‘How I Met Your Mother': Shocking Final Scene Filmed 9 Years Ago

Tue, April 1, 2014 9:37am EST by 10 Comments

While the rest of us were SHOCKED by that last scene in the ‘How I Met Your Mother,’ some of the cast knew all along how the show would come to an end — they literally filmed it nine years ago!

Everyone is talking about the jaw-dropping season finale of How I Met Your Mother, which aired on March 31. However, David Henrie and Lyndsy Fonseca– or you may know them as Ted’s kids — weren’t surprised. Wondering why they looked exactly the same in the 2014 finale as they did in season one in 2005? Well they filmed that final scene during season one!

‘How I Met Your Mother’ Filmed Finale During Season 1

“We shot this last little section nine years ago,” Lyndsy, 27, told People. “It was so long ago, I don’t really remember what I said.”

‘HIMYM’ Star David Henrie On The Finale: It Ended How It Should Have

That little section she’s speaking about (spoiler alert) was when Ted (Josh Radnor) told his kids “and that is how I met your mother,” and they were shocked and baffled by the fact that the story was actually about his love for “Aunt Robin.”

“Mom’s been gone for six years now,” the daughter told her dad, giving him her blessing. “It’s time.”

Lyndsy and her on-screen brother kept the huge secret under wraps all this time! However, while David admits his family watches the show, Lyndsy waited until March 31 to actually watch the finale.

“I was just in the editing room doing some [voiceover] for one little line, and I purposefully didn’t want to see the whole clip of what happened,” she said. “I wanted to save it to see it like everybody else.”

Why Did They Film It So Early?

So, why did Ted’s kids film that ending so early? Well, it totally makes sense.

“David was growing so fast. He grew like four shoe sizes and his voice dropped, so it was very apparent,” Lyndsy said, adding that they also shot a bunch of generic reactions in the beginning to be used throughout the series.

“When we started, I wasn’t even old enough to drive,” David said, now 24. “Now, I just bought my first house. I come home . . . and my cousins are watching the show. It is always a funny feeling. They always say, ‘Baby David is on TV!'”

Lyndsy said she’s “really proud” to have been part of HIMYM. We’ve got to say we’re extremely impressed that both David, who was 15 when the show began, and Lyndsy, who was 16 when the show began, both kept a huge secret for NINE years!

However, they’re not the only ones who knew. Cobie Smulders, who played Robin, knew about it all along, too.

“They had actually planned the ending during our pilot,” she said on March 31 on The Late Show With David Letterman. “They shot some scenes with the two children, who are now in their mid-20s. It’s kind of amazing that it’s been nine years, and it’s come full circle.”

Are you shocked that the kids kept it a secret for so long, HollywoodLifers? Let us know!

— Emily Longeretta

More ‘HIMYM’ News:

1. ‘How I Met Your Mother’: Cast Gets Emotional After Series Finale
  2. ‘HIMYM’: Was Cobie Smulders Shocked By Series Finale? — Interview
  3. ‘HIMYM’ Series Finale: Fans React To Shocking Ending On Twitter

laylaliv

Posted at 10:24 PM on December 3, 2014

The thing is, you can’t plan a show’s finale in its first season. When you get into the 6th and 7th seasons of a show, plot lines and characters have developed so much that they barely resemble those of the first season. Viewers become invested in where the story has gone, not where the writers intended it to go. Thats why the ending was so disappointing. The producers didn’t anticipate the Barney/Robin plot line, but it happened nonetheless, and that’s the plot line that the audience clung to.

arifas

Posted at 7:11 PM on September 25, 2014

“shocked”? I don’t think anyone was shocked, most of us saw it coming from early on.

waldonfsxcb

Posted at 11:40 AM on April 2, 2014

Are you still single? If you think black and white is a beautiful combination. JOIN
—–>♥ BlackWhitëHub.COM ♥ site is for you. This is a serious Interracial dating services and mixed race dating site dedicated to those seeking real love. For black men dating white women,white men looking for black women. Millions of singles have joined it. What are you waiting for?vbmvbmrtuyeru

Sophi Gom

Posted at 11:02 AM on April 2, 2014

66Since I started with my online business I earn $58 every 15 minutes. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out.

>>>>>>>> HECK44.COM

not watching this

Posted at 7:33 AM on April 2, 2014

and i thought seinfeld’s ending was bad.

Esme Santiago

Posted at 9:10 PM on April 1, 2014

I felt jerked around. I was invested in Barney/Robin after the last few seasons of the writers showing us why they should be together, so a 2 episode finale was not enough for me to let go of that. Adored Ted with the Mother and did not want her to die an early death. I didn’t watch this show for reality – I just look at the news for that.

ruthmoseley

Posted at 6:34 PM on April 1, 2014

what Connie implied I’m surprised that a stay at home mom can profit $9440 in one month on the computer . blog here

>>>>>>>> WWW.B­­A­­­Y­­­­9­­­­­1.C­O­M

Mister Baja

Posted at 11:14 AM on April 1, 2014

he was underage while licking her………….

dnkdsfnf