‘Jane By Design’ Creator: What Fans Would Have Seen In Season 2

Tue, August 21, 2012 12:48pm EDT by 1,793 Comments
Jane By Design Season 2
Courtesy of ABC Family (3)

Creator April Blair reveals what she had planned for Jane & Billy’s first kiss, Ben & Rita’s race to the altar, and more.

Jane By Design fans were crushed last week when ABC Family announced the show wouldn’t be returning for a second season — I coped with carbs —  but fortunately, creator April Blair was more than happy to give HollywoodLife.com an exclusive breakdown of what we would have seen in season two. And trust me, it would have been awesome.

1. Eli to the rescue: Curious how Jane (Erica Dasher) was going to explain to Gray (Andie MacDowell) and Eli (Bryan Dechart) why she was backstage at a high-school play? “Our idea was that Eli was going to cover for her,” April says. “There were moments in episode 18 where he looked at the costumes crookedly, and throughout the play he pieced it together.”

2. Jane & Billy’s big moment: It sounds like Jane and Billy’s (Nick Roux) shippers would have been very happy with the show’s second season. “For two [finales], we really pulled the rug out from under people,” April admits. “But [in the second season], we wanted to give people that kiss, the moment they both acknowledge they have feelings for each other. We were really excited to do that, and give that to the fans.”

3. Wedding bells for Ben & Rita: April says there was a lot of discussion about Ben’s (David Clayton Rogers) future with Rita (Smith Cho), now that he decided to stay in town: “Do they get engaged? Will Rita become a bit of a bridezilla, obsessed with planning her wedding? We definitely wanted to have Ben propose next season.”

4. Jeremy & India: Things between Jeremy (Rowly Dennis) and India (India de Beaufort) would only become more complicated in season two. “Jeremy would come back and start his own independent label, becoming a competitor for Donovan Decker,” April reveals. “His romance with India would grow, and they would become more serious — but at the same time, they would become professional rivals.”

5. Amanda, please: Amanda Clark (Briga Heelan) may not have found love with Ben, but April says there would definitely have been romance in her future. “We were thinking of maybe having Amanda begin dating Todd [the other teacher originally vying for Rita's attention], and it would become a competitive couple thing. When you’re engaged or dating, you always have a friend that tries to one-up you. So we’d keep Amanda and Rita’s competition alive, but it would be less about Ben, and more about the rivalry between the two women.”

6. Mom’s back: “We were hoping to have [Jane's mom] make a reappearance,” April says. Teri Hatcher was contracted to direct an episode of season two, but actually having her appear as Kate in front of the camera “would really be subject to Teri’s availability.”

How do you feel about Jane ending before its time was really up? Which of these potential story lines would you have loved to see? Drop me a comment with your thoughts! (We can get through this together.)

— Andy Swift

More Jane By Design:

1. ‘Jane By Design’ Canceled By ABC Family
  2. ‘Jane By Design’ Season 2: A New Guy For Jane & More I Want To See
  3. ‘Jane By Design’ Summer Finale: Jane’s Secret Is Finally Exposed

Elly

Posted at 7:37 AM on July 26, 2014

I am so upset about this! i really wanted to see season 2 !!!!!!!! :(

britney

Posted at 8:00 PM on July 23, 2014

I was crushed.when I was in 8th grade (two years ago) I would always look forward to watching it .the show helped my confidence.sad it left,:[

ali leal

Posted at 7:49 AM on July 22, 2014

I would have wanted to see when billy and Jane her together.
I Wonder why they cancelled it :( .
I think its stupid how you start a show that a lot of people like and then at the end of season 1 when it starts to get good you guys what to cancel it

Shiko Munyori

Posted at 12:30 PM on July 21, 2014

Why was it canceled please return it plllllz

joanna grace

Posted at 11:27 AM on July 20, 2014

Two years after this article people are still begging for season 2. Are you listening ABC Family???

Camille Scott

Posted at 7:55 PM on July 19, 2014

It has been a while since jane by design has been cancelled but I still wish they continued it. I really enjoyed coming home and watching it after practice. I wish it was back on

Aimal

Posted at 4:42 PM on July 11, 2014

Bummer. I really, really liked this show. Sure, it’s not the best show out there but it was fun, light and inspirational. PLUS, seeing Jane and Billy together would have made me so happy but we never got to see that </3

quirkscherie

Posted at 9:38 AM on July 7, 2014

PLEASE DO SEASON 2!!! It’s fresh cute breezy and it didn’t have disgusting dramas. We need more series like this. Me love this show more than anything. The acting is great and the plot is exciting but not to much.

Kirsty Hemmings

Posted at 7:37 PM on July 4, 2014

It wasn’t fair. I don’t think this series was given a big enough chance. It should have been given at least two seasons before you decided to cancel it. My friends and I have all decided to stop watching ABC Family all together, this happened far to often with ABC and its honestly ridiculous. I would really like more Jane by Design, even just one more season would be lovely. And I know the ratings would rise as there is so many more people who have watched it and loved it I know this because of tumblr and myself and my personal friends and family, we all love JBD so much and hope to see it back on our tv screens again. I just wanna know how it ends and all the loose ends meet by watching it, not just reading about how it MAY have ended. I hope to see JBD again. With the same cast sometime soon.:) Always hope. Please be a renewal.

Michelle

Posted at 7:28 PM on July 4, 2014

I literally just finished watching this. Not knowing that they had cancelled it back in 2012. I love this show so much, personally I think it is inspiring, cute and just fun to watch. I would so love for them to make, even just one more season. Its never to late for a second season, you know, just to wrap it up and finish that whole tv series of. For all the viewers to find out what happened with Jane and Billy, Jane’s job and the countless other unfinished plot holes that Jane by Design was so kind to leave us with. So I really hope sometime in the really near future, we will all get that second season of Jane by Design that we all wanted. I can dream right?

Sarah

Posted at 10:20 PM on July 1, 2014

Why ABC being cruel to JBD. For God’s sake it reaches 1.3mil viewers per episode! and we can’t wait to know the sequel. The character Jane, she is so real and believes me, she’s really an inspiration for teenagers out there. Its tearing to hear that ABC wouldn’t want to renew JBD because of PLL? Come on! not everybody loves PLL. Well, I don’t! Wait, I have never been so glued to any ABC’s shows ever since Cougar Town and now they canceled JBD. What a loss!

nga

Posted at 3:16 PM on July 1, 2014

PLEASE ! PLEASE ! PLEASE ! Get the show back on…..

Rothzee

Posted at 2:48 AM on June 30, 2014

I was shock when I heard that ABC Family did not order the second season of JBD. I am one of heart-broken fans. JBD was so alive and fresh … watching it made feel I had to pursue my dream which I real did. She inspired people. ABC family should re-consider bringing it back.

ashley

Posted at 1:19 PM on June 27, 2014

I wanted to see season 2 . Its was a good show one of the best . ABC family needs to air it again . And skip the other shows! Jane by design was the perfect show for teenagers .

schurrle

Posted at 6:37 AM on June 27, 2014

hello.. I think ABC family needs to get the show back on. Common, make for season 2.. Season 1 seems not to end well as there are still some spaces to be filled. Please, make amendments!. We need season 2. Nice film though.

Jalene

Posted at 9:28 PM on June 22, 2014

So I watched jane by design again and realizes how much fun it would’ve have been for season 2. :( put the show back on please!!!!!

faith

Posted at 2:49 PM on June 10, 2014

Why would ABC Family put one of their best shows out of business I was really looking forward to Jane and Billy’s love. They have been friends since forever and you could tell that Billy really liked her. I was so ready for season 2 to come I couldn’t wait to see how much the characters changed or what would happen when Jermey returned. Jane by Design was one ABC Family most loved shows. They need to put it back on now.!!!!!!

Jada

Posted at 4:39 PM on June 9, 2014

I wanted to see Season 2, because the love that Jane and Billy showed for each other throughout the entire 1st season was Magic. You can’t really find shows that suit the teenage mind so clearly and I say that Jane by design was pretty close. It’s given outsiders hope and chance to feel like they’re not the only ones. You can be different you just have to embrace it or find that crowd of people that can accept you.