48 AM on April 12, 2013

I’m really sad that they decided to cancel this show. I wish there was some way we could get ABCfamily to make a season 2,3,4 and so on…. It would have been exciting to see exactly how they played out their visions for the next season and what happens with the relationships and job statuses.

kimmy

Posted at 1:01 AM on April 12, 2013

Hearing about the cancellation of the show, really disappoints me. I’m a solid supporter of this show. Imagine among all of the american shows I’ve watched ‘jane by design is the only show that gain my attention and interest, it truly shows that this show is really entertaining. Regardless of the ratings, this show is trully amazing. I hope ABC family would change their mind on cancelling this show and let it persue the next season. If that happen, I’m sure that all the fans all over the world, especially in the PHILIPPINES would be very Happy! Please! It’s the only show that gives me goosebumps…

K

Posted at 3:41 PM on April 11, 2013

I really loved Jane By Design and was disappointed when I found out it was cancelled. I think I would like to see Jane and Billys big moment the most. I really wish it would come back on

sherry

Posted at 11:01 PM on April 10, 2013

so I just figured out that Jane by was cancelled. I loved this show. I’ve not seen anything like it. wish they would bring it back!

Emmy

Posted at 11:57 PM on April 8, 2013

I am crushed that Jane By Design season 2 was cancelled. This was one of the best shows I have seen! The actors were incredible and the story line was phenomenal. I wish they would reconsider seeing as there are so many fans.

Isabella

Posted at 10:21 PM on April 8, 2013

I love Jane by Design. It was a great show and it was the reason i got stuff done so i would just go home and watch it. i was really depressed that they cancled it!! it was so much better than PLL!! They so need to bring back the show!!

Koko

Posted at 10:03 PM on April 7, 2013

I am from philippines and we are so fan of jane by design. Its not just about the story as well but that fashion! Please recreate the series! Its so much better than pretty little liars. Hahha

anissa

Posted at 1:32 AM on April 7, 2013

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try again to bring back this second season. This show was truly inspiring and was actually real. I could relate so well and I just want more. The second season would have been amazing and follow up seasons.

Rebekah

Posted at 4:35 PM on April 6, 2013

Heart is so broken. I really wanted to watch more of this show. It was the best show ever. I was so addicted to it! I wish it would come back on. </3

Barbara

Posted at 4:09 AM on April 6, 2013

jane && billys big moment . i just noticed theres no more jilly / bane :( no more jane by design crushed thats one of my fav && im upset way befor it could be a bane two that is really harsh . why cant we try to save jane by design ?

Sophie

Posted at 8:52 PM on April 5, 2013

I would have wanted to see everyone of those episodes and I’m really upset that I didn’t get to see what would have happened between Jane and billy! It’s the main reason I watched the show! They should not have cancelled it.

Grace

Posted at 11:21 AM on April 5, 2013

I was waiting and waiting for the season to start and I just read it was cancelled!! How why?!!?! I love this show!! I say the bring it back!! ABC family is coming out with horrible shows like bunheads and that one directed by jlo… My point is they are canceling their great shows and bringing bad ones!

jubril azrak mohammed

Posted at 7:50 PM on April 2, 2013

yap, i think when i 1st shw it. I never tought i could find it interesting but aftr watchin the season 1, oh my god i rily lovd it, i mean al the high sch drama stufs, the twist thng etc. Mch fun in the house. And i’l luv 2 c much sweet and romantic thngs for both jane and bily coz i obivously new they both had alot in common. Luv ur show and kudoz 2 janny, u lok amazin and beautful.

jazmine C.

Posted at 4:19 AM on April 2, 2013

There are petitions to bring this show back…is there anyway that it will help? Is there anything that can be done to save this show?

stephanie

Posted at 2:25 AM on April 2, 2013

ok so i got soooooo hooked on this show when i found it on netflix. Then i come to the last episode and then i find out theres no second season. what the heck they should of atleast gave them a heads up so they could of rapped everything up within the last episodes, Thats so not fair i wanted to see Jane and Billy finally together and of course the outcome with grey. Man i was soo looking forward to that second season and my dreams were crushed. This show had romance, twists, drama, frienships, fashion and good ethics about school and dreams that people pursue. NOT FAIR ATLEAST DO ONE LAST SEASON TO GIVE US ALL WHAT WE WANT TO SEE HAPPEN BETWEEN THE CHARACTERS…….. Come onnnnnnn

Darlene

Posted at 8:02 PM on April 1, 2013

This is soooooo stupid!!!!! That was my favorite show!!!! How can they just end it like that?!?!! That show was the bestest ever! The second season would have been soooo good!!!!

peta pan

Posted at 7:00 PM on April 1, 2013

ugh im like in love with this show and sad its not making a return :(

janie

Posted at 1:53 PM on April 1, 2013

I cannot believe that I am just NOW finding out that JBD has been canceled. ABC has such weird schedules on how their seasons begin & end. I finally googled the show to see when it was returning. I am completely bummed about this news. I absolutely loved that show, the characters, the plots, THE FASHION! I am somewhat new to ABC family and their shows. What surprised me the most was alot of their teen shows had sex. I thought the”family” meant family appropriate, not lets have our shows show the teens on how to make a family. JBD didn’t show in detail people having sex. It was a show that I didn’t have to have my remote on pause if my 8 & 11yr. old walked into the room. PLEASE BRING BACK JANE BY DESIGN!!

Jenny

Posted at 8:37 AM on April 1, 2013

I wish i could’ve seen jbd continue…is there a possibility of making a Movie to wrap it all up?

Victoria

Posted at 8:23 PM on March 30, 2013

I’m very upset! This show is amazing! N seeing it on Netflix caught my eye n got me hooked! Nowadays people watch Netflix more that Is why I have never heard of Jane by design until I got Netflix n I believe they should continue on with season two n season 3

Makenna

Posted at 6:32 PM on March 30, 2013

I would have stopped watching Pretty Little Liars in order to keep watching Jane by Design. Honestly, I think it’s not as far fetched at PLL. I loved Jane by Design and I was very upset when I finished Season 1 only to hear they weren’t doing anymore! ughhhh!!! ABCfamily I’m very very very upset with you people

Diamond

Posted at 11:37 PM on March 28, 2013

I would really love if you would put Jane by design back on air because it was very interesting and it kept u waiting to see what was going to happen next. Putting this show back on air would not only make me happy but a lot of viewers happy to see it back. I would really love this show and when I seen it wasn’t comin bak on that made me so mad because I expected to see it on every Tuesday night. If you put this show back I will be the happiest person in the world. Thank You. Please read this and take it from a viewers point of view. Please play the show again.