‘World’s Toughest Job': Controversial Mother’s Day Viral Video — Watch

Wed, April 16, 2014 4:34pm EDT by 9 Comments

In a new viral video, a handful of strangers participate in what they believe is an interview for a very difficult, very time-consuming job. They soon find out that the interview is a hoax — and instead a message to spread the word about all of the hard work moms do on a daily basis. However, what was meant to be a sentimental video in honor of Mother’s Day has instead managed to infuriate viewers all over the country.

A touching video about Mother’s Day has sparked major controversy after going viral.

‘World’s Toughest Job’ Video Sparks Controversy

You can definitely call this a prank gone wrong.

After a job listing was posted online for a Director of Communications position for an anonymous company, a handful of people applied for the job. During their interview, which was conducted through a video chat, they found out that the job was a 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, with no lunch breaks and most importantly — no paycheck.

Of course the interviewees were astounded by the audacity of their interviewer, and some even declared that the demands of the job they were interviewing for were “illegal.”

Then, the interviewer made a shocking confession: billions of people already work this job every day. Who are they? Moms.

The video takes a touching turn, with the interviewees shouting out their own moms and even talking about the struggles their moms dealt with while raising them. However, not all viewers were touched by the video and instead, they were infuriated.

Critics Slam ‘World’s Toughest Job’ Video

One mom, Mary Elizabeth Williams, at Salon.com claims she hasn’t rolled her eyes this many times in a while.

“The fact that I have had and am raising children is not a résumé item. It’s not something I ‘gave up’ my life for,” the infuriated mother wrote in an article posted to the site. “It’s sure as hell not a competitive act, one in which I somehow get to beat out every person who isn’t female or doesn’t have kids for best and most.”

Smriti Sinha from PolicyMic.com wrote her own piece on the video, claiming that it was offensive and not at all good for the female gender.

“[...] using superlatives to leverage women against each other — stay-at-home moms versus working moms versus women who use childcare versus women who don’t have children — is not the best way to elevate our gender,” she wrote.

So now it’s your turn, HollyMoms — What do YOU think about the “World’s Toughest Job” video? Let us know your thoughts below!

– Lauren Cox

More Related News:

1. School Administrators Sing Vanilla Ice To Announce Snow Day — Watch
  2. Kristen Bell’s ‘Snowman’ Video: Amazing ‘Frozen’ Song Using 3 Voices
  3. Adorable Video Of 4-Year-Old Crying Over ‘Say Something’ Goes Viral

mark

Posted at 2:52 AM on June 18, 2014

Sigh-when will women get over themselves? They are forever patting themselves on the back.
Toughest job in the world? As Bill Biurr says, “Any job you can do in your pyjamas can’t be too hard!”

BDZack

Posted at 4:53 PM on May 11, 2014

Being a PARENT (mom or dad) is a difficult job, no doubt – but I don’t think it is the MOST difficult job in the world. I am a parent – 5 times over (a dad) – I work full-time and I dad full-time. I make sure my wife gets days off, girls nights out, time to herself and time away from me and the kids – so there are breaks and vacations for both of us and it is extremely REWARDING. So the whole premise of the video is flawed and over-stated. Sure, being a parent is HARD – but is is a choice and it IS rewarding and should be respected – but not martyred. Ugh.

Richie Brown

Posted at 6:06 PM on May 10, 2014

Not sure why people find this offensive….but even if you do find it offensive ..it doesn’t change the fact that it is true .. Mom is the toughest job … it doesn’t matter if a mom works –or uses daycare -heck almost all moms eventually send their kids off to school … that doesn’t change the fact that they are still moms 24 hrs a day 7 days a week… 365 days a year …. and even those women who are not moms ..I’m pretty sure they have moms ..and must appreciate the difficulty of the role because of all their moms did for them. Is it offensive to some women who choose to work and not have kids? Not sure why ..but if it is, too bad .. your job is simply not as difficult as a mom’s job …I don’t care what job you have … you can be offended …..again…. that doesn’t change the truth. If you don’t think Moms have the most difficult job in the world ..don’t whine about it on a website…go home and tell your own mom her job isn’t all that difficult compared to yours……yeah…didn’t think so.

Rebecca Rivera

Posted at 2:27 PM on May 11, 2014

AMEN SISTER!! SO TRUE

Ann Long

Posted at 12:58 AM on May 10, 2014

Do people not listen anymore. Do they not remember the great tear jerker ads from Hallmark years ago. This was a great video. The only people I can imagine NOT liking this are those who treated their mothers badly and aren’t willing to admit all the things their moms did for them. If I had gone to that interview not knowing it was a farce, I probably would have said “Are you kidding me!” But the second I find out what my reaction would have been … a very teary eyed.. “you are so right. Thank you to whoever thought this up.” .. Forget about the illegal stuff. Say thank you to your moms … if it’s not too late

Rebecca Rivera

Posted at 2:29 PM on May 11, 2014

WOOT WOOT! SPEAK THE TRUTH :)

Trish

Posted at 6:41 AM on April 19, 2014

I loved it… the idiots that thinks it offensive obviously have no humour in their lives and obviously feel guilty for not doing all the things the role insists you do!!! I got it half way through the video and knew it was something to do with us awesome mums!! – but i know I am not a perfect mummy!! But I do love my child and that’s the most important thing!!

Krystle Lindsay

Posted at 2:17 PM on April 17, 2014

I dont find this offending. One part with giving up your life as a mom isnt try for all. I still have a life. But being a mom is a 24/7 365 days a year job. And when they revealed that the job was fake to the people and said its moms that hold this job title its true and I teared a little bit. I think it could have been done a little differently but over all I find this a touching different view of being a mom. And I am proud to be a mom and love my mom to death with that said I love you mom and thank you for all you do and have done.

Elizabeth

Posted at 10:21 PM on April 16, 2014

I think people are waaayyy to sensitive these days. I don’t see anything there that pits woman against woman, implies that working moms/stay-home moms/moms who use day care are any different. They’re not, I’ve done all three, they are all equally challenging and equally rewarding, not always in equal amounts. This isn’t meant to take away from women who are NOT moms. They have jobs that are challenging and rewarding, too. This if for Mother’s Day. It’s a commentary on the time moms give TO us, not the lives they GIVE UP for us.
This is just “Thanks Mom.”