Sources Close To Demi Lovato Say She's Had An Eating Disorder & Cutting Issues For A Long Time

Tue, November 2, 2010 4:00pm EDT by 18 Comments

Sadly, the reason behind Demi leaving her tour with the Jonas Brothers a few weeks early has to do with some serious emotional problems, which sources say are an eating disorder and cutting.

Out of all the Hollywood starlets, you would never have expected Demi Lovato to check herself into rehab. But the 18-year-old Disney star did just that, and new reports are claiming that Demi could be a “cutter” — a self-inflicted form of mutilation. A source close to Demi and her camp tell HollywoodLife.com that she’s been suffering with cutting for a long time. But a “physical altercation” with a dancer on her tour is what sent her over the edge.

“She’s not going to be back on this tour with the Jonas Brothers,” says a source. “She has a very long history of battling cutting and eating disorders.”

A spokesperson for Disney tells HollywoodLife.com “We support Demi’s decision to put her health first and we send her our best wishes.”

Demi’s rep made a statement Nov. 1, stating that Demi indeed was seeking help in order to deal with  “emotional and physical issues she has dealt with for some time. Demi has decided to take personal responsibility for her actions and seek help.”

Our source also tells us that Demi was bullied all throughout her childhood.

Several photos taken over the past two years show Demi with marks on her wrists. One photo in particular caused quite a stir, it was taken in October of 2008 at Miley Cyrus’ 16th birthday party in Disneyland, and Demi had very prevalent marks on her left wrist, something her rep claimed were due to wearing tight bracelets.

“Demi was wearing gummy bracelets just prior to her appearance on the red carpet and, because of how tight they were, they left indentations on her wrist,” said her publicist. “These allegations are completely false.”

Demi has been in South America touring with the Jonas Brothers, and she was scheduled to perform in Buenos Aires today. It was reported that an “altercation” with another girl on tour was the “catalyst” for Demi checking into rehab. Demi’s fans are even speculating that this has everything to do with her ex-boyfriend, Joe Jonas‘ new hot and heavy romance with Twilight hottie, Ashley Greene and the fact that he brought her on tour with him.

“She is doing just that. Demi and her family ask that the media please respect their privacy during this difficult time,” said her rep. “She regrets not being able to finish her tour, but is looking forward to getting back to work in the near future.”

— Chloe Melas

Click Here to Read Expert Opinions On Why A Star Like Demi Would Cut Themself!

Check Out Ashley Greene’s Insensitive Tweet From the Jonas Concert!

Mandy

Posted at 11:04 PM on April 3, 2013

Demi has come so far.

itsel

Posted at 9:47 PM on March 16, 2013

Demi stay strong !:D

itsel

Posted at 9:47 PM on March 16, 2013

I love demi

mariah

Posted at 6:52 PM on January 28, 2013

demi im a total fan of yours and i just want to say that i struggled with the same thing as you and i just wanted to say that girl power rocks and we can get through anything that comes our way!!!
#yourbiggestfan

pjae

Posted at 12:57 AM on December 22, 2012

all i have to say about all this is that she is normal just like you and me. Also that she did not cut herself because of Joe. Trust me people with bipolar deal with more then most people. And trust me I do to have bipolar. I use to cut when i was young. I am now 23 and very happy and on meds that help me with it and my depression. She may have gone threw allot when she was younger. Do not judge a book by its cover. We do not know what you r going threw. you see us judging u no. people who suffer from this we go threw a battle everyday. this is illness just like if you had diabetes or something else. so do not judge people. sitting here and saying you hate her. how can you hate someone when you do not even know them. You cannot judge someone. how would you feel if this was your family member and someone was saying bad and mean things to your loved one. you would not like it. So why do that to her. I have not met her but she is one of my favorite stars. She is a survivor. She is allot stronger then most of you then. She will keep dealing with what she has for a life time. You will never understand what people with bipolar go threw. God has a plan for everyone. I think hers is to show everyone it is okay to have a problem and learn from it and help young girls. Like i said do not judge someone if you do not know her.

LOVATIC♥

Posted at 8:45 PM on October 7, 2012

TBH, I know that Joe broke Demi’s heart :( but that’s in the past now…Demi has moved on and she is clearly STRONGER than she was before. Demi is truly my inspiration, and she has helped me through hard times through her relatable and inspiring music. I personally, do not like Ashley, I don’t know how Demi and her treated one another but that is between themselves. NOT HATING HERE. I only want the best for Demi, and if she’s happy, we should all be happy too! Her happiness should come first! I don’t know Ashley so I’m just gonna leave it at that. TBH, from what I’ve seen, Demi and Joe are PERFECT for eachother! They have so much chemistry when they perform together! But that’s just my opinion. Demi deserves someone who will treat her right, and will always be there for her, through the good and hard times. WE LOVE YOU DEMI! STAY STRONG! LOVATIC FOR LIFE! ♥

LOVATIC♥

Posted at 8:50 PM on October 7, 2012

I take back what I said about Ashley! I don’t know her or her story, and like Demi has said, we shouldn’t bully others! Ashley is beautiful and so is Demi! Spread the love! So yeah, I didn’t mean to say that I didn’t like Ashley, I guess I was just angry at the fact that she was Joe’s new girlfriend and not Demi. So yeah, just thought I should say that. WE LOVE YOU DEMI! KEEP MAKING YOUR MUSIC! LOVATIC FOR LIFE! ♥

Mikaila

Posted at 6:30 PM on August 14, 2012

Awww, poor Ashley Greene is getting mixed up with all of this, Ashley Greene is an excellant actress, and an AMAZING Person, she shouldnt have a whole fan club hating on her just because she is dating Demi’s old boyfriend…… Demi had problems, but she got over it, there is no need to swear and hate on actresses’ just because they have eating disorders or cutting problems, 9 times out of 10, they have these problems because of us, they want to look perfect in front of the screen so they dont get hatemail, or bullied…. I understand….

Wiktoria

Posted at 4:56 PM on August 11, 2012

I didn’t really like her but after I read this I think she’s pretty cool

Katlin Johnstone

Posted at 12:20 PM on January 13, 2013

u know u shouldnt like her just because she has cut herself

Cindy

Posted at 6:24 PM on June 21, 2011

Damn i never really liked Demi but now after finging out about her eating disorder nd the cutting nd the drugs she’s doin now i hate her nd i hope selena isn’t the same as her (bff)

Kelsey

Posted at 11:05 PM on February 5, 2012

How can you hate Demi Lovato? Especially after seeing this. How does she not inspire you after all she’s been through and how she has tried to get herself to change. How she is telling her story to set a good example for other people, telling people that there is help out there. There is someone that will help you in the time of need.
how does that not reach out and touch your heart?

Kandy

Posted at 3:23 PM on November 17, 2010

Damn Demi I used to like you but after watching this, I cant stand you anymore. I thought it was you and Selena?

Amy

Posted at 6:35 AM on April 12, 2011

IT’S NOT HER FAULT THOUGH IS IT?

susan

Posted at 8:23 AM on June 4, 2011

ikr she just had a difficed time in her life right now

Brittany

Posted at 5:21 PM on November 4, 2010

I know exactly what she is going through. I have a eating disorder and I used to cut. Its not only you Demi. It will get better. Lots of Love,<3

Anaisabel

Posted at 7:26 PM on November 8, 2010

Hell you use to be like Demi Well I love her but another gossip was going around that she was pushing that little thing that hangs at the back of your tounge and started to vomit and did that caz she wanted to get thin and that now she has a liver prob. but i don’t BELIEVE!!!!!!!

yam opas

Posted at 7:36 AM on November 4, 2010

i’m a huge fan of Demi lovato ….since i was grade six but now i’m a second year student… @ demi i always support you to all your decisions just sure don’t regret after you do it ….just remember “no one can pull you down if you don’t allow them to.Just believe in your power to do what you want…” again we love you demi!!!