‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Recap: Did [Spoiler] Really Die In Season Finale Tragedy?

Thu, May 16, 2013 10:52pm EDT by 33 Comments
Grey's Anatomy Richard Dies
Courtesy of ABC

VIVA Hasta Manana (@VivaRunor)

Posted at 5:01 AM on August 20, 2014

Burke Preston left Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital and wasn’t heard of again, Izzie Stevens had cancer, left Alex Karev and wasn’t heard of again, George O’Mairley died when he voluntarily joined the army in a war, Mark Sloan and Lexie Grey died after the plane crashed, Robbins Arizona had one of her legs amputated after the surviving the plane crash, Adele Richards [wife of Dr. Richard Webber] died of alzheimer.

Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital was to be sold to Pergusis, a company which intended liquidating the company and firing its staff but was intercepted as the deal was cancelled and most of the fellows, and attendings had to sum up their benefits derived from the Plane insurance company alongside Richard Webber’s girlfriend, Catherine Avery and bought the hospital.

Grey’s Anatomy is more of a tragedy.

Amelie Ollie Johanson

Posted at 5:49 AM on March 30, 2014

Shonda is evil !!!!!!!!! After Lexie and Mark, now Richard !!!!!!!!! What’s going on in her evil head !!!!!!

Katie

Posted at 8:34 AM on May 9, 2014

March 2014. How do you not know that he didn’t actually die?

Gloria Hall

Posted at 2:27 PM on December 7, 2013

The writer is too cruel. My God, are you serious is Richard really dead, the script writer must be joking, who next, the main character? Meredith half sister died horribly, Mark died, Izzy gone, George out the picture too and nobody resurface. Oh dramatic, it keep you on the edge but there is no happy ending in this show pure drama and sadness.

Brenda

Posted at 5:14 PM on August 14, 2013

While I am saddened that Sandra Oh has decided to leave the show, I am pleased that she is allowing the character of Christina to be written out of the series rather than just disappearing. After so many seasons, this is so much more respectful of the fans. Thanks for your vibrant portrayal of this wonderfully written character.

Narin

Posted at 3:40 PM on August 3, 2013

Richard is not going to die yes?? please say that he’s not going to die.

Eugene

Posted at 10:19 AM on July 11, 2013

Richard Webber is one of the original cast members , he’s like the heart of the show , that’s what made me become a true fan . I hope Shonda Rhimes keep him on the show till the end of the series we already have lost some key cast members , sometimes change is not always good , stick with what works , But thats just my opinion .

Angie

Posted at 11:31 AM on June 8, 2013

I hope they get rid of Arizona. If I have to hear “tiny humans” and “makers of tiny humans” one more season, I’ll explode. Owen is just creepy. Those vampire teeth are hard to look at as well as his phony “jaw-drop” look. Go ahead and bash me for my opinions. You have yours and I have mine.

Guy Greys fan

Posted at 11:56 PM on May 28, 2013

The only Problem I have with Dr. Webber’s electrocution & likely death, is how painfully obvious in coming it was. When he found the hospitals head maintenance man, I could hear the sloshing & dripping water, & figured he had been electrocuted. But when he turn out to be “OK” (relatively speaking), & told Richard the lever just had to be switched on, I knew what would happen. Very, Very obvious.
Hope the character is alive & will be back.

Bäckchen

Posted at 8:06 PM on May 25, 2013

If Christina and Owen are really over, I would love to see Preston Burke come back. I’d like to see how Christina would feel about that and if there was still this chemistry between them. I loved Burke on the series and I almost died when he left in season 3.

hank

Posted at 4:58 PM on May 28, 2013

burke is to old for her, she belongs with owen

neda

Posted at 7:22 PM on June 3, 2013

he isnt to old for her he is too mature for her

Sydney

Posted at 1:59 AM on September 20, 2013

Burke was asked to leave because of the whole incident with T.R. Knight.

Amelie Ollie Johanson

Posted at 5:50 AM on March 30, 2014

What incident w/ T.R. knight ??

Sharon

Posted at 4:09 PM on May 18, 2013

I think its time to show gay divorces… Arizona may have anger issues with Callie but that does NOT give her permission for adultery! I agree with the Christina and Owen split. If you love something so hard it becomes smothering….you have to be willing to let go and if they come back you are meant for each other! Smothering causes nothing but pain ultimately for both parties involved.

Sareil

Posted at 12:59 PM on May 17, 2013

For next year… I think I’ll need candies and unicorns.
Jokes aside, I really liked this season, thought it has been hard to say goodbye to Mark (I still cry when I see that scene). I was really scared that Jackson could die in the explosion but I foresaw Richards electrocution since he found the other man in the basement. Sooo, I just hope Owen and Cristina WILL be together and that life will be brighter for Meredith and Derek.
P.s. I’m waiting for April and Jackson’s happy ending.

Reese

Posted at 9:53 AM on May 17, 2013

Possible spoilers – based on internet interviews

SHONDA RHIMES PROMISED US THAT OWEN AND CRISTINA WOULD BE TOGETHER. She had better remember that before the end of the next season.
Also, James Pickens Jr. (Richard Webber) signed on for seasons 9 & 10, so hopefully he’s still alive.

tina

Posted at 11:09 PM on June 13, 2013

i hope he dosent leave the show im miss the show please put it back on and when it going to be back on

Vivian

Posted at 7:30 AM on May 17, 2013

When Callie and Arizona broke up I was on the floor, screaming my heart out. When April confessed her love to Jackson I started yelling at him to give her a reason because JacksonxxApril for life. When Yowen broke up I was sad but agreed. I meant, Hunt had more chemistry with a kid than Cristina (bit I still loved them together) and then Richard died, still on the floor from the Calzona break-up, I started crying and I couldn’t breathe and i couldn’t talk and it was… Ahhh! Why would they do that to me? I’m an avid Scandal watcher but I couldn’t even watch it last night because my mind waa still on Webber. RIP Dr. Richard Webber! You will be missed

Jls

Posted at 8:27 PM on May 17, 2013

Dear, get a life that brings you feelings of your own.

Kadia

Posted at 8:52 PM on May 17, 2013

LOL your killed me!

osinuga funmilola

Posted at 6:02 AM on May 17, 2013

i nid al d info

Mattia

Posted at 4:08 AM on May 17, 2013

Just a small advice. If you really want not to spoiler, you’d better change the name of the page… “Richard Dead” is a pretty clear message ;-))

Love Grey's

Posted at 1:37 AM on May 17, 2013

I really hope that Chief Webber did not die. I am glad the Christina and Owen is going separate ways, their relationship was making Christina soft. I love her hardcore attitude. I feel sorry for Kelly, Arizona is a BI and should be glad that Kelly saved her life. I can barely wait to next season.

joanne

Posted at 1:03 AM on May 17, 2013

Hope Richard doesn’t die, and it would be great if Callie and Arizona put their differences aside and get back together, it would absolutely great to see Kim Raver come back and Izzie
can hardly wait for the new season to begin Grey’s Anatomy is still my favorite show hope they continue for a long time. Thanks for a great season. PS I sure hope Sandra Oh continues to play a major role on Grey’s she is an amazing character and she is Canadian and that makes me proud.

Ana

Posted at 12:30 AM on May 17, 2013

the minute Richard stepped into the electricity room, I knew he was going to die. But for some reason I thought Callie wouldn’t know about Arizona just yet, and I died when Christina and Own broke up :(

Leilah

Posted at 12:55 AM on May 17, 2013

I don’t think Webber is gonna die; James Pickens, Jr., signed a 2-yr contract last year.

Elaine

Posted at 1:23 AM on May 17, 2013

Im so sad I love Christine, she much better when she with someone, can we bring her old boyfriend..the one she going to married.. are keep her with Owen

Anna

Posted at 12:09 AM on May 17, 2013

WTF? Rewatch the finale! Arizona DID NOT end her relationship with Callie………

Luchi

Posted at 11:47 PM on May 16, 2013

I cried when the bus exploaded, I couldn’t afford to lose Jackson!! And I totally knew April would have that change of heart after. I want to see them together already! I’m mad at Arizona, she’s so messed up, c’mon! Poor Callie, men AND women cheat on her. I’m kinda sad about Chief Webber being gone, but he wasn’t really essential to the storyline anymore, so I understand someone had to die, you know, for the end-of-season tears.

Elaine

Posted at 1:25 AM on May 17, 2013

April and Jackson is the next hot couple…:) HOT

Caroline wilkinson

Posted at 8:48 PM on June 4, 2013

No no no…. Jackson & April so so not compatible.

abe

Posted at 11:05 PM on May 16, 2013

they first wanted Jim Carrey for the finale.
BUT THIS WAS TOO FUNNY FOR FANS TO WATCH.