‘MythBusters’ Stars Kari Byron, Grant Imahara & Tory Belleci Leaving Show

Fri, August 22, 2014 8:57pm EDT by 21 Comments 50,044 Article Views
Mythbusters Cast
Getty

It’s the end of an era: Kari Byron, Grant Imahara and Tory Belleci are leaving ‘MythBusters’ ahead of its 10th season.

Arguably Discovery’s biggest and most mainstream hit, MythBusters will be entering its 10th season without beloved cast members Kari ByronGrant Imahara, and Tory Belleci. While every member of the cast was incredibly respectful as they announced their departure, it’s still the end of an era and a sad, sad day.

‘MythBusters’ Cast Changes: Kari Byron, Grant Imahara & Tory Belleci Are Leaving

As Season 9 of MythBusters wrapped on August 21, hosts Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman gave the following announcement, alternating portions of the speech:

“It’s not only the end of the episode, and not only the end of the season. It is also the end of an era. This is the very last episode of MythBusters to feature the incredible trio of Kari Byron, Tory Belleci, and Grant Imahara.

“This next season, we’re going back to our origins which is just Adam and me.

“I want to take a moment to thank you guys for the incredible work over the last ten years. You’ve given literally your blood, sweat and tears in the name of science, and it has been a total pleasure not only to work with you but to call you our friends.

“We wish you the very best of luck, and thank you.

“Bye, guys.”

Well, that’s one way to announce cast departures.

Kari, Tory, and Grant each took to Twitter following the airing of the episode to confirm the sad reality:

‘MythBusters’ Has Been Nominated For Five Emmy Awards — In What ‘New Direction’ Will The Show Go?

It’s great to see that all of their messages were so overwhelmingly positive, but we still can’t help but be disappointed. Grant joined the show in 2005, and Kari and Tory in 2004 — decade-long runs are nothing to sneeze at, and clearly something had been working over at Discovery for the show to have had such a long run as it did.

Not only did the ratings keep the show on the air, but so too did enormous critical acclaim — the show has been nominated five times for Primetime Emmy Awards!

‘Mythbusters': Departing Cast Thanks Fans For ‘Outpouring’ Support

While rumors of behind-the-scenes drama have always dogged the cast, Jamie revealed in an interview with Access Hollywood that that’s basically what happens when you work with the same people for 10 years: “We get on each other’s nerves and everything all the time, but whenever that happens, we say so and we deal with it and move on.

“There are times that we really dislike dealing with each other, but we make it work.”

And surely, on-set infighting couldn’t have been the only reason — if a reason at all — for three longtime hosts to get the axe.

In any case, Discovery is obviously making some big moves and we’re looking forward to what Season 10 of MythBusters will bring. All the best to Grant, Kari and Tory moving forward!

HollywoodLifers, are you upset by this news? Will you miss Grant, Kari and Tory? Or do you think that MythBusters needed a shake-up? Let us know!

– Amanda Michelle Steiner

More TV News:

1. Jennifer Lopez On Her Sex Life: ‘I’m Not One To Whore Around’
  2. Bryan Cranston & Aaron Paul Reunite In Hilarious Emmys Promo — Watch
  3. ‘Teen Wolf': After Surviving A Fire, Exactly What Is Deputy Parrish?

Al Reichert

Posted at 4:02 PM on September 20, 2014

Will miss the three amigos a lot. We deserve an answer, and allow them a good bye. Even when Jessie took over when Kari had her baby, she didn’t even get to say good bye. Glad she is doing OK. These three will pop up again, hopefully on another network so I can choose them over the two old farts.

Russ

Posted at 9:31 PM on September 14, 2014

Mythbusters will not be the same without the haphazardous trio of Tory, Grant and Kari! Hopefully they will band together and come up with their own show. Honestly if they were on opposite Jamie and Adam and I could only watch one it would be the trio!
My prediction is that the Mythbusters ratings will drop drastically in the 10th season to the point of not even being an 11th season. These decitions sometimes have real negative consequences.
Good luck Tory, Grant and Kari.

Jim

Posted at 9:10 PM on September 14, 2014

Don’t think cannon ball was reason. With so many explosions going on almost every week, we expected things like that to happen. No, something else happened. As a long time fan of the show, come on Discovery, let us know what the real reason was.
I won’t stop watching but since I have watched for so long I think I should be told your reason for dropping them.

Roger Garrett

Posted at 3:08 PM on September 7, 2014

I would rather they had gotten rid of Jamie Hyneman. He’s always such an old fart, not an ounce of humor in him. He always looks like he wishes he was anywhere but on MythBusters.

tasha

Posted at 10:58 AM on September 3, 2014

they are the only reason I watch the show don’t even like the other 2 they suck!!! should of canned them not kari tori and grant….. wont be watching mythbusters any more but if tori kari and grant get there own show will def be watching that

Kerrie Lane

Posted at 3:49 PM on September 2, 2014

So off camera what are Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman saying about this? Or are they the reason pink slips were handed out?

Ben

Posted at 9:29 AM on August 31, 2014

It’s rather sad to see them leave, the show will definitely not be the same without them. It’s seems kind of odd that all three of them were “axed” and not just a particular individual. I knew from the beginning when they started breaking up into two teams that it would eventually come to something like this, either them getting their own show or simply getting fired. I also have a feeling this has something to do with that accident that occurred some months back with the cannon. Unfortunately, I think that mistake was unforgivable due to the extent of damage and the possibility of injury or even death. Hopefully that is not the case. Hopefully this “new direction” means their own show despite a Discovery Channel representative saying something along the lines like we wish them the best.

j

Posted at 12:46 PM on August 27, 2014

Im thanking its cause of them shooting a cannon ball that went through a house bounced off another and finely hit a car. pure speculation but yea im sure that had a big part in it…

kcm

Posted at 2:59 AM on August 27, 2014

Will Not Be Watching Any Longer. They were a major part of why I was hooked on the show.

mary combs

Posted at 9:53 PM on August 23, 2014

Why ? No reason no explanation. They did not even get to say good bye themselves. After 10 years should have been more. Have been a fan since day one. But this is a shock. Why ? just Why! Good Luck Kari, Grant, Tory.

Jenni S.

Posted at 9:50 PM on August 23, 2014

Nuuuuuuuuuu!!! I love these three! Say it ain’t so, Discovery!! Have watched show from first session and I love Jamie and Adam, but it won’t be the same without Kari, Tory, and Grant!! Wishing the three if them happiness and all the best in the future. But I think this is a mistake. Just sayin’n

Glad they're gone

Posted at 5:00 PM on August 23, 2014

The only one of the 3 leaving/fired that I liked was the Asian guy. The girl REALLY got on my nerves.

Ashley

Posted at 11:31 AM on August 23, 2014

Grant, Tory, and Kari are the only reason to watch Mythbusters. They deserve a new show.

Andrew Parris

Posted at 9:06 AM on August 23, 2014

An Open Letter to Discovery Communications, Beyond International Group and the Mythbusters

Thursday night’s jaw dropping end-of-show/end-of-season/end-of-an-era announcement by hosts Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman that the Mythbusters’ Build Team of Kari Byron, Tory Belleci, and Grant Imahara were leaving the show was by no small account, earth shattering to the millions of Mythbusters fans.

As a day 1 fan who’s name was actually uttered aloud by Grant on Mythbusters (“Knock Your Socks Off”) as a thank you for providing test materials, you would be hard pressed to find a greater follower, fan, and backer of all things of Adam, Jamie, Kari, Tory, Grant, Scottie, and even Jessi! They typified what the Discovery Channel was about, discovering the world around us. I will always be indebted to you all for the joy and entertainment you gave me, my family, and, the world. (Thank you!)

While I am deeply disappointed and troubled by the sudden and unexpected departure of the Kari, Tory and Grant, I understand the realities of producing a TV show in today’s dog-eat-cheap-reality-show environment. I totally and unilaterally disagree with it, but I at least understand the reasoning and the business.

Which brings me to my concerns for the Discovery Channel as a whole. After Myhtbusters, there is not one other show on the Discovery Channel that even remotely catches my interest. Deadliest Catch is no long relevant, not since Capt. Phil’s death. (Johnny Cash’s haunting ballad still echoes in my mind.) Dirty Jobs is so long gone I wouldn’t be surprised if one of your competitors try’s to reboot it. (Disgusting Pastimes now on Nat Geo!) Shark Week is so worn out and reality-ized it’s a sure miss for me.

The rest is semi-staged and unscripted (wink-wink) reality shows that pander to the intellectually shallow end of the viewer pool. For shame!!!! You’re the frig’n DISCOVERY CHANNEL for God’s sake! What happened?!?!?

Well, I’m not so naive as that. I know what happened. RTVS (Reality TV Syndrome). Everyone caught it. Everyone embraced it. It was great for the bottom line. The viewers accepted it and sort of watched it. But remember, RTVS is what brought us Honey Boo Boo. (I weep for mankind…) Need I say more?

So this is my call to arms to the Discovery Channel to reject RTVS and once again take up the mantle of truly entertaining and educating television programming. Return to your rightful place as a shinning example of what good television can be. Challenge our minds! BE GREAT AGAIN!!! (Please!)

In ending, I’d first like to send all my best wishes and prayers for success and happiness to Kari, Tory, and Grant. I hope I get the honor of working you all in the future. If so, dinner is on me. Second, to Adam & Jamie. Once a Mythbusters fan, ALWAYS a Mythbusters fan. See you guys next season. Love to all.

Sincerely,

Andrew Parris
Houston, Texas

Jenni S.

Posted at 9:53 PM on August 23, 2014

Well said, my friend, well said!

Ben

Posted at 9:38 AM on August 31, 2014

I must agree with 100%. This was the only show I was ever entertained by for the past 10 years. The Discovery Channel has definitely gone down the drain. I too wish the best for the three great Mythvusters.

I also posted above my speculations, if you care to read it.

Ben

Posted at 9:41 AM on August 31, 2014

Oops, of course I misspelled *Mythbusters*

Ted

Posted at 8:34 AM on August 23, 2014

If those three go……..I go. So long Mythbusters.

Dan E. Boy

Posted at 7:28 PM on August 23, 2014

bye.

krissy

Posted at 11:19 PM on August 22, 2014

Wow…that really sucks. The show definitely won’t be the same…:-(. The 3 of them are much more entertaining than Adam and Jaime…

jason