‘Jane By Design’ Creator: What Fans Would Have Seen In Season 2

Tue, August 21, 2012 12:48pm EDT by 1,807 Comments
Jane By Design Season 2
Courtesy of ABC Family (3)

Creator April Blair reveals what she had planned for Jane & Billy’s first kiss, Ben & Rita’s race to the altar, and more.

Jane By Design fans were crushed last week when ABC Family announced the show wouldn’t be returning for a second season — I coped with carbs —  but fortunately, creator April Blair was more than happy to give HollywoodLife.com an exclusive breakdown of what we would have seen in season two. And trust me, it would have been awesome.

1. Eli to the rescue: Curious how Jane (Erica Dasher) was going to explain to Gray (Andie MacDowell) and Eli (Bryan Dechart) why she was backstage at a high-school play? “Our idea was that Eli was going to cover for her,” April says. “There were moments in episode 18 where he looked at the costumes crookedly, and throughout the play he pieced it together.”

2. Jane & Billy’s big moment: It sounds like Jane and Billy’s (Nick Roux) shippers would have been very happy with the show’s second season. “For two [finales], we really pulled the rug out from under people,” April admits. “But [in the second season], we wanted to give people that kiss, the moment they both acknowledge they have feelings for each other. We were really excited to do that, and give that to the fans.”

3. Wedding bells for Ben & Rita: April says there was a lot of discussion about Ben’s (David Clayton Rogers) future with Rita (Smith Cho), now that he decided to stay in town: “Do they get engaged? Will Rita become a bit of a bridezilla, obsessed with planning her wedding? We definitely wanted to have Ben propose next season.”

4. Jeremy & India: Things between Jeremy (Rowly Dennis) and India (India de Beaufort) would only become more complicated in season two. “Jeremy would come back and start his own independent label, becoming a competitor for Donovan Decker,” April reveals. “His romance with India would grow, and they would become more serious — but at the same time, they would become professional rivals.”

5. Amanda, please: Amanda Clark (Briga Heelan) may not have found love with Ben, but April says there would definitely have been romance in her future. “We were thinking of maybe having Amanda begin dating Todd [the other teacher originally vying for Rita's attention], and it would become a competitive couple thing. When you’re engaged or dating, you always have a friend that tries to one-up you. So we’d keep Amanda and Rita’s competition alive, but it would be less about Ben, and more about the rivalry between the two women.”

6. Mom’s back: “We were hoping to have [Jane's mom] make a reappearance,” April says. Teri Hatcher was contracted to direct an episode of season two, but actually having her appear as Kate in front of the camera “would really be subject to Teri’s availability.”

How do you feel about Jane ending before its time was really up? Which of these potential story lines would you have loved to see? Drop me a comment with your thoughts! (We can get through this together.)

— Andy Swift

More Jane By Design:

1. ‘Jane By Design’ Canceled By ABC Family
  2. ‘Jane By Design’ Season 2: A New Guy For Jane & More I Want To See
  3. ‘Jane By Design’ Summer Finale: Jane’s Secret Is Finally Exposed

Martin

Posted at 5:41 PM on November 20, 2012

I’m really disappointed to read that.For me this were the only TV series without stupid perfunctory figures. I will be very glad if ABC family give a new meaning to cancel the second season.I believe that these series will continue rejoicing all their fans in season 2 !

Momokay

Posted at 1:23 PM on November 20, 2012

I’m friggin upset how could they do this!!!!! Was it cause the show didn’t have many watchers becuz that’s sad.I love this show with all my heart and to see it go that fast is just a jaw dropper. At least allow season to to be aired and wrap it up on that final season instead of breaking loose on the after the first season….I so upset…me cry in corner now goodbye my favotite show RIP JBD:(

Whitney

Posted at 1:13 PM on November 20, 2012

You need to make at least a second season to wrap up what was started. You left us all on the edge of our seats waiting to see what Jane would tell grey. At least a closer episode would help us get over the show. Or better yet, a whole season would be even better. You keep cancing really good shows that to s of people enjoy in the first season where not many people have heard about it. Give it a few more seasons and It will do much better. Please please please bring Jane by design back. It’s to good of a show to get rid of.

Jin Yin

Posted at 8:28 AM on November 20, 2012

abc really dropped the ball with this one. Great show I miss it

dru

Posted at 11:41 PM on November 19, 2012

i would have love to see it. it was one of my fav show and im upset that yall need it befor it even got a chance to get really good

Lilly

Posted at 3:47 PM on November 19, 2012

I am sooooo beyond upset that JBD is over. Is there any way I can watch the episodes, they already made some of them. I am going to die without JBD.

Jbd

Posted at 1:08 PM on November 20, 2012

Netflix

Stacey

Posted at 4:32 AM on November 19, 2012

Eli and Jane would have been amazing. I’m so pissed, they always cancel the amazing shows and let the stupid effing shows play! Grrrr I’m so effing mad with the network! :@

shoester

Posted at 2:47 AM on November 19, 2012

BALLS. I LOVE THIS SHOW. WHY. WHY. WHY. NOW WHAT WILL I WATCH?

Jennifer

Posted at 11:36 PM on November 18, 2012

I wanted to see Jane and Billy get together!! Sucks!

Mimircrane

Posted at 1:17 PM on November 18, 2012

I am sad that season two is not going to show.i was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens next.

Amanda Young

Posted at 4:17 AM on November 18, 2012

I really wish there was a season two, and three and four!! This was a really good show couldn’t stop watching it loved it!!! I think that it was a BIG mistake to not keep it going one of my favorite shows to watch!!! Out of the the things that were going to possibly happen in season two I was hoping for Jane and Billy to get together or at least tell each other how they really felt! The first season left you hanging and made you want to see more and for there to be no second season it REALLY SUCKS!!!!

Rachel

Posted at 1:26 AM on November 18, 2012

Bringing back Season 2 would be the best thing ever!!!! its so heartbreaking that we wont be able to see it, it was something so looked foward by so many people, now everybody is just crushed including me!! :/

Krista Pilling

Posted at 12:08 AM on November 18, 2012

PLEASE DO A SEASON TWO!!!!! COME ON ABC IM A BILLY AND JANE SHIPPER ENDGAME

Krista Pilling

Posted at 12:11 AM on November 18, 2012

I SERIOUSLY AM CONSIDERING NOT WATCHING ABC FAMILY ANYMORE THEY DO THIS WAY TOO OFTEN. AND ITS JUST DEPRESSING!

Baileigh

Posted at 11:15 PM on November 17, 2012

Why aren’t they finishing it? I was IN LOVE with that show!….and Billy

Annemarie

Posted at 8:23 PM on November 17, 2012

A wonderful show. I care for the characters. I love the main girl character – efficient at work, but vulnerable and honest at heart, with integrity in tact. Love the show! Was looking forward to more seasons. A pity it was cancelled. A missed opportunity. I hope to see more of Erica Dasher in future.

Sif Hagelskær Jensen (@Siffe)

Posted at 5:41 PM on November 17, 2012

It’s hard to believe, that a show, that you loved that much, isn’t even going for a second season. I would look so much forward for a season two, and Jane and Billys kiss scene. It ends to open for it to end. Would wish that the team behind would really reconsider!!!!

Veronica

Posted at 1:03 PM on November 17, 2012

I can’t believe the show is canceled. I literally just started watching ABC family last week and this was my favorite show!!!!!! All of this sounds amazing. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider once more bringing it back!!! IM BEGGING!!

Eva

Posted at 7:57 AM on November 17, 2012

Hello, I\m from ESTONIA and i loved this show and i would like to see Jane and Billy first kiss but i can\t now, why why why you canceled this show, sad sad sad :(

Laila

Posted at 5:49 PM on November 16, 2012

This PISSES ME OFF!!!!!! This was my favorite show!!! Me and thousands of other people have looking forward to it premiering again!! And ABC Family ruined it again!! They canceled Chloe King and now Jane!?!? Every time I get a favorite show, they cancel it!!!!! THEY ARE FREAKING IDIOTS!!!!!

aggeliki perpiniadi

Posted at 4:59 PM on November 15, 2012

hi!i am from greece and i watched the first season on nova tv!i really really loved it…i want it back on cameras for season two!!!!pleaseeeee…do the right thing come on!!!!!!and i can’t choose any scene because i want to see them all <3

Rose

Posted at 2:01 AM on November 15, 2012

I just finished watching the first season on Netflix! And I loved it!! This shpw was sister bounding time! I HATE ABC for this!

Lynnette

Posted at 1:39 AM on November 15, 2012

This makes me incredibly sad! Is there any possibility of the show still coming back? I loved this show!! I watch very few shows or tv for that matter but adored this show.

kk832

Posted at 10:21 PM on November 14, 2012

I would have loved to see Billy and Jane finally together!! The way it ended, there needed to be a season two!! Poor jane!! How was Billy going to forget about his girlfriend when they ‘did it’ ?! Jane deserved happiness and love!! And she never got it.. I wished it didnt end :(

Victoria

Posted at 10:04 PM on November 14, 2012

It breaks my heart that the show was cancelled, I love all the story lines but would have enjoyed watching Jane and billy express their feeling for each other.

jhfr9janiceaddae

Posted at 7:12 PM on November 14, 2012

u cant cancel this show!!! Please Just give it some time and for sure many people are going to watch