‘Vampire Diaries’ Recap: Elena Faces Her First Kill

Thu, November 8, 2012 9:48pm EDT by 62 Comments
Vampire Diaries Season 4 Episode 5
Courtesy of The CW

anam

Posted at 6:45 AM on November 9, 2012

@delena fan The writers r not following the books. Books n the show share little to no resemblance. In the books Elena doesn’t have a brother, Caroline is her biggest enemy, Bonnie isn’t a witch she is just psychic. Damon n Stefan r both 500 years old n whenever someone turns into a vampire, they r sired to the person whose blood turned. Also in the books, there r guardians n kitsune fox spirit n the dark dimension etc. There is very little n slight similarity between the books n the show. Julie n all the writers said they won’t be following the books otherwise the whole story would be too predictable. L J Smith is the original author n she wanted a DE endgame but she was fired. In her last book ‘midnight’ Elena was going to choose Damon but then he died
‘Elena couldnot imagine a universe no matter how many dimensions there were without Damon in it. There is no world for her if there’s no Damon’
But the ghost writers’ books r going to end with SE but that doesn’t matter, what’s happening on the show really matters n the writers r building Delena with such care n caution, to be endgame. DE Forever<3

delena fan

Posted at 7:40 AM on November 9, 2012

@anam. Totally agree. The books are just an inspiration source to the tv series. I think they only took the characters from the books, nothing more. And the characters in the books differ a lot from the tv series: Caroline becomes a werewolf, Tyler is an enemy, Klaus dies after almost none existing participation, there is no original family, no Jeremy and Meredith in the books share only the same name and love interest in the tv series. Do you like the books??? I really find them so confusing and bad, I wouldn’t recommend the books to any of my friends, even if they wathced the show. I love the tv series and I find it more exciting than the twilight series, but I have to say that Stephanie Meyer is the really talented writer who made the whole “vampire cult phenomenon” such a success. L.J. Smith’s first vampire diaries novel was published in 1991, but the vampires became really hot with twilight a decade later. What does that say about L.J. Smith’s writing skills??? The only reason TVD (tv) exists is because of the twilight success.

Claire

Posted at 7:55 AM on November 9, 2012

I respect your opinion @anam, and I respect all the DE fans who have faith, good for you, but I am pretty sure, 100% sure, that about DE is all bones and we will never see them together, Elena and Stefan I agree that they are very much alike, and Elena no matter what will be with Stefan, they showed that over and over again, they are the love story of the show, producers wrtiters told so, we don´t like that couple but they do. What they are doing with Stefan and Elena is showing that no matter the lies, differences they come back together.

Meiyee

Posted at 6:42 AM on November 9, 2012

There should be a hell lot of minus points for Stefan here. Elena was really mad at Stefan in the end and that wasn’t even a part of this scoring.

Claire

Posted at 4:56 AM on November 9, 2012

They are following the books more than we thing, and everybody knows how it ends.

delena fan

Posted at 5:04 AM on November 9, 2012

How does it end? I have read some of the books, but I stopped because I taught they were to confusing and badly written. I mean the dark dimension? Angels coming back to life??? Kitsunes??? While I was reading I couldn’t see the picture of what was happening as I read it. And that is how at least I define a book worth reading.

Mandy

Posted at 4:23 AM on November 9, 2012

So I’m thinking back as far as season 2, and I’ve read the books, but something struck me as odd about Damon’s expression when he forced Stefan to confess about the cure.

In season 2, Damon said, “I have a secret . . . I miss being human more than anything in the WORLD.”

I… I am seriously thinking Damon wants the cure for himself more than anything.

delena fan

Posted at 5:00 AM on November 9, 2012

I see your point, but I don’t think he wants the cure for himself, I think he was telling the truth when he said that he would help Stefan for Stefan, not for Elena. I know that Damon loves to be a vampire, when he said “I miss being human more than anything in the world” I think he actually meant “I miss being loved by someone in return”. I think he just wanted Elena to love him and he knew he had done so many bad things as a vampire, that he taught Elena couldn’t love him for who he was/is.

Mandy

Posted at 1:54 AM on November 10, 2012

I agree that Damon just wants reciprocation, but the funny thing about alcohol is that it lowers inhibitions. Damon misses being human. Damon also relishes being a vampire, which he admitted in the same breath. He’s conflicted, but after years of living and much of it blowing up in his face, I can see the human life looking quite attractive by comparison.

Damon will always be best as a vampire. But Damon is also wonderful as a human. The problem is, he’ll never be that human again–that naive, trusting, sweet man he used to be. He’s hardened now.

I think he lusts for the chance, but in the end he may decide being a vampire is preferable.

manideepa barua

Posted at 4:13 AM on November 9, 2012

it might be challenging for nina dobrev(elena gilbert) to be a blood sucker.

d.harris

Posted at 3:59 AM on November 9, 2012

first thank you andy,this is one story on this site that really brings me bach on this site again and again,and you know how to make me stay.well is really hard this time for me becouse is difficult for me to decide and that is the sweet part—-wether elena stays a vampire or not.well i still do not have the answer and is increasing my excitement because i know that suprise is no the way.thank you andy ,keep entertaining us.i cannot wait. as for the love triangle ,it keep gettinf crazy-i love them all.am not coplaining at all for now.

delena fan

Posted at 3:55 AM on November 9, 2012

And once again she blames Damon for her misery. Thank God though that she didn’t believe Stefan and his crap either. This problem could have been solved if Stefan just had told the truth to Damon and Elena in the first place. And yes I know that that would have given her “false” hope, but I still think it would have been the best solution in this situation.

delena fan

Posted at 3:54 AM on November 9, 2012

I think Damon’s question to Stefan was a very fair and valid question. We Delena fans have all been arguing that Stefan loved the human Elena and now that she is gone… well doesn’t his feelings change at all towards her? I hate the way Stefan thinks he must protect her from everything and doesn’t think she can handle it. We all saw that she is capable of killing a hunter. Don’t shield her from the hardships of the world, she can handle it.

delena fan

Posted at 3:53 AM on November 9, 2012

Loved the scene with Jeremy and Elena. Jeremy showed some true faith in her, he knew she wouldn’t hurt him, now the only thing she has to do is believe in herself like Jeremy and Damon do. BTW didn’t you all get the feeling that Jeremy is the next hunter? D and S would perhaps not have to look so far after all… Do you think the hunter (Connor) is really dead???

Stelena fan

Posted at 5:18 AM on November 9, 2012

Yes Jeremy is the next hunter.

delena fan

Posted at 3:53 AM on November 9, 2012

Wow, Damon is once again going to help Stefan “save” Elena, even though it seems like a hopeless mission, or at least the odds of it being succesful and worth it vs the risks are kind of bad. But at least he is doing it for his brother this time and not for the ungrateful Elena.

delena fan

Posted at 3:53 AM on November 9, 2012

I don’t like the writers portraiting Elena as this sad winy vampire. Have some guts for god’s sake! I liked the way she took control and showed Damon that she can handle it, but that all was ruined when she cried over the hunter, who she practicly killed in selfdefence. Stop feeling so sorry for everyone all the time Elena, sometimes you have to put yourself first and not think twice about it.

Claire

Posted at 3:56 AM on November 9, 2012

I totally agree with you. But as I said they are making Stefan and Elena very similar, to justify their coupling.

Claire

Posted at 3:31 AM on November 9, 2012

Andy (and guys) as for this non existent triangle, what they are doing is throwing bones, especially for Delena, they know the fans very well. Still have to see Delena happening and SE breaking up for good and forever, which won´t happen. This Delena thing only comes from Damon´s side, Elena deep down is like Stefan, they are building these two characters alike to justify Elena and Stefan´s relationship and epic love and in the end endgame. We will end season 4 asking for some kind of evolution and complaining for the same exact things.

Wes

Posted at 2:04 AM on November 9, 2012

I think you put more into that grave scene then was there. Stefan lost HUGE points when Elena “added it all up” and realized that Stefan was playing them and her. She was beyond pissed at Stefan at the end of that Ep. “I thought I could trust you.” and no response. She did what Damon told her to do, she was not blaming him, she is dealing with what she feels as losing herself. I don’t think she was scapegoating Damon. It should be noted that next Ep she is still extremely mad at Stefan, and still confiding in Damon. My point is, you missed some major factors in adding things up.

EL

Posted at 1:33 AM on November 9, 2012

Damon FTW. It’s so clear that Damon is the better choice…Stefan prefers Elena one way, Damon loves her no matter what. Elena is in the midst of discovering who she is, and Stefan keeps trying to mold her into his version of what is right (he’s comes across as controlling, imo)….meanwhile, Damon is letting her explore her options and not being overly judgmental. Basically, imo Stefan comes across as a man who sees the world in black and white….which hurts him…He expends so much time and energy attempting to be purely good, that he snaps and goes over to the truly dark side “the ripper.” Damon sees the world is shades of gray. Stefan may have been her first love, but he doesn’t value her ability to make her own choices. So yeah, Damon FTW. Plus, I agree that Nina is getting to be quite a good actress.

artzzz

Posted at 12:13 AM on November 9, 2012

Omg you forgot some stuff Andy… at least +10 points to Delena cuz Elena listened to Damon and at least -5 or -10 points for stolen since Elena gets extremely mad at Stefan at the end…

mvk

Posted at 12:01 AM on November 9, 2012

Also, I think you need to change the scoring. I think Damon earned more points than Stefan. Especially at the end when he told Stefan he would do it for him. That is big brotherly love.

mvk

Posted at 11:44 PM on November 8, 2012

I diffinately think there was more going on with Tyler and Hayley. She wouldn;t have gone all the way to Mystic Falls otherwise. I am not liking Elena as a vamp or even human anymore. I think she is whishy washy and she uses Damon too much. she cares for him but she doesn’t want anyone to know. Bonnie is another one i’m not liking anymore. She has become too judgemental and blames Damon for everything that goes wrong. If I were Damon, I wouldn’t be so quick to forgive Stefan.

anam

Posted at 11:07 PM on November 8, 2012

Andy PLEASE change the points board, DE is a clear winner. Damon loves Elena unconditionally n honestly whether human or a vampire, he will ALWAYS love her, that deserves 10000 points and now he is going to find the cure for Stefan’s sake. Damon has grown so much, also does anyone realize now that Connor is dead, Damon will leave. I really want him to so that Elena can realize n come to terms with how much he means to her, how she is herself around him and how much she loves him. Elena needs that sort of realization or epiphany. @subhadeep U took the words out of my mouths. But Elena won’t run back to Stefan, this season is about her growing up, maturing and embracing who she truly is and what she truly wants (Damon). Stefan is just holding Elena back n making vague promises n doing little to nothing to help the situation. Delena Forever<3

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:56 PM on November 8, 2012

I agree, but he didn’t really do enough in front of her face this week to earn more points.

I’m really liking this season so far.

Ana

Posted at 10:22 PM on November 8, 2012

I prefer elena like a vampire. I dont like this cure. This show is about vampires, not humans!

subhadeep

Posted at 10:46 PM on November 8, 2012

absolutely. I’m with you 100 % percent. true love is unconditional and that is what damn said he will love her either way compared to Stefan’s diplomatic and downright hypocritical answer. Also this episode clearly set down in no uncertain terms that as far as being two-faced and liar is concerned Stefan is top of the game. He should be a lawyer. If Elena continues to run back to him after this
then i pity the poor girl’s sanity ( not that she was completely sane to begin with but whatever sanity is left stelena will be sure to suck it out and leave her a blubbering and possibly suicidal idiot)

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:56 PM on November 8, 2012

I’m not a fan of the cure, either. Seems like a cheap way out.

Vikki

Posted at 10:17 PM on November 8, 2012

Damon: “I’m fine with her either way brother” +1 000 000 points!!!
Nina posh!

Ana

Posted at 10:17 PM on November 8, 2012

Andy, did you forget the main? Damon loves elena anyway. she can be human or vampire! Team delena 100000000000000000000 points

Jenny

Posted at 10:13 PM on November 8, 2012

Nina super actress,Elena surprised me!

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:58 PM on November 8, 2012

Same, she’s getting better and better!

sarah

Posted at 10:10 PM on November 8, 2012

Yes this is the Damon and Elena Diaries.

x

Posted at 10:04 PM on November 8, 2012

“this is different. this is huge. it was stefan that set elena up for this killing. he manipulated the entire situation, left her brother bleeding from a gunshot wound to the gut, and then withheld the information about connor that led her to kill him.”

Anne Richter

Posted at 9:58 PM on November 8, 2012

Damon will love Elena either way unlike Stefan. I think that deserves at least 100 points.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:57 PM on November 8, 2012

He just needs to say it to her face a little more.