'Paralyzed And Pregnant With Twins'—An Update!

Thu, April 14, 2011 11:18am EDT by 6 Comments

Courtesy of Discovery Health

Claudia Salley is one of only 10 known paralyzed women in the US to have ever successfully given birth to twins! Her story is AMAZING!

In 2006 Claudia Salley and her husband, Jamey, were driving to the mall to go Christmas shopping with their 4-month-old infant son, Levi in the backseat when they were rear-ended by an 18-wheeler semi. Little baby Levi was killed instantly and Claudia was left paralyzed from the armpits down. In spite of being confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life, in 2009 Claudia discovered she was pregnant! Then the sonogram revealed she and Jamey were expecting twins! This amazing woman was featured on the show, Paralyzed and Pregnant with Twins on Discovery Fit & Health channel, (currently airing in re-runs) and after we cried through the whole show, we just had to find out what ever happened to this courageous lady!

On October 16, 2009 Eli and Isaac Salley were born. Both boys are healthy and happy, and Claudia is one of only 10 known cases in the US of a paralyzed woman successfully giving birth to twins. “They challenge me every day to make me the best mom I can be,” says Claudia. “There are challenges: for example I won’t be able to run after them if  they get hurt. Or if one of them is too low I can’t physically pick him up, but I have someone here who can do that for me.”

Levi would have been three years older than his little brothers. “It’s hard to believe the changes of the last three years,” says Claudia. “I think about Levi every day and wonder what he’d be doing right now.”

Claudia plans to return to school and become a nurse practitioner. “Right now I’m enjoying every second with these beautiful boys. They’re miracles, and I know they are. Every day I get to spend with my twins is a blessing,” she says. OMG, we’re going to start crying all over again! Claudia is such an inspiration to us all!!

Michael Tullos

Posted at 9:45 PM on June 7, 2012

Claudia and I are self publishing Unshaken Faith in a few weeks. Please feel free to visit the Unshaken Faith facebook page and “Like” us. Also, please spread the word; Claudia’s story is amazing.

Thank you!

Nichole Novak

Posted at 11:49 PM on February 23, 2012

First of all she was a nurse at the hospital in which she was air lifted too and gave birth to Eli and Issac. Why would she go back to school after having an RN degree?

tammy

Posted at 4:04 PM on March 18, 2012

A nurse practitioner is actually above an RN, so she is going further her education.

Michael Tullos

Posted at 4:31 PM on August 5, 2011

Update: The twins are beautiful! With Claudia’s help, I have written their story, “Unshaken Faith,” and I am trying to secure a publisher. The book goes through their first birthday.

It has been a few months since I have seen Eli and Isaac, but I hope to see them again soon. The family is doing great. They are very inspiring.

Freelance

Posted at 2:58 PM on April 14, 2011

Hi tvwatcher- I wrote the article and unfortunately that’s the most recent update we could find! We’ve contacted claudia’s lawyer and he hasn’t gotten back to us- if he does, we’ll update again!

tvwatcher

Posted at 2:35 PM on April 14, 2011

I saw the show on Discovery and I am in total awe for what she has done since the tragedy. Her husband is also very inspiring. Now to my small peeve with the article. How can this be considered and update when it leaves off with the twins birth in 2009 and it’s now 18 months later. It would be apdate if the article mentioned if Claudia did go back to school and how she managed from the twins birth to now. Thank you