'One Tree Hill' Season Premiere Recap: Old Friends (And Enemies) Return

Wed, January 11, 2012 9:51pm EDT by 22 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

Sex, corpses, and endless emotional montages — Tree Hill hasn’t changed one bit!

One Tree Hill returned for its ninth and final season Jan. 11, and it was all sunshine and rainbows from start to finish — well, as long as you don’t count the arson, vandalism, arrests, assaults and dead bodies. I almost forgot about those.

The big drama, at least immediately, came from Haley (Bethany Joy Galeotti) and Nathan (James Lafferty), who are carrying on a long-distance romance while he’s on the road. Fortunately, Haley has someone to keep her company — and I’m not talking about Jamie (Jackson Brundage.) That’s right, Dan Scott (Paul Johansson) made his long-awaited return to Tree Hill, and he’s shacking up at Chez Scott. What could possibly go wrong there?

Meanwhile, Brooke (Sophia Bush) and Julian (Austin Nichols) were waist-deep in cuteness — but hey, what else is new? Besides juggling their respective careers, they also had to deal with 2 a.m. wake-up calls from the twins. On top of that, Brooke’s dad (Richard Burgi) finally decided to show up, which should make things interesting for Victoria (Daphne Zuniga.) Based on their scene together tonight, it was clear they had a less-than-amicable divorce… which means I give them two more episodes before they’re doing the nasty.

But the Bakers weren’t the only ones with issues this week. Clay (Robert Buckley) has somehow started sleepwalking, while Quinn (Shantel VanSanten) appears to have turned into a raging insomniac. An insomniac who also has an obsession with Angry Birds. But while things might seem calm with the couple now, their little flash-forward at the beginning of the episode revealed there’s some serious drama coming their way. What could Quinn possibly do to Clay in the future that would cause him to kick her out of the house?

And in case you were wondering how Chris Keller (Tyler Hilton) was going to mosey back into Tree Hill, it should come as no surprise that he did it by lying. He used the oh-so-clever pseudonym “Harry Johnson” to score the job of running Red Bedroom Records, and much to Haley’s dismay, he’s here to stay!

Equally unhappy about Chris’ arrival was Alex (Jana Kramer), who was understandably pissed when he called her song “crappy.” And I really felt bad for her when she had to drown her sorrows in bed with Chase (Stephen Colletti.) Poor, poor girl. And speaking of Chase, didn’t Mark Schwahn say something about “tighty whities” being in this episode? I know briefs when I see ‘em, and those were definitely boxers. Anybody else feel cheated?

This may not have been the most exciting episode of One Tree Hill to date, but it definitely set up some interesting scenarios I’m looking forward to seeing play out over the remaining 12 episodes.

What did YOU think of the ninth — and tragically final — season premiere? Do you think Clay and Quinn will really break up? And who could possibly be the corpse Haley identified in the flash-forward? Hit up the comments section with your every thought!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more One Tree Hill updates

shares

Posted at 9:34 PM on May 7, 2012

Valuable info. Fortunate me I discovered your web site accidentally, and I’m surprised why this coincidence did not took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

pocketbike

Posted at 6:09 PM on May 3, 2012

Tremendous issues here. I am very glad to peer your post. Thanks so much and I am having a look forward to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

Poetry

Posted at 11:03 AM on May 2, 2012

I am not certain the place you are getting your info, but good topic. I must spend a while learning more or figuring out more. Thank you for great info I used to be searching for this info for my mission.

Tabitha

Posted at 10:21 PM on January 26, 2012

So last nights show was simply mind blowing. In regards to who dies I think its going to be Quin. The body on the table seemed to be a large body and it would make sense that Haley would be the one to identify her. I also think that maybe Clay is the one that kills her in one of his fits of rage. All very sad…

stacey

Posted at 1:53 PM on January 17, 2012

What are the names of the twins? I think one is Davis?

Bree

Posted at 4:50 PM on January 14, 2012

I am fairly confident that Nathan dies. (Not that I want to see any less of James Lafferty… yum.) However, I read a legit spoiler that Nathan will not be in this season very much. On the other hand, this season will heavily surround Nathan’s character. Also, Lucas doesn’t come back until episode seven, in order to console Haley during an extremely difficult time in her life. (Wouldn’t Nathan’s death be the perfect reason for Lucas to come back? Haley is his best friend. His brother’s death would definitely send him back home.) With Deb also returning… Nathan’s death just fits.

Jess

Posted at 1:46 AM on January 19, 2012

I think it’s Jamie who dies. That kid is always in some way hurt in the seasons.

Rachel

Posted at 4:52 PM on January 20, 2012

I am less confident that nathan dies. He goes on a tour thing for fotatude, and gets kidnapped. While dan and Haley look for them. I personaly think that Dan dies to save nathan from his kidnapper. Because killing Nathan would oower their rates. THAT fits…

Telie

Posted at 8:24 AM on January 13, 2012

I know this may sound mean but I hope it’s Lucas under the sheet and not Nathan… Ok I hope it’s just about anyone besides Nathan at this point. Besides her sister those are the only 2 people I can think that would make her react that way. Really good start to the last season I really hope when it finally ends they leave me satisfied and not wondering what could have been like so many other series.

amanda

Posted at 10:59 PM on January 12, 2012

Chase was in the tightie whities in the scene where he is sitting on the edge of the bed waiting for Alex and she isn’t in a good mood and he says “should I put my pants on”

Adam

Posted at 9:39 AM on January 12, 2012

The building burning was Dan’s diner. That’s why he’s staying at Nathan’s…it was his business and lived in the back

Victoria

Posted at 12:37 AM on January 12, 2012

Can’t wait to watch the premiere! But from what I’ve been thinking, I think it should be really obvious that Dan Scott finally dies… He makes amends with everyone while staying with Hayley, (mainly repairing his relationship with Nathan) and I don’t know who or how, but at last, when everything seems to seem perfect, BAM! They won’t ever kill off Nathan or Hayley, fans will have an absolute riot! Brooke has had too many bad things happen to her, so it won’t be her or Julian (if they kill him off…. there will be justice to pay!), and everyone else is exempt for their various excuses… come to think of it, the dead body might be Chris Keller? Since Hayley was identifying it and she would know him the best out of everyone…

Telie

Posted at 8:31 AM on January 13, 2012

I don’t think It’s either of those two because at the flash backs Dan and Keller are out for blood. Dan as of lately has only been that way when protecting his family. Plus Lucas is coming back so it could be him possibly or I hate to say it Nathan. I truly hope it isn’t but if you remember Dawsons Creek ( might be before your time) their final episode had us in tears saying goodbye to a main character they killed off.

Liv

Posted at 12:18 AM on January 12, 2012

OMG OMG OMG. I wasn’t even that excited about yet another season of OTH, but after watching it tonight… I was on the tip of my toes throughout the whole thing! Do you think it could’ve been Nathan? I mean, who else would make Haley cry like that? Or maybe that’s just what they want us to think.. didn’t the producers say they wanted someone to die? It has to be one of the main characters; what about Lucas coming back?! Ah! All I can say now is I’m busy on Wednesdays from now on…

Heath

Posted at 12:03 AM on January 12, 2012

Who does everyone think was at Haley’s door after she went back and locked it!?!???

Pam

Posted at 10:40 PM on January 11, 2012

Idk what show you were watching, but hose were definitely tighter whities!

Pam

Posted at 10:42 PM on January 11, 2012

Ack, *tightie whities..damn autocorrect!!

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:47 PM on January 11, 2012

How did I miss that? I guess I’ll be re-watching online tomorrow… lol

casey

Posted at 10:05 PM on January 11, 2012

Wow!!!! I’m confused but excited. I just want to see
more. Why was clay acting like that? Who beats up julian?? And who the eff died??

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:06 PM on January 11, 2012

I wish I had the answer to ANY of those questions for you :(

holly

Posted at 8:37 AM on January 12, 2012

SPOLIERS*******************************************

The person beating up julian is the guy who attacked Brooke at clothes over bros (Sam’s friends brother)
(read online somewhere that he is back from prison)

Nathan is apparently getting kidnapped? read that online too
I wonder what dan and chris were doing together in the car? and was the building that was burning nathan and haleys house?

Telie

Posted at 8:33 AM on January 13, 2012

I think it was Dan’s Diner place looks like he might of torched it