Deaf Woman, 40, Hears For The First Time — See The Heartwarming Video

Fri, March 28, 2014 10:59pm EDT by 12 Comments

An incredible new video captures the moment when a 40-year-old English woman who had been deaf since birth hears her own voice for the very first time. Watch her emotional reaction right here!

Joanne Milne was born deaf, and also began to lose her vision in her 20s due to a rare medical condition known as Usher Syndrome. But after 40 years of living in silence, Joanne was able to hear for the first time after being fitted with cochlear implants in February. Her mother filmed the life-changing moment that instantly became an Internet sensation.

Deaf Woman Hearing For The First Time — 40-Year-Old Finally Hears Sound

In the emotional video filmed by her mother, Joanne bursts into tears of shock and joy as she listens to a nurse read the days of the week. It is the first time she has ever heard another person speak, and the first time she’s ever heard her own voice. It’s hard not to be overwhelmed by this truly moving clip.

“The switch-on was the most emotional and overwhelming experience of my life and I’m still in shock now,” Joanne said in an interview with The Telegraph. “The first day everybody sounded robotic and I have to learn to recognize what these sounds are as I build a sound library in my brain.”

“Hearing things for the first time is so, so emotional, from the ping of a light switch to running water. I can’t stop crying,” she added. “I can already foresee how it’s going to be life changing and the implants will get better and better over time, I’m so, so happy.”

And we are so, so happy for her! What an amazing moment.

Joanne Milne: This Is A Massive Leap For A Deaf Person

Joanne, who is also blind, said the procedure has strengthened her senses and helped her become more aware of her surroundings.

“I’m also attempting to use the telephone at one point but it’s one step at a time as it’s all so daunting. It’s the small things that are huge life changing experiences to me right now and this will probably last a few months,” she said. “Over the last 48 hours hearing someone laughing behind me, the birds twittering and just being with friends — they didn’t have to tap my arm or leg to get my attention, which is a massive leap for a deaf person.”

So HollywoodLifers, were you touched by Joanne’s video? Have you ever seen anything like it? Let us know!

– Tierney McAfee

More Heartwarming Videos:

1. Taylor Swift Visits Young Cancer Patients In Heartwarming Video
  2. Beyonce Sings & Dances With Cancer Survivor, 12, At Her Concert

natiLee

Posted at 11:09 PM on March 30, 2014

Reblogged this on natiLee.

Mel Rose

Posted at 8:44 PM on March 30, 2014

What a beautiful moment.And for those of you using this and other sites to sell your crap just shame on you. Shame on you

BIM

Posted at 9:41 PM on March 29, 2014

Maybe you should watch the movie Helen Keller.

madlnram

Posted at 7:05 PM on March 29, 2014

How could she speak fluently right away if she had never heard speech?

hazenwendy (@hazenwendy1)

Posted at 1:19 PM on March 29, 2014

like Nicole answered I’m startled that a stay at home mom able to get paid $8529 in 1 month on the internet . go now

>>>>>>>> WWW.B­­A­­­Y­­­­9­­­­­1.C­O­M

seagerigxbc

Posted at 11:29 AM on March 29, 2014

.Are you still single ? You are not alone. Free join~~~ ♥ MixëdLuv.Ćom ♥ ~~ Millions of singles have joined it.. This is a Serious interracial dating site for black and white singles seeking relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more. Single black people meeting single white people is why we are here.Hundreds of new interracial singles who same as you join here everyday. This common interest will help make dating easier, more effective, and more successful.Have a try.bbbbbbbbbbbbzxb

dunjav2013

Posted at 9:03 AM on March 29, 2014

Reblogged this on dunjav.

newageoftruth

Posted at 6:15 AM on March 29, 2014

Reblogged this on newageoftruth.

clintonsavala (@clintonsavala)

Posted at 3:14 AM on March 29, 2014

I basically make about………$6,000k-$8,000k a month online………. It’s enough to comfortably replace my old jobs income, especially considering I only work about 10-13 hours a week from home. go to this site home tab for more detail ..WWW.J­­­­O­­­­B­­­­S­­­­­C­­­­­S.C­O­M

William M. Beal

Posted at 2:57 AM on March 29, 2014

money is very important for every person.I earn a lot lo money through online jobs.I earn at least 90$ per hour,I work at least 5 to 6 hours a day and fulfill my all necessities.if you also can get an online job plz visit the site given below..

W­­W­­W.­­V­­O­­X­­­­J­­O­­B.­­C­­O­­M­­

Mister Baja

Posted at 12:21 AM on March 29, 2014

………..an actress?

BeeBee

Posted at 11:14 PM on March 28, 2014

This is a great story and video.