Jamie Sangouthai passed away at just 37 years-old on June 14, and now HollywoodLife.com has EXCLUSIVELY learned the cause of death after talking to the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office and the LA County Dept. of Medical Examiner. Sadly, Lamar Odom’s best friend passed away from symptoms ‘associated with drug use.’
Jamie Sangouthai tragically died due to Necrotizing Fasciitis and Chronic Intravenous Narcotism on June 14, according to Lt. Fred Corral from the Los Angeles County Department Of Medical Examiner. Lamar Odom, 35, and Khloe Kardashian‘s, 30, dear friend was a constant presence in their lives, frequently appearing on both Khloe & Lamar and Keeping Up With The Kardashians. It’s shocking and saddening to confirm what took his young life too soon.
“There are two causes: A.) Necrotizing Fasciitis. This is a skin disease and flesh eating disease. And B.) Chronic Intravenous Narcotism. This is associated with dirty needles, injections and drug use,” Lt. Fred Corral from the Los Angeles County Department Of Medical Examiner told HollywoodLife.com in an EXCLUSIVE statement. “He went to hospital complaining about swelling and pain in his left arm after using intravenous drugs several times a day for several years,” Craig Harvey, Los Angeles County Coroner Spokesperson, told us in an official statement on Wednesday, June 17.
“The infection in his arm was so severe, that emergency surgery was performed and his condition continued to decline,” the coroner confirmed to HollywoodLife.com. “He subsequently died.” Not only was Jamie’s death incredibly sudden, but it also sounds like it may have been very painful. So sad.
For those of you that are unaware, Necrotizing Fasciitis is a rare and very serious bacterial condition that spreads quickly and kill’s soft tissue. Chronic Intravenous Narcotism translates into constant drug use by way inserting needles into blood veins.
“We’re not doing a standard autopsy on Mr. Sangouthai,” the coroner confirmed in his statement. “We’re closing the case based upon his known medical history. He went into the hospital on Jun. 9 and he died on Jun. 14. There are adequate medical records about his care and treatment at the hospital.”
“He didn’t die of a drug overdose,” the coroner also made very clear in his official statement. “[Jamie] died from complication of the mechanisms he used to introduce the drugs to his system, i.e., dirty needles. After years of using dirty needles, he contracted a skin disease known as necrotizing fasciitis and it literally destroyed most of the skin and muscle tissues in his body and ultimately led to his death.”
As HollywoodLife.com previously reported, Jamie was taken to a Los Angeles hospital after an unidentified person called 911 on his behalf. Jamie’s cause of death was initially thought to be a heroin overdose, according to TMZ, but now the official reason has been revealed and recorded by the coroner. Sadly, Jamie’s troubles were no secret as he and Lamar, his best friend since high school (the two grew up in Queens, NY together), both fought their demons together.
Lt. Corral also revealed that Jamie’s body is now in his family’s custody as they make their final arrangements to say goodbye. There is still no word on whether or not his close friends, Khloe and Lamar, will be a part of the funeral and/or memorial.
HollywoodLifers, are you surprised about the cause of Jamie’s death?
— Samantha Wilson, with reporting by Eric Ray Mitchell