Lamar Odom’s best friend Jamie Sangouthai sadly passed away at age 37 due to Chronic Intravenous Narcotism and an extremely rare flesh-eating disease called Necrotizing Fasciitis. HollywoodLife.com spoke EXCLUSIVELY to top doctor, Marc Kayem, who explained the life-threatening disease.
Jamie Sangouthai tragically lost his life to Necrotizing Fasciitis and Chronic Intravenous Narcotism on June 14 at just 37 years old. Lamar Odom, 35, and Khloe Kardashian‘s, 30, good friend unfortunately suffered from the horrifying flesh and muscle eating disease, which is an “aggressive infection that kills as many as 50%” of people who get it,” Dr. Marc Kayem explained to HollywoodLife.com EXCLUSIVELY. Here’s everything you need to know.
“Necrotitis Fasciitis is a very rare infectious disease. IV drug use is a significant risk factor for Necrotizing Fasciitis. Necrotizing Fasciitis is not really a skin disease, but more of a disease of the fascia, the thin covering of the muscle,” Dr. Kayem continues. “It is an aggressive infection that kills as many as 50% of those who get it. People who have weakened immune systems due to chronic diseases such as diabetes, cancer and HIV/AIDS are more likely to get HF. Healthy people rarely ever get this disease unless it is a very rare complication of surgery,” Dr. Kayem tells HollywoodLife.com EXCLUSIVELY, adding that treatment with a good antibiotic is necessary early on. So scary.
Jamie’s second cause of death was from Chronic Intravenous Narcotism, which translates into constant drug use by way of inserting needles into blood veins. It’s often associated with dirty needles, injections and drug use. “The term Chronic Intravenous Narcotism is not really a medical term. It is the same thing as saying IV Drug Abuser. IV drug abuse can be fatal. It is possible that a very dirty needle could pass bacteria into the bloodstream, or directly into the muscle.”
However, Chronic Intravenous Narcotism doesn’t typically cause Necrotitis Fasciitis, Dr. Kayem explains, adding, “It would have to be such a deep needle puncture that it penetrates the muscle. Typically a dirty needle infects the bloodstream, not the muscle. A drug overdose would more likely be the cause of death than chronic intravenous narcotism.”
Our thoughts and prayers remain with Jamie’s family, friends and loved ones during this difficult time.
— Julianne Ishler, Reporting by Sandra Clark