Cassadee Pope Lied For Sympathy Votes, Says Her Father

Thu, December 20, 2012 7:32pm EDT by 62 Comments
Cassadee Pope Father
Courtesy of NBC

‘The Voice’ winner is a phony, according to her father. Lenny Pope says Cassadee’s sob story about being abandoned was all a ploy to get more votes and win the singing competition. How scandalous!

Cassadee Pope is riding high after becoming the first female winner of The Voice on Dec. 18. But her newfound happiness may be short lived, as her estranged father Lenny Pope is making some pretty outrageous allegations about her. He says that his “heart ripped right out of my chest” when he heard Cassadee say that she was abandoned by him, and he thinks she was “manipulated” by NBC to make the show more interesting. Read on to hear what else he had to say.

LENNY’S CLAIMS

Cassadee was the favorite to win The Voice for a long time, and she and her mentor Blake Shelton rejoiced when she won the coveted record contract. But not everyone is happy for Cassadee, as her father Lenny has slammed claims that she was abandoned by him, and he says that she owes her success to him.

“I was the one that supported her from the start,” Lenny tells Star. “Who do you think paid for Cassadee’s voice lessons? Private school? Instruments? Who drove her to competitions, talent contests, talent shows and paid for gas money and hotels? My ex-wife was a stay-at-home mom  — I paid for all of it. I worked 22 hours a day, seven days a week for nine years. I was a pastry chef, and the hours were long.”

“My wife and girls did their thing and had fun, and I worked. I broke my neck working to support them, and this is what I get?” continues Lenny.

And Lenny says that he was the one to encourage Cassadee to try out for a televised singing competition. “I told her to do American Idol right after Kelly Clarkson [won], but she said she didn’t want to be part of reality TV. I couldn’t understand why.”

Lenny doesn’t blame Cassadee entirely for suggesting he was a deadbeat dad, instead he blames the higher powers: “I feel like NBC manipulated what Cassadee said to make me out to be terrible.” Lenny has plans to sue NBC for defamation of character. And while he is angry about the situation, he insists that he “loves” Cassadee.

Lenny makes some very controversial and outrageous statements, and he seems very bitter about how he has been portrayed. Is Cassadee a fake, or is he just lashing out?

What do YOU think HollywoodLifers? Is Cassadee a phony, or is her dad just bitter?

WATCH: Cassadee Pope Wins The Voice Season 3 – Plus Season 4 Preview! ENTV

– Eleanore Hutch

More Cassadee Pope News:

1. Blake Shelton Ready To Be ‘The Bad Guy’ To Protect Cassadee Pope
  2. Adam Levine: ‘Voice’ Winner Cassadee Pope Should Release A Song Now
  3. Cassadee Pope: Thought I Would Be Eliminated From ‘The Voice’

lol

Posted at 1:53 AM on January 26, 2013

lol how would he have encouraged her to go on american idol RIGHT AFTER kelly clarkson won… that was over 10 years ago! she would have been 13 years old and not even eligible for the show (and i hardly doubt an accomplished or well-trained singer at that age). Silly.

Audiochaser

Posted at 11:52 AM on January 6, 2013

Who Cares!! Do you like her music? Buy It! Do you not like her music? Dont buy it! Her personal history has nothing to do with her career. Look behind MOST of the greatest artists out there………major issues, still love their music though. Dissing someone because they won is poor sportsmanship. I dont care for most of her stuff but I aint going to kill her career because of it. IT WAS A VOTE, SHE WON. GET OVER IT.

Brian

Posted at 11:37 AM on January 5, 2013

Sir there may have been a few sympathy votes for her but for you to think that she won it because of that shows your arrogance. So her winning had nothing to do with her voice or god given talent? or the fact that she could relate to the songs she sang and put the feelings into her music? you are sadly mistaken or just Sad get over it with this article you have had your 15 minutes of fame!!!!!!!! Now you don’t have to go away mad just GO AWAY!!!

Cristina

Posted at 12:26 PM on January 4, 2013

… Did he sleep an hour a day? -_-

Bill

Posted at 7:53 PM on January 2, 2013

And don’t forget about Kevin Hunte, who the whole time was claiming New York City as his home. But when the time time came for the return trip back home, he went to Georgia! Big misundestanding? Noooo. He knew he would get more hometown votes along the way if he claimed New York City as his town. The whole show is crap, all reality tv is crap. Phonies, fakes. Bring back Elvis!

bathos

Posted at 2:17 PM on January 1, 2013

why is it that you give the worst two possible choices? its a pretty sensitive issue. its just my opinion.

bailey

Posted at 2:55 PM on December 30, 2012

She didn’t live in poverty. She was spoiled and I saw her father at school everyday and so did she.

dan mathews

Posted at 2:37 PM on December 28, 2012

Corrections to my previous dictation.. NBC not CBS and Karma not Carma.

dan mathews

Posted at 2:26 PM on December 28, 2012

First of all, there is no such word as “hurted”. Second, the article says nothing about suing his daughter, only CBS. A claim of defamation against CBS would have to be proven in a court of law. So, if he can prove he was wrongfully defamed by CBS, then he WAS. If he can’t, then he likely wasn’t. This wouldn’t be your run of the mill lawsiuts, CBS pays good money for good attorneys, which means Lenny would have to hire a good, high dollar attorney himself. If he was defamed, I wish him luck. I’m a hard working father myself, and I say carma be damned.

ChiaXiong

Posted at 10:37 PM on December 26, 2012

It doesn’t even matter if it’s all true or not. As a loving parent. You would NEVER do that to your own child. even if they hurted you… it’s just selfish. Let Karma do it’s job…

WildRhymer

Posted at 2:32 AM on December 26, 2012

hard to know who to believe …….I wouldn’t expect him to “confirm” that he was a lousy dad, and in my opinion that was NOT played up that much ….

Emma

Posted at 11:29 PM on December 23, 2012

if her dad didnt abandon her then where was he during the ENTIRE competition. you saw her mom and sister and boyfriend there throughout the entire show, where is he? he didnt care.

Bronwyn Eileen McAuley

Posted at 8:56 PM on December 23, 2012

I’m sure that if he loved to have the money she would get then he would support her, not defame her by making the allegations. Read in between the lines..she is a good singer and she should owe him for all he has done to make her voice that way..or she would be nothing, absolutely nothing so I’m behind her dad.

Kate

Posted at 7:17 PM on December 23, 2012

He sounds like a jerk! He is talking about what he did for her a decade ago. What about since then? Why wasn’t he around from the start of her being on The Voice? Now that she has won he wants to take credit and wants $$$.

Yogi279

Posted at 5:55 PM on December 23, 2012

Honestly. If her dad truly loved her he wouldn’t be trying to destroy her with these allegations.

Jenen

Posted at 9:20 AM on December 23, 2012

I believe him. She had such fake humility… Fake smile and personality and was a wannabe. I don’t get how she won or how she was even on the show to begin with, as she was already famous from her band and her roommate dates a maroon 5 member which gave her an unfair advantage as she Already had fan votes locked in. She’s just such adams whore. I’m sorry, she’s pretty and can sing but shouldn’t have won. The others were so much more gifted and original than her. I will never watch the voice again. It’s rigged!!

Alex

Posted at 9:36 PM on December 28, 2012

Dude stop. She’s not a fake for one. She wasn’t even on Adams team she was on Blakes. If her rommate was dating a Maroon 5 member she would’ve picked Adam. So what that she was already famous from her other band? Everyone deserves a chance to better themselves. She’s worked hard her entire life to get to where she is.

Ron

Posted at 10:43 AM on January 2, 2013

Jealous much?? As far as you “Not getting” how she won… well, you must have been deaf! She even had Christina all wet and wild. She was on the top of the charts, the best on the stage and not to mention she is a looker! There are a lot of singers that come on the voice from other bands, so they shouldn’t let them just because they have experience?? Man, you need to go back under that rock you crawled out from.

Ashley

Posted at 5:56 PM on December 22, 2012

She’s fake. Anyone with a brain can see thru her innocent act.

airi

Posted at 10:32 AM on December 23, 2012

no she’s not. she’s cool & not fake. sthu.

James

Posted at 8:03 PM on December 21, 2012

I think he just wants credit for raising such a talented star, but like @Amy said, there was no way he’d be able to drive her everywhere if he was working 22 hours a day, seven days a week. I think he’s full of it

Amy

Posted at 1:44 PM on December 21, 2012

If he worked 22 hours a day, seven days a week for 9 years…how did he drive her to all these competitions and talent shows?

Gina

Posted at 1:33 PM on December 21, 2012

I don’t care for her (has nothing to do with hate)..

Will

Posted at 6:06 AM on December 21, 2012

The header of this article will certainly bring out the haters. Haters love to be nasty and mean, just because their favorite contestant didn’t win they think everything is fixed and they are right (in their taste of music). Hello people! …this is realty TV of course the show is going to edit and portray people for ratings.

LH

Posted at 1:25 AM on December 21, 2012

I think they are both liars, and I think her voice is terrible. She does show deception when she speaks about her dad, and you can tell that she was lying when she spoke of him to begin with in the show. It was pretty obvious that it was for sympathy, but if I had to guess, they were probably both in on it for her to win. Didn’t that other drug addict kid movie star already do that? Anyway, I guess we’ll find out if she really does have issues, these type things have a way of creeping to the surface in a not so subtle fashion, so if she doesn’t have any obvious issues in a couple years, then we will know she was lying….

Princess

Posted at 12:05 AM on December 21, 2012

She said this in an interview about her reconciliation with her dad after not communicating with each other for a year………“I apologized as well,” Pope confessed. “I said, ‘I’m sorry, maybe I could’ve tried harder. I let my pride get in the way. Let’s just put the past in the past.”

So yeah….the old man is just bitter…let bygones be bygones….

Jim Wilkinson

Posted at 10:48 PM on December 20, 2012

Her Dad says that he “…worked 22 hours a day, seven days a week for nine years.” Really. He must be super dad. Pure B.S. Now who’s trying to get in the limelight? I think this one statement is very telling of who is speaking the truth and it ain’t him.

gbtw

Posted at 5:35 PM on December 21, 2012

you know, i know a pastry chef… it might not be 22/7, but it’s pretty damn hard and LONG hours… especially during holidays… in any case, who knows what the truth is. but, if he was a pastry chef- a REAL pastry chef, that job ain’t easy and does have ridiculous hours (tho nobody could sustain 22/7- without drugs).

Betty

Posted at 3:16 AM on December 23, 2012

I have to agree with you a 100%. That would mean he only had 14 hours a weeks to sleep and shower, and eat. hmmm sounds fishy to me, If he did that for 9 yrs his immune system would wear down within that time and he would be sick. Sounds to me like he is wanting fame.

Anna

Posted at 8:35 PM on December 20, 2012

Don’t care about her sob story, she won because she had a great voice.

Tere Santos

Posted at 8:52 AM on December 23, 2012

Exactly Anna! She had THE VOICE actually was the best of all the contestants because she was so versatile. You could hear any of the other contestants voices crack a little when they were put out of their comfort zone with a different style they weren’t used to. And by the way? why the heck did it take so long to eliminate Melanie Martinez????? geeeez yes she could carry a tune but goodness gracious! people forgot the show was called the voice… not cutie pie sweet bow baby!

panda2lovesmith

Posted at 10:05 AM on December 28, 2012

Trevin Hunte should have won. He had the best voice of all time. There’s nothing special about her I hear people with voices like that alot. It doesn’t stand out.

Barbara

Posted at 10:19 PM on January 12, 2013

I mean I was NOT trying to be mean..