‘Sex and the City’ Author: Sarah Jessica Parker’s Too Old For Third Movie

Mon, March 25, 2013 6:10pm EST by 52 Comments
Sex and the City 3
Courtesy Of HBO, FameFlynet

Say it isn’t so! Candace Bushnell, author of ‘Sex and the City,’ doesn’t think there will be a third film in the long-running franchise.

Fans who may have been hoping for a third movie in the Sex and the City franchise, shouldn’t hold their breath. Due to Sarah Jessica Parker’s age, Candace Bushnell, the author of Sex and the City, doesn’t think there will be a third installment on the big screen.

“No. Look, Sarah Jessica Parker is 47. I think with the second movie, Carrie Bradshaw couldn’t be an ingenue anymore. But I think they were stuck doing what the audience wanted. Realistically, a middle-aged woman who was married without children would be much more focused on her career and less focused on this Mr. Big: ‘Does he love me?’ … ‘Does he still not love me?’ I mean, I think it was coming to the end of what they could do with the character,” Candace told The Daily Beast.

Some fans may celebrate this new development. While the first movie was loved by fans and critics, the second was panned across all platforms. Fans felt let down by the second installment, and the thought of a third movie may make some nervous.

Candace Bushnell: How I Would Have Changed The Second Movie

Candace doesn’t believe the girls should have left New York City in the sequel. If you recall, they traveled to Abu Dhabi and got into all sorts of shenanigans overseas.

“If it were up to me, the second movie would have been Carrie Bradshaw decides to run for mayor and Samantha helps her. It would get into some real issues of what happens when you’re part of a relationship and the woman is ambitious. What does that do to her relationship with Mr. Big? To me, that would be interesting. But they were not going to go there,” Candace said.

Candace would have possibly also changed the end game for Carrie and Big if she directed the second film.

Carrie & Big Would’ve Never Ended Up Together In Real Life

“[Carrie and Big would not end up together in real life]. In real life, I don’t think women end up with that character, and if they do, they usually get divorced after a year. He couldn’t commit. Here’s the thing. I think the character Carrie and Mr. Big, it became in the audiences’ mind a very romantic story,” Candace added.

While we appreciate Candace’s opinions, we’d LOVE to have a SatC 3! And SJP is definitely not too old to win our hearts over again!

What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Should there be a Sex and the City 3?

WATCH: Will There Be A ‘Sex and the City 3′ Movie?

— Chris Rogers

More ‘Sex and the City’ News:

1. Is ‘Sex And The City’ Returning To Television With Sarah Jessica Parker?
  2. ‘Sex And The City’ Author Candace Bushnell To Divorce
  3. ‘Gossip Girl’ Series Finale Pays Homage To ‘Sex And The City’

Simona Stoeva

Posted at 5:21 PM on October 11, 2014

Please do the third movie. I am a bulgarian fan and i am watched all seasons and movies min. 10 times. I really like the storyes and really really want the 3rd movie, This is my favourite movie.

Ashley Mulens

Posted at 6:53 AM on October 8, 2014

I typically think that “Sex in the city” is a true story of how real life is with woman now a days. Between love, trust, and relationships in friendship and men in Geral is just a story most woman can relate too. I mean how many woman don’t choose to be with the person that really doesn’t suit them the fact that men do what they do and women love the trouble and when the nice guy does come around we screw it all up. I think its worth making a 3rd film. The shows and first two movies were splendid! If I tell u I’ve watched the movie more then 100 times I’d be lieing. I absuluty Love it!

Marsha Randolph

Posted at 10:13 PM on September 16, 2014

I’m holding breath for the third installment. Of course, there many storyline options, and yes Carrie can be successfully married, and have a successfully career. I wonder who are these people who does not understand or appreciate that way of thinking. We need more Carrie Bradshaw Preston’s inspiration. If you are short on a storyline, contact Marsha Randolph, Westlake Village, CA.

Jawahna

Posted at 7:26 PM on August 2, 2014

I actually loved SATC 2 & want a 3! 2 was back to the girls and their awesome friendship. 1 was emotionally draining. I really didn’t like that, but loved seeing the girls back together again. When the show first started I was very young, now I’m mid thirties, I’d really value seeing an aging Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha, and Miranda! It’d really help me. There would be great fashion tips!

Luana (@Lunworks)

Posted at 2:44 AM on June 1, 2014

I so want a 3rd movie…whats wrong with being middle aged? There a alot of us out here…still looking & with children. This goes deep with friendship.marriages,break ups etc. PLEASE SJP we want a 3rd movie !!!!!!

Kat

Posted at 9:11 PM on August 23, 2014

A 3rd movie would be just divine – please please please. I was in Deadwood South Dakota and was in a line to play the Sex and City gambling machine – the young women in the line were just as much fans as me – I am 56 years old – they were in their 20s. PLEASE – give us another shot of SATC – the theme song should be “i’m so Fancy” by Iggy A.

Janina McGregor

Posted at 9:32 AM on May 20, 2014

Yes, all the “girls” are older. My question is….SO WHAT??? That only means that their situations will be new and unique to their older ages – which would make for a very interesting movie! And isn’t making an “interesting” movie what it’s all about? why does this society think that only women under 40 can be interesting? that’s ridiculous! So right..maybe women in their twenties will not go to see the movie…BOO-HOO! Who cares? The original fan base of the shows would love to see where life takes these women! there are enough movies starring young twenty something women as it is…and frankly, I find them kind of boring!

Diane

Posted at 9:14 AM on February 22, 2014

I would like to see a more real life situation in SATC 3. I’m the same age as the three younger, and know every story by heart and watch on a regular basis for mindless viewing. Why? It was very real to me. The characters were going through what my girlfriends and I went through. Movie #1 was GREAT. Movie #2 not good, but dumb plot. Should have stayed in NY and done a run in with Aiden.
#3? A character dies. Whether Big or one of the ladies….. This is the story yet to be written. Grief, friendship, recovery. This is life.

jessica

Posted at 4:28 PM on February 1, 2014

I think SJP n the other girls should be in a 3rd movie. I my self love sex and the city. SJP is not to old she’s a very pretty lady n so are the others.

April Ferns

Posted at 6:18 PM on January 8, 2014

Yes Sex and the City is a wonderful thing. I’ve enjoyed them all. And I think age is just a number. I would love to see a third movie. Those women were older in the second one so why should it matter if their age predetermined the likely hood of a third movie. Make it a couples retreat theme style or a vacation with the men. Come on author…think woman.

michelle

Posted at 2:36 AM on December 5, 2013

This show has brought joy and a few tears over the years and i would love the idea of a new satc. The only thing i would change is make Aiden and Carrie get together, i always thought they were a better couple.

debbie

Posted at 2:57 AM on November 23, 2013

Yes bring it back..give us older women hope we aint dead yet…i loved that show..samantha should marry that young guy who stood by her thru cancer ..ets have another wedding..hell yea sex&the city..Love it…real women dealing with real life…old women have sex tooo…

debbie

Posted at 2:41 AM on November 23, 2013

Yes..yes..yes..bring on more sex and the city..just love it…i love samantha. All of them please..please..please..2014

Terri

Posted at 3:08 PM on November 21, 2013

YES YES YES…I’m watching Sex & The City right now and I think I was the best tv series ever made! I watch it all the time and it makes me so happy. I loved both movies too, I was sad when Amanda moved to LA & she & Smith parted ways but I could totally see them together in the future. I know their love was of a deep nature. Also, I can see Carrie & Big adopting a child or perhaps even a child from Big’s past that he never knew about coming into the picture. Oh what great stories could come from that. I have a vivid imagination and can think of all sorts of storylines for these incredible ladies & gents for a 3rd, 4th, 5th & beyond…I LOVE SEX & THE CITY…Bring it on!!!

Karen hutchinson

Posted at 7:14 PM on August 8, 2014

Now I like that idea

Rey Kara

Posted at 12:07 AM on November 12, 2013

Yes, They should probably have a Sex in the city 3 and have Carrie be a Single parent as it seems like she is not able to hold a relationship together. It is new york. let’s be realistic so many single people is the normal. Just cause a woman is approaching 50 and unmarried it doesnt mean she stops living her life by her own terms and convictions. Have a Carrie running a Magazine or something successful maybe with child and single in the city.

Jen S

Posted at 3:51 PM on October 12, 2013

I loved the second movie! Nice to see a movie with a happy ending for a change. Why do people think that movies have to end on a sour note in order to be deemed realistic or successful nowadays? I’d love to see a third movie with Samantha marrying Smith! With reality often so depressing, what’s wrong with a little happiness in a movie?

Jlsac

Posted at 6:02 AM on October 5, 2013

Please oh please let there be a third!! I love the series and the movies, I wasn’t disappointed at all with either movie. My friends and I are all 30 something mothers whom aren’t at all distracted by Carrie and Big not having children. We have been watching sex and the city since it began intact we have sex and the city parties. I know for me Im hoping so much for a third…

FineTexan

Posted at 1:31 PM on September 25, 2013

I want to see Sex and the City 3, 4, 5, 6, etc…Sex and the City Golden Girls!!! I am getting older and it fits me fine. I am not the only one.

yahoothom

Posted at 11:10 PM on September 23, 2013

No there should be no third movie…the Women are to old to be chasing me like giddly school girls…get some pride women of America….Carrie ended up with an emotionally unavailable man that was tired by the 2nd movie wanted to watch TV that part was real, that he gave into her and went out again…that is BS. Men know what I am talking about Big was tired and Carrie was needy…NOT ROMANTIC at All

Melissa T

Posted at 5:11 PM on September 22, 2013

YES!! I’d love to see a third, mostly just to see how the characters deal with aging and moving on to bigger and better things. How does Chatlotte deal with her daughter dating? Miranda & Steve being the “it” couple in the burbs; Carrie & Big -kids? Or does she run for mayor or does Samantha?? There are a lot of storylines available for them!! CMON!!!!

FineTexan

Posted at 1:33 PM on September 25, 2013

Yes, not all the people in the world are young! We older woment would like to see them age. They can still have adventures and live their lives in an interesting way. Hail to BIG and CARRIE! They were meant to be.

m adams

Posted at 8:51 PM on July 20, 2013

What is SJP now about 60?

girlwest

Posted at 10:28 AM on August 10, 2013

no 47! but why does age have to come into it ….why can’t they just continue the series. I for one just loved the series so much…..the movies not so much…….I would love to just see them in day to day life and follow their journey…..none of them seem to have been in anything else on a regular basis and I just think it is such a shame that it didn’t continue…..what does this say that a women in her 40 plusyears is not worth watching?????

FineTexan

Posted at 1:41 PM on September 25, 2013

I am afraid that is what some ‘joy killer’s think. Look at Golden Girls…I had two long term relationships and my men liked to watch Golden Girls contrary to what I would have thought.
I watch and watch Sex and the City over over again.I have the complete set. I was one who had not seen it originally and when I found it! WOW!
I thought the Dubai movie was COOL because of the setting – a fantasy! Charlotte’s daughters could be teenagers. I want to see Brady grow bigger. There are so many plots that could be developed from life which the cast could easily fit into. I don’t like TV shows and movies about 20-30 years old of today. They are boring.

Janet McWilliams

Posted at 7:00 AM on October 6, 2013

She’s 48 and you’re extremely rude for saying that. You know damn good and well what their ages are.. SJP & Kristen 48, Cynthia is 46/47 and Kim is 56 and looks amazing. They all look great and they all made a huge fortune on the Sex and The City franchise because it was a fantastic show. The fashion was amazing, the apts, NYC, their careers. That is the ultimate fantasy life or true to form life now for many, many women because of that show. Millions of women ended up actually moving to NYC and began careers because THAT show inspired them to do so. NYC is exciting, it’s where everything is happening and the careers when and if you make it, that’s where you want to be.Exciting city, the best and the list goes on…

Janet McWilliams

Posted at 7:23 AM on October 6, 2013

I meant to say it brought out a dialogue.. not brang..eek. Just read that and got sick.