Mayim Bialik: ‘Big Bang Theory’ Star Finally Stops Breastfeeding

Sat, February 9, 2013 12:09pm EDT by 13 Comments
Mayim Bialik Breastfeeding
Twitter

Mayim reluctantly stopped breastfeeding her 4-year-old son in November, the actress recently said. Did she wait too long?

Mayim Bialik, an advocate of attachment parenting, caused some controversy in 2011, when it was revealed that she still breastfed her 3-year-old son. Surprisingly, The Big Bang Theory actress put an end to breastfeeding her son Fred, but it wasn’t until this past November, when he was 4-years-old.

“I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss being able to latch him on and make it all better. We have other ways to soothe Fred now,” Mayim wrote on the Jewish website Kveller.

Attachment parenting involves extended breastfeeding, potty training without diapers, a natural birth among other things.

“From the time that Fred night-weaned a year ago, he was nursing about once a day, but not always once a day. Sometimes he’d go a few days without nursing. After night-weaning, he could nurse anywhere but in the bed, since it invariably made him think of nursing all night, which he did like a real champ for his entire happy milky life until he was 3. And I didn’t want to go back to that,” she explained.

“I nursed Fred four to six times a night for three years. I pumped at work for Fred from the time I got the job on The Big Bang Theory when he was 18 months old until he was 3. I didn’t nurse him literally anywhere, anytime, but I made sure to meet his needs and have mine satisfied as well,” Mayim added.

What do YOU think, HollyMoms? Did Mayim wait too long to wean her son off of breastfeeding? How do you feel about attachment parenting?

— Chris Rogers

More Mayim Bialik News:

1. Mayim Bialik STILL Breastfeeds Her 3-Year-Old Son! Is This Wrong Or Perfectly Normal?
  2. Mayim Bialik Divorcing Husband Michael Stone After 9 Years
  3. ‘Big Bang Theory’ Star Mayim Bialik’s ‘Unschooling’ Parenting Style — Progressive Or Crazy?

Lacey

Posted at 12:33 AM on August 18, 2013

As far as I am concerned it is no-ones business but Mayim’s and her childs. So people need to keep their opinions to themselves. If you don’t like it don’t look.

Jackie

Posted at 7:33 PM on March 1, 2013

The world wide average to wean a child is 4.5 years old. The US is way behind on the times and seem to find breastfeeding beyond 6 months repulsive.
What she is doing is natural, beautiful, and most importantly, her choice.

kelly

Posted at 8:13 PM on February 16, 2013

her PhD is a farce and her using the title is disgusting. she never published and no one else in the UCLA grad program was able to get away with what she did.

Laurie

Posted at 12:57 AM on February 11, 2013

SICK, SICK, SICK!!!

molly

Posted at 3:03 PM on February 10, 2013

Chris Rogers, do some research. Attachment Parenting is not one thing. Most APers do not breastfeed until age 4, most potty train with diapers. There are extremes in AP, but most of what AP is has been done by mothers since time began. It is about building a trust and closeness between parent and child. Please don’t write about AP like you have the first flipping clue what you are talking about.

PM

Posted at 9:09 AM on February 10, 2013

Okay, first – yuck. As usual, she is all TMI. And 2nd – SHE IS RUINING TBBT WITH HER FUGLY REPELLENT HATEFULNESS. I now find myself changing the channel whenever her character is onscreen.

Lexine

Posted at 6:04 PM on February 9, 2013

i guess her son really liked to suck on her nipple practice so when you get older dude

S

Posted at 2:05 PM on February 9, 2013

Why is the word “Finally” in the title?

abe is doing it!!

Posted at 1:13 PM on February 9, 2013

his mother stopped breastfeeding when he was three years old? …………..much MUCH too early. …………….DON’T STOP UNTILL THE WEDDING NIGHT, folks!!

mzvanessa

Posted at 12:34 PM on February 9, 2013

Reblogged this on Just Winging It…. and commented:
I don’t understand all this hype over ‘attachment parenting’ like it’s something new. Baby wearing, natural led child weaning, co sleeping, all of that isn’t new. Our species have been doing these things since the dawn of time. Suddenly people have decided that these things aren’t ‘proper’ and that people who practice ‘attachment parenting’ are weird.
What I want to know is who’s business is it how someone parents? or whether they decide to breastfeed? Or when they decide is right to wean? When did society decide that it’s ok to decide what another person does with their child?

mzvanessa

Posted at 12:32 PM on February 9, 2013

Cricket

Posted at 2:56 PM on February 9, 2013

When people like Ms. Bialik talk about it incessantly. If people would keep quiet one way or the other, no one would even know or care.

JstaGirl

Posted at 4:15 PM on February 9, 2013

BULL. just before my child turned one people started questioning me on when i would wean her. I didn’t talk about my choices, I simply did what I thought worked for us. They started harping on me as soon as she was past the age the considered to be appropriate, so don’t give me this ‘people wouldn’t care’ crap, because people do.