‘Private Practice’ Ending After Six Seasons

Sat, October 20, 2012 10:22am EDT by 28 Comments
Private Practice Ending
Courtesy of ABC

Creator Shonda Rhimes has revealed that ‘Private Practice’ will end after six seasons on ABC. Are YOU sad to see it go?

The Grey’s Anatomy spinoff Private Practice, featuring Derek Shepherd’s (Patrick Dempsey) ex-wife Addison Montgomery (Kate Walsh), miracuously lasted six seasons and will culminate after 113 episode — a feat that many shows could only hope to achieve.

Creator Shonda Rhimes used her own website, Shondaland, to make the sad announcement, saying:

“I’m sad to say that Private Practice’s run will end after episode 613 this season. There was a lot of discussion and debate but, in the end, the guys at the network and the studio and I all decided that Private Practice was reaching its finish line. Creatively, we are all extremely proud of the show and especially proud of this season — which you will all soon discover is a creative renaissance. I can’t wait for you to see it.

“It’s heartbreaking to end. Truly. I feel so lucky to write for these characters and tell these stories and I truly feel this show has taught me so much as a writer. And there’s a family here, of crew and cast, people who have bonded over these past five and a half seasons. It’s rare for a show to go for more than 100 episodes and we are incredibly proud to have been such a show. And we’re grateful to all of you for spending time with us for an hour every week for the last 6 years. It’s meant the world.

“Thank you.”

Kate announced she would be leaving the series, regardless if the show continued past the sixth and current season, on an episode of Bethenny in June.

“It’s been an incredible journey and an amazing ride,” Kate said at the time. “I feel incredibly grateful to [Private Practice creator] Shonda Rhimes and all the fans that have been there from day one ’til now.”

We suppose the network could not envision a Private Practice without its star. Can you?

What do you think of Private Practice ending, HollywoodLifers?

— Chris Rogers

Marsha Marsha Marsha

Posted at 11:34 PM on March 22, 2014

It was a great show.They probably just ran out of things to write about.I find that many good shows start to suck if they last more than 5 years,so may e it is good that they ended things on a good note.

Alice

Posted at 11:43 AM on January 30, 2013

OH NO! Best show ever. Private Practice and Grey’s Anatomy are the only shows I watch on a weekly basis. Sad to see this one come to an end, but KUDOS to the actors and writer for your 113 shows!

Bonnie

Posted at 3:35 PM on January 25, 2013

Very sad to see the show come to an end. I t was one of my favorite all time shows.

Tina

Posted at 8:15 AM on January 24, 2013

Iam a little disappointed. Shondra job well done. To the entire team Private Practice I send you blessing and continue success.

Tina

Kim

Posted at 1:18 AM on January 23, 2013

Im so sad and mad to see this come to an end! :( What will I do on Tuesdays!So NOT HAPPY with SHONDRA for cancelling my show! SO love all her work! :(
I’ll miss you all!…Addison (Red), Sam, Sheldon, Pete (RIP), Cooper, Violet, Mason, the triplets, Jake(DR.DREAMMY II), Naomi, Amelia, Charlotte (Not so much)
Glad for the happy ending, esp Sam and Naomi (those other relationships esp with Red were sick)…anywho
Dont be discouraged- you all are #1
This was another home run! Right with Greys and Scandal- you all are wonderful!
#teamprivatepractice

linda

Posted at 4:58 PM on January 23, 2013

sooo upset that it has ended,I looked foward to it every Tues Night.one of my favorite shows
bring it back pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Kimberly White

Posted at 12:14 AM on January 23, 2013

So, so, sad.

Kimberly White

Posted at 12:13 AM on January 23, 2013

If so many people are upset for it to end, then why have it end? This show, as well as “Grey’s Anatomy ‘ have been two of my most favorite shows. It is like being part of a show where u feel like they are your family and cry as they cry. So disappointed to see it end.

Lisa

Posted at 5:02 PM on January 22, 2013

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. I was extremely sad to hear that it is going to end and in the middle of a great season. I also watch Greys Anatomy and I would hate to see it go as well. I hope that all the characters know how much they are adored for all they have done on this show. Thank you for a GREAT 5 1/2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leigh Pierce

Posted at 11:17 AM on January 21, 2013

Sad

Deb

Posted at 1:50 AM on January 21, 2013

I’m SO disappointed! A great show I look forward to every week.

Debbie Kingma

Posted at 8:34 PM on January 19, 2013

What is wrong with ABC – they are going to keep canceling shows and replacing them with trash. I think we should stop watching all ABC shows as a protest!

Beverly

Posted at 10:46 AM on January 19, 2013

The storyline just keeps getting better n better to end now. So sad

Jenny

Posted at 11:59 PM on January 18, 2013

I think ending the show now is just going to leave so many unanswered questions. I understand that shows have their “time” (like E.R. after 500 seasons although I still miss the show). But just like “House”, this is not the time the “Private Practice” to end. The show hasn’t even been moving in the direction as if it were ending and now, all of the sudden, BOOM…it’s being taken away from us who really enjoy it. I am, for one, extremely saddened and kinda pissed that this is it. It would have been nice to have been warned way before now or at least finish the season.

maureen

Posted at 6:47 PM on January 18, 2013

this is a big mistake keeep it going

JEC

Posted at 4:36 PM on January 18, 2013

I love this show. Hate to see it go. I don’t watch the reality tv shows. I think the network made a mistake by moving the show to another night. It was a good show after Grey’s Anatomy. Private Practice needed a good lead in show after it was moved to Tuesdays.

Robin Runk

Posted at 9:12 AM on January 18, 2013

It is a true bummer for me i love this show and hate that is going to be done. It was a show that was not full of rapists and shootings and peta files and all those things in the cop shows. I loved it and will tuely miss it. Wish it were staying on!!!!!!

Linda Cole

Posted at 8:43 PM on January 17, 2013

I’m so, so sorry to see this show end. The characters were so real.

lynn

Posted at 9:25 AM on January 17, 2013

Just found out that the show is ending….so sad.Private Practice is one of few television shows that are worth watching

Donna Francesco

Posted at 7:48 PM on January 16, 2013

really going to miss private practice , love all the actors , wish it could continue on , not to many good shows on the air any more , think a lot of folks can relate to the people in this show and in greys anatomy 2 good shows !

Renee

Posted at 7:17 PM on January 16, 2013

I just found out that Private Practice is ending!!! I think it’s sad because all the characters were finding themselves and now it ends. Ugh! I feel that the show could very easily be successful without Addison. Maybe she could join Pete. A lot of the new shows are too violent or demonic and most likely includes weapons. I applaud Shonda for her awesome ability to create shows that are well written and always waiting to see what happens next!!! I’m sure Greys Anatomy will soon follow. I am kinda done with Greys!

michele

Posted at 10:48 PM on January 15, 2013

NO IT CANT END!!!! I’m so so sad!!! I cant wait to watch it!!!! The entire cast is so AWESOME!!! :((((((

Terry Levy

Posted at 11:12 PM on December 4, 2012

If I see another reality show added to the countless reality shows that pollute my mind, I think I shall give up watching television all together. Do the networks think that people are this shallow? Please bring back good television, I beg you!

kaylene

Posted at 10:38 PM on November 26, 2012

Fine with me. Addison has had sex with almost every guy on the show. Seesh

michelle

Posted at 7:00 PM on October 31, 2012

I agree reality shows is all you see anymore, they took off Brothers and Sisters and now Private Practice, I guess Greys will be next. Sucks

loretta Montano

Posted at 5:05 PM on October 20, 2012

Its really sad that these shows are going off the air all they have is reality shows TV is not what it used to be.

Jill

Posted at 11:09 PM on January 15, 2013

I will probly not watch scandal anymore this makes me really sad I hope that Greys will not be next why take such a great show off take scandal off instead nobody is happy about this descison alot of people are not happy with this descion So sad did not make my day and alot of people are sad to see a great show go off take scandal off instead

taymi

Posted at 11:36 PM on January 20, 2013

Take Scandal off?? What does that have to do with Private Practice? I am a huge fan of Private Practice and an even bigger fan of Scandal, but one has nothing to do with the other. I hate to see PP go as well, but Shonda has said that she has to stay true to her story….even if we dont agree with it. :(