‘Vampire Diaries’ Recap: Will Damon Choose To Let Elena Go?

Thu, December 6, 2012 11:48pm EDT by 134 Comments
Vampire Diaries Damon Elena Season 4 Episode 8
Courtesy of The CW

Sean

Posted at 9:21 AM on December 7, 2012

This has to be one of the funniest articles I’ve read so far. LMFAO.!!

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:17 AM on December 7, 2012

Thanks :)

madi

Posted at 9:08 AM on December 7, 2012

I REFUSEEEEEE to watch tvd if delena doesnt get a real chance! damon of course will do the right thing and break th e bond but she will not be able to get him out of her head because he is her true love, you can stop destiny! on the other hand I reallly want klaus and caroline together same with elena and damon caroline brings the good out of klaus and that would be an epic romance waiting to unfold. I just hope it doessss!(:

Melissa (@maddpappy)

Posted at 10:49 AM on December 7, 2012

only thing is that Klaus doesn’t seem to want to be good most of the time! ;)

delena

Posted at 8:14 AM on December 7, 2012

i really hope they stay true to what was said that elena is going to prove her love for damon, making this season about her proving herself

anum

Posted at 7:48 AM on December 7, 2012

I don’t get y u guys think that DE’s future is grim or doomed. Yes Elena is sired but it has been repeatedly said that sire bonds only slightly affect your actions, not your feelings. Also that a vampire can only be sired if he/she was in love with their sirer as a human thus proving Elena was in love with Damon before she turned. Her feelings just got magnified, thats it. U people r complicating the whole thing, Elena started unfalling for Stefan in season 3 but didn’t realize until now, her trust in Stefan was never that strong to begin with thus y it couldn’t compete with her trust n feelings for Damon. Elena broke up with Stefan, kissed n chose Damon of her own accord, Damon never told her to do any of it. If u think that Elena chose Damon because thats what would’ve made him happy n Elena being sired to him would prove y she did what she did, then what about the fact that Damon’s biggest desire is for everything to be REAL between him n Elena, so that argument is completely absurd.
Didn’t u guys see the way she stood up to Caroline n Bonnie n defended Damon again n again. The way she fought for her n Damon n her love for him when Damon was about to end things n let her go. Elena is fighting for herself n Damon, she is becoming more alive, more care-free n is happier with Damon now because this is who she was all along.
The writers have put this obstacle in DE’s path for fans to doubt the authenticity of Elena’s feeling thus giving her a chance to remove every doubt n prove that her love is 100% real n true. I get that u guys want a happy-perfect DE relationship but if everything would be easy n smooth then DE would end soon. The reason y the writers r putting all these bumps is:
a) they still want to build DE up, to get to that perfect n final point when all these sacrifices n angst would pay off
b) they r not writing DE as just a fling but r making it ‘stronger than ever’ like Julie said. They won’t be torn apart, rest assured of that. Thats how u write endgame couples! DE has finally begun n will continue to survive. Don’t worry!
P.S When Stefan said ‘Damon loves Elena just as much as I do’, sorry Stef but u r wrong because Damon loves Elena far more than u. I know u love Elena n would do anything for her but fact remains that u can’t love Elena as a vampire n u want to ‘fix’ her because she reminds u of Katherine whereas Damon loves n accepts Elena just the way she is.

delena fan

Posted at 6:48 AM on December 7, 2012

Hey, BTW this sire bond crap, wouldn’t it have been more predictable if it had been between Damon and Katherine? I mean he was head over heels for her and her blood turned him, because he wanted to be a vampire!

Sam

Posted at 9:06 AM on December 7, 2012

Great point! This sire bond crap is FULL of holes and mistakes…they should’ve left that out and introduce some other storyline that made more sense, if they were so bent on not letting Damon and Elena be together, in peace, for once…hell, we never really got to have one normal episode without having it smeared with Caroline’s snarky and jealous comments…on episode 4×07 she whined her way over the whole sex scene, during the morning after she continued spewing her venom, and when they were having the girl’s night she couldn’t control herself and continued her attacks on Damon and Elena…I hate Caroline now..she is a prick….arggg.

delena fan

Posted at 9:45 AM on December 7, 2012

@Sam
I hate Caroline too she’s such a bitch. Get off your high horse Caroline! A) You had sex with Damon too and thought he was hot, B) You’re bonding with Klaus of all people, who has made every person’s life you care about a living hell!

mvk

Posted at 3:55 PM on December 7, 2012

Good one Sam. I totally agree with you about everything. I think they ruined the scene jumping back and forth making us listen to jealous and whinny Caroline. It made me dislike her. Everyone has to agree with her about Damon when she doesn’t even know what she is talking about half the time. Talk abut jealous. She wishes she was sired to Damon. Caroline has been a prick for a long time.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:17 AM on December 7, 2012

Yeah, that girl from The Nanny felt super random.

kim

Posted at 11:00 AM on December 7, 2012

This thing just works for women to be sired to vampires

Mandy

Posted at 5:48 AM on December 7, 2012

I massively enjoyed alpha!Tyler tonight. He’s finally harnessed that unrepentant rage into something far more useful: pack alpha! I definitely had the hots for Trevino this week.

Lois

Posted at 4:38 AM on December 7, 2012

I just love Delena…on and off screen. I hope that kind of connection is real, i want it….i pray for it…the kind that will last till eternity… Sire or not Damon and Ian got the girls (nina and elena)…. And Rach do you still wonder y all d ladies av bin in Damon’s bed?? Hu can resist dat young man?? He is S-E-X-Y

mvk

Posted at 3:08 AM on December 7, 2012

Hey Rach, what do you expect. Damon’s been around for 150 years, so he had a few girlfriends. So has Stefan. Damon has just been misunderstood and never could find the right girl. lol I just hope the Julie Plec finally gives him his chance. He is content to have everyoe believe he is a bad guy, when he really isn’t. His brother has been his main concern his whole life. He tries to take care of him and everyone else. It is his time now for happiness.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:17 AM on December 7, 2012

Julie Plec may be making “Delena” fans sad, but hey, she’s giving Ian some great material to work with.

dei

Posted at 2:54 AM on December 7, 2012

i dont get this vampire diary..had a dvd marathon from season1-3..and boy was i teary eyed on most episodes! either someone died, or a couple broke up..it’s so heavy! cmon, the connection between damon & elena is so strong. & stefan did the right thing by breaking up with her, coz damon saw elena first at mystic falls..i dont think elena is being sired. her feelings are real..she just became more open abt it now that she’s a vampire. obviously..i go for damon lol

Wes

Posted at 4:45 AM on December 7, 2012

Read a comment once that Damon and Elena are the real deal and Stefan managed to get himself caught in the middle, messing with fate. Damon meets Elena, Stefan Meets Elena, Stefan gets obsessed and Stalks Elena, Stefan creates an elaborate lie and seduces Elena, Damon reunites with Elena, Damon supports Elena, Stefan Dumps Elena, Damon and Elena finally become official.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:18 AM on December 7, 2012

You’re right, it IS too heavy. There should be an episode where everybody goes to the beach or something.

Rach

Posted at 12:54 AM on December 7, 2012

yeah, so hot, sleeping with Damon. Who also slept with Caroline. And Isabelle. And Andie. And Charlotte. And Brie. And Sage. And Rose. And Rebekah. and murdered Lexi, as well as an attempted murder on her brother. And that poor girl Jessica on the street in season 2. All this done while his emotions were on.

dei

Posted at 2:46 AM on December 7, 2012

haha this was funny..my thoughts exactly!

Cam

Posted at 5:14 AM on December 7, 2012

Yeah, that’s called being single! Do you have any idea how many women an average guy sleeps with in a year? Damon’s practically celibate! And sorry to say, he has his emotions turned off with Sage, Charlotte, Isabelle, Caroline, I did it chronologically for you. He turned his emotions on after he started falling for Elena but all he did with these girls was without humanity. Unlike Stefan who had his humanity intact when he KILLED Andie. which he never apologized for…hmmm. Yeah Damon may have killed Lexi, but he had his humanity off and they hated each other, Andie was an innocent that Stefan tortured and killed. And Stefan LIED his way into Elena’s pants, he is deceitful, shady and manipulative. Damon is no saint, but everything he has done with Elena he did without lying, he said it a few times he wanted it to be real with Elena, sadly Stefan has always done the opposite. So Wes you’re totally right with your assessment!!

Sam

Posted at 9:00 AM on December 7, 2012

@ Rach… Oh, c’mon…he might’ve slept with a lot of women but he is single and entitled to do whatever he wants to do. The important thing here is that he loves Elena no matter who and what she is, and how many times she has refused him and abused him knowing he is in love with her. Yes, she has inflicted heavy duty emotional pain on him but Damon has never abandoned her. Even Elena appreciates the fact (as she told Caroline) that he has ALWAYS been there for her when she needed him. The argument that Damon is this or did that is getting old and desperate…he is a vampire and killing is in their nature, but the transformation he has gone throughout the show is amazing…he is a different “person” now and Elena sees that, and that honey, is what matters…you are as hypocritical as Caroline (who has become a totally judgmental jerk) and I LOVED the fact Elena called her on the fact that when she first slept with Damon she wasn’t compelled, she did it because she liked him. Caroline, being the asshole she is, couldn’t even give her a straight answer and came out with that pathetic excuse she gave her…brrrrr…I love THIS Elena! She is not a taking any prisoners and telling people off left and right…I love it! Go DELENA!

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:22 AM on December 7, 2012

Oh, God… You had to say Sage, didn’t you? lol

Melissa (@maddpappy)

Posted at 10:57 AM on December 7, 2012

One thing: you do realize that he has been alone and the more alone he is and the more he gives up, the worse he gets? Granted he can make better choices, and he is aware how he can be bad, but he is trying. Lexi worked with Stefan for YEARS. Stefan was so snide last episode when he got a chance, apologized and did t again. Damon even let him go so he could find his way which shows even the viewer doesn’t have all the facts. Even if someone has been bad, if they try to be good (as far as the show) are they not worth some redemption? Stefan killed Andie on his own, he blatantly refused to help Jeremy in life threatening situations as well. On and on, they “both” really suck at being good people. Its just TV :P and it was not a flame. I hope finding real love would stop his man-whoring. I laughed when Caroline said that because it was true and unfair.

Sasha

Posted at 12:24 AM on December 7, 2012

My prediction is that, yes, Damon will be unselfish with Elena (AGAIN) and will set her free on episode 9… She will then be free to explore her feelings without the bond and that is when she will realize she loves him for real…no bond, no doubts, nothing to hold them back, just pure, unadulterated, “soul-mate” kind of love. Damon and Elena will be endgame… IT HAS TO!!!
I can’t see Stefan taking her back after finding out she has strong feelings for his brother…I hope the writers don’t turn him into the proverbial “doormat”. Stefan deserves better than that, but his time with Elena has expired..Well, a girl can always dream, can’t she? I am sooo waiting for this dream of mine to come true…Delena forever!!!

...

Posted at 12:20 AM on December 7, 2012

in the preview for the next episode Damon is all like “i wabt to throw you in my bed and never let you go” and then Elena is all like “then do it”..,
and then im all like yay!!.. maybe there us hope for the…
im hopeful!!!…

Lacy (@lace0586)

Posted at 12:16 AM on December 7, 2012

Well I think Damon will listen to Elena and keep the bond…just for now to get on track with the romance of thier relationship. Don’t get me wrong the making love was out of this world but they need time to really understand and fall deeper in love so when he just can’t handle the nagging doubt anymore he’ll break it. In a way he is being selfish but so is Stefan. Who cares who she loves if she is happy. And Stefan is just hoping she wouldnt have made the “action” of breaking up with him if she wasnt sired. But the witch told him and Damon she had feelings for him before she turned. Stefan has no right to be pissed and it doesnt matter if he breaks it or leaves it because it all would have happened over time anyway when Elena kept having her feelings grow for Damon.Curiosity gets the best of all of us eventually. Just my opinion.

mvk

Posted at 12:06 AM on December 7, 2012

Judging by the other blogs on this site and others, TVD is going to lose a lot of viewers if Damon and Elena go south. Hopefully the writers (i.e. Julie Plec) will be listening and reading.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:22 AM on December 7, 2012

I don’t think Julie or the show should be too worried about losing viewers. I will go down with this ship!

Melissa (@maddpappy)

Posted at 11:01 AM on December 7, 2012

Agreed. They were losing people not showing the real aspect of a real love triangle. You cant just have one couple the entire show. They have to break up and create angst and desire. In what show does this ever happen? Its as bad as some DE fans saying I’m not going to watch if…and some of us did because of the constant tease. Just enjoy the ride and see if Elena finds her way back to Stefan. Isn’t that desire what keeps people coming back. PINE like we did. If they reunite…it’ll blow your mind!

mvk

Posted at 4:04 PM on December 7, 2012

Andy you’re right. Me too, even thought I say I’m not.

delena fan

Posted at 11:59 PM on December 6, 2012

As a Delena fan I haven’t really liked Stefan’s character since season 1. I always thought too much of him resembled Edward from twilight. The whole stelena story is a bit too twilighty for me really. And season 3 making him a ripper didn’t make it better, it made it worse, because Elena still chose him after all he did to her (he bit her, he told her to stop searching for her, he drove her to wickery bridge threatening to turn her into a vampire etc.). The low point was at the S3 finale when he saved Matt instead of her at her request. I mean, even Edward would have chosen to save Bella in that same situation (proof: he wanted to save Bella from the pregnancy, even though she didn’t want to). Even Edward, the most whipped guy in history, wouldn’t have saved Matt! I always thought Stefan shouldn’t let Elena totally rule their relationship, but I most say that the Stefan I have seen in season 4 has gotten some of my respect back for him. I thought the way he acted in this episode was very humane of him. The things he said and did this episode, made him a character that makes it easier for me to understand his point of view. He seemed like a person with both compassion, but also true human feelings like jealousy. Before this he has been the all evil ripper or the “saint” animal blood feeding lovey dovey vampire. But stelena fans, make no mistake, I still want delena more than anything and I really think that Stefan would be better suited with Caroline or Katherine or some new character.

mvk

Posted at 11:54 PM on December 6, 2012

I’m done. I’m done with TVD. My friends and I have waited over three years for Damon and elena to get together and now we have all this sire bond crap over our heads. This is bulls..t. We know Julie Plec loves Stefan and Elena together and she will never let Damon have his shot for the next year much less two seasons. I really have had enough. I am going to start taping the shows so I can just watch Klaus hopefully without whinny Caroline. If I even tape it at all.

Cam

Posted at 12:08 AM on December 7, 2012

I feel the same way. I had a total breakdown at the end. I actually cried and screamed! I can’t take this emotional torture anymore. Just when we thought for ONCE just ONCE there was hope, its ripped away. Delena fans were denied ONE DAY OF HAPPINESS. We couldn’t even enjoy the morning sex because YET AGAIN Caroline and dumbass were talking, and please Julie, the song from Twilight? Really? There are a million better songs to use. Total let down. I just can’t watch Damon suffer anymore. I can’t, and that makes me selfish. I have to preserve my heart. And this show is breaking it.

cici

Posted at 11:48 PM on December 6, 2012

Vote twilight and Kristen Stewart at 2013 people choice awards vote now

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:23 AM on December 7, 2012

You take your trolling elsewhere!

Kayla

Posted at 11:45 PM on December 6, 2012

Aawwww I don’t want them to break up I love them together seriously I will stop watching it for delena this is serious sheet right now

Sih_K

Posted at 11:44 PM on December 6, 2012

I’m a brazilian girl and every day I acess this site and I love it. Thank you for everything. I love The Vampire Diaries and all about it. Sorry for my bad english, I speak better than write, so sorry.

Mary

Posted at 11:28 PM on December 6, 2012

Too good to be true this episode…Delena all the way!!! FINALLYYY!!!!!

On other territory, 12 was the number Damon killed so that the witch could get whatever dark powers she wanted, 12 was the number of people that died on the crazy explosion on the first episode of this season, and 12 is the number of unsired hybrids creepy-sexy Shane needs….can’t wait to see when will all of this unfold…

Grace

Posted at 11:58 PM on December 6, 2012

Omgosh I didnt evan think of that mary

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:50 AM on December 7, 2012

It must have to do with the 12 12 12 concert for Hurricane Sandy. Clearly.

delena fan

Posted at 11:24 PM on December 6, 2012

@Andy
Caroline was a total bitch this episode! I’m really starting to resent her character! I think Damon and Elena will start an on off relationship: she’s going to beg him to stay and he is going to give in but then feel guilty afterwards and break up with her all over again. I’m not sure I’m cool with it as a Delena fan, I still think this sire bond was a cheap trick by the writers to keep stelena fans happy. I mean most delena fans, me included were pissed at last weeks episode because of Caroline sire bond blabber and the sex scene mixed together. But at least some of my good will towards the writers came back with this episode because of the delena morning scene and the fact that Elena (as every delena fan already knew, but it was nice to get it confirmed) already had feelings for Damon as a human. Hey, Andy BTW didn’t you catch the detail about Bonnie calling her new magic style “expression” just like the New Orleans witch called her mother’s human life sacrificing magic?

jelly

Posted at 11:18 PM on December 6, 2012

hey andy i love this blog or w.e it is but if you recall the fire of the counsel idk how many people died in it but the guy said it was just the beginning and yea then 12 hybrids then the thing with the witch and the sacrifice omg its crazy

delena fan

Posted at 11:29 PM on December 6, 2012

@jelly
Wow! Didn’t connect the dots as far as you did, but you’re so on the right track! 12 council members and Bonnie using a new kind of magic (the same as wicked new orleans witch)? I hope Bonnie and all the others figure out that Shane is really on some kind of weird mission of his own?

jenna

Posted at 11:11 PM on December 6, 2012

Dear Paul Wesley, you are a GREAT actor. Unfortunately, the writers of this show have favored Ian since this show has started. I think it’s kind of like Dawson’s creek and everyone knows Kevin W. lovedddd Josh now Ian is the new Josh. The writers have given Ian the best fight scenes, touching scenes, being a player with the women, now they’ve given a passionate love making scene to Ian. Hope when Paul’s contract is up he moves on. Let Ian stay on the cw. In a couple of years he’ll be playing a cop or Arrow or something. Paul on the other hand will make great movies on the big sceen. I don’t like how they’ve treated Paul so I’m not watching TVD’s anymore. Before the Delena bullies start. Hope the ratings don’t go down. Where’s the show gonna go now? It’s sick that Damon has now had s- ex with his brothers girlfriend. It would be even sicker to have her be with Stefan again. Bye

tina perry

Posted at 11:09 PM on December 6, 2012

i think he will not break the sire bond just yet

dei

Posted at 2:58 AM on December 7, 2012

we can dream lol. when damon and elena is finally getting closer, the writers are there to ruin it. deymmmm!

Amanda

Posted at 11:03 PM on December 6, 2012

GO DELENA!!!! He needs to break it for 1 episode and then get back together with her without the sire bond re-bonding. Stelena had 3 seasons, and us Delena fans will NOT stand for just 2 episodes. HELL NO. WE WANT MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Laura

Posted at 11:11 PM on December 6, 2012

Dam right we want more. This sire bond crap has to go. D/E have always been super hot together but now they are downright explosive and it’s just tv dynamite that is literally killing us, at least the delena fans anyway, the S/E’s will have to suffer it as we did with when she was with Stefan.

Stefana

Posted at 1:10 AM on December 7, 2012

this is just a tv show come on people…it doesn’t matter who is elena going to be with…Nina and Ian are together in real life..:)))))))))))))

delena

Posted at 8:02 AM on December 7, 2012

yeah cuz you obviously don’t care. You use stefana as your name you obviously want s/e not d/e

Andy Swift