Bethenny Frankel Haunted By Her Past: 'My Father Was Unstable And Psychotic'

Wed, March 16, 2011 11:33am EDT by 7 Comments

SplashNews.comAfter being abandoned by her father and estranged from her mother, Bethenny still struggles with the reality of a “happy” family.

Bethenny Frankel, 40, seems to have everything a woman could want. A wonderful and successful career, a loving and devoted husband, Jason Hoppy, and a beautiful baby daughter, Bryn, 10 months. But in truth, she still struggles with her past and the fact that she had anything but a normal upbringing. Now the newlywed mom is determined to “break the chain” with her own family.

“I didn’t have a role model for family togetherness,” Bethenny, who is releasing her self-help book A Place of Yes: 10 Rules For Getting Everything You Want Out of Life, tells In Touch magazine. The reality star was estranged from her mother, Bernadette Parisella, who she says” struggled with anger, alcohol and eating issues. I worry about making sure my mom and me never happens between Bryn and I.”

And her family issues don’t end there. Bethenny’s biological father Bobby abandoned her when she was just a toddler and her step dad, John Parisella, was a bit of a loose cannon. “He was the only real father I had,” Bethenny says of John. “But he was unstable and psychotic.”

Now Bethenny has a wonderful man in her life, Jason, who is an incredible husband, and a wonderful father. Still Bethenny admits that her relationship with his parents is hindered by her past experience with her own. “Jason doesn’t understand why I don’t always want his family around,” she explains. “That kind of attention is not what I’m used to. But truthfully, I think I’m getting better.”

Bethenny believes she has come full circle — as both a wife and a mother — and that her past will no longer affect her present. “I want to give Bryn everything I didn’t have as a child,” she says, “and more.” Good for her!

–Leigh Blickley

Get more HollyBaby news and gossip! Friend us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Subscribe to our Newsletter!

go now

Posted at 2:04 PM on June 1, 2012

You’re in point of fact a just right webmaster. The web site loading speed is incredible. It kind of feels that you’re doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you’ve done a magnificent process in this subject!

siding cleaning

Posted at 9:33 PM on April 11, 2012

Useful info. Fortunate me I found your web site unintentionally, and I’m surprised why this twist of fate did not took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

Maria

Posted at 12:07 AM on April 3, 2012

I feel I’m living a parallel life to Bethany Frankel. Totally understand her struggles, heck I’ve lived them & live them. She really is a great example of strength. My respects to Bethany.

Charleigh

Posted at 10:12 AM on July 26, 2011

I was so confused about what to buy, but this makes it undersantdalbe.

Penelope

Posted at 9:00 AM on April 5, 2011

I am beginning to (along with my other 5 friends) see some fakeness in Ms. B. She is a real attention getter and wants people to feel sorry for her. She is either medicated or needs medication for her manic moods. Poor Jason, he is a wonderful man, but I agree what Bethenny and her friend said…”I don’t know what he saw in me”…she will eat him up and toss him like she has her parents. Sorry…gut feeling

Ms. B, be happy with Hoppy and quit the fake a ss tears. Your show is getting harder to watch anymore. It should be just Bryn and Jason…that is what we need today, Happy with Hoppy and Ms. Bryn

Marie

Posted at 4:09 PM on March 16, 2011

Bethenny is such a role model for many women out there. I grew up in a toxic and crazy household as well. I can totally relate to what she goes through. She’s such an inspiration.

elsa

Posted at 3:32 PM on March 16, 2011

There are so many grammatical errors in the piece that I could barely read it, fyi.