It’s time to return to the land of y’alls and country fried drama. ‘Nashville’ is back, and it’s giving us the answers we’ve been waiting for all summer, including: Is Rayna OK?
The Sept. 25 season premiere of Nashville served up major heartbreak, baby mama issues and an extra side of drama. Last season with country queen Rayna James (Connie Britton) having a LOT of explaining to do — but her explanation was cut short when she and Deacon (Charles Esten) got into a serious car accident.
My heart has not been at ease since that moment; Rayna James in peril is just not okay.
Nashville‘s second season picked up right where we left off. Deacon pulled Rayna out of the burning car, there was blood everywhere and Rayna was out cold. This was not good for my nerves!
Thankfully, we were given a flashback to better days: a young Deacon and Rayna buying a house. They were young and adorable — and did I mention Rayna had short hair? Epic! Sadly, this sweet moment was short-lived, as we were quickly taken back to present-day; and Rayna’s now on a ventilator.
Deacon, meanwhile, was brought up on charges for the accident — even though he wasn’t driving — and you can tell the guilt is weighing on him. Poor guy can’t catch a break!
Juliette Barnes: Brutally Honest, Sassy & A Wee Bit Crazy
Amidst Rayna and Deacon’s intense issues, Juliette was (Hayden Panettiere) worrying about something much more important — to her, at least: her album sales! Her new album was supposed to drop in one day, and suddenly she found herself competing with a “saint in a coma.” Well said, Juliette!
In my opinion, Juliette is by far the best character on the show. Yes, she’s flawed, but everyone is. Some of her actions in this episode were wrong on so many levels, but that didn’t make them any less entertaining.
She decided to go through with her album launch concert, and of course, brought up Rayna. She milked Rayna’s condition for all it was worth, then proceeded to sing one of Rayna’s classics. (Watch out Juliette, you’re stepping in the wrong territory!)
Fortunately, she later made up for her crazy antics by talking to Maddie (Lennon Stella) at the hospital. I love the sister-like intimacy between these two!
Out Of The Darkness
The doctors wanted to bring Rayna out of her induced coma, but warned the family of the possible consequences. (She could wake up brain dead, or she could wake up and not remember anyone!) I was shaking with anticipation.
Once she woke up, the doctor asked her to blink twice if she knew where she was. Two blinks. Yes, this was good. Then, he asked her if she knew who her family was in the room. Now, if she didn’t blink this could have gone very soap-operary, but thankfully, Rayna is one tough cookie — and she blinked twice!
Post-coma Rayna is now all about just living her life and leaving the past behind. (Really, Rayna? Can you really do that? I don’t think so.)
Also Worth Mentioning:
1. Scarlett (Clare Bowen) said no to Gunnar’s (Sam Palladio) unexpected proposal; they broke up and she moved out. But after their flawless duet during her last night at the Bluebird Cafe, it’s clear these two lovebirds are far from over!
2. Avery is Juliette’s new right-hand guitar man. There were a few moments where I saw the spark, and I’ll be honest, I want these two together. Team #Averette all the way!
3. Teddy’s (Eric Close) mistress, Peggy (Kimberly Williams-Paisley), miscarried their baby — but, of course, she failed to mention that to Teddy at dinner. This should end well..
4. Even though she was pretty adamant in her “addicts are addicts” speech to Scarlett, Juliette ended up posting Deacon’s bail. However, this was all for naught, because Deacon’s lawyer discovered that Deacon wasn’t driving the car and Rayna confirmed it. Deacon is a free man!
4. Lamar seemed to be genuinely concerned about Rayna and trying to make up not being there for Rayna’s mom when she died in a fiery car accident. Yet at the end of the episode, someone told Rayna’s sister that Lamar was involved in her mother’s death! (Say what?!)
HollywoodLifers, what did you think of the Nashville season premiere? Do you think Rayna is done with Deacon? Do you hope Scarlett and Gunnar reunite? Drop a comment with your thoughts below!
WATCH: ‘Nashville’ Season 2 Promo
— Avery Thompson