‘Once Upon A Time’ Finally Addresses Mulan’s Sexuality: She Loves Aurora

Mon, October 14, 2013 10:27am EST by 209 Comments 19,745 Article Views
Mulan Gay Once Upon A Time
Courtesy of ABC

maverick

Posted at 12:25 AM on October 30, 2013

gay is not normal.. gay is not the natural order of things.. i am sick of hollywood glamorizing gay and other people bashing people who are not pro gay.. human beings made up gay.. there is no genetic coding that proves it exist and therefore it is not normal or natural.. and i bet that after i post this comment, almost all people will react..

kamakiri17

Posted at 7:44 PM on October 30, 2013

Milan can only love ‘one’ person and no act of god is gonna change that. Shang.

Smith

Posted at 10:42 PM on November 3, 2013

And what would you know of genetic coding? Obviously very little if you think that the entire human genome is fully understood and every gene is easily identified and its function known. Don’t use false facts to try and justify your prejudice.

l TheBasketbase

Posted at 10:32 AM on October 27, 2013

Just because the show says Mulan is gay doesn’t make it true! Mulan is the ONLY straight princess to achieve something other than falling in love! She is the PERFECT role model for straight girls.
She taught me that life isn’t about finding your Prince, it’s about
sacrificing your life in order to make a difference! She showed me
that when you are different or looked down upon you
should rise up and fight! If you really want to take stand
how the extra mile and make a new lesbian princess! I gladly support it but Mulan is my favorite! She helped be who I am today
And helped me realize life’s not about finding my Prince. She
taught me that excepting who you are and helping
People is what life’s all about! That isn’t Mulan!

Lunacy

Posted at 2:22 PM on October 26, 2013

Oh and for those who are upset because Mulan was supposedly in love with Phillip, this happens to be one of the oldest stories out there. How many films and novels are there out there featuring some character who was certain they loved one person initially and then realized later that they loved another. Anyone seen GONE WITH THE WIND or CASABLANCA? Another VERY common theme and a reality among gays and lesbians is the situation where you think you’re “in love” with a person of the opposite sex because that is what is socially accepted and what you expect yourself – then it hits you that what you’re feeling for someone of the same sex is as strong or stronger. Mulan’s story is depicting this beautifully in OUAT. Look at the number of people in real life who marry an opposite sex partner and even have kids only to come to grips later in life with the fact that they are actually gay.

kuabci

Posted at 2:44 PM on October 26, 2013

All that shows is the fluidity of sexual preference, and how easy it is for some people to switch when they grow bored of the way the currently live. There’s nothing beautiful about the shoddy storytelling and bad writing they employed to shoehorn this totally unnecessary character twist and weak, obviously PC fanservice plotline (and I use the term “fan” VERY loosely).

Pinkgnomie!3

Posted at 2:17 PM on November 4, 2013

Amen. I second this.

Lunacy

Posted at 1:56 PM on October 26, 2013

I love that they have Mulan in love with Aurora. I’m beyond amused at the lengths people go to in hopes of rationalizing the scene so that they can keep on thinking that this version of Mulan is straight. She’s going to tell Aurora that she’s in love with Aurora’s prince and wearing a smile while at it? Heh. As Emma would say, seriously people? The U.S. is thankfully moving in the right direction but there are still so many out there determined to marginalize, disapprove of and sometimes just outright hate those who are different. Very “Christian” of them ;-) It’s actually sad that they are missing out on some of the most compelling and interesting and romantic stories. I went through this for many years as a fan of the show, Xena the Warrior Princess. Xena had the most chemistry with her female sidekick Gabrielle and their relationship inspired a zillion fanfic stories and several episodes in which the subtext essentially became maintext. Among the fans of the Xena/Gab pairing were gays and straight people, men and women. Some people weren’t initially fans of the pairing but eventually became so when they accepted the chemistry between the characters and were able to take a leap beyond their narrow views. As for OUAT, I applaud the writers for taking Mulan in this direction. Though I doubt it will happen, I have to say that THE most interesting pairing on the show would be Emma and Regina. Those two have more chemistry together than with any of the male characters they’ve been paired with. Great show!

kuabci

Posted at 2:15 PM on October 26, 2013

But why does it HAVE to turn to *sexual* chemistry?? And what’s so laudable about doing something that pretty much every other show does, except not even very well? There are so many major flaws with your post that I don’t even know where to start, so I guess I just won’t. Lunacy indeed. This show sucks (and really, it always has).

Lunacy

Posted at 4:41 PM on October 26, 2013

It’s in its third season and you’re still watching even though it sucks?

kuabci

Posted at 4:51 PM on October 26, 2013

You know how hard it is to look away from a train wreck? Yeah, that’s why I kept watching. It offended my sensibilities as a Disney fan and a viewer of TV in general, and yet I simply couldn’t look away. Until now. I’ve finally found a big enough reason to stop watching, and I haven’t missed it in the slightest bit.

So no, I’m not still watching, and yes, it sucks.

sfminer

Posted at 4:52 PM on October 26, 2013

Well, first off, since there was no return, and it’s unlikely that there ever would be — Aurora likely never even considered the possibility that a woman *could* be attracted to her rather than Phillip — there WAS no “sexual chemistry”. Really, there was no sexual anything.

But how would that be different from the chemistry in the first seasons between Emma and Graham… or Emma and August… or Belle and Rumpelstiltskin… or Ruby and Billy (or, for that matter, almost any man with a pulse)? Or the second season between Emma and Neal? Or blah blah blah. Why were these all fine?

kuabci

Posted at 4:55 PM on October 26, 2013

I was talking about when Lunacy said that Emma and Regina had chemistry. They might have some chemistry, but it doesn’t have to be sexual chemistry. Just like many other relationships on the show — they’ve had a lot of interaction and tension, but it’s not always necessarily leading to romantic relationships. All those other relationships you mention were written TO be romantic entanglements, others (like Emma and Regina, and until this debacle, Aurora and Mulan) were not. Big difference.

Loyalist

Posted at 3:54 PM on October 25, 2013

She wasn’t confessing her love for Aurora. Aurora has become one of her closest friends who is in love with the same guy as her. She was going to tell aurora she loved Philip and then heard about them having a baby. Mulan wasn’t gonna leave her best friend to take care of a baby by herself!

TheBasketcase

Posted at 10:02 PM on October 25, 2013

It totally makes sense now! She was confessing her love for Phillip! I’m so happy now because I really didn’t want them to change Mulan and ruin my whole childhood! In my opinion Disney should just make a new princess who is lesbian or bi for those types of girls to feel more accepted. I don’t have a problem with gays, lesbos, or bis but I think they should accepted! I’m a christian and I know that that is what Jesus would want. We should except them as they are! That’s what Jesus would do… :D

whylime113

Posted at 9:39 PM on October 27, 2013

Yeah, there’s no rational reason she’d tell Aurora she was in love with Phillip. Friends don’t do that to friends, and there’s no way she’d think Aurora would move over and hand her Philip. You certainly don’t seem hateful, but you are being horribly homophobic by going out of your way to say she’s not gay (this was definitely going to be a proclamation of love; she wouldn’t have been upset after otherwise). Keep in mind this show is NOT Disney, and Mulan in her original story never met a guy. It’s fine for the show to not make her like the Disney version.

kuabci

Posted at 10:04 PM on October 27, 2013

And yet they keep going out of their way to make obviously Disney-specific references. That’s one thing I’ve always hated about this show, lazy writing relying on recognizable Disney properties with constant obviously Disney references and winks, until they decide to twist the characters to fit their own bad storylines.

lola

Posted at 3:46 PM on October 23, 2013

what if she wanted to confess her love to Philip to aurora first. woman to woman talk?

sfminer

Posted at 4:49 PM on October 25, 2013

Then she wouldn’t have been smiling.

ambergavin2

Posted at 6:22 AM on October 23, 2013

I agree, there is nothing wrong. Sure it’s a surprise, but we have to be open to new changes, every once in a while.

kuabci

Posted at 4:52 PM on October 26, 2013

Not lazy, crappy changes. Why should we be open to lazy, crappy changes?

Olive

Posted at 3:35 AM on October 22, 2013

I don’t like it. Not because it’s gay but because it just HAD to be Mulan, the tough warrior, who is also the least feminine of the Disney princesses. Nice stereotyping.

Basketcase

Posted at 8:02 PM on October 21, 2013

Just because she joined a army and acted like a soldier doesn’t make her bi! She did what she did because she loved her dad! She’s the only princess who was STRAIGHT, BEAUTIFUL, SMART, AND TOUGH! That’s why I love her! She’s a inspiration to straight girls to not focus on their beauty and men but on making a difference and putting love first! All the other Disney princess teach you about true love and their prince’s she was different! All I’m saying is they want to take a stand make a new princess whose bi or lesbian! Trust me, I’ll support but don’t change my Milan!!!!

whylime113

Posted at 9:42 PM on October 27, 2013

How does her being bi change the idea that she does what she does for her father? How does her being bi make her any less brave? Being bi makes her no less of a rolle model for those of us who are straight. Straight, lesbian, and bi girls aren’t so drastically different that female-oriented morals only apply if the woman is straight.

ISupport

Posted at 4:45 PM on October 21, 2013

Why is people trying to say that Once is shoving their beliefs down kids’ throats? If you don’t want to have your children look at two women kissing well then that’s your business but its not like you switch the tele when a man and a woman is kissing? If your kids happened to be gay, whilst only watching heterosexuals on tv, no one is to blame because that is who they are. And watching homosexuals is not going to change someones belief. Plus Once has some things on the show that kids shouldn’t be watching anyways. Being gay is not wrong its apart of who you are and no one picks to be gay. I believe that Once is doing something really good because being gay wasn’t something that just happened over night… its been going on since the beginning of time. One of my favorite shows is The Fosters but that doesn’t mean I’m gay, I just enjoy the plots and actors, it has nothing to do with my sexuality. Explaining why two people are kissing shouldn’t be hard, they find each other attractive. So stop judging and maybe think why you are so insecure about letting your kids have two people show their love for each other.

Ellie

Posted at 8:25 PM on October 20, 2013

Lynne: have we forgotten that affairs are also a sin? Let’s remember season’s one & the Prince Charming/Snow White interlude before the curse was broken. If you’re going to judge a show for displaying the evil as well as the good in the world, please do so with some level of consistency. Otherwise, you’re just picking & choosing what you choose to follow with your religion… which is, I’m pretty sure, worse than what you’re “fighting” against.

Just a thought. :)

kuabci

Posted at 9:42 PM on October 20, 2013

Very good point. What with adultery and illegitimate children and etc. etc., this show has always promoted some pretty bad behavior. I’m a little surprised that it’s taken some people this long to recognize it.

LYNNE

Posted at 7:00 PM on October 20, 2013

AWFUL!!! I WILL QUIT, QUIT WATCHING SUCH SINCE YOU ADDED HOMO’S……YOU ARE WRONG THAT IS NOT RIGHT AND JUST BECAUSE THE WORLD THINKS IT IS IS WRONG……GOD DOES NOT CONDOME HOMESEXUALITY AND IT WILL NOT BE A PART OF HEAVEN BUT HELL……..YOU SCREWED UP A GOOD SHOW!!!!

sfminer

Posted at 4:51 PM on October 25, 2013

That’s okay, it’s probably gained four viewers for every one who leaves it. Enjoy your capital letters, though.

Zeb

Posted at 1:09 AM on October 27, 2013

Condome? Will there be spell check in heaven?

Ruby Gaffney

Posted at 6:24 AM on April 12, 2014

Really? Because I thought that we were all ‘God’s children’. I thought that God was supposed to love us all.
Imagine you have a teenage son, and he finds himself attracted to the same sex. What would you do? Hate him? Send him away? Disown him? If you truly loved him, you would accept him, no matter what. I am not saying that this show is the equivalent of a human child, but please, try not to be so prejudiced. I myself am not of the Christian faith, so perhaps I don’t quite understand your views, but to simply say that gay people will ‘not be a part of Heaven but Hell’ seems a bit intense, especially for a television show.

Stephanie Stephens

Posted at 8:13 PM on October 18, 2013

I don’t watch this show, because it looks really cheesy and I don’t think I’d like it. However, I think everyone is complaining for the wrong reasons. Personally, it doesn’t bother me that they made a character gay or bi or whatever. It doesn’t bother me that they have altered all of the fairy tales to suit their story. What bothers me, is that nobody can create a show and share it with the public without it being either altered or interpreted as pushing some sort of agenda. Can’t we just make a good story with multidimensional characters and great dialogue and just ENJOY it? Why must there be an underlying message or “issue of the week”?

Bastion of Balance (@BastionsBalance)

Posted at 6:43 PM on October 18, 2013

Raising “awareness” is one thing. THIS is just shoving a lifestyle down the throats of children. I don’t understand, it’s okay for Mulan to have a bisexual relationship but no one sees anything wrong with her being a potential HOME-WRECKER?

I personally do not care what ANYONE does behind the closed doors of their bedrooms, more power to ya! But I DO NOT want to explain to my child why the two ladies are kissing on television. I will decide when that conversation is appropriate.

Just because someones sexual orientation is not man/woman doesn’t necessarily mean it’s wrong, but DO NOT expect EVERYONE to accept it. And certainly DO NOT shove it down the throats of our children.

What’s a few more fallen inches on the bar of morality worth to Disney these days? I bet Walt is rolling over in his grave.

sfminer

Posted at 12:25 AM on October 19, 2013

Except that she’s *not* a homewrecker. [spolers warning] She’s about to tell Aurora she loves her, when Aurora tells her she and the Prince are having a baby, so Mulan immediately swallows her love and announces she’s leaving. So what exactly is your complaint?

If the many, MANY heterosexual declarations of love throughout the show are okay, and this one isn’t, then it’s not this one that’s shoving a lifestyle down anyone’s throats.

Ellie

Posted at 9:06 PM on October 20, 2013

If your child is too young to understand too girls kissing, then I’m actualy worried about you allowing him or her to watch this show in the first place! Child abandonment, one night stands, premarital sex, affairs, divorce… all of these have been in the show to date. I would hardly fight to consider this a show that children of a very young age should watch, & that has nothing to do with homosexuality.

Anyway, let’s not forget that Mary Margaret was a true homewrecker before the curse was broken. This show is exploring the good, the bad, the happy, & the sad in relationships… it really isn’t surprising that they’d also represent homosexuality. Besides, the character personalities are what gives this show realism in the first place! These are “people” who have their own personalities, & their moral compasses were never meant to match ours perfectly… it’s real, it’s true, & that’s not really shoving a viewpoint down anybody’s throat. Really, it’s just life (even in a fictional town).

My suggestions to you? Screen better & lock your children in a gated community with strict moral requirements if you expect to only ever explain anything to a child when YOU are ready… because I can’t think of a single parent who got to explain life on their schedule.

shunllcAdam

Posted at 7:42 PM on October 21, 2013

Whether I agree or disagree with the choice on Mulan I do agree with your comment. My wife and I watch the show but do not let my daughter watch. This was the case even before this episode as she is not old enough for many of the concepts yet. It is up to parents to screen and be responsible for what their children watch. Other parents may disagree with me and that is their right to let their kids watch what they want them to.

PrincessSalem

Posted at 11:01 AM on October 18, 2013

One more thing, this turn in the series, if it really IS a turn and not just a bunch of reporters and other people reading things into something that aren’t there. It seems really just out of left field since in season two it was alluded to more than once that Mulan was in love with Phillip. For them to turn the story like that, it seems like it’s just an add on. Like, ‘oh by the way lets make Mulan gay’. It’s also a little bit old hat to make the woman posing as a man the gay one. There are other Fairy Tale characters that they make gay. And as I mentioned before, the whole series is about finding one’s true love. And Aurora has Phillip, now they’re having a baby. I’m not upset that they might make one of the Disney Princesses gay. In fact, I think it’s pretty cool. But don’t make the gay character go after an attached character. Make them find a new love, one that isn’t attached.

Ray

Posted at 11:55 PM on October 18, 2013

Uhhhh what the heck part of Mulan walked away without telling Aurora how she felt the SECOND Aurora said she was pregnant makes her a home wrecker, exactly?

KD

Posted at 8:45 AM on October 19, 2013

I think the argument can be made that she didn’t respect Philip and Auroras marriage/partnership OR her friendship with either party if she’s going to bust in and tell either of them she’s in love with their partner. If the only reason she didn’t say anything to Aurora was the baby, then yes she was at least willing to be a home wrecker.
Nothing awakens Sleeping Beauty but true loves kiss, so it’s not like Aurora and Philip were just a fling, Mulan knew they were in love.
In the parameters of the show that true love is more binding than any wedding.

PrincessSalem

Posted at 10:27 AM on October 18, 2013

I don’t like this ‘twist’, namely because it was revealed earlier in the series that Mulan was in love with Phillip. I don’t like that if Mulan is supposed to be in love with Phillip, that all of a sudden it’s going to be revealed that she’s in love with Aurora. Not to mention that Aurora is with Phillip. I don’t like them essentially trying to divide a couple like that. Aurora found her true love, now let Mulan find hers. OR, here’s a thought, make someone else be gay. I’m not upset that they made her gay, I’m bisexual myself. But, making someone be in love with someone who already found their love, that’s not right. It’s supposed to be a happy for ALL, not a homewrecker. Which is what Mulan would be. Let her find another Princess.

atropat

Posted at 5:24 AM on October 18, 2013

In the series, Peter Pan is a villian, Red Riding Hood is the wolf, Rumplestiltskin is father-in-law of Snow White’s daughter, etc. So ALL these changes doesn’t disturb you but Mulan being a homosexual does…

johnV

Posted at 11:22 PM on October 17, 2013

Everyone has this all wrong- as revealed in the second season of Once, Mulan is in love with PHILLIP – NOT Aurora. In this scene from season 3 she is going to find Phillip, but runs into Aurora and finds out she is pregnant with his child- and is sad because she realizes she and Phillip have no hope in the future with his new family. I see how it can be misinterpreted, but a news source really shouldn’t be making mistakes like this.

kuabci

Posted at 12:24 AM on October 18, 2013

I wanted to take it that way too, but when you actually watch the scene, unfortunately it’s pretty obvious that she’s talking to Aurora. When she runs into the garden Aurora asks her if Mulan wants her to go get Phillip, and Mulan says no, she wanted to talk to HER, just after Robin Hood told her that she needs to tell her true love how she feels. Some have also pointed out that in earlier seasons it was just vague enough that it never really said WHO she loved, just that she had an attachment to someone in the Phillip/Aurora relationship. Also the writers and cast have teased that there WOULD be a gay storyline coming up. I think they also made it just vague enough that they could renege if there was negative backlash, but the whole thing just stinks.

The whole thing is stupid, and I sort of can’t believe I’m even typing out this extremely fanfiction-ish comment, but I guess that’s what this lame show does. :/

Doug

Posted at 3:42 PM on October 17, 2013

Ok, my major issue is with them taking away from the original view of the character in Disney’s Mulan movie. If you are going to use Disney characters why change the original intent of the character? She was not gay or bisexual in the Disney movie so why pander to the Hollywood left coast kooks and make her gay? Come on already! Stay with the character! Yes that means all the characters they changed in the TV series not just Mulan!

Valorie Engholm

Posted at 8:21 PM on October 17, 2013

Because none of these are Disney characters. These fairy tale characters, Mulan included, existed hundreds of years before Walt Disney came along.

DG

Posted at 9:16 PM on October 17, 2013

And yet, they go out of their way to make *obvious* references to the specifically Disney versions to tie in to the versions that are most familiar to us. The constant and extremely overt Disney references have always been annoying, they just kept winking at the camera. So yes, they ARE Disney characters.

Ellie

Posted at 8:30 PM on October 20, 2013

The focus of the Disney movie was on one relationship. All of the characters in all of the Disney movies have “lives” before & after the events of the tale. One could argue that he wasn’t the only person she ever had feelings for in her entire life… just the one they chose to focus on.

& who knows, she could move past Aurora like she did Phillip & fall for her Disney movie love in this version, as well.

Lili

Posted at 7:46 AM on October 21, 2013

I agree with all of this!!! They expect us to rely on Disney movies to understand Aurora or Mulan’s backstories, they keep winking at Disney movies and yet they’re changing ALL the good things about them… I don’t like it! Either you base it on Disney True Loves stories and keep true to it, either you go your own way and don’t keep making Disney references, using the same clothes, the same scenes, the same quotes from the movies we all know from our childhood, but don’t make something “in between” that just makes everybody look bad/ruins everything!

Patti

Posted at 11:38 AM on October 17, 2013

what bothers me here is the fact that they are turning the soldier Mulan in a gay person,which must have been easier for the writers to use her,instead of picking a girly princess,she was the obvious choice,but Mulan is a straight girl that had to look like a boy to save her family honour,not to be use as an androgynous character,that look like a boy.
One more thing,is Aurora having sex with the prince before marriage???mmhhh,naughty,naughty!!

Tsavo

Posted at 10:19 PM on October 17, 2013

Honestly, I take no issues with them deciding to cater to the LGBT crowd, but for them to make Mulan the Bi character just rubs me the wrong way somehow. I mean It was pointed out to be that Mulan was the least marketed of the disney princesses, and something about this just strikes me as off. Just because Mulan dressed up as a boy makes her somehow Bi? I don’t know it’s just strange to me, and somehow “predictable”. But as another point of order, of all of the princesses they decided to put into it, Mulan is the one based on a real person, so why play with her the most? It’s just… odd. Like I said I really have no issue with them choosing to make one of the characters Bi, it’s just the choice of whom that bothers me.

Erin

Posted at 2:23 AM on October 17, 2013

I think it’s hilarious how the butch sword wielding woman is the gay one. Yeah, really ground breaking there. Ntm that aurora and Phillip are each others true love so that’s kind of sending a negative message about homosexual love.

I don’t really care if mulan is gay… Don’t really care about her character much either way, but I thought she was in love with Phillip. That was implied several times. This devepment seems really random and pandering. And what the hell would she even expect aurora to say? Aurora lives for Philip… I’m glad she didn’t tell her and make things completely awful for everyone.

Anyway lets hope that she will be the only gay one. I don’t want this show to turn into a gay show.

Tiffany

Posted at 2:10 AM on October 17, 2013

Whoa there, firstly she ain’t a Disney Princess and even so she doesn’t have to be subscribe to any sexuality. She falls in love with a guy, but doesn’t mean thats her only preference.
secondly, Mulan’s story is based on a chinese legend not an american film. Her real story is one of pride in her country and honour to her family. She is valued for her courage. There is no man or woman romantically. So as a Chinese queer individual, I’m pretty okay with it. It’s just another aspect of a multi-dimensional character.
Besides, the writers are free to interpret her legend into whatever. They basically turned peter pan as ‘bad’ which actually is pretty accurate to the original story anyway. Its a show about magic and love, and we know that fantasy isn’t actually real so putting a lgbt relationship isn’t out of place in a story with faires and pixie dust and love isn’t limited. Emma’s true love is Henry in a maternal way. Mulan loves Aurora romantically, that’s really awesome too.
Sure it seems like a decision made after the fundamental development of Mulan’s character but its their story and their show.
Kudos to the crew and cast.

kuabci.blogspot.com

Posted at 3:38 PM on October 17, 2013

Um, yes she DOES “subscribe to any sexuality.” She loves Shang, she’s straight. What is wrong with people?

sfminer

Posted at 12:27 AM on October 19, 2013

Which part of “She falls in love with a guy, but doesn’t mean that’s her only preference,” doesn’t register with you?”

kuabci

Posted at 12:43 AM on October 19, 2013

Uh, the part where it’s comple tely irrelevant to Mulan. This isn’t a real person with any kind of “preference”, it’s a character in a Disney movie with finite and defined traits and attributes.

*sigh* And THIS is how and why there is crap fanfic and shipping in the world…

sfminer

Posted at 12:03 PM on October 23, 2013

That’s a non-sequitur. You were using her falling in love with a man as evidence that she’s straight, and it’s not. That’s what I was calling you on, and you’re not addressing that.

As to what you just said, what exactly is the canonical list of “finite and defined traits and attributes” that people are allowed to explore (other than, apparently, heterosexuality)?

indiana

Posted at 9:01 PM on October 16, 2013

Deeper than bisexuality (Lesbian). Seem like symbolic to decapitate other culture heritage or something.

sfminer

Posted at 12:28 AM on October 19, 2013

How is Lesbian deeper than Bisexual?

Katie

Posted at 6:27 PM on October 16, 2013

I don’t like the fact that mulan is lesbian. Disney princesses are (in my opinion) are supposed to be straight. She married Shane after all. I have nothing against lesbians but I still wished mulan wasn’t one… But I get it if you guys like her to be lesbian

Ellie

Posted at 8:34 PM on October 20, 2013

There is a clear difference between someone who is bisexual & someone who is a lesbian. Also, the story is not over yet. Can’t people love the wrong people before they find their soul mates? If we were all forced to marry the first person we had feelings for, many of us would be sorely unhappy.

Nic

Posted at 9:41 AM on October 16, 2013

Mulan, a tom boyish character who can defend herself and wears armour rather then a flimsy dress – she must like girls!

I’m afraid this isn’t an original idea but rather a stereotypical view on lesbians/female bisexuals. Not just that, but well done to the writers for creating a fickle character who can switch her feelings of love from one character to another so quickly like a high school drama. Surprising from a show which focuses a lot on true love and soul mates.

Ellie

Posted at 8:38 PM on October 20, 2013

At this point, almost all of the women are strong, warrior types. Aurora & Cinderella are probably the only ones who aren’t, & they already found their loves! Slim pickings to find a non warrior princess at this point. Also, we can’t forget that the main character herself has had, to date, 3 love interests… the sheriff, Pinocchio, & her babydaddy. Why is it so unreasonable for Mulan to have two?