Max George: The Wanted Broke Up Because Of One Direction Rivalry

Tue, January 28, 2014 8:43pm EDT by 96 Comments
Max George The Wanted Breaking Up
FameFlyNet Bauer-Griffin

The real reason why The Wanted broke up has finally been revealed, and it’s not what we expected. Singer Max George blames the group’s demise on its not-so-friendly rivalry with fellow boy band One Direction. Could this really be the reason?

Max George has broken his silence about why The Wanted decided to split up after four years together. In addition to growing tension between the band members, the singer admits that they just couldn’t compete with the huge success of One Direction.

Max George On The Wanted Breaking Up — One Direction Rivalry Caused Split

The Wanted shocked fans around the world when they announced on Jan. 22 that they would be taking a break to focus on their individual careers. But it turns out that wasn’t the only reason the British band broke up.

The Wanted Breaks Up

“One Direction are a phenomenon that no one else can compete with,” Max confessed in a new interview with The Sun. “They’ve taken over the market. We have our own fans, who we love, but we couldn’t stop things from happening.”

We have a feeling The Wanted fans won’t be happy to hear this, but hey, at least the band members have plans to embark on solo careers.

The Wanted Members To Pursue ‘Personal Endeavors’

The Wanted released a statement on their website TheWantedMusic.com announcing their temporary split on Jan. 22:

This tour will be their last for a while as Tom, Max, Jay, Siva and Nathan have collectively decided to take time to pursue personal endeavours following the tour’s conclusion. The band wants to stress to their fans that they will continue on as The Wanted and look forward to many successful projects together in the future. They thank their fans for their continued love and support and look forward to seeing them on tour.

“It shouldn’t be a surprise for anyone,” Max told The Sun. “As upsetting as it might be to some of the other guys, I have to live my life. Nathan and I haven’t broken any promises either because we’re both going to be on the tour.”

What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Is One Direction to blame for The Wanted’s break up? Or is this just an excuse? Let us know.

– Sandra Clark

More The Wanted News:

1. The Wanted’s Split Revealed: The Real Reason The Boys Are Parting Ways
  2. The Wanted Taking A Break To Pursue ‘Individual Endeavours’
  3. The Wanted Challenge One Direction To A Fight

one direction lover

Posted at 1:54 PM on February 4, 2014

one direction is way more popular then the wanted ever was. the wanted had been “famous” for what 6 years and have like 3 awards. one direction has been famous for almost 4 years and they have like 63 awards what does that say about the wanted

ashely

Posted at 8:59 PM on February 2, 2014

an artiste sings because he loves what he does not because of fan base or competition.blaming 1D is so immature.

Molly

Posted at 10:23 AM on February 2, 2014

The wanted broke up for a good reason and they weren’t as big as they used to be so ya know bye

mony

Posted at 9:56 AM on February 1, 2014

1D rocks u here about them everywhere the wanted u don’t so whats the big deal ?

Kati

Posted at 11:36 PM on January 30, 2014

All these negative comments towards The Wanted will only fire back at the 1D fans. I am a strong believer that negative comments that hurt others (The Wanted and some 1D/The Wanted Fans), will come back at you tenfold of pain. (I told a 12th grader to stop bullying a 9th grader back in high school, he laughed it off, and walked down the steps. The second flight he fell…well rolled down them. I walked up to him and said Karma is a B*tch. I think he stopped picking on the kid). At least they are taking a break. 1D have a huge tour coming up and they are going to be tired! I know what it is like to have so much stuff to do and to literally be exhausted. (College, working, volunteering, and running a club…I ran on 4 hours of sleep, coffee/tea for energy, and I crashed BAD after last semester and ended up sick around Christmas. It is not fun.) I wish 1D the best because they did work to reach where they are and although the two groups had their slight issues I do not wish anything on them, but you so called fans need to chill with the language. How many of you “real fans” noticed when they ever brought up The Wanted that Niall and Harry NEVER SAID A WORD when discussing them. See, everyone needs to lighten up and take a deep breath. Their little issue was between them not us. But I can guaretee you all this, if you do not ease up with the negative commentary, expect bad things could come your way.

Laura Wilson

Posted at 4:39 PM on February 4, 2014

I agree. I get so sick and tired of all the hate The Wanted is getting. The Wanted is talented, One Direction is not. Too bad these stupid and immature little girls don’t understand that. I think it’s time for people to grow up.

Reba

Posted at 4:48 PM on February 4, 2014

Do you think you are helping by calling us Directioners “immature little girls”? I don’t agree with all of my fellow 1D fans about everything and I actually think The Wanted is talented but blaming One Direction is a childish move and so are you for saying that we are “immature little girls”. Yes, people need to grow up but right now you look immature for saying mean things about us Directioners. Do not say someone is immature or a little girl when you are acting the same way.

Laura Wilson

Posted at 4:50 PM on February 4, 2014

Wow… what do you know? People getting pissed off over somebody else’s opinion.
Acting immature nonetheless. Not going to sit here and argue with a five year old. Goodbye and stop commenting on my post because IDGAF. Bye bye .

Reba

Posted at 7:21 PM on February 4, 2014

I am 19 not 5!! The way you are expressing your opinion is rude!! Not every fan is 5 and I do not appreciate being called 5 when I am not. I will not be commenting after this because I am unimpressed by how you act and state your opinions so goodbye.

Rachel Marak

Posted at 3:37 AM on April 12, 2014

Darling THE WANTED SUCKS!!! PUT THAT IN UR HEAD!!!

Kendall KJ

Posted at 4:56 AM on May 6, 2014

Amen to that

lili tomlinson

Posted at 1:54 PM on January 30, 2014

its not one directions fault that they are so popular and that the wanted has no fans. the wanted is just making up stuff so people will feel sorry for them well i for one dint feel sorry for them i hate them

Alisha

Posted at 4:21 PM on February 1, 2014

THANK YOU OMFG. It’s so annoying. Sure, they can’t compete with the boys, and 1D is very successful, but there are so many other bands that haven’t broken up because they aren’t at the top.

Kendall KJ

Posted at 5:14 AM on May 6, 2014

did you even read the whole thing because i sense a hater alert? you could state that without being rude yanno

Wanted1D4lyfe

Posted at 8:41 PM on January 29, 2014

One thing I don’t understand is why can’t people like more than one band at a time? I mean I love both bands, but The Wanted can’t blame One Direction for ‘stealing their fans’, and they shouldn’t just quit because One Direction is so popular! If they kept going, who knows what could happen? They could end up being equally as popular. I’m just saying, it’s too early to quit!

5CuteLads1d

Posted at 3:41 PM on January 29, 2014

To all you idiots out there saying that One Direction is just for little kids- that’s BS. Most of the fandom are around age 16. I’ve heard some of The Wanted’s songs and they are good. But blaming the break up on my boys was kinda stupid. And to say that One Direction has no talent is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. If you think your better than keep thinking that. If they really were untalented than they would have broke up already and wouldn’t have become this powerful.
We directioners actually have a heart and feel sorry for The Wanted’s fans. You still have their music to listen to.

Janna

Posted at 3:21 PM on January 29, 2014

I think it’s true The Wanted finally realized that One Direction is to great (awsome, perfect etc.) to compet with. It’s like an employee that quits before he’s fired. Smart move The Wanted, smart move. Heheheeh

Parker Bush

Posted at 12:53 PM on January 29, 2014

OMG NO!!!!!!!! I’m streaming with tears omfg I’m so mad!!!!! This is no lie I can’t breath..when I heard they were I screamed and instantly tears were down my face!! I messed up my mascara for you guys!! :(( god I’m still crying!!! :(( I love you guys so much!!!! Idc about the 1D stuff I can’t believe this :((

Kati

Posted at 11:26 PM on January 30, 2014

It’s okay, I still believe it is a break. They just don’t have anyone representing them right now; although, I am willing to bet I could have been a better manager than what they had. They were doing FINE before him, it makes no sense. Plus I don’t think the reality show, pushing the album, and Nathan Surgery (which wasn’t his fault) helped any either. Just believe they will be back stronger very soon and they will. Don’t give up. If you give up, you will lose more than you want. It may seem hard to believe, but things will work out. They may have to start out like they did again to build up (look at the 1st video of their Wanted Wenseday video, they toured schools before becoming big). If Danity Kane, Day26, and Fall Out Boy can go on a little hiatus and come back strong, they can to.

Aji

Posted at 12:52 PM on January 29, 2014

One Direction’s power :D

Tammy

Posted at 11:54 AM on January 29, 2014

The Wanted is a lot more talented than One Direction. They can actually play instruments and they write their own songs. Instead of trying to be a boy band, they should just regroup as a band. This way they won’t have to compete against all the little boy bands. Directioners are very mean to The Wanted, calling them ugly and 1D wannabe’s when in reality The Wanted have been around longer. They already had their own style before 1D was even formed. Zayn even admitted in an interview that he copied Siva’s look. 1D is also more popular because of their younger fan base who doesn’t realized that they rip off other artists music. One Direction also has better management than The Wanted, Scooter Braun is a terrible manager.

Simran

Posted at 6:58 AM on January 30, 2014

Alright so let me start by telling you that 15/18 songs on their latest album have been written by the boys themselves. In three years, One Direction has won 123 awards (including Brits, Teen Choice, etc.) and I guess The Wanted have won 6 in 4 or 5 years. One Direction DO play instruments. They are the first artist since 1967 to get all 3 albums straight to number one. One Direction are the ONLY British (-Irish) group to debut to number one in the US. I have many more things to say. And The Wanted are better than One Direction? And PLEASE Modest! is not the best management to deal with.

Kati

Posted at 11:22 PM on January 30, 2014

So, true. They should had kicked their manager away. How do you not set up a performance for the the AMA’s? I don’t care 1D was there last year. They had a standing ovation after performing “I Found You”. But I never compare 1D and The Wanted. Two very different groups, two very different styles, two different EVERYTHING. Which does make sense why people argue over them. And I am absolutely tired of the immaturity that spews from SOME 1D fans mouths…actully typing. I even bet 1D wouldn’t approve that type of language and hate for other individuals who also worked hard to create music. Yeah, they may had their issues in the past, but if I were them, I wouldn’t want my fans to do that, I would want them to forgive and move forward. Having hatred in your body will only damage you and those around you. It’s sad what technology allow people to do behind a screen.

Granny Gripes

Posted at 1:21 PM on February 1, 2014

so claim is , Wanted is more talented, why didn’t they take the Number 1 spot in the world? They had a few years head start. What is 1 D “rip off” ? …1 D wrote 15 of their 18 songs, they exude a lot of personality, strong character, charm, entertainment talent . Consumer buys entertainment that they enjoy. No one was forced to buy 1 D entertainment.
Kids (tweens) have a right to be entertained too.
So the conclusion should be that 1 D attracted better management and that is the only reason for their incredible success.
Success is Success, irrelevant who or what ages the fans are . If Wanted was in another market they should have cornered that more mature market because they are more talented.
Usually when someone goes blame because of their own failure, you already know the character is not there .

Niti Styles

Posted at 10:47 AM on January 29, 2014

I guess dis is an excuse cuz even other singers r competing wid dem

Lara Kim

Posted at 10:40 AM on January 29, 2014

my best friend’s ex-wife makes $60 hourly on the computer. She has been out of work for 6 months but last month her check was $18145 just working on the computer for a few hours. visit their website

>>>>>> C­H­E­C­K­4­­4.­­ℭ­­Oℳ

gosierdrxzvz

Posted at 10:37 AM on January 29, 2014

.Are you still single ? You are not alone. Free join~~~MixedLuv.Çom~~ Millions of singles have joined it.. This is a Serious interracial dating site for black and white singles seeking relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more. Single black people meeting single white people is why we are here.With the background verification system, you can easily find someone real, serious, quality. Have a try.dddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Klaus

Posted at 10:34 AM on January 29, 2014

Love my job, since I’ve been bringing in $87h… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I’m making it online. All I do are easy tasks from this one cool site >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jobs95.COM

Brandy M. Stirling (@BrandyMStirling)

Posted at 2:08 AM on January 29, 2014

IT’S A NEW YEAR TIME FOR A NEW JOBS!!! Start working from your home and make $90/h… Only basic computer skills needed and reliable internet connection… Get your first weekly check at the end of this week… Stop wasting time and start now… Sign up at following address ★★★★★ =====> W­­W­­W.­­V­­O­­X­­­­J­­O­­B.­­C­­O­­M­­

Diego

Posted at 1:48 AM on January 29, 2014

The Wanted broke up in my opinion because of 1-D because they yes couldn’t stand up to them. But I think it is because they aren’t as recent as 1-D that should be enough to clarify, because (and some could agree with me) if The Wanted and 1-D had started out at the same time, then they would both be probably equally famous.

Kati

Posted at 2:29 AM on January 29, 2014

I’m sorry, but I somewhat disagree with you. Yes, if they had both started out at the same time as 1D they may have been equal, but than again since The Wanted are a bit older and their sound is also older, I don’t think so. So, I believe since their is such a large population of young teens, they would have easily went to 1D anyway. A lot of the people I know who likes The Wanted are very few at the age of 14, but many for my age or older, which is 16-30. Plus about 13-14, is about the year where we start to take a stronger interest in music than any other age because we are trying to define ourselves and seperate ourselves somewhat from our parent(s)/family. That is why a lot of people at that age do stupid stuff and sadly can go on until the late 20’s. I just think their manager is terrible. I understand “Walks Like Rihanna” was only released because Nathan had surgery (it’s actually a great positive song towards women, but not many understand it since it represents confidence), which one of the guys in the group could sing Nathan’s very small part. If I were their manager I would had advised them to release “Summer Alive” – party song which they are famous for, “Heartbreak Story” – love falling apart, but he is there to help you move onto something better, “Read my Mind”.(never released, but I can PROMISE YOU, this song has made so many people start listening to them. I have NEVER, heard them sing a song so beautiful, with unique composition and range…stunned at how beautiful it is. Piano and chello it’s amazing and artistic. Other than “Demons” – rock flare with amazing ending verse and range. They have so many very high quality music, but they do not release it like they should. It’s sad. “Lie to Me” a song that I can deeply relate (others can also) having their heart torn apart wanting to believe everything a relationship is perfect when it’s not. Their music is amazing, but people need to be willing to experiement and explore different music.

one direction lover

Posted at 2:00 PM on February 4, 2014

i asked for a comment not lesson about music one direction is much

Laura Wilson

Posted at 3:41 PM on January 30, 2014

The only reason why 1D is so popular is because their fans are so fixed on their looks. I very seldom hear them talk about their music or their personalities. The Wanted, however, are the mature looking ones and I’ve always been a fan of them. They can actually write their own music and play instruments. They don’t sing about the same stuff like 1D does.
One day, these brainless 1D fans will recognize how dumb they look for liking a “band” because of their looks. I rest my case!

Granny Gripes

Posted at 1:05 PM on February 1, 2014

wonder, why 1 D music sells ? … consumer always decides . No matter what the market is, entertainment success is providing what the consumer wants. 1 D has obvious awesome talent in entertainment . If it were only looks they would be models, standing around being cute or handsome . Some folks love Jazz, and then there are folks who are closet Opera fans.

Mister Baja

Posted at 11:48 PM on January 28, 2014

so they were just bad losers?

khettlim

Posted at 10:36 AM on June 30, 2014

his mother

khettlim

Posted at 10:44 AM on June 30, 2014

and give at least the wanted, does not smoke marijuana like 1D a few days ago

Kati

Posted at 10:50 PM on January 28, 2014

Wow, the commentary on the bottom is interesting. Yes, if this information is true (I don’t believe a lot of things on the internet unless I am actually present for the information.), I agree the guys (or Max) should not use 1D popularity as if it is their fault. But considering that everywhere I go all I have seen is 1D, kind of make sense that they are taking over the market. They are not the only great group in music, The Wanted of course is great, but there is also Mindless Behavior, Emblem3, Midnight Red, AJR, Backstreetboys are back together (finally), and so forth, but I rarely hear about them. When I was 5-9 years old, I remember seeing Nsync and Baskstreetboys everywhere, but they shared seen together. But I have noticed one thing over time, Justin Bieber was on top of the world, girls everywhere loved him. Now, look at One Direction, girls everywhere loves them (and they have every right to, I love music in general The Wanted is my favorite, but 1D is second just because I heard The Wanted before them), but guys hate both Justin and 1D. And since they are everywhere and people constantly talk about them, plus fans are doing some crazy things just to see them, people may turn on 1D. I don’t want it to happen because each group worked hard to reach where they are, but I’m starting to see a correlation. Plenty of guys like The Wanted (I was surprised when I heard some guys talking about getting their album at a Fraternity table), but a great deal of guys do not like 1D mainly because girls go nuts over them (I call it a slight jealousy issue), but now I’m hearing girls hating 1D and they’re not even The Wanted fans (I asked, they said they never heard of them except for “Glad You Came”, but they may be after I introduced them to “Summer Alive” I can see some serious remixes coming from that song for pool parties :D ), What I’m trying to say, yes they are taking over the music scene, but not sharing the spotlight with other great artists may hurt them in the long run.

Kim

Posted at 10:45 PM on January 28, 2014

I personally think the wanted should have been and a boy band singing cause it’s something they love to do not because of their fan base
Sorry but don’t blame one direction…..

toopretty12

Posted at 10:29 PM on January 28, 2014

Reblogged this on The Pretty Canary.

Hi

Posted at 10:05 PM on January 28, 2014

Okay the wanted are not that bad musically but I don’t agree with him blaming all this on one direction. Take it like a man! You guys likely broke up because your good run was over.

HAHA

Posted at 9:56 PM on January 28, 2014

thank god.. bye

bl

Posted at 8:57 PM on January 28, 2014

they’re using it as an excuse ffs its obvious that they suck as a band they didnt have that big of a fan base anyways and its good that they’ve finally realized it

Kati

Posted at 10:53 PM on January 28, 2014

You must haven’t been college/house parties…
Their songs are played constantly. This summer pool parties are going to be crazy since I suggested “Summer Alive”, everyone LOVES the song. That is going to be the #1 song played throughout the summer. I just wished they released that as a single :/

Granny Gripes

Posted at 1:01 PM on February 1, 2014

have to ask if the Wanted are beyond perfect, the only talented and awesome, why didn’t they catch on fire ?

Booo

Posted at 4:04 AM on January 29, 2014

I bet that you are 14 -13 years old that’s why you like 1D The Wanted is for mature older people like college students not middle to elementary girls

Reba

Posted at 1:13 PM on January 29, 2014

Booo its not only middle or elementary school girls who like 1D even girls in college, some moms, and even some grandmas like 1D. I am 19 and I love 1D. Everyone has different tastes in music you shouldn’t criticize what others like. I don’t hate the wanted but them blaming 1D is a bit of an excuse because even though 1D is in the news more they could have better management for helping people hear their music. Don’t go saying something without having facts to back your words up.

one direction lover