Demi Lovato Reveals Why She Tried Cocaine: I Was Depressed'

Sun, April 22, 2012 4:46pm EST by 30 Comments
Demi Lovato Interview

Demi has come so far since her stint in rehab for drug abuse and other self-harming behaviors, and now she’s revealing the REAL reason for her downward spiral.

Demi Lovato, 19, admits peer pressure and loneliness contributed to her experimenting with drugs in 2010.

The Unbroken singer hesitated to talk about the details of her cocaine use in a new interview with Fabulous magazine, but did reveal what led her down that road.

“It’s something I don’t really want to talk about,” she tells the magazine. “What I can say is that I was depressed. I would come off stage in front of 18,000 people and suddenly be alone in a hotel room. I’d come crashing down and would try to find a way to recreate that feeling, to stay ‘up’.”

Demi also said the fact that drugs were always at her fingertips didn’t make saying “no” very easy.

“Promoters gave me drugs and alcohol in restaurants or clubs,” she says. “They wanted me to come back so I would be seen there. They were basically kissing my ass.”

While Demi admits in the interview that going to rehab in 2010 “wasn’t my idea,” she says she “didn’t fight it” and is obviously grateful she didn’t end up like so many other young stars who get into drugs.

“Being a celebrity can be dangerous,” she says. “Nobody says ‘no’. That’s why so many end up overdosing and dying. It could definitely have happened to me.”

What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Is Demi setting a good example by talking about her drug use?

– Kaydi Poirier

More Demi Lovato

1. Demi Lovato Shows Off Her Sexy Bikini Body — New Pic
  2. Demi Lovato Attacked By Fans In Venezuela — So Scary
  3. Demi Lovato: I’m NEVER Dating Joe Jonas Again

Katie

Posted at 2:50 AM on November 22, 2013

Demi went through a mental illness it’s not exactly her fault at least she’s strong enough to admit all this she’s the strongest person I know!! She’s my idol she’s the person I look up to in life and now she’s a warrior, we all are, she’s getting through a lot of stuff so tbh we can all be at least grateful that we still have our demi lovato, singer, actress, role model to millions still alive and with us to this very day okay, most of you’s sound so ungrateful, knowing that demi could have took her own life is one of the most horrible things I think about, she’s perfect to me and has helped ME through everything so I think you’s need to show some respect!

sam

Posted at 1:58 PM on February 2, 2013

demi is the most amazing person on this planet. all she is trying to do is make people aware of her issues because alot of teenagers, including me, have been through the exact same situations. she is trying to tell us that it is ok to seek help. she is someone that i and many other young girls look up to. when people are depressed they do dangerous and stupid things like drugs for instance. i can attest to that. so i think it is great that she came out and talked about her drug use. she is clean now and she is happy and thats all that matters. Demi i love you. stay strong <3

samone Engelbrecht

Posted at 8:45 AM on May 22, 2012

I am very dissipointed in what i have heard and seen about Demi Levato .She was my star i looked up to her she is the reason why i started to show the world who the real me is now I’m deeply hurt well I’m very very hurt and all I wanted is for her to stop wht she’s doing and play in So Random and show Taunny who’s boss. Ilove you so mutch get well soon

lovatic

Posted at 10:34 AM on June 6, 2012

you sound so selfish. demi is doing what makes her happy, and if you are too selfish to respect that, then you need to move on

Dd

Posted at 12:36 PM on April 24, 2012

do u really think tht she actually want to talk abt what made her suffer?? U know how annoying reporters can be? I watched so many movie where the paparazzi just keep on following ppl trying to get the truth and mix it up with lies for something tht can make them look bad… I dnt xsonally think tht she just goes and talk abt it..

natalie

Posted at 9:30 PM on April 22, 2012

i truely feel for demi and wish her a full clean happy life but im getting really tired of reading these kinds of stories. Or more like she continues to talk to reporters about her issues. I understand that she is struggling and everything but try to keep some private stuff private. I just want her to get well. She need to talk to people like her family, doctor, not the press.

dumas1000

Posted at 7:35 PM on April 22, 2012

Kiefer Sutherland has committed 5 DUIs. Richie Sambora committed a DUI with a child in his car, Fred Durst attempted to run someone over in his car, Charlie Sheen shot his girlfriend, both Brandy Norwood and Rebecca Gayheart have killed people. That’s juat the tip of the iceburg. And i think Demi has shown more contrition then all of those other people combined. Demi is trying, however, to maintain a positive message because it is important for her recovery. It would not be a good idea for Demi as a lifelong depressive to beat herself up In interviews until she reaches your standard of penance.

dumas1000

Posted at 7:16 PM on April 22, 2012

As far as people wanting to hold Demi’s feet to the fire and flog her for past transgressions, she has cleaned up her act. What she did was not good, but there are a lot of people in Hollywood who have done far worse. And she did apologize. Sometimes people hear only what they want to hear. And she did settle the case with that dancer, and I’m sure their agreement limits what people are allowed to say publically about said incident. A lot of this boils down to that age old Hollywood societal double standard of men getting way with a lot more and women being srutinized for a lot less. Charlie Sheen, for example, never apologized for shooting his girlfriend. Nor did Sheen, in the decades since then, ever really straighten himself out. The entertainment industry is full of people gaining second chances with track records far worse then Demi. Was Demi Lovato ever on trial for murder? No. Was Snoop Dogg on trial for murder? Yeah.

dumas1000

Posted at 6:57 PM on April 22, 2012

Undiagnosed, untreated bipolar people self medicate. They do it all the time and in exceptionally high numbers. Mentally ill people, people who suffer from genetic mental illness, if not properly medicated, compensate by improperly medicating themselves. The same thing happened to Britney Spears, and countless others. It’s called a duel diagnosis. For someone to say they are depressed and don’t or haven’t self medicated, are you clinically, or genetically depressed? A lot of people refer to themselves as being depressed, but only as a figure of speech. Most people are not literally depressed. If you were, and not being treated, chances are you would use something, even if it was just alcohol. If you’ve never encountered true mental illness, you have no idea what you are talking about.

google

Posted at 6:57 PM on April 22, 2012

people keep saying, why does she keep talking about her issues, its the interviewers that keep asking her about them; she probably has moved on but interviewers keep asking her about her past.

umm

Posted at 6:51 PM on April 22, 2012

here’s my issue with deem lovato. her handlers are trying to spin this whole. “vie been bullied there for i did drugs and self harm. while that be partially true, and she did seek treatments. she’s never owned up to her being a bully herself. she straight up punched her dancer in the face!

Mattie

Posted at 8:53 PM on April 22, 2012

She has admitted that she wasn’t the nicest person. Many times. The whole point of her talking about what she has done is to help others. No one wants all their dirty laundry out for everyone to see. I doubt that she’s saying this because she wants sympathy because she probably knows that she can lose fans by saying it. She’s apologized for her mistakes-including hitting Alex(the dancer).
PS. Its Demi Lovato.

kat

Posted at 6:15 PM on April 22, 2012

Demi… you’re annoying. The MTV documentary might’ve been a little “aw poor girl” moment for you. But, you keep going and going it’s like you’re showing off. Get over yourself.

James

Posted at 12:17 AM on April 23, 2012

of course she is showing off you idiot. She’s a celebrity. This is for EXPOSURE. HAve you NOT learned anything about how hollywood works? No of course not, like 90 percent of the retards reading this BS, you’re an idiot. Please for the love of god kill yourself. Pretty please? We really don’t need to waste govt funds on an idiot like you.

Anon

Posted at 7:52 AM on April 23, 2012

That was a bit harsh, I don’t see how you can call her an ‘idiot’ for that comment . . . .

jj989

Posted at 6:12 PM on April 22, 2012

Everyone has different ways for coping with stress and depression and just because someone’s depressed and they don’t do drugs doesn’t mean someone’s not snorting something or cutting right now. It was her way of healing, and I’m sure she wasn’t surrounded by nice people everywhere she went. She was ill and she needed help and she had the courage to let people help her, sometimes there IS no other way to cope, that doesn’t make them ANY less of a person. Don’t judge. It may not make sense to you but like I said everyone has different ways of coping. I’m so glad she’s healthier and happier now, I admire her so much and I’ve been in most if not all the same situations she was in and she’s helped me find a way to get better, I love her so much and wish her all the best that I can down the road. Love you Demi <3

Amy

Posted at 5:52 PM on April 22, 2012

OK, There is honestly no excuse for taking drugs. I hate it when people say because they are “depressed” or there life is a “mess”. You have the choice of picking up that drug or saying no, not your life mistakes. When it comes to the time that someone hands you a drug your going to look at it and say, “Well my mother beat me when I was 5 so now I am going to do drugs.” It doesn’t even make sense. If you are depressed why can’t you do things that keep your mind of it, like going to the mall, playing games…ect. Drugs aren’t the only things that make you high. There is a drug high and happy high. I choose the happy high. When I am with friends and having so much fun I feel high, but it’s a good high. There is not excuse for doing drugs, so stop making excuses.
I am really happy that Demi had the guts to actually admit to it.

James

Posted at 6:04 PM on April 22, 2012

First off, you’re an idiot. You have no idea what you are talking about. What you say as “Excuses” are actually SYMPTOMS. Drug taking is not an “Excuse”( Dont know why you should care since it has nothing to do with you, Only an idiot would use this argument) its a symptom of her depression, Mor or less the drug ABUSE is a symptom. Here is a pro tip. DRUGS do not addict. PEOPLE addict them selves to drugs. However as far as you go with a “Happy high” You are aware that there are people out there who can get addicted to anything right? Not JUST drugs or anything like but to food, to anything that can GIVE them a high even a happy high. So no drugs are the only things that make you high. However you can still can get addicted to anything. Your mentally inept mindset really shows in this post. Also you are aware that people can TAKE substances like beer and what not and still get addicted to that right? Last I check beer is legal. So yeah its not the SUBSTANCE or actions that addict. Its the person. Get an education kid.

Tatiana

Posted at 8:22 PM on April 22, 2012

So, you think that you should drugs to get over your life mistakes. Honestly, instead of bashing her you should look more depth into it. I think what she is trying to say is that drugs do not fix a problem they only make it worse. You are really judgmental. Get a life “grownup”.

Emmy

Posted at 11:43 PM on April 22, 2012

Ya’ll need to get lives and education. Calling each other names “idiot” and “grownup”…makes you all seem really childish.

That’s my two cents. EMMY OUT! :P :)

James

Posted at 12:15 AM on April 23, 2012

YEah thats exactly what I said. I think you should drugs to get over your life mistakes. Totally you hit the nail on the head with this well versed post of yours. I said her drug ABUSE and her ADDICTIONS were a symptoms of her issues. No duh drug addiction doesn’t fix a problem. However that doesn’t mean that its what was causing it. You know NOTHING about addiction do you?

Anon

Posted at 7:35 AM on April 23, 2012

True, it’s something in a persons mind that causes them to become addicted (apart from things that cause a physical dependence, but still to become physically addicted to say alcohol you have to have been drinking like a fish regularly for a good period before hand – in other words you’d probably have been mentally addicted for a good while before it got to that stage)
Limitless amounts of money to buy the stuff and always being offered it probably plays as much a part as anything else i’m guessing. Perhaps alot of celebs take it to help them cope with working long hours too, but I think too much money and too much access might be the main reason for it becoming a full blown ‘addiction’. . . . ;)

Lily

Posted at 7:04 PM on April 22, 2012

Because if you’re depresed you are kind of ruined inside, and because of that, you may not be able ti have a real social life, and to fill the social less hole, you selfmedicate.

Anon

Posted at 7:40 AM on April 23, 2012

True . . . .
But the always having money and always being offered it must be a huge factor aswell . . . . ;)

Judas

Posted at 5:31 PM on April 22, 2012

“I’m depressed right now. I’m not snorting cocaine.”

Good for you. Unfortunately, she suffers from a mental illness where she isn’t just ‘depressed’ because something bad happened, but rather because the illness causes her to be depressed unless she is under medication. It’s not a temporary thing, she’s going to have to deal with taking pills and being depressed for the rest of her life. Shut the fuck up & learn you facts.

I’m not justifying what she did was in the right- au contraire, I think that it was a very, very bad decision. I do think, however, that she did it under the influence of her illness. No, I don’t think that if you have an illness you should blame your actions for it, but considering that it’s out of your control to contain that illness, I do think she did it to get away from everything. I’m proud that she openly admits to doing drugs & alcohol, because that means she’s on the right track and knows what’s right from wrong.

In any case, I prefer for a celebrity to admit to her mistakes and recognizing it’s wrong then not making any mistakes at all and further enforcing the image of ‘perfection’ our children want to be.

lexi

Posted at 5:16 PM on April 22, 2012

i think it is a good thing because she is not hiding it, she is being real and saying she has made alot of mistake and her fans can learn from it, doing drugs is not good, but most teenagers go through that phase and then they grow up and look back and regret it, so good for demi for being real and honest because it can help alot of people

Alexis

Posted at 5:16 PM on April 22, 2012

I’m depressed right now. I’m not snorting cocaine.

Jensen

Posted at 10:40 AM on August 27, 2013

Okay, wow congrats. I was clinically depression and im not snorting cocaine. But you know what I was doing, what i was addicted to? Self-Harm. Not a day went by that i didn’t cut/burn myself. It got to a point were i just did it because i liked it. Because it was my lethal addiction. I am in counseling, i have a therapist and psychiatrist the whole 9 yards. I’m getting help but i don’t think my hunger to hurt will ever go away. Just like Augustus Waters said in the amazing book “The Fault in our Stars”
“Pain demands to be felt” So no you may not have done coke but i can sure as hell guess that you have a little secret addiction to something else. Something just as dangerous.

WTF

Posted at 5:14 PM on April 22, 2012

Demi does coke (ILLEGAL) and HL pretty much ignores is, by which i mean they dont bash her…. Miley smokes a LEGAL drug and HL calls her a bad role model and a bad person

thats F**KED up

James

Posted at 5:58 PM on April 22, 2012

Miley Also parks in illegal handi cap spaces and commits hit and run accidents. last I check those were not legal.