EXCLUSIVE! Florence Henderson Tells Us Her Unlikely BFF On ‘DWTS’…Bristol Palin!

Mon, October 11, 2010 3:12pm EST by 7 Comments
Getty Images (2)

Getty Images (2)

Dancing With The Stars has been full of surprises this season, but the biggest ones have been the budding friendships between competitors. Florence Henderson opened up to HollywoodLife.com about her close bond with Bristol Palin!

They say opposites attract, so it shouldn’t come as too much of a shock that former Brady Bunch mom, Florence Henderson, 76, and Bristol Palin,19, daughter of Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin, would strike up a friendship on the set of DWTS.

When we chatted with Florence Oct. 8 at the GLSEN Awards in Beverly Hills, she told about her friendships on set and why Bristol stands out.

“I’ve bonded with most of them but I have a special connection with Bristol,” she told HollywoodLife.com “She has gravitated towards me. She always comes and sits next to me.”

Awww, that sounds cute. Florence, who is well known for her portrayal of Carol Brady on the hit family sit-com The Brady Bunch from 1969-1974, explained why Bristol struck a chord inside her.

“I think I feel very motherly toward her,” she said.

So far, Florence has managed to cheat elimination on DWTS and explained she’s been working extra hard to keep up with her younger counterparts, who at times can’t even sit up!

“I think it is a challenge for everybody not just me. I see a lot of the younger ones sitting all slumped over. Certainly I feel sore and tired. I think the experience is going well for me,” she said. “[The show has made me] a better dancer and a much stronger person. In addition to [dancing] 4 or 5 hours a day, I have to get on the treadmill before I get there for 40 minutes.”

Wow, sounds like Florence is kicking butt, but her hard work hasn’t kept her from being picked on for her less-than-youthful appearance by TV personality, Joan Rivers. Joan took to her Twitter to let everyone know she thinks Flo should retire her dancing shoes.

“Thinking about DWTS. Florence Henderson should be the next one voted off just for shaking those tired old boobs around the dance floor,” she wrote.

Ouch! Well, we’re still rooting for you, Florence! Who’s YOUR favorite on DWTS?

Aimee Curran, with reporting by Sarah Rose Attman

Pharmd10

Posted at 10:42 AM on May 22, 2012

Hello! kbfdebd interesting kbfdebd site! I’m really like it! Very, very kbfdebd good!

Pharmb225

Posted at 4:04 PM on March 22, 2012

Hello! fbecgke interesting fbecgke site! I’m really like it! Very, very fbecgke good!

Dea

Posted at 3:15 AM on October 12, 2010

I bet Florence is really great for Bristol. She’s so positive and real, unlike the poor girl’s real mom. Maybe she’s getting some support for just being herself instead of a political prop for mom. I’d be happy to see her stick around if she would just let it all go and really try to dance. In the clips before the dance all we see is Bristol’s resistance. What a waste.

Sherylove

Posted at 8:28 PM on October 11, 2010

Florence seems really motivated, and is really showing that she can keep up. I really hope she wins this season. I just bought her Team Florky Hoodiebuddie hoodie, and hope it brings her luck!

shle896

Posted at 6:08 PM on October 11, 2010

I’d like Bristol kicked off because I’m not sure why she is on there to begin with. What kind of a “star” is she? Her claim to fame is that horrible mother of hers and of course, getting knocked up and dropping out of high school. Not who I want my kids to look to as an example. Disgusting!

Martha

Posted at 1:10 AM on October 12, 2010

First: Bristol did NOT drop out of high school. She completed High School and received her diploma.

Second: She may have been “knocked up” or what we unholier than thou people call youthful mistake. She has turned a difficult situation into something positive and is doing great things.

As for your children…never speak too soon….sometimes you reap what you sow.

Suzy