Devastated Madonna Badger Attempts Suicide After Tragic Fire Killed Her Daughters

Thu, January 26, 2012 10:39am EDT by 20 Comments
Madonna Badger Suicide

Madonna lost her three young daughters and parents in a horrific Christmas Day fire, and now the distraught mom has tried to take her own life and was hospitalized last week.

Heartbroken Madonna Badger suffered every mother’s worst nightmare when her three girls — Lily, 9, and twins Grace and Sarah, 7 — perished in a deadly blaze. Overcome by the extreme emotional pain, she tried to injure herself and was hospitalized, according to NY Daily News. “She is okay… She is out (of the hospital) and somewhere safe,” a relative said. “It’s just terrible — nobody could really hold up well under the circumstances.”

The relative said she wasn’t surprised at the suicide attempt.

“She seemed to be coping better at the funeral, better than I ever could,” she revealed. “But once all of that is gone and you’re left to face what’s happened, it’s terrible.”

Family and friends who attended the funeral remarked how brave the grief-stricken mother was during her 20-minute eulogy. “This is going to be really hard,” she admitted. “Lily, Gracie and Sarah are not here with us today, and they won’t be here tomorrow… but my little girls are not gone from us entirely.”

Madonna said her girls were what gave her strength to stand before the sobbing crowd. “I want you to remember my girls out loud, to fight for them never to be forgotten,” she explained. “This is why I can stand before you today.”

But the funeral is over, and Madonna is forced to face the aftermath of the devastating fire. Now her boyfriend, contractor Michael Borcina, is facing possible criminal charges for his role overseeing the renovation of the $1.7 million home that burned down, according to The Daily Mail. Did the stress of talking to investigators push Madonna over the edge?

Officials are determining if there were working fire alarms in the home. Madonna was interviewed last week — the same week she was hospitalized.

Hopefully Madonna can find strength in her family and friends. Relatives said she’s “now in a safe place surrounded by family and longtime friends” following her hospital stay.

So, so sad! Our hearts go out to Madonna and her family, and our thoughts are with her during this emotional time.

Read Doctor’s Advice For How Madonna Badger Can Recover

More Madonna Badger:

1. Madonna Badger Desperately Battled Firefighters To Get Back Into Burning House To Save Babies
  2. Madonna Badger’s Heartbreaking Eulogy: ‘My Girls Are In My Heart’
  3. Hundreds Attend The Funeral For Madonna Badgers’ Daughters Who Died In Tragic Christmas Fire

melissa ronda

Posted at 7:06 AM on January 30, 2012

i cried when i read this article.i will pray for your healing.God is good he will never leave you.

lozzie1921

Posted at 2:05 AM on January 27, 2012

This is so sad. A similar fire happened in Australia on Christmas day. Celebrity chef Matt Golinski’s 3 daughters and wife perished in a house fire and Matt survived. What is also similar with this story is that two of the girls were twins. My heart goes out to the parents who now are faced with a life without their families.

SoVeryTragic

Posted at 10:59 PM on January 26, 2012

I would recommend that Matthew and Madonna both listen to Dr. Victor Frankl three part interview on Youtube. He survived Nazi death camps….and went on to help a lot of people with his very wise POV.

You WILL meet your darling girls again….but for now do whatever is needed to be healed enough to act in their honor.

My heart goes out to you, and my prayers and love. So unbelievable tragic…the whole thing.

Kareninnj

Posted at 8:50 PM on January 26, 2012

My heartfelt prayers to Madonna and Matthew. Personally I don’t find fault with anyone. No one ever in a million years intended for this to happen, there was nothing malicious here. It was an accident, a devastating tragedy. I hope that someday FOR their girls, they can find the strength to go on, and Madonna for her parents as well. I am sure this is what they want for her. These people need our prayers, nothing more. Nothing less.

rhoda

Posted at 6:46 PM on January 26, 2012

The dad, Mathew Badger, should be supported too!

There is a new Facebook page called “Friends Who Love Matt” where people can leave him messages.
I can not imagine his grief and feelings right now.
We should be praying for him as well.

Portia Lucombe

Posted at 6:32 PM on January 26, 2012

Dear Mom! I’m so proud of u, It’s only natural to feel what u feeling after the fact,After it was all over yes the pain is a bit much to bear, I have a son and when he hurts, so do i . I can’t imagine how madonna feel everytime she open her eyes in the morning , Her kids are gone her parents are gone, God knows how she may feel about that boyfriend, The biggest mistake in her life, Can’t take it back. My heart goes out to u girl. Madonna need lots of friends and family right now. As for dad he’s just that kind of guy who is grieving very quietly, Mr Madger hold on, god is good, The trust will be reveal. pray god’ is in charge,

Just saying

Posted at 6:23 PM on January 26, 2012

New boyfriend left hot ambers inside the house…….. Who does that? Boyfriend has out standing law suits. Some investigating should take place … Good for you dad for hiring a private investigator

Investigations

Posted at 2:07 PM on January 28, 2012

Great insight. Even a child knows not to put a bag of hot cinders in the hallway of the house…even for Santa.
Just as predictible as a fire starting Christmas morning, was the emotional breakdown of the unexpected survivor and sole heir of every insurance policy.
Gee, now who will sweep her off her feet in her most vulnerable state? Will her gold digger youngster boyfriend now whisper plans of marriage and the possibility of future children? Or will it be her Mr comfortable the estranged deranged legal holder of every other thing husband? It’s as predictable as a soap opera. Pity she isn’t one for reading the papers and knew better than to shack up with her boyfriend until all the legalitys are settled in court since all propertys would go to Matt if she was ever killed; unexpectedly. Unanswered questions still remain since they destroyed all the evidence when they demolished the house! Now, we may never know the real truth until it’s revealed on judgment day. Hopefuly she gets a divorce, moves far away and stays away from both these men.

Michelle

Posted at 7:45 PM on February 11, 2012

New boyfriend left hot ambers inside the house…….. Who does that?

Lots of people apparently. Google it. It is one of the leading causes of house fires. Now go back to CSI on TV and leave the investigations to the real professionals.

Idiots.

Linda Smith

Posted at 4:56 PM on January 26, 2012

My prayers go out to the entire family. Know that time heals all wounds. It takes time. I can only imagine your pain. Know that your girls love you in spirit and will be with you always. Grace and peace.

illey

Posted at 3:04 PM on January 26, 2012

This is so very heartbreaking. I can’t even imagine the pain and devastation she must be feeling.

instamford

Posted at 1:06 PM on January 26, 2012

The mother and the boyfriend were in the front of the house and escaped on to the roof of the covered wrap-around porch. The mother then climbed scaffolding, in place for the renovations, to the third floor where the twins were asleep. The boyfriend reentered the house and attempted to get the twins from the third floor and Lily from another bedroom. The fire department arrived and forcibly removed the mother as she attempted to climb into the third floor window. The boyfriend barely escaped back onto the roof where the fire department took him down. The mother tried to escape from the firemen until she was taken away in an ambulance.

The father of the girls’, Matthew Badger, lives in Manhattan. The parents had been separated for nearly 3 years and were in the process of divorcing at the time of the fire. He was by all accounts a wonderful dad.

gbtw

Posted at 3:15 PM on January 26, 2012

as a mom, i don’t know how i would live if i lost a child- much less all of them. i also don’t know how i’d ever forgive the firemen that saved my life. i know they’re not at fault, and i know they saved her life, but i would’ve wanted to save my children or die trying. this whole thing is just atrocious and i don’t know how a human being could survive in the world after it. i really don’t. i don’t know that i’d actively commit suicide, but how could you even sit at a table and eat- or walk out your front door- anything, after this. the only thing that might snap me out of something like this would be knowing that someone needed me, and even that would be difficult… the people that needed her are gone. awful. awful. awful. i pray for her and the ones around her to find a way to make her pain tolerable.

hotmomma

Posted at 12:34 PM on January 26, 2012

just wondering….the woman lost her three children and her parents in a devastating fire and all you can ask is where is the children’s father..please this woman will never be the same again as long as she lives..prayers are what is needed for her, not stupid questions like that.

John

Posted at 2:48 PM on June 23, 2012

And pryaers will do what for her?

Just Wondering

Posted at 12:14 PM on January 26, 2012

I have two questions, how did the mom and boyfriend manage to get out of the house? As a mom, I can tell you I would NEVER leave a burning house with my children still inside. Also, where is the father of these children? I haven’t seen him mentioned in any press reports.

kimber

Posted at 1:38 PM on January 26, 2012

stop trying to find blame. you really dont know what you would do…you have obviously never taken that test.

TJ Tom

Posted at 4:14 PM on January 26, 2012

Two answers Just Wondering. The Father lives 40 minutes away in Manhattan, not far from where the Mother and three children lived last year. He has been mentioned in most reports. He was at the hospital shortly after the fire and can be seen with Madonna Badger at the funeral. Your research skills are very poor, at best. Second, to even imply that the actions of the Mother during the fire and her attempt to rescue her children were less than heroic, or not to your standards, is deplorable. For someone in your position to question her actions is low. As a Father of two, I like to think that I could save my kids from any dangers, but the reality is that Super Mom or Super Dad cannot overcome 1000 degree heat and toxic gases. try this, Just Wondering. Turn your shower on as hot is can get, then stand under it. Now imagine that being three times hotter. It is not a question of love, dedication, or heroics. Shame on you.

mom2

Posted at 10:13 AM on January 27, 2012

I agree T J Tom 100 percent. I am a mother of 2 and can’t imagine going through this. My heart goes out to Matthew and Madonna. If you can make it through one day at a time Madonna you will be a great strength to others experiencing grief. Your daughter’s friends can maybe help you through this. I can’t imagine and others should not doubt for a second what she tried to do or went through.

GL