‘Jane By Design’ Creator: What Fans Would Have Seen In Season 2

Tue, August 21, 2012 12:48pm EST by 1,820 Comments
Jane By Design Season 2
Courtesy of ABC Family (3)

Creator April Blair reveals what she had planned for Jane & Billy’s first kiss, Ben & Rita’s race to the altar, and more.

Jane By Design fans were crushed last week when ABC Family announced the show wouldn’t be returning for a second season — I coped with carbs —  but fortunately, creator April Blair was more than happy to give HollywoodLife.com an exclusive breakdown of what we would have seen in season two. And trust me, it would have been awesome.

1. Eli to the rescue: Curious how Jane (Erica Dasher) was going to explain to Gray (Andie MacDowell) and Eli (Bryan Dechart) why she was backstage at a high-school play? “Our idea was that Eli was going to cover for her,” April says. “There were moments in episode 18 where he looked at the costumes crookedly, and throughout the play he pieced it together.”

2. Jane & Billy’s big moment: It sounds like Jane and Billy’s (Nick Roux) shippers would have been very happy with the show’s second season. “For two [finales], we really pulled the rug out from under people,” April admits. “But [in the second season], we wanted to give people that kiss, the moment they both acknowledge they have feelings for each other. We were really excited to do that, and give that to the fans.”

3. Wedding bells for Ben & Rita: April says there was a lot of discussion about Ben’s (David Clayton Rogers) future with Rita (Smith Cho), now that he decided to stay in town: “Do they get engaged? Will Rita become a bit of a bridezilla, obsessed with planning her wedding? We definitely wanted to have Ben propose next season.”

4. Jeremy & India: Things between Jeremy (Rowly Dennis) and India (India de Beaufort) would only become more complicated in season two. “Jeremy would come back and start his own independent label, becoming a competitor for Donovan Decker,” April reveals. “His romance with India would grow, and they would become more serious — but at the same time, they would become professional rivals.”

5. Amanda, please: Amanda Clark (Briga Heelan) may not have found love with Ben, but April says there would definitely have been romance in her future. “We were thinking of maybe having Amanda begin dating Todd [the other teacher originally vying for Rita's attention], and it would become a competitive couple thing. When you’re engaged or dating, you always have a friend that tries to one-up you. So we’d keep Amanda and Rita’s competition alive, but it would be less about Ben, and more about the rivalry between the two women.”

6. Mom’s back: “We were hoping to have [Jane's mom] make a reappearance,” April says. Teri Hatcher was contracted to direct an episode of season two, but actually having her appear as Kate in front of the camera “would really be subject to Teri’s availability.”

How do you feel about Jane ending before its time was really up? Which of these potential story lines would you have loved to see? Drop me a comment with your thoughts! (We can get through this together.)

— Andy Swift

More Jane By Design:

1. ‘Jane By Design’ Canceled By ABC Family
  2. ‘Jane By Design’ Season 2: A New Guy For Jane & More I Want To See
  3. ‘Jane By Design’ Summer Finale: Jane’s Secret Is Finally Exposed

Bridget

Posted at 2:37 PM on November 20, 2014

This was my favorite show and I don’t even get around to watching much T.V. I hope they would decide to bring this back. In my own opinion, it was much better than many of the shows they play now.

Amalie Svendsen

Posted at 2:35 AM on November 20, 2014

I’m still waiting for season 2!
Please, please don’t stop now!

Stephanie

Posted at 3:53 PM on November 19, 2014

Why, why, why are they canceling this show. Everyone clearly loves it and it’s great having a show that is lighthearted and funny that isn’t rude. They should definitely rethink their decision. I was really hoping to see Billy and Jane in a relationship.

Ana

Posted at 3:16 PM on November 18, 2014

why did they have to cancel it, it was the only show that i started to watch after pretty little liars got annoying :(

lilliana

Posted at 9:17 PM on November 15, 2014

this seriously sucks i was looking forward to the second season and now its cancelled ive alwaays like nick and jane together but i could see she had feelings for billy but also eli :) i wish it would come back :( does she keep working at donavan decker? and does she meet him (donavan decker)?

Eli&Mike

Posted at 2:15 AM on November 11, 2014

Jane by Design was a family night in my house. We would put the kids in their rooms with movies and curl up and watch JBD. All of the projected plots and storylines had me on the edge of my seat just reading them. Hopefully the fandom will help resurrect one of our favorite shows

Jeffka

Posted at 1:20 PM on November 9, 2014

Plz bring Jane by design back it’s one of my favorite shows and I miss it and I wanna see how this thing between billy and Jane is. Plz plz bring it back :-(

JANE

Posted at 10:00 PM on November 8, 2014

WE WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEEE BRING IT BAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK!!

Jane

Posted at 7:16 PM on November 7, 2014

It was a great show. There were a lot of great shows but they got canceled. Pretty Little Liars is a terrible show and should’ve been cancelled a long time ago!

Li Han

Posted at 9:51 AM on November 5, 2014

It’s the best show I have ever seen.
So please bring it back! We all want a second season!!! Plz!!!!!!

Kaith

Posted at 12:27 AM on October 29, 2014

please give the fans a second season. :(

Titjana

Posted at 4:08 PM on October 23, 2014

Also a comment from Denmark – I have just recently become familiar with Jane by Design – and I must say that it took me in! It is very charming and funny and so I would be really happy if season 2 was to come out! – I want to see the story between Jane and Billy through!

Ole

Posted at 11:50 AM on October 22, 2014

Here in Denmark have just sent season 1 for the 2nd time. And I was hoping that was turned in to season 2, but then I ended up here, and it’s depressing reading.
Come on, give us more:-)

tracy

Posted at 2:40 AM on October 10, 2014

PLEASE STILL WAITING FOR SEASON 2! PLEASE BRING IT BACK :(

Joce

Posted at 2:10 AM on September 30, 2014

I would have really loved season 2!! It was one of four of my favorite shows.

Funmi

Posted at 4:05 PM on September 18, 2014

i would have love to see season 2 because i was really waiting for what was going to happen. i really hope that you can change your mind and do season 2

Anna

Posted at 8:07 AM on September 18, 2014

I would probably cry…………plssssssss abc bring back our jane……….billy and jane together would be ‘epic’.how could you people even start what you cannot finish,plsssssssss i keep buying season 1 of jane,i can never get tired of it,i looooove that film soo soo much.

lilly

Posted at 9:29 PM on September 9, 2014

Jane by design is a fun movie I got it from a cd deeler when I was going to the super market I got from 1 to 9 and couldn’t get the rest of it an jane is a verrt tallented girl and she works hard the producers of this movie must be proud plz carry back jane peace out

Saka Rebecca

Posted at 5:56 PM on August 24, 2014

I think i have an idea to bring jane by design back actually i just watch it last year 2013.This is my idea WHY DONT YOU JUST WRITE A BOOK AS IN NOVEL ON JANE BY DESIGN thanks

Delyka ( del - I - ca

Posted at 2:14 AM on August 13, 2014

They really need to bring back this show I’m dying to know what happens with the Jane, billy, and Jeremy triangle they ended with……