'Jersey Shore's' Ronnie Magro Tweets the 'N Word' — Kick Him Off the Show!

Fri, February 5, 2010 11:00am EDT by 21 Comments

020510_ronnie_544

Someone needs to tell Ronnie that using the ‘N’ word ISN’T COOL!

Ronnie Magro, 23, star of MTV’s hit Jersey Shore thought it would be totally appropriate to use an incredibly offensive racial slur while tweeting at his fellow cast mate Vinny Guadagnino on Feb 4. “That’s what’s up my dude … miss you my n*gga,” he tweeted. “LA isn’t the same without you.”

Now that Ronnie is a public figure he needs to realize that he is also a role model. Even though he might have meant it in jest the issue is that the word itself has a deeper meaning for a lot of people. Several public figures have been admonished and humiliated for using racists remarks. For instance, Don Imus made his infamous remarks on his national radio show Imus in the Morning on Apr. 4 2007 when he called the Rutgers women’s basketball team, “nappy headed hoes.” His comments later lead to CBS’s canceling his morning show.

Rapper Eminem won’t even use the ‘n’ word in his music. “It’s just a word I don’t feel comfortable with,” he has said. “If a white kid came up to me and said it, I probably would look at him funny.” Eminem did use the word in tapes that he recorded as a teenager but he has apologized repeatedly for using it.

Who could forget actor Mel Gibson‘s anti-semtic comments that he made to a police officer when he was pulled over for a DUI in 2006 — his comments have haunted him since that incident. Michael Richards, (aka Kramer from Seinfeld) went on a racist tirade at the Laugh Factory in LA that same year, leading to nationwide outrage.

Ronnie did apologize later by tweeting, “I apologize … don’t get offended … was talking to my boy Vinny … settle down … I love you all.”

But that’s just not a good enough apology and it’s NEVER okay to ever use racist slurs.

Tell us what you think!

bean

Posted at 9:50 PM on June 5, 2011

as a black female in the age demographic that jersey shore is mostly targeted for, i have to say that this is such a non-issue that it doesn’t even deserve an article. he said it in the way that most blacks regard one another as a term of endearment in that vinny is his homeboy + he misses him. seriously, not a big deal. if you know jersey shore, you know ronnie + the rest of the cast + you can pretty much see for yourself that they’re not random racial slurists. ha! racial slurists…

oplease

Posted at 7:23 PM on March 4, 2011

GIVE ME A BREAK ! WE CAN HEAR IT ON CABLE TV AND IN MOVIES AND MUSIC BUT CANT TWEET A FRIEND WITHOUT BEING PREJUDICE! GET A LIFE! NAPPY HEAD HOS WAS A COMMENT TOWARD A BUNCH OF KIDS PLAYING BASKETBALL THAT IS MESSED UP! RONNIE TALKING TO HIS FRIEND CALLING HIM THAT WHO ISNT EVEN BLACK GIVE ME A BREAK!!! MOVE ON!!!!!

caitlinkas

Posted at 10:48 PM on August 25, 2010

OH MY GOODNESS! YOU SAID THE N WORD :O! nooooo wheres harriet tubman to stop racism when you needd herrrr

caitlinkas

Posted at 10:47 PM on August 25, 2010

HAHA all 23% of people saying to kick him off were black.

real guy

Posted at 10:37 PM on August 15, 2010

usually white people use the n word as a racial slur and i think thats how they generally use it. but in this case i dont think he used it as so!!! the only reason black people dont like white people from using the n word is cus they use it asa racial slur or pejorative term…if they us it like the way the jersey shore guy used it i dont think black people will have a problem with it!!! but face it most white people use it as a racial slur so i dont think most blacks will like whites using the N-word.(im a 32 year old black man)

Jersey Shore Tweets

Posted at 3:45 PM on August 14, 2010

I can see how people would be offended, but don’t think it is that big of a deal. Honestly non-black people use that word everyday. Times are changing….

To find out what everyone in the world is saying about Jersey Shore, visit http://jerseyshoretweets.com . Your source for Jersey Shore on Twitter.

Me123

Posted at 5:58 PM on August 9, 2010

No it’s not any better that’s actually worse. And so is the nerve you have to post that word alone.

SpokaneSteven

Posted at 3:06 PM on February 7, 2010

Maybe if he tried just speaking english, instead of gang speak, or whatever you call that silly slang language that you would not use, when speaking to someone you actually cared about, like your mother, there would not be an issue.

BumbleBee

Posted at 10:54 PM on February 5, 2010

He said it in an appropriate way. I’m not really cool with people using the word but it’s not like he called someone the N word out of anger and hatred.

I can’t really ride on him. We already know the man doesn’t make great choices in life…ahem Sammi

miqe47

Posted at 8:05 PM on February 5, 2010

I’m a 63 yr old Black male. When I first read that he had used the “N” word, I thought, what’s up with that? Just because these guys have a show that is getting popular, they just think they can get away with anything. BUT, when I read the quote, I was like, what is everybody trippin on. What he was saying was the same as, “miss you my dawg”, or “my brotha”, its said as a term of endearment, ie, my best friend,my homie, it’s just a reflection on how tight their friendship is. Again, when I first heard about this, I thought he had used it to refer to African Americans in a racist way. And since he didn’t, am I offended? not at all, no way. And anybody that is, needs to get a grip.

Peace Out,
Daniel M.

obgyn

Posted at 5:31 PM on February 5, 2010

I am Jewish and one thing my grandparents taught me was,
if I sit back and say it is no big deal when someone use
a racial slur towards another group, it’s just a matter of time before they get around to using it against my group.
He needs to be taken off the show, MTV should be consistent
and treat the situation the same as they would if he would have said something anti-semitic. Wrong is wrong, no matter how much you like someone. Would he still be on if he would have used the word “Fag”?

jennylynnm

Posted at 4:07 PM on February 5, 2010

While I find his comment inappropriate, I do not believe he should be kicked off the show. If he meant it in a derogatory way, which he didn’t, I would think differently. In this case, he wasn’t using his better judgement and an apology is suffice.

snuffy8370

Posted at 3:38 PM on February 5, 2010

A racial slur is a racial slur. He can’t use that word!!

lindsey

Posted at 3:16 PM on February 5, 2010

i agree with you chloe, there is never an appropriate time to use that word!

Jennifer Murray

Posted at 3:06 PM on February 5, 2010

Ronnie is absolutely ridic! He could have said a million and one different things to get his point across!

tswift_lovin

Posted at 3:00 PM on February 5, 2010

when ronnie tweeted totally inappropriately last night, it just solidified everything i think about that ridiculous show. why do we give so much attention to such trashy, undeserving, ignoramuses?

jersey shore sucks.

dbthekid

Posted at 2:00 PM on February 5, 2010

wtfrench makes a good point…w/out any knowledge of how that word is used now a days why open your mouth in the first place. so please do us a favor and keep it shut

Arroz Con Pollo

Posted at 1:36 PM on February 5, 2010

I actually commend Chloe for picking this up and taking a stand, while most other people choose to overlook it.

wtfrench

Posted at 1:28 PM on February 5, 2010

OMG! kill urself…and stop trying to get all political and historical, where it doesnt fit. There’s sooo many other things MTV allowed that wayy much more offensive thana douche tweeting. Ps: How are you writing a blog about popular culture and not even be aware or mention how the word is used now?!

MNM

Posted at 1:19 PM on February 5, 2010

lighten up.. if he was referring to an african american or using it in a derogatory way thats one thing.. and if he lost you as a fan for this slur why weren’t you pounding the pavement when the term “guido” was thrown around. So racial slurs are only acceptable when they pertain to lighter skinned people?? He was using it the same way every rapper does and he’s already apologized for it in case anyone did find it offensive.. get over it with this political correctness

gossipgirl74

Posted at 12:26 PM on February 5, 2010

that word is now considered a term of endearment. get with the program, Chloe.