‘Dexter’ Recap: Vogel Picks Between Dexter & The Brain Surgeon

Sun, September 8, 2013 10:00pm EDT by 12 Comments
Dexter Season 8 Episode 10 Recap
Courtesy of Showtime

Dexter always talks about how family is everything to him, and then he goes and underestimates Dr. Vogel’s bond to her Brain Surgeon son, Daniel. NOW look what you’ve done, Dex!

Dr. Vogel (Charlotte Rampling) turned to the dark side, after Dexter (Michael C. Hall) arrogantly underestimated the family of family ties. He simply can’t do it alone anymore — will he finally call on his own family and friends to defeat the Brain Surgeon?

Will Vogel Choose Brains Over Blood?

Vogel learned from her mistakes with her son, brain scooper aficionado Daniel (Darri Ingolfsson), in order to craft Dexter into a killing machine. And that’s why Daniel has been going around murdering a ton of people — he’s jealous! There’s so much mommy drama going on my head hurts.

Against her best judgment, Vogel is under the impression that she can help and fix her son. She’s hiding Zach Hamilton’s (Sam Underwood) death from the police, she’s protecting him from Dexter, and worse, she thinks she can still get him to go back to a mental institution.

But he doesn’t want to go to a loony bin; He wants to become the next Bay Harbor Butcher.

Dexter continuously tries to show Vogel the truth — at one point going so far to show her a video of her son sawing Zach’s head in half. I can’t tell if Dex wants to protect Vogel or is just thirsty for some Brain Surgeon blood.

Viva La Argentina?

As if there weren’t enough headaches, Dexter is actually serious about moving to Argentina with Hannah McKay (Yvonne Strahovsky). Debra’s (Jennifer Carpenter) initial reaction — she uses the F word more the once — is similar to mine. Thankfully, he’s not going to go anywhere before killing the Brain Surgeon.

I’m glad they’re showing Dexter do all the mundane stuff you have to do when you move to a new city — quitting his job, saying goodbye to friends. I just wish they showed him calling the bank to change his address. On the other hand, what’s going to happen when Dex doesn’t actually leave Miami?

He’s going to have a hard time leaving with that pesky U.S. Marshall still on his tail — he’s sort of interested in the fact that Dexter is trying to skip town. Stick with Hannah McKay, Dex, that one’s a winner!

Best Laids Plans Totally Fall Apart

In legitimately the dumbest thing that has ever happened, wily little Harrison slams face-first into a treadmill at Deb’s house, and instead of just patching him up, Hannah BRINGS HIM TO A HOSPITAL!!! I don’t know who’s dumber — Harrison for trying to run 30 miles per hour, or Hannah for going out in public when she knows how much heat is on her. And oh yeah, she totally implicates Dexter by attaching herself to his son. I do know who’s dumber — Hannah is.

The recurring theme here is that Dexter can’t decide whether to protect his family or protect Vogel. At his father’s (aka his own subconscious’) urging, he begrudgingly heads to Vogel’s to finish off Daniel.

Unfortunately Vogel isn’t as good of a liar as a psychopath, so Daniel realizes that he’s being set up. Dexter gets to Vogel’s house just in time to see Daniel slit her throat.

I really enjoyed our time with Dr. Vogel. Meeting Dexter’s maker was a real treat. But Dexter’s reaction — sadness followed by total rage — after seeing her die indicates that this is not nearly over.

Two more to go, guys.

– Andrew Gruttadaro

More ‘Dexter’ Recaps:

1. ‘Dexter’ Recap: Dexter Gets A New Protege & Sees An Old Friend
  2. ‘Dexter’ Recap: Dexter & Debra Team Up To Save The Day
  3. ‘Dexter’ Recap: Vogel Pushes The Morgans Over The Edge

Almeda

Posted at 9:28 AM on January 9, 2014

I am sure this post has touched all the internet viewers, its really really fastidious post on building up new
blog.

特価 トレンチコート 品質合格

Posted at 10:48 PM on December 30, 2013

When someone writes an piece of writing he/she maintains the thought of a user in
his/her brain that how a user can know it.
Therefore that’s why this paragraph is amazing.
Thanks!

超歓迎 パンプス 最高級

Posted at 2:47 AM on December 8, 2013

Heya i’m for the primary time here. I came across this board
and I in finding It really helpful & it helped me out a lot.
I am hoping to offer something again and help others like you helped me.

大人気 スクエアトゥ 通販

Posted at 11:54 PM on November 26, 2013

Do you have any video of that? I’d like to find out
some additional information.

バーバリー マフラー メンズ

Posted at 5:22 AM on November 25, 2013

バーバリー(Burberry)コート、マフラーとストールを海外通販!バーバリー(Burberry)の 定番から日本未入荷、入手困難なバーバリー トレンチコートを世界のアウトレット店舗 からいち早く通販・輸入代行!全国送料無料 !

Quentin

Posted at 5:03 AM on November 15, 2013

I’ve been surfing online more than three hours these days,
but I never discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours.
It is pretty value enough for me. In my view, if all site owners and
bloggers made just right content material as you probably did, the internet
shall be much more useful than ever before.

エルメス エコバッグ

Posted at 8:27 AM on October 27, 2013

Does your blog have a contact page? I’m having a tough
time locating it but, I’d like to send you an e-mail. I’ve got some suggestions for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it improve over
time.

Sharon

Posted at 11:27 AM on September 9, 2013

Dexter has left the building. The characters we are seeing now do not resemble those we used to know. Yet, I do know what happened. Instead, these are Pod People. Cases of bodies snatched, never to be returned. Aliens from outer space.

Hannah

Posted at 9:56 AM on September 9, 2013

Good one, gerodive! You said it. Thanks. Spares me the work. Except – you forgot the most likely solver of this unspeakable mess: The one black girl who must now be lieutenant because Quinn isn’t. She’ll come back out from the pool of series-deaths, having been Elway’s lover all along and smack’em all out into space. Of course not Hanna. Because she’ll survive it all and get her own series.

gerodive

Posted at 6:44 AM on September 9, 2013

Yikes. This show was clearly written by the actor who plays Harrison. I think this show will go down in history as the most amazing spectacle of lost potential. To go from the best to the absolute worst show on television over the course of 8 seasons is truly a commendable feat.

The writing is so scatterbrained and nonsensical that I literally nothing could surprise me at this point. Deb is probably next on the chopping block. Then maybe Saxon is killed by… Matthews? No, Masuka’s daughter. No Matthews. Yeah. Then Matthews kills Dexter too and we learn that he knew about Dexter the whole time. Or maybe Quinn becomes the new Dexter. It’d all make just about as much sense.

Scott

Posted at 4:13 PM on September 9, 2013

Don’t be so dramatic. Worst show on tv? Really? You’ve never seen True Blood or other crap like that?

abe

Posted at 1:21 AM on September 9, 2013

……it was just a mental problem, folks.