Selena Gomez Admits: Demi Lovato Has More Courage Than I Do

Wed, January 4, 2012 7:40pm EST by 54 Comments
Selena Gomez Demi Lovato

Selena Gomez wrote a heartfelt note to her BFF Demi Lovato that was read out loud at Demi’s ‘Seventeen’ magazine cover luncheon in Hollywood Jan. 4

Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato have been best friends since they were seven years old and auditioning for Barney in Texas. Now, nearly a decade later, the girls have been through their ups and downs, but remain close. In fact, Selena even wrote a revealing note dedicated to her friend, which was read to everyone at Demi’s luncheon celebration for her February Seventeen magazine cover.

Here is what the 19-year-old former Disney starlet said:

Demi, first I want to say that I am sorry that I cant be here with you today, but I just want to say first how proud I am of you. Knowing you since we were seven and watching you become the person you are is truly amazing.

I was there when you sang in front of 10 people knowing all of the words to your songs and I was there when you sang in front of 14,000 people, still knowing all of your songs. You have something that you know has been hard for me to have at times. You have courage — courage to want to change to be better for yourself.

The amount of respect that I have for you is indescribable. You have gone through one of the hardest chapters in your life and I praise you for wanting to share that journey and walk away from it all as a better person. Thank you for trusting me and wanting me there during that hard time. I hope you know how much I love you and how proud I am of the role model that you have become.

Last year, Demi was admitted into rehab for emotional and physical issues and has said Selena was one of the only people who stood by her side, supporting her. Are you surprised Selena admitted Demi is more courageous than she is? Do you think they’ll be friends forever after going through this?

Loading video...

More Demi:

1. Miley Cyrus & Demi Lovato’s Funny Twitter Prank Revealed
  2. Do You Like Demi Lovato’s ‘New Look’?
  3. Katy Perry, Demi Lovato & More: See Who Wore Wacky Nails This Week

#OhHellYeah

Posted at 3:13 PM on May 17, 2012

oh hell yeah they’ll be friends and they still are but not so close like before I guess demi is a strong women with a voice, body and heart she is beautiful in every way I love selena too but demi won my heart so I like demi better

paula

Posted at 5:36 PM on April 24, 2012

hello I want to say I’m selena and demi fans three years ago and I think it’s very nice friendship, there are some people who criticize this pretty good friendship is good what I say that I am giving a council

isabel

Posted at 6:30 PM on April 23, 2012

i like selena and demi
they rock as best friends :)

Abigail

Posted at 2:11 PM on April 20, 2012

i think that selena gomez and Demi lovato they well be friend forever they are too girls strongs

summer

Posted at 6:59 AM on April 15, 2012

it’s nice that they’re still friends, but it’s kinda sad that they’ll never be like they used to. i guess they just grew apart.

April

Posted at 9:04 AM on March 27, 2012

Ofcourse they’re going to be friends forever.
I know all of you (who comment here) loves Demi alone or Selena
alone. But I say that we should support both of them. They are special. It is hard to see 2 people work together for 12 years ! I know I have a special friend too ! But Demi and Selena is too special to describe using words… I’m a Lovatic, but also a Selenator… I support both of them.. And I’m happy that I’m a Delenator… :D

April

Posted at 7:49 AM on March 27, 2012

Ofcourse they’re going to be friends forever.
I know all of you (who comment here) loves Demi alone or Selena
alone. But I say that we should support both of them. They are special. It is hard to see 2 people work together for 12 years ! I know I have a special friend too ! But Demi and Selena is too special to describe using words… I’m a Lovatic, but also a Selenator… I support both of them.. And I’m happy that I’m a Delenator… :)

Jaella4u

Posted at 6:32 PM on March 12, 2012

Ofcourse they will forever be friends. I just don’t get why selena is getting more attention than demi. Demi is also beautiful and with very nice curves and way much better voice, her smile is so genuine. I don’t get it, selena just has the face and acting skills i don’t see anything else….maybe justin bieber!

alex

Posted at 11:03 AM on February 17, 2012

Selena gomez is beter than demi Ilove her very much.

isabel

Posted at 6:32 PM on April 23, 2012

i think i like them both the same becaus ethey are friends :)

Katherine

Posted at 1:09 PM on January 6, 2012

Very nice gesture but more than that, its inspiring. We are never alone even if we think we are. Just my opinion.

Leo

Posted at 1:20 PM on January 5, 2012

Compared to Selena, Demi clearly shows her Italian heritage, with those legs. Note to the bmi challenged, get a publicist that puts you in clothing that compliments you, not clothing to satisfy what they think is sexy!

pifi

Posted at 8:45 AM on January 5, 2012

People dont be fooled for what you reading in this website because they are so bias and makes selena looks always good and never do bad stuffs.do you know why selena and demi stop talking before?ask hollywood life why?everbody can write good things to make them look good and hide their weakness so i dont buy this at all.peace..its my opinion…

Doug

Posted at 6:30 AM on January 5, 2012

Wait to you guys see the pictures inside the magazine.

Dr.P!nk

Posted at 2:19 AM on January 5, 2012

OMG..i teared up while reading Selena’s note ='(
Selena is such a SWEETHEART..you just can’t stand but Love and Respect her <3
#Delena4ever

Sel&Demi

Posted at 12:18 AM on January 5, 2012

This article reminds me of The Wizard of Oz.
Selena is the Tin Man, not knowing how hig her heart is.
Demi is the Lion, not realizing how much courage she has.
Stay Strong, Delena! <3

nioosha

Posted at 7:07 AM on January 5, 2012

and this is the best comment EVER!!!!!i could never describe it better than u did,so true and amazing,ur comment made me smile, well described

Kelly

Posted at 11:55 PM on January 4, 2012

This is more proof that Selena is one of the most kindest people in Hollywood. You never hear her say a bad word about anybody, unlike some people. Don’t you agree?

000

Posted at 11:32 PM on January 4, 2012

Bristol Palin too is helping the young girls abstain from sex, save it til marriage.

dayana

Posted at 10:20 PM on January 4, 2012

i love you selena and demi !

Ulysses

Posted at 10:10 PM on January 4, 2012

COURAGE comes from diferent sources, so IF a War Veteran who has lost his Legs and more stands for something publicly or has the mentality to keep having the “Courage” to look for Work/employment, and a person recuperating from years of fighting Cancer and all the stress and depression and such which came with it are compared…WE CANT! While Demi (whom I just looked up a few days ago) went thru wat she did, she still gets hardly any hate or opposition from fans of music. On the otherhand, Selena gets SO MUCH hate it simply makes me think there are surely black souls and rotting hearts out there. JUST to spite Selena. Such hate effects Selenas performances at her Non-concert shows, like TCA or VMA etc. I mean, some one threw a Bottled Water at her on one of those shows!!! And Selena being the good hearted person she is, such acts of brainless hate DOES HIT the mind and soul. Selenator.

sel

Posted at 10:03 PM on January 4, 2012

after reading this i’m having more respect for selena gomez. Luv u forever sel.

Micayla

Posted at 9:39 PM on January 4, 2012

I think they will always be friends. Selena and Demi are amazing and inspirational! I’m glad that they grew up to be great women! I love both of them! Yes I have
Loved Selena since I was Watson Barney and wizards but they just are very courageous!! I just feel bad about the rumors spread about them! Keep up the great work and never stop believing Selena and Demi!! <3

Cleo

Posted at 9:28 PM on January 4, 2012

Amazing how these teens barely can speak a word without the “you know” or “like” or “ok,” speak yet write such beautifully organized forethoughts with nary a grammatically error. PEOPLE, this letter was written by Demi’s publicist! Selena never saw the note; alledgely.

kl

Posted at 9:51 PM on January 4, 2012

Hmmmmm. Let thee who learns how to spell ‘alledgely’ cast the first stone? Mean, too…

Kelley

Posted at 10:01 PM on January 4, 2012

Cleo, Why would Demi’s publicist write Demi a note??

Hannah smiggs

Posted at 9:10 PM on January 4, 2012

I think Selena put thought into this note

Alyssa

Posted at 9:04 PM on January 4, 2012

Selena is such a great friend to Demi.
Selena was there for Demi when Demi needed her the most.
Yeah, Miley was a friend but Demi admitted they DO get in fights….. Demi says that her and Selena have never fought because Selena is not a confrontal person…. I am very sure Demi would do the same for her too. They have been best friends since the beginning.
The are probably the best known Disney star friends known.
Besides Bella Thorne & Zendaya Coleman…..
I truly believe they are the best friend out there, and they will be forever.

Lovatic#1

Posted at 9:04 PM on January 4, 2012

OMG THIS IS LETTER IS SO AMAZING I AM REALLY GLAD THAT SELENA AND DEMI ARE FRIENDS!

Aylissa

Posted at 9:13 PM on January 4, 2012

Omg I’m gay

Ulysses

Posted at 9:55 PM on January 4, 2012

I LAUGHED OUT LOUD! U R Silly!

tom