Nickelodeon Star Jennette McCurdy’s Mom Dies Of Cancer — So Sad

Fri, September 20, 2013 8:50pm EDT by 38 Comments
Jennette McCurdy Mom Died
Frederick M. Brown/Entertainment/Getty Images

What a tragedy. ‘iCarly’ and ‘Sam & Cat’ star Jennette McCurdy’s mom died on Sept. 20 after a long battle with breast cancer.

Jennette McCurdy is devastated by the loss of her mother, Debra McCurdy, whom she was very close to all her life. Debra fought cancer for 17 years before passing away on Sept. 20.

Jennette McCurdy’s Mom Died — Debra McCurdy Dead After 17-Year Cancer Battle

What a blow. After Debra’s cancer went into remission and she had been living cancer-free for more than 15 years, Jennette, 21, thought her mom had survived the worst. But the cancer came back in 2010 and spread throughout her body, making its way to her brain, according to TMZ.

Jennette was scheduled to host Nickelodean’s Worldwide Day of Play in New York City on Sept. 21, but TMZ is reporting that she had to cancel.

Poor Jennette must be beside herself as it’s clear her mom meant the world to her. Thankfully, she has the support of her friends, family and boyfriend, NBA Detroit Pistons’ player Andre Drummond, to get her through this.

Nickelodeon is also standing by the young star, saying in a statement to HollywoodLife.com:

“We are deeply saddened to learn that Debbie McCurdy, Jennette McCurdy’s mother, passed away. Much like her daughter, Debbie’s strength was an inspiration to everyone who knew her, especially those of us at Nickelodeon who considered her family. Our heartfelt thoughts go out to Jennette and her loved ones.”

Jennette McCurdy Opens Up About Her Mother’s Cancer In ‘Wall Street Journal’ Article

Jennette was dedicated to sharing her mother’s story with the world, and she even wrote an article called “Off-Camera, My Mom’s Fight With Cancer,” which was published in the Wall Street Journal in June, 2011. The article gave a detailed description of Debra’s long battle with cancer and revealed how she and her family coped with it. Jennette also offered suggestions for people who have a loved one who has cancer.

“I can’t imagine how difficult it must be for my mother to tolerate all she has gone through and continues to go through – the pain, the worry and the battle,” Jennette writes in the article. “She wakes up every day hurting and goes to sleep hurting even more. My mother, the constant optimist and effervescent, sprightly woman I know her to be, is caged along with this hideous beast they call cancer.”

We hope Jennette will take comfort in knowing her mother no longer has to suffer. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Jennette and her family during this difficult time.

– Tierney McAfee

More Sad Deaths:

1. James Gandolfini Dead: ‘Sopranos’ Actor Dies In Italy
  2. JJ Cale: Iconic Musician Dies At 74
  3. David ‘Kidd’ Kraddick: Radio Personality Dies At 53

Crystal

Posted at 12:55 AM on September 22, 2013

I’m so sorry jennette just remember she’s not suffering anymore

dfgjkml,

Posted at 11:05 PM on September 21, 2013

sorry for your lost

shalonda

Posted at 8:46 PM on September 21, 2013

I AM SO SORRY FOR UR LOSS MY PRAYERS ARE WIT AND UR FAM

LaroyaAdams (@LaroyaAdams1)

Posted at 5:16 PM on September 21, 2013

im sooooo sorry for your loss

LaroyaAdams (@LaroyaAdams1)

Posted at 5:18 PM on September 21, 2013

god bless you jennette mccurdy

Francine

Posted at 1:50 PM on September 21, 2013

Aww Jen I feal so bad for you me and your fans love you and won;t let anything happen to you. Your fans and I are part of your family we love you jens mum

Taylor

Posted at 12:52 PM on September 21, 2013

How can you people still be spamming after this tragic news? My thoughts go out to Jeanette.

cvncvnrturtu48

Posted at 9:30 AM on September 21, 2013

Unbelievable~~ My friend Lynn has just married to a handsome black man met through
♥ _ MīxedLuv.com _♥ Here is a Specialist interracial online dating & social networking site design for black and white singles interested in an interracial dating and relationship. Meet singles living in your local area or in countries around the world. If you are single,worthy a try.xb

mr morris

Posted at 9:13 AM on September 21, 2013

ARE YOU SEEKING FOR A RICH SUGAR MUMMY/DADDY IN NIGERIA, GHANA, SPAIN UK, ANYONE INTERESTED SHEULD CONTACT AFRI DATING AGENCY NIGERIA, my name is Mr Morris I am the only true legitimate agent for people who are seeking for rich and wealthy sugar mummies/daddies in nigeria, u can also have the opportunity to attend our sugar mummies parties and the executive ladies and men parties by contact afri dating agency nigeia, start call now for hooking up with one for our rich sugar mummies and sugar daddies. for all works of life, we covered all the state in nigeria, ghana, and siera leone, our company is registerd and license under Nigeria agency co-operation, start calling now to get connected to one today in Nigeria, ghana and serie leone and benin republic,(mr morris +23408170833598 +23408102864433) JOHNSTEVECIFF@Y/MORRISSTEVENICO@yahoo.com

gothicbarbie

Posted at 6:26 AM on September 21, 2013

so saaaaaaaaaaaad hope this wont clear JM`s beautiful smile away

Cocci love

Posted at 6:00 AM on September 21, 2013

I am so so sorry JM let God be with her.

kris

Posted at 4:43 AM on September 21, 2013

my thoughts are with you been there done that. not fun girl it dose get better remember the good memories

alesham4

Posted at 4:24 AM on September 21, 2013

So so sorry JM, prayers & blessings, love to you, your mom, family..#sweetsoul, <3

Bret

Posted at 3:45 AM on September 21, 2013

May God be with you Jennette. May your Mother rest in peace, my prayers are with you. I lost my Mother May 7th of this year. She was my rock, I adored her, so I feel your pain and anguish. Best wishes to you and your family.

Hannah Remington

Posted at 3:08 AM on September 21, 2013

#STAYSTRONJENNETTE!! I LOVE YOU!! YOU AND MY FAMILY WILL BE IN MY PRAYERS!! <3

Tasya

Posted at 2:12 AM on September 21, 2013

Rest In Peace.
And God Bless You, Jenn!

katiet

Posted at 1:42 AM on September 21, 2013

so sad im so sorry Jeanette my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I lost my mom when I was 13

Katie

Posted at 12:09 AM on September 21, 2013

OMG! So sorry :( but dang! I can’t believe she s 21!

sabrina

Posted at 11:40 PM on September 20, 2013

aww so sad. god bless her

Elayne

Posted at 11:16 PM on September 20, 2013

God bless you Jennete<3

Luli

Posted at 10:46 PM on September 20, 2013

Jennete :( love u

abe "The Full 100 Percent"

Posted at 10:43 PM on September 20, 2013

this is one of the hard things in life…………….

A

Posted at 10:42 PM on September 20, 2013

May she rest in peace

so sad

Posted at 10:23 PM on September 20, 2013

My condolences to her and her family to lose a parent must be devastating my prayers are with her

mncvmreu458

Posted at 9:48 PM on September 20, 2013

corrina williams

Posted at 8:56 PM on September 20, 2013

Aww so sad….god bless her soul forever <3 idk how will Jennette get though this.hopefully her boyfriend Andre supports her as a man would.and make her feel home,and to remember her mom,but at the same time accept she sadly gone,and always love and protect her mom in her heart!! God bless u Jennette and Debra.will u forever rest in peace Debra.dear lord lease protect Jennette in this tragic time,and keep her mother close to her!!!

corrina williams