‘HIMYM’ Star David Henrie On The Finale: It Ended How It Should Have

Tue, April 1, 2014 8:13pm EDT by 7 Comments

Many fans are furious about ‘How I Met Your Mother’s’ shocking finale on March 31 — but ‘HIMYM’ star David Henrie, who played Ted’s son on the show, thought it couldn’t have been more perfect! ‘It ended on a nice note,’ David tells HollywoodLife.com EXCLUSIVELY.

How I Met Your Mother fans were shocked to find out that the jaw-dropping final scene featuring Ted’s kids (David Henrie and Lyndsy Fonseca) was actually filmed nine years ago during the show’s first season. Can you believe that David and Lyndsy knew all along that Ted would end up with [SPOILER]?! Now that it’s all over, David is finally opening up about the controversial ending that he kept under wraps for nearly a decade — and what he has to say might surprise you!

David Henrie On ‘HIMYM’ Finale: I Thought Robin Was The Mother

Nine years ago, David sat down with HIMYM showrunners Carter Bays and Craig Thomas to film what would eventually become a part of one of the most hotly anticipated finales in TV history. David signed a non-disclosure agreement that prohibited him from blabbing the secret at the time — “I didn’t even tell my mother who the mother was,” he says — but now he’s free to tell the tale!

“I have known all along what was going to happen, but I didn’t quite remember it. In my head I pictured it a little differently,” David tells HollywoodLife.com in an EXCLUSIVE interview. “I remember sitting down with the two showrunners and the whole set was evacuated. It was only me and the two showrunners. One of them turned to me and said, ‘I’m going to tell you guys the ending of the show. It’s gotta be Robin, right?'”

So crazy! But while David knew the gist of the ending, after nine years, the details had become a little blurry.

“We shot the scene and I totally forgot what the sister said about [Ted being in love with] Aunt Robin. I don’t think Lyndsy even remembers either. So in my mind this whole time I was thinking, there’s some twist, Robin’s the mom.”

Now THAT would have been really twisted!

David Henrie On ‘HIMYM’ Finale: Series Ended How It Should Have

So what does David think of the ending after all these years?

“It ended on a nice note and things ended how they should have,” he says. “There’s hope for Robin, Barney’s going to become a better man.” And as for the backlash over the finale, David jokes that disgruntled fans should “get over it!”

“People should be happy that they had nine years of getting to know these amazing characters on TV. Stop being greedy,” he says, laughing. “Be grateful.”

And even if fans aren’t happy with the ending, there are plenty of other moments to love from the finale.

“I think they sent a nice message to the audience with the Barney character … with his daughter. If you didn’t choke up in that moment, you have no heart. It was a beautiful moment. That was my favorite moment, seeing him look into his daughter’s eyes.”

David’s other favorite part about the finale? Now that the cat’s out of the bag, he won’t have HIMYM fans pressing him for answers anymore!

“I’m happy that I won’t be getting harassed at bars anymore,” he jokes.

So HollywoodLifers, are YOU happy with the series finale of HIMYM? Vote and share your thoughts in the comments below!

– Tierney McAfee

More ‘How I Met Your Mother’ News:

1. ‘How I Met Your Mother’ Mother May Be Dead — Fans React
  2. ‘HIMYM’: Exes Invade Ted & Robin’s Romantic Trip Down Memory Lane
  3. ‘HIMYM’: The Mother Reveals How She Met Ted On 200th Episode

Lee anders

Posted at 12:56 AM on May 13, 2014

Robin didnt try again with barney because she felt for some time that Ted was the one she shoud’ve ended up with. Remember she only married Barney because Ted convinced her with a speech at the day of the ceremony. The last episodes prepared for the finale. Loved the finale. Deal, people! Watch the pilot and the last episode: fits perfectly!

endall

Posted at 5:49 PM on April 3, 2014

This Quote: “One of them turned to me and said, ‘I’m going to tell you guys the ending of the show. It’s gotta be Robin, right?’”

This article and this quote is proof of the fundamental problem of the whole thing. First of all, the showrunner poses the QUESTION, “It’s gotta be Robin, right?” meaning that at that point even HE’s not sure. Second, they filmed that scene at the start of the series 9 years ago, BECAUSE their endgame and their main goal of this WHOLE THING was for Ted to end up with Robin. This essentially means that the mother really WAS an after thought (even further cemented by the fact that they didn’t even cast the wonderful Cristin Milioti as The Mother until 2013).

Basically, I’m saying that by the way they framed it, Ted didn’t end up with Robin because Tracy died–They killed off Tracy so that Ted could end up with Robin.

They can defend it all they want but, plain and simple, they made a bad call. A REALLY bad call.

[Sorry if all of this has been said already, I'm just starting to realize new things myself; I can't stop thinking about this horrible, horrible ending.]

Dan (@chickenfried234)

Posted at 11:27 PM on April 2, 2014

You shouldn’t be so callous towards the loyal fans that tuned in and allowed you to collect a paycheck.

somethings

Posted at 3:19 PM on April 2, 2014

Who in their right mind would be happy?

It’s hard to get over it when the writers decide to sell out the final season. A happy ending like that literally shows that they wanted to write out the mother from the beginning. Why show her at all?

And Barney’s character? He had a moment with his nephew before in a previous season. That was FAR more heartwarming than some slut’s child. HUNDREDS OF WOMEN LATER AND SUDDENLY HE GETS ONE KNOCKED UP?

Barney was better than that, so much better. He was already becoming a better man. To feel the need to make him better by making him shallow and regress? What the hell?

9 years to get to know characters? Wrong. Everything that really happened from season 5~9 is written off within the FINAL episode. All that progress everyone made. Robin distances herself and ends up jealous on Ted and had awkward moments between Barney and Ted within the final episode.

They could’ve made the finale play much differently, instead, the whole season was wasted on a failed marriage. ANYONE would be outraged. Who the hell follows it for 22 out of 24 episodes, all for a wedding to take up that much time? If they had more episodes like “How Your Mother Met Me”, then it’d be an awesome show. After the finale, it’s just okay.

jaysee

Posted at 10:06 AM on April 3, 2014

I agree.. That is not the finale they deserved. Ted being after the one for so long, finds a girl who died, and tries to go back to his ex girlfriend and his best friend’s ex wife? Robin and Barney broke up because she was traveling so much, and now she either stopped traveling or Ted was ready to jump on board with that, which I don’t buy considering he has 2 kids. And if Robin stopped traveling, wouldn’t she and Barney had given it another shot?

And Barney became a better man, 9 seasons doing that, only to go back to his piece of crap life with a slut’s kid.

I expected more for out characters in the end

Mister Baja

Posted at 12:15 AM on April 2, 2014

so dull moment al along……….

reteksqbcb

Posted at 9:40 PM on April 1, 2014

.Are you still single ? You are not alone. Free join~~~ ♥ MixëdLuv.Ćom ♥ ~~ Millions of singles have joined it.. This is a Serious interracial dating site for black and white singles seeking relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more. Single black people meeting single white people is why we are here.Hundreds of new interracial singles who same as you join here everyday. This common interest will help make dating easier, more effective, and more successful.Have a try.ZCBZXBZ