Kirstin At 'Idol:' Aww…Adam Lambert Freaked Out When He Met Steven Tyler!

Thu, March 10, 2011 10:52pm EDT by 108 Comments

Watching Adam meet one of his idols for the first time was a magical moment! He was completely starstruck!

One of the perks of getting to see the live tapings of American Idol is witnessing what happens during the commercial breaks. However, tonight was even more special than usual because one of my favorite Idol alums, the one-and-only Adam Lambert, was in the house — and the energy was electrifying.

You all watched Adam, 29, sing an acoustic version of his song, “Aftermath,” to benefit The Trevor Project, but what you DIDN’T see was his interaction with the three judges afterward. At first, Adam and Ryan Seacrest stood center stage chatting for a bit (with their mics off, unfortunately!). Randy Jackson couldn’t get up on stage fast enough to congratulate his former contestant with a big hug, while Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez stayed back at the judges’ table.

After Randy left, Adam took off his microphone, sipped on Smart Water and went over to chat with the Idolists. It was super sweet because he took time to hug each and every contestant — even James Durbin, who told HollywoodLife.com last week he is NOTHING like Adam (despite comparisons). After meeting Adam in person, I think James had a change of heart though, because the two of them continued to talk for awhile, even snapping photos together. It was almost like Adam was passing the baton to James — I hope James realizes just how lucky he is!

Adam was super sweet to chat with all the contestants, but I could tell he was dying to say hello to J. Lo and meet Steven. He rushed over to the judges table and gave Jennifer a huge hug. After exchanging pleasantries with her, Adam turned to Steven and almost lost it.

I could read his lips. “Wow,” he said. “It’s an honor to meet you!”

Steven, 62, didn’t seem too ruffled, but clearly enjoyed meeting Adam as well. I couldn’t see exactly what he said to him, but he did point out Adam’s necklace (Glamberts, do you know what he had on tonight?) and nod enthusiastically, as if he loved it. I half expected Adam to take off his necklace and give it to Steven on the spot!

Sadly, the commercial break was only so long and Adam had to say his goodbyes quickly before the show went back on-air. Glamberts in the crowd were screaming his name and Adam — who’s always so good to his fans — waved and smiled appreciatively before booking it out of the studio just in time for the cameras to start rolling once again.

All of this happened in less than three minutes, but I loved witnessing that magic in person. The contestants met their idol, and THAT idol met HIS idol. How cool is that?  What did you guys think of Adam’s tame performance tonight? Sound off below!

Click here to see Chris Medina Bring Out The Humanity In Diva J-Lo!

Click here for ‘American Idol’ Recap: Was Chris Medina Wrongfully Eliminated?

Click here Is ‘American Idol’ Star Thia Megia The New Charice?

Free Android Applications

Posted at 9:02 PM on May 25, 2012

I beloved as much as you’ll receive performed right here. The comic strip is tasteful, your authored material stylish. however, you command get bought an nervousness over that you wish be turning in the following. sick without a doubt come more beforehand again as precisely the similar nearly very regularly inside case you defend this hike.

Lily

Posted at 6:55 AM on March 26, 2011

Love it…I am biased because accoustic “Aftermath” was my 2nd most favorite performance on Adam Lambert’s Glamnation tour Live concert. During the Live concert it was even tamer… Adam Lambert was only accompanied by one accoustic guitarist.

Belle

Posted at 3:27 PM on March 24, 2011

I love Adam and think he’s an amazing performer and totally sweet guy. It must have been such a thrill for him to meet his idol “Steven Tyler’s the man”.. and a wonderful sight to witness :) I prefer the stripped down version of this song, and his performance was more than outstanding – he looked and sounded amazing – so it was disappointing to see the lack of response from Jennifer and Steven. I live in the UK and so we have XFactor. All judges always, without fail, give ‘all’ guests, whether they’re past winners or top performers, a standing ovation as a mark of respect.. something that i noticed that the Idolists did .. good for them!!

Jacky Westoby

Posted at 10:05 AM on March 24, 2011

Glad it’s not only me who was somewhat surprised at Tyler and Lopez’s somewhat muted reactions to Adam’s beautifull performance the other week-I’d quite warmed to Tyler as an Idol judge-but will never like Lopez-but his sour expression really annoyed me; I mean, what was there NOT to enjoy in such a faultless rendition of a good song? Very bizarre; at least the Lambert fans in the audience gave him the feedback he deserved.
I’m 48 years old-old enough to be his mum!!-but absolutely ADORE Adam; no other contestant in A.I history has such overwhelming talent; he is gorgeous to look at and the voice is remarkable-an absolute star in the making.I saw him in Glasgow in Scotland last November, and he was even better live than I dared hope.His album is close to perfection, and quite frankly, he doesn’t need help from Idol, Tyler or anyone else, because he has star quality in abundance.

Kim

Posted at 8:04 AM on March 20, 2011

Glad Im not the only one who got the feeling that Steven Tyler was ‘not impressed’. You could read the look all over his face. So……why?????? Adam is such a sweet guy. I was quite disgusted in the way he acted. Sooooooo BOOOOOOO to you ST and well done Adam. We luv ya :)

Pam

Posted at 5:27 PM on March 17, 2011

Adam graced the stage with his awesome talent once again. Wherever he is, there will be energy and excellence.

lking

Posted at 4:46 PM on March 14, 2011

Love the understated look Adam sporting and seeing Monte, Tommy and Isaac. Like old times. The stripped down Aftermath is as good as the others. Adam’s voice just as strong as ever, and just as good. Can’t wait for new album. Not sure Tyler liked the love Adam was getting, he is the big shot this year.

bee bee

Posted at 3:46 AM on March 13, 2011

Steven Tyler didn’t seem impressed while Adam performed.
He even seemed annoyed, jealous ? Adam is too much of a gentleman, and seems so honest I’m sure he was in awe of
S.T., I wasn’t !

joy Lambskank @uownmyheartadam

Posted at 3:38 AM on March 24, 2011

I noticed his expression too but I have also witnessed Steve on several other occasions to be grimacing during a contestant’s performance and than end up showering them with praise. You can’t tell what Steve is thinking by his facial expressions.

With that said, I think Adam did a great job but it was not his best performance on Idol. WWFM was so over the top exceptional that singing his acoustic version of Aftermath may have been a let down to some but of course not to me. I can never get enough of him…

carolyn

Posted at 5:40 PM on March 12, 2011

Energy pours out of that man even when he stands still.

Patti

Posted at 8:09 AM on March 12, 2011

I loved it. Though, I do prefer his wilder side, his sweet side captures my heart each and every time its on display. He’s soooo HOTTT!!!!!

brill

Posted at 4:38 AM on March 12, 2011

ofcourse james in nothing like adam. no one is. adam is the best contestent ever to take part in idol.I like James but he would be lucky to have half of adam’s talen.

TJ

Posted at 4:13 PM on March 11, 2011

Adam rocked the house, it was so good to see him and all his band again. He is so awesome. Please don’t hate James, that is such a strong ,awful word. It is ok to not like an artist, but to hate, well, that would break Adams heart. The world already has too much hate, don’t contribute, as it only hurts you right back and more.

g1gglez313

Posted at 3:52 PM on March 11, 2011

Adam was awesome last night!!

Karian

Posted at 3:00 PM on March 11, 2011

Adam lambert is the winner this year too!!! By a landslide!!

Rebecca Corley Bailey

Posted at 2:07 PM on March 11, 2011

I really enjoyed reading this! Adam is my favorite entertainer! unfortunately so much of his music & videos, have to be purchased & we’re struggling to live on disability. My husband was paralyzed from the chest down in the hospital & I stay home as his caretaker. I appreciate anything like this I can get because of our financial state. Thanks again for making this available. I hope someday I’ll get to see him in person. You never know what the future holds!!

kkc

Posted at 1:04 PM on March 11, 2011

I love Steven and JLo and Adam.

I hate James Durbin! Sorry!
I love Pia. And Casey too.

magsmagenta

Posted at 5:56 AM on March 12, 2011

The’re no need to hate James, it’s not as if he’s committed genocide. If you don’t like his singing don’t vote for him. I like him myself as a fellow Metalhead, although I’m in the UK and can’t vote.
I adore Adam and I’m really glad that he and James get on.

Alurmira

Posted at 12:52 PM on March 11, 2011

I think the fans, and probably Adam himself was dissapointed that he didn’t get to sing “Cryin” in front of Steven freakin Tyler on Season 8, but the fans have to remember that Adam is not a contestant anymore and the fans seriously have to STOP JUDGING HIM EVERY DAMN TIME HE SINGS A SONG!! Seriously, just enjoy the performance (or not if it wasn’t your favourite version), but the constant criticism and judging of every flippin song he sings is getting beyond irritating. Adam is an amazing singer and performer. I love him and will take him any way I can!

nanlu

Posted at 12:29 PM on March 11, 2011

Enjoyed seeing Adam again and he is always so pleasent and at ease in front of all…just a natural …..liked the song too.

Robin

Posted at 12:05 PM on March 11, 2011

LOVED seeing Adam on Idol again. Aftermath was AWESOME!!!!! He looked so relaxed and in love!!!!!!! LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!

Slinky

Posted at 11:12 AM on March 11, 2011

Stephen Tyler was having a ditty dirty diaper moment. Give him a break he is 73 afterall. :)

Lana

Posted at 11:10 AM on March 11, 2011

OMG people not everyone has to prostrate themselves at the feet of Adam Lambert. I really think too much is being read into ST’s reaction to his performance. And seriously why should Steven Tyler out of anyone be fawning over him. He’s Steven Freakin Tyler. Yes Adam performed beautifully last night but that doesn’t mean he’s the best performer/singer in the world and should be bowed down to at all times. Besides ST seemed to be a bit off last night and not at all like his usual self so maybe people could cut him some slack here. The article did point out he seemed to enjoy meeting Adam.

Robin

Posted at 12:06 PM on March 11, 2011

Adam IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD and MUCH better looking than Steven Tyler!!!!!

Myla

Posted at 10:57 AM on March 11, 2011

On my first watch, I also thought “WTF is that lame reception from JLo and Steven? What kind of applause was that?” Fortunately, I DVRd the performance and re-watched it this morning. When the performance ended, AI widened the shot and I could see all 3 judges clapping. They were still clapping when the camera panned closer to Ryan & Adam at the beginning of the interview. Re-watch it on youtube for proof. Although Steven did have that pained look on his face.

Lynn

Posted at 10:53 AM on March 11, 2011

I loved his stripped down version of Aftermath – not like he did it in his live concerts, but a bit of an up tempo version which was a perfect introduction to the dance remix version now available on itunes. That also is one heck of a great song and the message is the same: If anybody puts you down, if anybody says you’re not allowed, just remember you are not alone in the aftermath. As he has said, there are haters everywhere, but focus on the positives and the hate can’t win. Adam has my loyalty as a fan, but more importantly his message of love and self-acceptance is universal!