‘The Walking Dead’ Recap: Drinking Games With Beth & Daryl

Sun, March 2, 2014 10:00pm EDT by 15 Comments
Walking Dead Daryl and Beth Drinking
Courtesy of AMC

kurt123456789

Posted at 6:00 PM on March 3, 2014

Daryl Dixon was a respected and loyal member of a survivor group that included Beth, Beth’s sister and her father. They all went through a lot together and formed a small community. But thank goodness the greasy, “redneck”, weirdo, snake eater (grocery was closed) is asexual because otherwise when given the chance he would’ve raped Beth? Like most guy’s that went through what he did with her? Nice.

Shaunna Murphy

Posted at 12:43 PM on March 4, 2014

Isn’t she 19 at this point? And when did I say it would be rape? Hot guy + hot girl + ‘last man/woman on earth’ scenario — it’s a VERY natural thing to bring up. Sorry you were offended.

Cobalt-60

Posted at 11:55 AM on March 3, 2014

Yes, in the South the game is referred to as “I Never…” or “I’ve Never…”, and the only place I ever heard of it referred to as “Never Have I Ever…” was in the Midwest.

Shaunna Murphy

Posted at 1:25 PM on March 3, 2014

I can confirm that in NYC and LA we played it “Never Have I Ever” — kind of like a beer pong versus beirut thing?

Cobalt-60

Posted at 1:32 PM on March 3, 2014

Yeah, that is another one. I have never heard Beer Pong called “Beirut” here in the South either.

Jann

Posted at 5:25 PM on April 6, 2014

In Canada we call it ” I Never ” I’ve hadn’t heard it called NHIE until I read this page.

Todd

Posted at 10:22 AM on March 3, 2014

I enjoyed the review… I agree I don’t know if I enjoyed the show because it didn’t touch the other characters journey. Good work….

profnickd1967

Posted at 10:16 AM on March 3, 2014

Meh. Basically a soap opera.

Andre Richards

Posted at 3:49 AM on March 3, 2014

“…but at least Daryl got a chance to metaphorically set fire to his demons. Yay, metaphors!”

Wow, the condescending tone of this review is really annoying. Maybe you should get off your laptop when “watching” the show in the future and you might pick up on some of the more subtle moments. Beth and Daryl both acknowledge that burning the place down would be a metaphorical thing and they both seem amused by the idea. It’s not like the writers were trying to be clever and sneak some high-brow idea past you. It was actually a really lighthearted character moment but your need to be snarky about it apparently made you miss that.

jcscott125

Posted at 12:44 PM on March 3, 2014

This episode deserves to be eviscerated. Frankly, the reviewer is being kind.

Shaunna Murphy

Posted at 1:36 PM on March 3, 2014

Thank you, I try to be kind. But I REALLY was disappointed by the episode. Thank you for reading!

Shaunna Murphy

Posted at 1:31 PM on March 3, 2014

I don’t NEED to be snarky, but I did think it was on-the-nose and slightly ridiculous, especially given the fact that the house was providing them shelter.

cheslow

Posted at 5:46 PM on March 3, 2014

If that’s the case, that the place is providing them shelter and u have a problem with them burning it down, then u should be arguing that Daryl should have led Beth to the house weeks ago. It’s obviously close to their location and he knew where it was. I have a lot of problems with the practical aspects of everyday life on the show, such as when characters fail to learn from obvious mistakes (like clearing one room carefully but not another; generally getting surprised by the presence of a zombie; failing to fashion suitable weapons despite the ability to do so; not requisitioning humvees and armored cars/heavy duty trucks when hey clearly have enough gas to operate things like a bus), but this isn’t one of those times. I loved the episode. This show is about the parts of ourselves we keep and the parts we let go of in a world where conventions, society, and comfort are gone. Here, the psychological strain means this place was no shelter at all.

Andre Richards

Posted at 3:45 AM on March 3, 2014

“You see, Daryl KNEW there’d be moonshine cause his Daddy was a drunk”

Wrong. He explains to Beth that he and Michonne had run across this place in their previous exploration of the areas surrounding the prison. I think if you’re going to review a show, you should at least pay attention to it.

Mister Baja

Posted at 10:08 PM on March 2, 2014

just use a wheelchair next time.