Kirstin At 'Idol:' Aww…Adam Lambert Freaked Out When He Met Steven Tyler!

Thu, March 10, 2011 10:52pm EST by 108 Comments

Watching Adam meet one of his idols for the first time was a magical moment! He was completely starstruck!

One of the perks of getting to see the live tapings of American Idol is witnessing what happens during the commercial breaks. However, tonight was even more special than usual because one of my favorite Idol alums, the one-and-only Adam Lambert, was in the house — and the energy was electrifying.

You all watched Adam, 29, sing an acoustic version of his song, “Aftermath,” to benefit The Trevor Project, but what you DIDN’T see was his interaction with the three judges afterward. At first, Adam and Ryan Seacrest stood center stage chatting for a bit (with their mics off, unfortunately!). Randy Jackson couldn’t get up on stage fast enough to congratulate his former contestant with a big hug, while Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez stayed back at the judges’ table.

After Randy left, Adam took off his microphone, sipped on Smart Water and went over to chat with the Idolists. It was super sweet because he took time to hug each and every contestant — even James Durbin, who told HollywoodLife.com last week he is NOTHING like Adam (despite comparisons). After meeting Adam in person, I think James had a change of heart though, because the two of them continued to talk for awhile, even snapping photos together. It was almost like Adam was passing the baton to James — I hope James realizes just how lucky he is!

Adam was super sweet to chat with all the contestants, but I could tell he was dying to say hello to J. Lo and meet Steven. He rushed over to the judges table and gave Jennifer a huge hug. After exchanging pleasantries with her, Adam turned to Steven and almost lost it.

I could read his lips. “Wow,” he said. “It’s an honor to meet you!”

Steven, 62, didn’t seem too ruffled, but clearly enjoyed meeting Adam as well. I couldn’t see exactly what he said to him, but he did point out Adam’s necklace (Glamberts, do you know what he had on tonight?) and nod enthusiastically, as if he loved it. I half expected Adam to take off his necklace and give it to Steven on the spot!

Sadly, the commercial break was only so long and Adam had to say his goodbyes quickly before the show went back on-air. Glamberts in the crowd were screaming his name and Adam — who’s always so good to his fans — waved and smiled appreciatively before booking it out of the studio just in time for the cameras to start rolling once again.

All of this happened in less than three minutes, but I loved witnessing that magic in person. The contestants met their idol, and THAT idol met HIS idol. How cool is that?  What did you guys think of Adam’s tame performance tonight? Sound off below!

Click here to see Chris Medina Bring Out The Humanity In Diva J-Lo!

Click here for ‘American Idol’ Recap: Was Chris Medina Wrongfully Eliminated?

Click here Is ‘American Idol’ Star Thia Megia The New Charice?

Alurmira

Posted at 10:47 AM on March 11, 2011

I was so happy that Adam finally got to meet Steven Tyler who is obviously one of his idols. I remember Adam referring to Steven as “the man” on AI just before he sang “Cryin”. What I can’t believe however, are the negative comments on here towards Steven Tyler. Just rediculous. Steven is a rock icon, rock legend and a very busy man in the middle of many projects. He’s also nearly 63 years old and should be respected for his many great accomplishments in the music industry. It sounds absolutely rediculous to read that some on here seem to think that Steven Tyler should somehow be “star struck” or moved in some way by Adam Lambert. I mean, c’mon people! I love Adam Lambert to pieces but he doesn’t come near to the rock legend of Steven Tyler. Besides that, Steven looked very tired all evening, giving his head a shake to stay awake during the final three eliminations. And why shouldn’t he be. He’s sitting as a judge on a tamelame show when he’s an iconic rocker for heavens sake! Yes, he would be better suited for a show like Rockstar INXS or Rockstar Supernova, but American Idol doesn’t have that type of image and I doubt that we will ever see that kind rock energy on a show like American Idol (although Adam is the closest I’ve seen to giving it that spark). So Steven Tyler sits, trying to stay enthused and awake long enough to get through each and every show after looooong days of rehearsals with singers that don’t fit his style of music at all. I think he’s doing very well considering but I doubt that you will see him as a judge next year. I think if anything, the show has sparked a renewed awakening for him and reminded him just how much his fans love and miss him. So next year, probably more new music and other projects for him, if indeed, he can fight through the chronic pain of his knee injury which he has been struggling with, not to mention the many years of addictions which undoubtedly have taken their toll on his whole body. so let’s give Steven Tyler the respect he deserves and Adam Lambert the love and admiration he deserves. But to expect Steven Tyler to somehow be star struck and amazed by a former American Idol contestants is just rediculous and completely disrespectful to both of them.

Slinky

Posted at 11:04 AM on March 11, 2011

Stephen Tyler just had gas or something. Once you hit 60 stuff happens. lol

Tahaa

Posted at 12:40 AM on March 12, 2011

OK You are right..BUT..Steven did give DIDDY a standing ovation..and he is very emotional..he always lets you know when he like something..He was very low key regarding Adam’s Song..That’s all people are saying…OK..He just didn’t care for it..
and Jlo was tame too…
these are two very uninhibitated people with their praise..soo
but Adam sang with out Back up and was Phenomenal

Sandy

Posted at 10:41 AM on March 11, 2011

I was not able to watch yet but after reading about ST’s reaction I am already displeased. I will just focus on Adam, I suppose. I saw the Ryan interview and Adam looked wonderful, cant wait until I get to see it!

Mina

Posted at 10:39 AM on March 11, 2011

Loved this, TQ. Adam was perfection, vocal & looks-wise. Very suitable for the occasion : the message of Aftermath. Loved that he met the contestants & the judges. Who cares whether JLo & STyler got attitudes, I’m more concerned with Adam that he met artists he admires so much. He’s classy & enthusiastic and confident enough in himself to appreciate others. Go Adam:)

Chucky

Posted at 10:06 AM on March 11, 2011

Adam Lambert’s performance was terrible. He is possibly the worst singer in American Idol finalist history. They should have had Steven sing. Season 8 sucked. Season 10 is the best.

Slinky

Posted at 11:00 AM on March 11, 2011

Adam was AMAZING! Everybody that matters agrees vocal masterclass. Only the bitter and the haters seem to disagree. Thank you for another wonderful performance Adam! We love you baby!

magsmagenta

Posted at 6:01 AM on March 12, 2011

Troll alert

clr

Posted at 10:00 AM on March 11, 2011

Loved Adam’s performance. The audience gave him a standing ovation and was showing him lots of love. So great to see him up there with Monte, Tommy and Isaac. Go to Adam Lambert’s Official page and download the Aftermath remix to help The Trevor Project. There is also an acoustic EP there that you can buy to hear the acoustic Aftermath again.

R

Posted at 8:36 AM on March 11, 2011

Thanks for the behind the scenes info, it was sweet :) and I loved Adam’s performance!

lambertsforever

Posted at 8:03 AM on March 11, 2011

I agree completelely that both J Lo and Steven T were horendous with Adam. It left me feeling very bizarre. These two “giants” were apparently jealous of Adam, they showed no appreciation, it was disgraceful.

Christyl

Posted at 7:57 AM on March 11, 2011

Adam’s performance was really good, and I haven’t really been a fan of his, but I think you’re all wrong about Steven’s attitude towards Adam. The whole night Steven semms like something was wrong, and I don’t think he was trying to come off as rude to Adam. The only reason, at least I think, that Steven stood for Puff Daddy was cause of the topic of the song, something I’m sure Steven’s dealt with in his own life. But if oyu guys actually noticed, Steven NEVER spoke once the whole show, which is near impossible for him, he usually doesn’t know how to stop. So PLEASE don’t think badly of him, it’s something more.

LambertsLabelle

Posted at 7:52 AM on March 11, 2011

Thank you so much,its relly interesting to read what happens in the breaks..I always wondered! Glad dam had a good time and had the chance to meet Steven..
James D.is completely right with his comment-he is NOTHING like Adam!!!!!!!!! I couldnt have said that better,louder and clearer!!! He should have a BIG piece of humble-pie!
That was what I was most jealous of..all the contestans had the chance to meet him!!!!!

Carol J

Posted at 7:52 AM on March 11, 2011

Adam is a completely different star than Steven Tyler. Steven’s been at it for over 30 years and still has the respect/admiration of millions. Will Adam even break even in that category? I highly doubt it.

LambertsLabelle

Posted at 7:53 AM on March 11, 2011

you ll see!!!! :)

Slinky

Posted at 11:08 AM on March 11, 2011

I don’t respect/admire Steven Tyler… why should I? I don’t admire somebody for still being alive after a live of drugs and rock and roll. What has he done to help the world? Has he been involved in charities that I am unaware of? Or is this another chance to grab some more cash?

Nina

Posted at 11:39 AM on March 11, 2011

You highly doubt it? I highly doubt you.

Janet

Posted at 6:54 AM on March 11, 2011

Adams performance was amazing last night, its good to see him perform again, just when I think it can’t get any better he delivers another stellar performance. Maybe Steve Tyler was a little envious that Adam can hit higher notes than he does or was he just plain awe struck like everyone else. At least Randy acknowledged graciously and genuinely, too bad they didn’t show that part for the viewers. Doesn’t matter about Steve’s reaction, Adams getting rave reviews as always, I’ve lost some respect for Steve Tyler. Something he could learn from Adam is graciousness, Adams going to be around for a long long time.

Alisha

Posted at 3:14 AM on March 11, 2011

Adam Lambert is gracious, bodacious, and glitericious… I LOVE LOVE LOVE him… went to his concert… will go again.. will travel long miles to do so… Idol is over for me actually… I watch but not with enthusiasm… I have had many favorites throughout every season, but once this man took the stage it was over… I was hooked and obsessed… and I wish him well.. he has an awesome attitude and even better voice… I love him toned down, I love him OTT… I love everything about him except I actually need to meet him….. BUCKET LIST! ;)

shade

Posted at 3:11 AM on March 11, 2011

Steven Tyler was miserable looking during Lambert’s performance. Both he and Lopez gave him the polite golf clap, too. PFFFFT jealous much?

JulieB

Posted at 7:10 AM on March 11, 2011

I totally agree with you!! The underexcitement was noticeable. But to heck with them, I say!!! The audience enjoyed Adam, and that’s the only thing that matters!!!!

LambertsLabelle

Posted at 7:55 AM on March 11, 2011

BUT he bothered to give a SO to somebody who rhymes words and sells that as “music”…..

Slinky

Posted at 11:09 AM on March 11, 2011

Jealous much! lol

rita

Posted at 3:06 AM on March 11, 2011

Wow. I think some of Adam fans read wayyyy to much into everything. Does everyone need to kiss Adam’s feet to appreciate him and fawn all over him. Did you people even read this article,Jeezus. Grow up people!!

shade

Posted at 3:17 AM on March 11, 2011

And did you even watch the show? Tyler was sitting there with a miserable look on his face throughout the performance.Not a single smile. Ditto JLo. But the joke’s on him because his little talent search will pale in comparison to Lambert, and WORSE, his daughter Mia is Lamberts’ bassist’s BFF and we already know she’s said what a jerk he is/was. OF COURSE, Steven Tyler was polite when Adam approached HIM. But it was his JOB to greet the “talent” while sitting at a JUDGING table, politely and a smirk followed by a golf clap doesn’t cut it. No surprise though, it’s hard to be an old man and watch someone starting out their career in their 20’s who you cannot DISPUTE has chops you wish you still had.

Karen

Posted at 7:47 AM on March 11, 2011

It’s just that we love him so much and we want everyone else to love him just as much. Don’t be so hard on us…it was an exciting day for us to have Adam back on idol singing a truly beautiful song, whose proceeds are going to benefit the Trevor Project. That’s all :)

KT

Posted at 9:38 AM on March 11, 2011

That doesn’t mean Steven deserves to be bashed. I love Adam Lambert myself but I didn’t care that Steven didn’t get up from his chair and hug him. Big deal. Steven obviously wasn’t having that great of a night because he barely talked. Now if Steven just ignored him yes I would be a little angry too but that wasn’t the case.

Teresa

Posted at 2:50 AM on March 11, 2011

Adam has so many fascinating sides to him. That’s why it’s silly to say anyone is Adam 2.0. He can’t be duplicated like some generic singer. I love the glammy OTT Adam and – as much as I also love the toned down acoustic Adam that we’ve all seen so many times since he left the Idol nest – I hope he doesn’t quit being the bodacious Adam who breaks stereotypes and shatters boundaries. Dont let the stuff-shirts box you in too much Adam. You are a genuine star and you should let your talented self be exactly who you are.

Portia

Posted at 2:29 AM on March 11, 2011

I agree that Steven Tyler demeanor regarding Adam Lambert was rather rude. I think it was very inappropriate for him to stand and applaude for the boring rapper and give a unpleasant expression after Mr. Lambert’s beautiful Aftermath. It was very a strange reaction by Tyler, and he lost my respect. He has fawned over the pretty girls and really made a fool of himself by giving vague meaningless critiques, but I still enjoyed his comments. Sorry to say, I will be tuning out in the future. Thank goodness for the sanity of Randy Jackson.

Karen

Posted at 7:54 AM on March 11, 2011

First let me say that I’m a huge Steven Tyler fan. Seen him in concert and have many Aerosmith albums. But I’m not sure Steven was 100% last night…as he walked on to the stage as the show was starting he seemed a little out of it (disoriented). JLo sort of pulled him over as he seemed to be drifting to his left where the contestants were sitting. Even when ST has not liked someone’s performance he’s been polite about it. So let’s just give him the benefit of the doubt as I’m sure Adam would do. No hating needed here…Adam was stunning and his vocals amazing. Let’s focus on the fact that he got to chat some more with JLo and hopefully she got the chance to show him the Dougie :)

LambertsLabelle

Posted at 8:00 AM on March 11, 2011

no hate,I was a big Tyler-fan also.But disapointed about his almost rejecting reaction.He met a FAN in Adam,he should at least aknowlogyze (man..did I get this word right???) that if he cant see extraordinary musical talent..

LambertsLabelle

Posted at 7:58 AM on March 11, 2011

I agree! I always enjoyed the audicions but got really TIRED of Stevens dirty comments for every young chick with boobs and mini…

gbtw

Posted at 2:05 AM on March 11, 2011

i liked adam’s performance. he was doing a lot of show boating when he first was out and about town after idol, and it was a turn off… i much prefer the mellow adam to the elton john version making scenes in clubs and making out with keisha for no apparent reason. i don’t know why steven wasn’t fawning over him, but i’m sure he was appropriate about everything.

Almira

Posted at 1:20 AM on March 11, 2011

Thanks for this wonderful article. Adam and his musicians were all wonderful. The love they have for their craft was very evident in this performance tonight. It would have been appropriate for J-Lo and ST to be more warm and welcoming to such a successful Idol alum.

CherelleDay

Posted at 12:59 AM on March 11, 2011

I was a little disappointed in Steven’s apparent lack of engagement during Adam’s performance as well. Kinda tight-lipped when I thought a little genuine appreciation was called for. His later over reaction to that diddy-person un-singer’s completely forgettable white noise was all the more confusing. Where was the generous and fun loving Tyler I was growing to respect? Quite a letdown from my perspective. Had to hope he seemed less cold and remote up close from Adam’s point of view!

Adam love, you were impeccable in every way as always!

Alice

Posted at 1:27 PM on March 11, 2011

Adam was just great on Idol and he put yet another spin on Aftermath off his FYE album…I think there are four versions of this song now! (album, GNT, dance, Idol version) I love Adam all glam but also love him with no eyeliner so you can really see his “baby blues” and eyelashes….he looked so fresh-faced, young (and innocent LOL).

All the judges clapped very much after Adam’s performance and Steven actually had a little Mona Lisa smile on his face I thought….he must have been thinking “damn, this former Idol contestant is great!” Glamberts are not the only arbiters of musical taste everyone! The only time Steven didn’t clap is at the end when they were going to commercial.

As far as the standing ovations go….JLo and Randy were definitely going to give P.Diddy one so what was Steven supposed to do, sit there while the other two stood up? Do you actually think Steven liked P.Diddy’s “music” BETTER than Adam’s performance, honestly? Please please Glamberts, think about what you are saying before you spew off untrue things like “Steven was rude to Adam”….try to think of how embarrassing that would be to Adam if he found out what his fans were saying about his rock idol? I’m a Glambert but I sometimes can see why people say Adam’s fans act innapropriately…just be positive about his Idol night…he is selling lots of music right now because of it!

Steven’s band, Aerosmith, is the best selling American rock band of all time, they have tons of Grammy’s and video awards, so Steven doesn’t need to stand up for someone that is not in his league yet…Aerosmith has been around for 40 years (not 30), which is from a time when Adam’s PARENTS were only teenagers!! Would we expect that Adam would be obligated to stand up for one of this year’s idols for a good performance? No, even though he probably would anyway, although Adam is becoming a superstar and is Grammy-nominated, so he would not be expected to stand for a show conestant. Everyone just relax and be HAPPY in the Aftermath!

DANA MARTIN

Posted at 12:49 AM on March 11, 2011

LOVE YOUR PRAISE OF ADAM. I ADORE THIS MAN & HE LOOKED AMAZING TONIGHT. I’M DIGGING HIS CLEANER LOOK. HE IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I DO WANT TO HEAR HIM ROCK OUT SOON!

lola

Posted at 12:44 AM on March 11, 2011

why is everyone preoccupied in assessing steven tyler and jennifer lopez reactions, i don’t care about them. adam was excellent and as usual the total performer.

Jillian

Posted at 12:34 AM on March 11, 2011

I seriously do not know how you could watch Adam’s performance on Idol earlier today and continue to compare him to James Durbin. Durbin on his best day will NEVER sing this well, and to suggest that Adam was ‘passing on a baton’ is quite frankly ridiculous. Adam’s performance was stripped down, and yet it felt electrifying. Durbin doesn’t have his range, and NONE of his control.

Terry Tassano

Posted at 12:30 AM on March 11, 2011

Adam was incredible as always… I totally agree with some of you about Steven Tyler. In fact I was doing a search on this very topic to see if others saw the same thing and came across some of you who did. I grew up with Aerosmith and loved them as far back as I can remember. I was really pumped to see Steven as a judge once the show started this year because we actually had a glimpse behind the curtain so to speak and see Steven in a different way. After tonight the way he snubbed Adam and did a standing O for Diddy I’m Sickened. I lost RESPECT for him tonight as some of you.

Leigh

Posted at 12:18 AM on March 11, 2011

Re: Tyler being a poop – I mean, who cares really? He’s old and over. Probably annoyed that he’s looking at a beautiful young man who’s a greater singer than he is. Lambert was just great – classy and did what he came to do – the words in the song were important to him and that’s what came across. He can do the rock anytime – tonight was a message of love – he’s an extraordinary performer in every way.

lking

Posted at 12:16 AM on March 11, 2011

A typical Adam performance, full on, hitting the notes. It was a little faster than the GNT, but loved it. Noticed he toned down the glam big time for the Idol Stage. So glad he went over and gave these kids encouragement. I am sure it meant the world to them. Also, can understand Adam’s being wowed meeting one of his icons.